passing yards a game  199.8  220.9
yards per attempt       7.8    6.5
rushing yards a game   32.8   28.7
yards per rush          5.7    5.7
touch downs            21     23
interceptions           8      7
completion %           58.4   60.6
games                  16     15

You mean other than Alex only managing to compile 116 more yards and 2 TD's despite attempting 92 more passes than Kaep did.

Also...

Rating: Kaep- 91.6 (10th in NFL), Alex- 89.1 (14th in NFL)
Total QBR: Kaep- 68.6 (7th in NFL), Alex- 49.4 (22nd in NFL)
Yards/Attempt: Kaep- 7.69 (8th in NFL), Alex- 6.52 (29th in NFL)

You can't discount the yards per attempt in relation to completion %. Kaep's additional 1.3 yards per attempt is a huge difference. Then when you factor in air yards into that equation the disparity becomes even wider.

They really aren't similar players at all.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,360

Re: Do you guys miss Alex Smith yet? 

Post#22 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:33 pm

thesack12 wrote:You can't discount the yards per attempt in relation to completion %. Kaep's additional 1.3 yards per attempt is a huge difference. Then when you factor in air yards into that equation the disparity becomes even wider.

thesack12 wrote:Its worth mentioning that with Kaep as his QB, Boldin recorded his first 1,000 yard season since 2009, and the most yards he's had since 2006. Also, you have to go back to the 2008 season for a year when he had more TD's than last year.

This is amazing. You say it doesn't matter that Smith had more yards, more touchdowns, and was more efficient. He had less yards per attempt and that's what's important.

Boldin gets 10 more yards a game, more touchdowns, is more efficient, but gets less yards per reception. That's good because he's getting more yards and more touchdowns and is more efficient.

Double standard much? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

thesack12 wrote:As for the super bowl, I guess we must have watched different games...

Guess so. I watched 3 BLOWN offensive possessions turn into 3 easy touchdowns for the Ravens. Blaming the defense for giving up 3 quick TD's is asinine.

thesack12 wrote:Not sure what point you are trying to make about the WC offense.

If you're going to discredit Smith for making dump passes to his running back then do the same to Joe Montana. He passed more to his RB/FB than Jerry Rice.

thesack12 wrote:And in KC you do realize that his top two WR's were Dwayne Bowe (a go up and get it jump ball type WR) and Donnie Avery (a get vertical type WR) right? Alex did not, and could not maximize those guys' skillsets.

If that's a joke it isn't funny. I'm faster than Dwyane Bowe and Donnie Avery is a nobody. Jamal Charles is awesome, but the WR core is bottom 5 in the NFL.

Oh and on the season KC was 1-5 against winning teams

2 of those 5 losses were after they locked their playoff position.

Their other losses were 38-41 against the Chargers, 35-28 to the Broncos, and again 27-17 against the Broncos.

thesack12 wrote:As for KC's playoff game and the 40+ points stuff. That was in a dome against a terrible defense. More importantly KC lost the game.

Indianopolis was the 9th ranked defense, and Smith built a 34 point lead before his defense collapsed after a plethora of injuries (6 of their 8 key players injured during the game).

Smith was AMAZING that game.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,253

Post#23 » by thesack12 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:47 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
This is amazing. You say it doesn't matter that Smith had more yards, more touchdowns, and was more efficient. He had less yards per attempt and that's what's important.

Boldin gets 10 more yards a game, more touchdowns, is more efficient, but gets less yards per reception. That's good because he's getting more yards and more touchdowns and is more efficient.

Um, actually you are trying to cross reference to different positions, WR and QB, and fabricate an alleged double standard. Comparing Anquan Boldin to Anquan Boldin is not even remotely a double standard. But just for the sake of your argument how bout we take a tad deeper look into the numbers. Quan had 20 more catches on only 18 more targets last year than he did his last season in Baltimore. His catch % in Frisco was 65.3. His catch %/s in Baltimore were 58, 54.2, 59.2. You have to go all the way back to 2009, his last year in Arizona, to find a season where he had a better catch % rate. So to summarize last year With Kaep, Boldin had the most catches since 2008, the most yards since 2006, the most TD's since 2008, and the best catch % rate since 2009. That my friend is a textbook example of a QB making him better, and that QB is Colin Kaepernick.

By the way, I like how you conveniently didn't touch on what I posted about Crab's production comparison with Kaep and Alex on the field. Crab has obviously been better with Kaep at the helm. So that makes 2 WR's whom Kaep has helped elevate their games and made them better.

Guess so. I watched 3 BLOWN offensive possessions turn into 3 easy touchdowns for the Ravens. Blaming the defense for giving up 3 quick TD's is asinine.

Yeah, its the offense's fault that the defense gave up 5 plays that went over 20 yards, and 3 plays over 30 yards including a 56 yard TD pass. Its also the offense's fault that the special teams coughed up a 108 yard kickoff return TD. By the way just so you know, Baltimore only scored 7 of their 34 points off of the two Frisco turnovers.

If you're going to discredit Smith for making dump passes to his running back then do the same to Joe Montana. He passed more to his RB/FB than Jerry Rice.

Other than the loose correlation that they were all 49er QB's at one time, I have no idea what Joe Montana has to do with a Colin Kaepernick vs Alex Smith debate. How bout we incorporate Tim Rattay into this discussion. Hell, how bout some JT O' Sullivan action?

If that's a joke it isn't funny. I'm faster than Dwyane Bowe and Donnie Avery is a nobody. Jamal Charles is awesome, but the WR core is bottom 5 in the NFL.

Well lets see. 1) Donnie Avery is better than all of Methuselah Moss, Kyle Williams, and Marlon Moore. All of those guys stood in as the #2 WR for the 49ers at some point during the Kaepernick era. 2) I would have loved to have somebody like Donnie Avery and his get vertical style game at any point in the last 2 seasons. That is a dynamic the 49er offense simply hasn't had. 3) Other than 2011 when he only played 8 games, last season Avery posted career lows in catches, yards, and TD's.4) Dwayne Bowe has three 1,000 yard seasons and a 15 TD season on his resume. Other than 2009 when he only played 11 games, last season Bowe posted career lows in catches, yards, average yards/catch, and TD's. We are talking about a WR who has played with the legendary QB's the likes of Brodie Croyle, Matt Cassell, and Brady Quinn, yet the worst season of his career came with Alex Smith. So its crystal clear, Smith doesn't make anybody better, in fact he makes them noticeably worse. In stark contrast, its clear that Kaepernick makes guys better.

Their other losses were 38-41 against the Chargers, 35-28 to the Broncos, and again 27-17 against the Broncos.

Huh? Ever heard of playing for playoff seeding, home field advantage, etc? And you aren't helping your case, by mentioning they lost all their division games when they didn't play the Raiders. KC just can't beat good teams. In comparison Frisco went 5-1 in the division (best division in football) and better division record than Seattle.

Indianopolis was the 9th ranked defense, and Smith built a 34 point lead before his defense collapsed after a plethora of injuries (6 of their 8 key players injured during the game).

LOL, yeah lets take all numbers and ranking in a vacuum. I'm sure Indy's 3rd easiest strength of schedule in the NFL (KC had the 5th easiest schedule), and playing in easily the worst division in football had no bearing on the points put up against their defense. I mean playing 4 games against the worst 2 offenses in the NFL and (Houston and Jacksonville) and 2 more against the offensive juggernaut known as the Tennessee Titans didn't buoy their points against total at all.

Anyways since I first posted on this topic 6 months ago, I've grown quite tired of this subject. So I am going to post a few final thoughts, then be done. But you can feel free to get the last word...

1) There is a reason why Frisco was a bad team with Alex Smith all the way up until Jim Harbaugh came to town.

2) There is a reason why Frisco with Alex in the fold, Frisco was in the QB market for the 2011 draft. There is also a reason why Jim Harbaugh handpicked Colin Kaepernick to be his guy.

3) There is a reason why Harbaugh and the organization chose Colin Kaepernick over Alex Smith. Seeing as how Frisco not only hasn't regressed, but they actually got better, they obviously made the right choice.

4) There is a reason why KC is hesitant to pay and commit to Alex Smith long term. This also coincides with there being a reason why KC not only signed an expensive backup QB after they traded for Alex and drafted Aaron Murray this year.

The common reasoning in all of the above facts, is Alex Smith simply isn't that good.

Finally, Colin Kaepernick is only entering his 2nd full season as a starter and has only started a total of 29 games so far. Meanwhile, Alex Smith has 95 games under his belt. Kaep is still maturing and growing as a player, and has nowhere to go but up, whereas Alex is what he is and we have seen his ceiling. At the very least Kaep's floor is equal to Alex's ceiling, and it could be easily be argued that its better. When a guy's floor is equal to another guy's ceiling (actually its better), that makes figuring out who the better player is pretty easy....

/ my participation in this thread
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#24 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:23 pm

thesack12 wrote:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:

Um, actually you are trying to cross reference to different positions, WR and QB, and fabricate an alleged double standard. Comparing Anquan Boldin to Anquan Boldin is not even remotely a double standard. But just for the sake of your argument how bout we take a tad deeper look into the numbers. Quan had 20 more catches on only 18 more targets last year than he did his last season in Baltimore. His catch % in Frisco was 65.3. His catch %/s in Baltimore were 58, 54.2, 59.2. You have to go all the way back to 2009, his last year in Arizona, to find a season where he had a better catch % rate. So to summarize last year With Kaep, Boldin had the most catches since 2008, the most yards since 2006, the most TD's since 2008, and the best catch % rate since 2009. That my friend is a textbook example of a QB making him better, and that QB is Colin Kaepernick.

By the way, I like how you conveniently didn't touch on what I posted about Crab's production comparison with Kaep and Alex on the field. Crab has obviously been better with Kaep at the helm. So that makes 2 WR's whom Kaep has helped elevate their games and made them better.

Yeah, its the offense's fault that the defense gave up 5 plays that went over 20 yards, and 3 plays over 30 yards including a 56 yard TD pass. Its also the offense's fault that the special teams coughed up a 108 yard kickoff return TD. By the way just so you know, Baltimore only scored 7 of their 34 points off of the two Frisco turnovers.

Other than the loose correlation that they were all 49er QB's at one time, I have no idea what Joe Montana has to do with a Colin Kaepernick vs Alex Smith debate. How bout we incorporate Tim Rattay into this discussion. Hell, how bout some JT O' Sullivan action?

Well lets see. 1) Donnie Avery is better than all of Methuselah Moss, Kyle Williams, and Marlon Moore. All of those guys stood in as the #2 WR for the 49ers at some point during the Kaepernick era. 2) I would have loved to have somebody like Donnie Avery and his get vertical style game at any point in the last 2 seasons. That is a dynamic the 49er offense simply hasn't had. 3) Other than 2011 when he only played 8 games, last season Avery posted career lows in catches, yards, and TD's.4) Dwayne Bowe has three 1,000 yard seasons and a 15 TD season on his resume. Other than 2009 when he only played 11 games, last season Bowe posted career lows in catches, yards, average yards/catch, and TD's. We are talking about a WR who has played with the legendary QB's the likes of Brodie Croyle, Matt Cassell, and Brady Quinn, yet the worst season of his career came with Alex Smith. So its crystal clear, Smith doesn't make anybody better, in fact he makes them noticeably worse. In stark contrast, its clear that Kaepernick makes guys better.

Huh? Ever heard of playing for playoff seeding, home field advantage, etc? And you aren't helping your case, by mentioning they lost all their division games when they didn't play the Raiders. KC just can't beat good teams. In comparison Frisco went 5-1 in the division (best division in football) and better division record than Seattle.

LOL, yeah lets take all numbers and ranking in a vacuum. I'm sure Indy's 3rd easiest strength of schedule in the NFL (KC had the 5th easiest schedule), and playing in easily the worst division in football had no bearing on the points put up against their defense. I mean playing 4 games against the worst 2 offenses in the NFL and (Houston and Jacksonville) and 2 more against the offensive juggernaut known as the Tennessee Titans didn't buoy their points against total at all.

Anyways since I first posted on this topic 6 months ago, I've grown quite tired of this subject. So I am going to post a few final thoughts, then be done. But you can feel free to get the last word...

1) There is a reason why Frisco was a bad team with Alex Smith all the way up until Jim Harbaugh came to town.

2) There is a reason why Frisco with Alex in the fold, Frisco was in the QB market for the 2011 draft. There is also a reason why Jim Harbaugh handpicked Colin Kaepernick to be his guy.

3) There is a reason why Harbaugh and the organization chose Colin Kaepernick over Alex Smith. Seeing as how Frisco not only hasn't regressed, but they actually got better, they obviously made the right choice.

4) There is a reason why KC is hesitant to pay and commit to Alex Smith long term. This also coincides with there being a reason why KC not only signed an expensive backup QB after they traded for Alex and drafted Aaron Murray this year.

The common reasoning in all of the above facts, is Alex Smith simply isn't that good.

Finally, Colin Kaepernick is only entering his 2nd full season as a starter and has only started a total of 29 games so far. Meanwhile, Alex Smith has 95 games under his belt. Kaep is still maturing and growing as a player, and has nowhere to go but up, whereas Alex is what he is and we have seen his ceiling. At the very least Kaep's floor is equal to Alex's ceiling, and it could be easily be argued that its better. When a guy's floor is equal to another guy's ceiling (actually its better), that makes figuring out who the better player is pretty easy....

/ my participation in this thread

You're using individual receiver stats to argue that a qb is better. You understand that Kapeople is criticized for not using enough of his options, right?

Focus on the team numbers and the QB numbers. Smith is superior. Kape is an athletic game manager with poor decision making skills.

Also, Kaper is only 3 years younger.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#25 » by NinerSickness » Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:02 pm

Nobody who even remotely understands the QB position will ever miss Alex Smith no matter how sucktastic the current guy is.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,302

Post#26 » by clyde21 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:08 pm

Dude doesn't even know how to throw to WRs.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 130

Post#27 » by MHSL82 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:22 pm

clyde21 wrote:Dude doesn't even know how to throw to WRs.

There are more yards, targets, and completions to receivers then any other position group. Receivers are worse than the runningbacks or tight ends. Receivers have more drops than other position groups. Less YAC, too. Shouldn't fault him for using the team's strengths (passes to TE + RBs > WRs) and still passing to WRs more than other groups. Their receivers are worse than ours.

No, I'm not saying Smith > Kaepernick. Nor am I saying Smith should be here.
Yadahell
Sophomore
And1: 6

Post#28 » by Yadahell » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:39 pm

Hasn't been a Smith thread for awhile fortunately, so I'll bite. Sal Palentonio thought we would have won the Super Bowl with Smith (instead of Kaep) and he's pretty well respected. Not saying I agree, but there are media types like Sal that are connected and believe Smith is a better option over Kaep. I like Smiyh and cheer for him to do well at KC, but I still like Kaep over him.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#29 » by clyde21 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:14 am

MHSL82 wrote:

There are more yards, targets, and completions to receivers then any other position group. Receivers are worse than the runningbacks or tight ends. Receivers have more drops than other position groups. Less YAC, too. Shouldn't fault him for using the team's strengths (passes to TE + RBs > WRs) and still passing to WRs more than other groups. Their receivers are worse than ours.

Well, I sure hope there are more targets to WRs to RBs. That's not the point. Relatively speaking, Alex Smith refuses to look down-field and is downright scared to throw to WRs. He has Dwayne Bowe at WR, who had 1200 yards and 15 TDs WITH MATT CASSELL as his QB. No excuse.

Cassell threw 15 TDs JUST to Bowe. How many TDs to WRs does Smith have this year? Zero. Brilliant.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#30 » by MHSL82 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:

Well, I sure hope there are more targets to WRs to RBs. That's not the point. Relatively speaking, Alex Smith refuses to look down-field and is downright scared to throw to WRs. He has Dwayne Bowe at WR, who had 1200 yards and 15 TDs WITH MATT CASSELL as his QB. No excuse.

Cassell threw 15 TDs JUST to Bowe. How many TDs to WRs does Smith have this year? Zero. Brilliant.

Forcing the ball did not help Cassel in 2012. When you are a worse quarterback, you force the ball to one receiver (Bowe is not Megatron and KC has better other targets than Detroit in TE). Make up your mind before you snap the ball. You do not spread the ball out.

That will help Bowe, but Cassel got a lot of interceptions, too, the next year trying to force it to him. Spreading the ball also is what Andy Reid likes to do. He did that in Philadelphia.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#31 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:23 pm

MHSL82 wrote:

It's not like Smith's struggles throwing to WRs - and primarily, outside the numbers - began in KC. He's always been well below average in that area.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#32 » by MHSL82 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:34 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
MHSL82 wrote:

It's not like Smith's struggles throwing to WRs - and primarily, outside the numbers - began in KC. He's always been well below average in that area.

I'll agree with that. I wasn't trying to make it a strength of his. I just feel the mocking-like reference to it is an exaggerative statement and a lot of it based upon the WR TD stat, which matters if you don't score, but doesn't if you do score with others. Frequency of TDs matter. One of the years before Harbaugh and this year, Alex's team had a good red zone conversion rate. This year, KC was high rated in 3rd and 8+ and 3rd down overall. When you get these and good running, why force it to WRs when that group already is the most frequently targeted group and with the most drops percentage-wise? We (SF) have struggled to get WRs until this year and we're not doing as well as expected with our WRs as we thought.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#33 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:01 pm

NinerSickness wrote:Nobody who even remotely understands the QB position will ever miss Alex Smith no matter how sucktastic the current guy is.

I think it's the exact opposite. True fans of the game that really understand truley appreciate a guy like Smith. Kape is exciting, but so far he is just wasted potential on wasted opportunities.

It's like comparing Monta Ellis and Andre Miller.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#34 » by Pattersonca65 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:00 am

49er fans like Smith for the great guy he is. As far as his QB play, most realize Smith also has serious limitations which a defense like Seattle would easily exploit.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#35 » by MHSL82 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:47 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:49er fans like Smith for the great guy he is. As far as his QB play, most realize Smith also has serious limitations which a defense like Seattle would easily exploit.

Except for when they don't, like earlier in the year. Yes, he only passed for 108 yards on 16 passes, but on more YPA than we got. We had 90 yards on 25 attempts before garbage time yards. Yes, he had running help. But he doesn't need to be exploited when an OC is smart, unlike ours.

So yes, if Smith tried to be a gunslinger, he'd fail. But he doesn't throw two point blank passes for interceptions. He doesn't exploit himself.

My point isn't that Smith is good nor better than Kaepernick. My point is if teams can take the positives without having to have him do the things he would be exploited on, they can and do win. I wish our OC would do that with Kaepernick, but rather, they are trying to make him do things that isn't his strengths. Why? Argh!
generaldreedle
Senior
And1: 46

Post#36 » by generaldreedle » Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:54 am

I'll say this; part of my reasoning for preferring Kaepernick over Smith was his tremendous throwing and running talent potential and I was confident that Harbaugh would be able to mold him into a truly great quarterback. I don't know whether that is still going to happen. I think there are games we've won that Smith could never have won for the team and there are games he would not have lost either.

Sent from my VS985 4G using RealGM Forums mobile app
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#37 » by MHSL82 » Sun Dec 7, 2014 5:55 am

Read this on Niners Webzone:

@VincentFrankNFL: Alex Smith doesn't throw to his WR's?

55% of his targets have gone to WRs.

52% for Russell Wilson.

46% for Tom Brady

#NARRATIVE

Now, of course, there are other factors like 3rd Down conversions and red zone conversions (which KC has been respectable to good at this year), YPA (hasn't), etc. It's the end zone that receivers haven't had their catches and well contested or deep shots. His completion percentage to WRs and YPA isn't as good, but he's targetting them when he isn't being sacked. WRs haven't taken short passes 80 yards and they haven't caught five yard TD passes.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#38 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:29 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:Kape is an athletic game manager with poor decision making skills.

Solid Gold. I'm nailing this so hard right now.

KP is officially the most un-tradable player in the NFL. How do you give a guy with ZERO fundamentals the keys to a franchise? Once upon a time I compared him to Tim Tebow, but at this point I would MUCH, MUCH rather have T-Bow as our QB. Seriously.
MHSL82
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#39 » by MHSL82 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:12 am

Don't really need this thread... Let's talk about Kaepernick in a Kaepernick thread. Move on, it's clear we aren't winning or wouldn't win anything this year with any of our past or current QBs and it's not all Kaepernick's fault these past two games - his and the team's.
clyde21
RealGM

Re: Hard to watch Aaron Rodgers now 

Post#40 » by clyde21 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:08 am

Only Alex Smith would rather scramble than throw a Hail Mary pass to end the half.

Biggest coward in the NFL. He leaves so many plays on the field for the sake of being "efficient." Disgusting.

Return to San Francisco 49ers