ImageImageImageImageImage

Purdy-Torn UCL

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Re: Purdy-Torn UCL 

Post#21 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 1, 2023 5:22 pm

Off topic, but Brady's video was interesting. No regrets? Two relationships in shambles, likely strained relations with his kids. I'd have some regrets for sure. But maybe that's why I'm not Tom Brady (well, one of many reasons...).
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#22 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:18 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Team next year will not be as good. We're going to lose some good players to free agency, and we basically have no high value draft picks. If Trent retires, we're in deep doodoo (remember when we passed on Wirfs and took Kinlaw?). The core of special players will stay together, but we're going to have to find budget depth. And we face a first-place schedule, which will be difficult. Playoffs are definitely no guarantee, but this is still a good team that should be able to cover for a QB's shortcomings to an extent.

Lance is rookie-ish, but he's also ridden the pine for two years now and had a chance to really study the offense. It's not at all the same as being under center, but he should have a really great sense of protections, reading defenses (from the All-22, anyway), who should be open when, etc. If he hasn't started to grasp those things yet, we're going to be in trouble. Regardless, we need to know. We have to decide whether to pick up his fifth year at the end of this one, so we've just got to see what he can actually do on the field. And that means Kyle has to show some degree of faith in the guy he sold the farm to draft.

I don't have a doubt that Lance will grasp what he needs to learn in classroom and have the offense down in his head. He appears to be a smart kid and a hard worker. The question I have is whether he can apply and process that in the speed of a real NFL game.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#23 » by Big J » Wed Feb 1, 2023 6:42 pm

The obsession with Brady is because Lance stunk it up last year and this team is ready to win a Superbowl at every position except QB. I still think Kyle could probably convince Tom to come out if retirement if he gets down on his knees.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#24 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 1, 2023 7:16 pm

Big J wrote:The obsession with Brady is because Lance stunk it up last year and this team is ready to win a Superbowl at every position except QB. I still think Kyle could probably convince Tom to come out if retirement if he gets down on his knees.

Lance played five quarters, one of them in basically monsoon conditions.

Against Chicago, there was some good and some bad. He repeatedly hit big plays downfield, completing passes of 44, 31, and 20 yards that had little YAC and were mostly the result of his throwing. He picked up some first downs with his feet, including converting a 3rd and 13 on a scramble. He also had some bad throws and a bad pick (fine ball, but didn't see the safety when throwing to Jennings on an in-cut) that basically put the game out of reach. He took a couple sacks he probably shouldn't have, including on a 3rd and goal where he had Deebo open for a TD. In the second half of the fourth quarter, it was torrential downpour.

All told, it was about what you would expect from a guy with his level of experience. Some promising stuff, some bad stuff, but nothing to move the needle strongly in either direction IMO.

Against Seattle, he attempted three passes before he was injured. He hit two of those for 30 yards (about 21 of that was YAC). We were completely committed to the run game, though. 12 runs to 3 passes. I don't see anything worth evaluating in that game.

The simple reality is that we just don't know what Lance can be. If they weren't willing to be patient with him, then they drafted the wrong QB, and that's on them. It's looking a lot like Lance will have this season to show that he has a future on this team. It's time for him to put up. But we need more of a sustained sample.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#25 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 7:34 pm

Big J wrote:The obsession with Brady is because Lance stunk it up last year and this team is ready to win a Superbowl at every position except QB. I still think Kyle could probably convince Tom to come out if retirement if he gets down on his knees.

Brady didn't play well at all last year and he is one year older. Forget about it.
Big J
General Manager

Post#26 » by Big J » Wed Feb 1, 2023 8:02 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:

Brady didn't play well at all last year and he is one year older. Forget about it.

Brady played fine. His team stunk. Plug him into the niners system and it's a championship level team.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#27 » by Jikkle » Wed Feb 1, 2023 8:12 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:No sources I really trust so far, but early word today is Tommy John for Purdy.

Seems like the feeling is that he won't need Tommy John because that's usually needed when the tendon snaps from wear and tear.

Since Purdy's wasn't a wear and tear injury the tendon might be in good enough shape to just put it back together which will speed up the recovery time.

Still hard to imagine he'd be a full go in time for the season. Even once he's cleared to be a full go he'll still need some time to get his arm into football shape but that's just my armchair doctor's speculation.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#28 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Feb 1, 2023 8:17 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:No sources I really trust so far, but early word today is Tommy John for Purdy.

Seems like the feeling is that he won't need Tommy John because that's usually needed when the tendon snaps from wear and tear.

Since Purdy's wasn't a wear and tear injury the tendon might be in good enough shape to just put it back together which will speed up the recovery time.

Still hard to imagine he'd be a full go in time for the season. Even once he's cleared to be a full go he'll still need some time to get his arm into football shape but that's just my armchair doctor's speculation.

Yeah, I guess Lynch said this morning that the experts seem to agree six months. Of course, it's the Niners, so you've got to assume he'll have a setback and will be out nine months at least....
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#29 » by zman1 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 9:16 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Brady played fine. His team stunk. Plug him into the niners system and it's a championship level team.
Brady threw more balls in the dirt than anyone I have ever seen this year.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#30 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Feb 1, 2023 9:34 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

He did plenty of stinking up himself. Inaccurate throws, missing receivers. Father time is undefeated
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#31 » by Samurai » Wed Feb 1, 2023 9:48 pm

Sounds like Shanahan and Lynch are optimistic that Purdy "shouldn't" face the difficulties of returning to form that are more common with ACL injuries (Purdy has a torn UCL, not ACL). Shanahan said today: "That was the coolest thing for me to hear about. That once three months is over, they start the rehab of just building the arm back slowly, and by six months, it's built back," Shanahan said. "That's when I started to ask questions, 'so does that mean ease him in and stuff like that, like you would think of ACLs and things like that?' They said no, the build-ups been from three to six, and at six months, he is the same dude and full go. That was the most encouraging part that I heard.

"The good thing about Brock is (gradual wear-and-tear) wasn't an issue. It was a freak accident that I think everyone saw what happened. When you talk to the doctors, it takes three months to really get back to repairing it and building it up the right way, and in six months, he'll be the same guy."

Sounds like the Niners are going to roll with a training camp competition between Lance and Purdy. Lance should have the upper hand going in to training camp since Purdy won't be ready for OTA's (typically May-June) and training camp usually starts in mid-July, which is a little before the 6-month mark for Purdy. And while it may be unfair, I don't have much confidence in our training staff's ability to keep guys healthy so a setback wouldn't shock me.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#32 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 2, 2023 5:23 am

if it's even leading up to the season next year you gotta assume Purdy is the starter, really unless Lance is just much better throughout camp.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#33 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Feb 2, 2023 5:36 pm

clyde21 wrote:if it's even leading up to the season next year you gotta assume Purdy is the starter, really unless Lance is just much better throughout camp.

Sounds like there will be a legitimate competition.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#34 » by clyde21 » Thu Feb 2, 2023 5:48 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
clyde21 wrote:if it's even leading up to the season next year you gotta assume Purdy is the starter, really unless Lance is just much better throughout camp.

i know, my point that if the competition doesn't have a clear winner, Purdy is probably the default starter.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#35 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 2, 2023 7:11 pm

clyde21 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

i know, my point that if the competition doesn't have a clear winner, Purdy is probably the default starter.

Sure. Fair or not, he has shown a lot more than Lance has to date. He's got to have the edge if they're both healthy, unless Lance has shown a ton of growth in seeing the field and throwing under pressure, two things Purdy has appeared to excel at so far.
Big J
General Manager

Post#36 » by Big J » Thu Feb 2, 2023 11:07 pm

Purdy is limited. He’s Jimmy G part 2, and his weak arm just got weaker. It’s better to take a shot on developing a guy who could someday be a Super Bowl level qb.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#37 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Feb 2, 2023 11:19 pm

Big J wrote:Purdy is limited. He’s Jimmy G part 2, and his weak arm just got weaker. It’s better to take a shot on developing a guy who could someday be a Super Bowl level qb.

It would be better for us in the long-term if Lance hits his ceiling than Purdy. But Purdy is already better than Jimmy, as clearly demonstrated by how much better the offense got when he came in. He's just got a pretty unique feel for the game, especially as a rookie. Now, look, there's no guarantee that lasts. When Jimmy came to the Niners, he was playing carefree, and it's basically the best he's ever played. But for Purdy to do what he did this year in terms of vision, feel, pocket presence, accuracy, etc. as a rookie was pretty special. The physical tools will likely always be a concern, but Brady and Brees had questions about their arm strength coming out. Purdy could be one of those guys - granted it's of course a long shot.

Regardless, he went undefeated as a starter against some pretty stiff competition, led one of the most dynamic offenses in football, and met every challenge he came up against until he got injured. If he's healthy, unless Lance shows pretty remarkable growth, he's the guy.
Big J
General Manager

Post#38 » by Big J » Thu Feb 2, 2023 11:26 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:Purdy is limited. He’s Jimmy G part 2, and his weak arm just got weaker. It’s better to take a shot on developing a guy who could someday be a Super Bowl level qb.

It would be better for us in the long-term if Lance hits his ceiling than Purdy. But Purdy is already better than Jimmy, as clearly demonstrated by how much better the offense got when he came in. He's just got a pretty unique feel for the game, especially as a rookie. Now, look, there's no guarantee that lasts. When Jimmy came to the Niners, he was playing carefree, and it's basically the best he's ever played. But for Purdy to do what he did this year in terms of vision, feel, pocket presence, accuracy, etc. as a rookie was pretty special. The physical tools will likely always be a concern, but Brady and Brees had questions about their arm strength coming out. Purdy could be one of those guys - granted it's of course a long shot.

Regardless, he went undefeated as a starter against some pretty stiff competition, led one of the most dynamic offenses in football, and met every challenge he came up against until he got injured. If he's healthy, unless Lance shows pretty remarkable growth, he's the guy.

I dunno man. It seems like every SB winning QB has a skill that they are elite at. Purdy is just average all around, and lucked into a perfect supporting cast. I've never seen a QB get more YAC's than he did during his little run.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#39 » by Samurai » Fri Feb 3, 2023 12:52 am

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

I dunno man. It seems like every SB winning QB has a skill that they are elite at. Purdy is just average all around, and lucked into a perfect supporting cast. I've never seen a QB get more YAC's than he did during his little run.

Obviously it is the strength of the team that wins SB's and not all winning QB's are elite. Pretty sure that Nick Foles, Brad Johnson and Trent Dilfer won't be getting into the Hall of Fame without buying an admission ticket first. The Niners have a SB caliber roster to surround a QB; they need a QB that can play within themselves and the system and not make mistakes. Thus far Purdy has shown that he can do those things. And he's not Jimmy G 2.0; he is clearly more mobile than Jimmy. And while neither has a particularly strong arm, Purdy was more accurate on deep balls. Can you remind us who had the highest QB rating on passes travelling over 20 yards in the air among QB's that played more than 4 games? It wasn't Jimmy and it wasn't Brady.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#40 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Feb 3, 2023 2:00 pm

I don't get all the freaking out about our QB situation. Of course this is devastating news, but again, we're going into the season with Lance as the starter, which is the situation we were in this season. I didn't see anything through his five quarters to convince me that Lance cannot be the guy. Granted I didn't see much to convince me he is, either. We just don;t know at this point. But given what we sank into drafting him, in some ways it's good that we get another opportunity to take a look at him, while Brock can take his time recovering and we can hopefully figure out what we have in each of them before the start of next season.

I definitely agree with you Crims. However, Patterson made a valid point earlier that if the coaches’ action (lack of faith through their play designs in comparison to Purdy in the lineup) was more than enough proof that he was not ready.

Prior to that you raised a very good point as well, something to the extent of allowing him to go through the growing pains if we truly want to develop him.

Return to San Francisco 49ers