ImageImageImageImageImage

The GTFO Jimmy Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,249

Re: The GTFO Jimmy Thread 

Post#201 » by thesack12 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:38 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:And as far as the Kyler play, sure, it was relatively early in the game, and it turned what was looking like a blowout into a clear blowout. But Jimmy's team was WINNING THE GAME. The defense had been dominant. It wasn't even third down, where you feel more pressure to make a play. Just don't make a colossal mistake in judgment, and there's a very good chance your team carries the day. Instead, he made two, and it arguably was the reason (granted among MANY more) that we lost the game.

Again, if Kyler takes a safety there they are only down 16-0 with 2.5 quarters remaining. Sure the defense was dominating them, but we as 49er fans should know as well as anybody that that can shift on a dime with 1 single play. That pick 6 could have very well been the death blow and broke Arizona's spirit. A safety could've had the same effect, but there is a big difference between being down 16-0 and 21-0.

Also, a blind lob ball is an indefensible decision under any circumstances. Let alone doing it in your own end zone. Then adding to it that it was in a playoff game.

I also don't see how the 49ers winning at the time, shifts the focus on Jimmy's play being worse that Kyler's. Even after the safety 9ers were still up 7-5, and in fact after that they actually went on to extend the lead to 10-5. Its not like the safety instantly got the 9ers behind. While it absolutely played a big role in the final score, its not like that one play directly decided the game. It didn't even hugely direct the flow of the game.

And as I alluded to in the previous post, Jimmy didn't make 2 mistakes the play was blown dead so he wasn't even allowed to make 2. The first mistake ended the play. So we are talking about a 2 point safety, not a pick 6 (7 with PAT.)

It was undeniably an embarrassing play, but lets not sensationalize it into trying to make it the worst play of all time.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#202 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:55 pm

I don't think the play was blown dead such that Jimmy just threw the ball for the hell of it. Every guy on that field was still playing after he stepped out.

But this is mostly semantics. It was an awful play that Jimmy just can't make at this stage in his career. Frankly, it would be pretty inexcusable at any stage in his career.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#203 » by thesack12 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:31 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:I don't think the play was blown dead such that Jimmy just threw the ball for the hell of it. Every guy on that field was still playing after he stepped out.

But this is mostly semantics. It was an awful play that Jimmy just can't make at this stage in his career. Frankly, it would be pretty inexcusable at any stage in his career.

Agreed, I'm with you on that aspect.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#204 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:27 pm

Read on Twitter
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#205 » by Jikkle » Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:36 am

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

To pick apart this statement a bit most people who don't like Jimmy G would say he's better than Mullens, Beathard, and Hoyer. And Lance shouldn't even be mentioned. So saying he's bad doesn't equate to saying the other guys are better.

Now Jimmy G isn't a bad QB and even though I'm a Lance guy I've never felt Jimmy G is a bad QB. I consider him as a QB that can vary from above average to below average which is why I settle on him just being average.

It just seems like the fanbase is divided into a group that remembers the moments where he's good and forgets the ones where he completely flops or the group that focuses on the flops and forgets the nice plays he does make.

That's why I'm not a big fan of all these stats that pump Jimmy G up because ultimately if you had a draft with every QB in it then you'd probably pick Jimmy around 15th.

I just think Kyle deserves a lot of credit for making the offense around Jimmy to work. Just because he didn't magically make it work great with 3rd string-quality starters doesn't mean the scheme isn't doing some heavy lifting because obviously Jimmy does prove you just can't plug in anybody and the offense doesn't have any issues.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#206 » by thesack12 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:30 pm

Jikkle wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

To pick apart this statement a bit most people who don't like Jimmy G would say he's better than Mullens, Beathard, and Hoyer. And Lance shouldn't even be mentioned. So saying he's bad doesn't equate to saying the other guys are better.

Now Jimmy G isn't a bad QB and even though I'm a Lance guy I've never felt Jimmy G is a bad QB. I consider him as a QB that can vary from above average to below average which is why I settle on him just being average.

It just seems like the fanbase is divided into a group that remembers the moments where he's good and forgets the ones where he completely flops or the group that focuses on the flops and forgets the nice plays he does make.

That's why I'm not a big fan of all these stats that pump Jimmy G up because ultimately if you had a draft with every QB in it then you'd probably pick Jimmy around 15th.

I just think Kyle deserves a lot of credit for making the offense around Jimmy to work. Just because he didn't magically make it work great with 3rd string-quality starters doesn't mean the scheme isn't doing some heavy lifting because obviously Jimmy does prove you just can't plug in anybody and the offense doesn't have any issues.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you are saying here, but your comments are aimed at the secondary point of the tweet/graphic.

The main theme of the tweet was to show that despite all of the mostly negative views of Garoppolo as a player, he has guided the 49ers to a top 2 most efficient/productive passing offenses in the NFL since he arrived in 2017. So its not a small sample size, its sustained performance over several seasons.

The secondary point about mentioning the other QB's was to show that its not merely a plug and play type system that automatically performs regardless of who the QB is. No successful NFL system is QB plug and play, at least to to any kind of sustainability. Yet Some 49er fans are prone to believe whomever the other guy is, they are better than Garoppolo. Whether it be an in house guy like Nick Mullens, a crappy stopgap like Jameis Winston, or even the whispers that came about when Josh Rosen signed here for his short stint.

Jimmy isn't great by any means, but he's better than a lot of people will lead you to believe.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#207 » by wco81 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:25 pm

One of the NFL podcasts I listened to speculated that Jets could make a big play for Jimmy next season, move on from Wilson, who's alienated the team.

Rest of the Jets look good but the offense/QB may be holding them back from contending in the playoffs.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#208 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:34 pm

wco81 wrote:One of the NFL podcasts I listened to speculated that Jets could make a big play for Jimmy next season, move on from Wilson, who's alienated the team.

Rest of the Jets look good but the offense/QB may be holding them back from contending in the playoffs.

Too bad we can't get more than a late third for him now that he's playing well. Though let's see what happens down the stretch and in the playoffs, if we make it.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#209 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:05 am

wco81 wrote:One of the NFL podcasts I listened to speculated that Jets could make a big play for Jimmy next season, move on from Wilson, who's alienated the team.

Man,Wilson was my guy going into the '21 draft. He was my favorite QB prospect for the 9ers. Leading up to the draft it was pretty much a lock that NYJ was taking him @ 2, but I had hoped that they would pass on him in favor of Lance or Fields and the 9ers could scoop him up @ 3.

Looks like that was a terrible call on my part. Wilson has been truly abysmal.

Can't even say that Wilson might be doing better in a different system, because their OC is Mike Lafleuer who is a Kyle Shanahan disciple and obviously runs a lot of the same stuff the 49ers do. While there isn't a ton of offensive talent over there, Wilson has been so completely dreadful I don't think you can say with a straight face that he would have been all that much better in SF.

So that is definitely looking like a miss on my part. Fortunately, our guy Lance still have a good amount of promise to look forward to.

And yes, Jimmy to the Jets would make a ton of sense for both him and that team.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#210 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:14 am

thesack12 wrote:

Man,Wilson was my guy going into the '21 draft. He was my favorite QB prospect for the 9ers. Leading up to the draft it was pretty much a lock that NYJ was taking him @ 2, but I had hoped that they would pass on him in favor of Lance or Fields and the 9ers could scoop him up @ 3.

Can't even say that Wilson might be doing better in a different system, because their OC is Mike Lafleuer who is a Kyle Shanahan disciple and obviously runs a lot of the same stuff the 49ers do. While there isn't a ton of offensive talent over there, Wilson has been so completely dreadful I don't think you can say with a straight face that he would have been all that much better in SF.

So that is definitely looking like a miss on my part. Fortunately, our guy Lance still have a good amount of promise to look forward to.

And yes, Jimmy to the Jets would make a ton of sense for both him and that team.

The hit rates in the NFL for first round QBs is surprisingly bad. None of the QB's drafted that year was a lock. At least we don't know with Lance yet.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#211 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:18 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

The hit rates in the NFL for first round QBs is surprisingly bad. None of the QB's drafted that year was a lock. At least we don't know with Lance yet.

For sure.

Yeah, Lance ultimately may not pan out either, but I'd much rather have him than Zach Wilson right now.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#212 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:26 pm

thesack12 wrote:

Yeah, I didn't watch a ton of Wilson as I expected the Jets to take him, but I did watch a bunch of his '21 games, and he was my favorite of the guys I thought were in contention for the Niners' pick. Definitely preferred him to Lance.

As you say, at least Lance still has a shot. Though it's also really early to be giving up on Wilson. I haven't watched really any Jets games this year, so I can't evaluate. And despite the brutal start to his career, Lance seems to have a really good head on his shoulders. The enduring concern for me with Lance is his accuracy, and until he proves it's no longer an issue, it's going to be hanging over him. But I don't have a lot of concerns about him putting in the time, rubbing teammates the wrong way, etc. That stuff seems pretty well locked up.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#213 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Nov 22, 2022 5:28 pm

In terms of this thread, got to give props to Jimmy. He's been playing really well lately. The single biggest thing, IMO, is dramatically reducing the number of knucklehead plays in a game. He's been great about securing the ball lately, has shown improved pocket presence, and has even thrown the ball away several times lately. He's going on three straight games now without an INT. Tellingly, we're 6-0 when he hasn't thrown an INT this year, and 0-3 when he has. Got to keep that up.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#214 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:07 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

For sure.

Yeah, Lance ultimately may not pan out either, but I'd much rather have him than Zach Wilson right now.

I haven't the slightest idea what is going on the with the Jets and Wilson other than it sounds like he is playing poorly. What is the story with Wilson?
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#215 » by Jikkle » Fri Nov 25, 2022 4:57 am

In general I'll say Jimmy G looks closer to his 2017 self than he ever has since the injury in 2018.

I do tend to think fans are living in the moment with Jimmy and the team in general at the moment. All this talk of resigning Jimmy should be tabled until the playoffs and let's see how he does there.

Like I posted earlier it seems with Jimmy G fans either get overly excited about him when he plays well and overly negative when he doesn't.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#216 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:34 pm

Jikkle wrote:In general I'll say Jimmy G looks closer to his 2017 self than he ever has since the injury in 2018.

I do tend to think fans are living in the moment with Jimmy and the team in general at the moment. All this talk of resigning Jimmy should be tabled until the playoffs and let's see how he does there.

Like I posted earlier it seems with Jimmy G fans either get overly excited about him when he plays well and overly negative when he doesn't.

Agreed. I've said for a long time that Jimmy's biggest problem is the sloppy play. Clean that up, and even with his physical limitations, he can be a very good QB. But even with dramatic improvement, he still has the physical limitations. His pocket awareness and improvisation has improved dramatically over the past few weeks, but it's still well below the best QBs in the league. We still don't really have the deep strike ability of other teams, barring a player breaking multiple tackles. Now, I'm not confident Lance will be better than what Jimmy is showing right now, but clearly the upside is still higher.

The other thing is, while it's clicking for Jimmy, it's clicking with a supporting cast that we simply cannot retain if we re-sign him. This is a roster that needs a relatively inexpensive starting QB. As things stand, we almost certainly have the best group of skill players on offense in the league. Probably the best receiving back, another starting-caliber RB, and the top - and most versatile - FB in the league. Almost certainly a top-three TE, and arguably the best all-around (really hard to argue he's the best given what Kelce has been doing just as a receiver the past two years). And a top two WRs who arguably both have pro bowl ability and bring different strengths to the table. Along with a really solid third-down receiver. So yes, it may be clicking a bit for Jimmy, he's doing a great job of finding the open many and staying out of trouble, but if he gets an extension, we can't pay all those guys. And extending Bosa is simply a requirement. The D is a shadow of itself without him.

Let's see where the ride takes us. Do we even still make the playoffs (looking pretty good for at least a WC at this point, but there's a lot of football left), and if so, how do we look in there? The past two times, Jimmy has dropped off badly in the playoffs. He'll have to show he can handle the pressure this year to even contemplate extending him, IMO.

Having said all of that, given how he's playing, it's going to suck out lout do lose him and only get a third-round comp pick back.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#217 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:25 am

Read on Twitter
?s=20&t=xHOPQ5PJ0LKxJlho4hGEag
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#218 » by Big J » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:45 am

Purdy is just as limited as Jimmy. It’s the system doing the work.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#219 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:03 am

Big J wrote:Purdy is just as limited as Jimmy. It’s the system doing the work.

I disagree. Purdy is physically limited, but his pocket presence, vision, ability to go through progressive, escapability, and deep ball placement are all better than Jimmy's already. Jimmy probably is still better at the quick passing game across the middle, but Purdy does well with that.

There's no doubt that the system and talent helps, but what he's doing is still really impressive.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#220 » by Samurai » Sun Jan 15, 2023 6:45 am

Big J wrote:Purdy is just as limited as Jimmy. It’s the system doing the work.

Disagree. Purdy's mobility and escapability are clearly superior to Jimmy. Shanahan's system doesn't call for plays to have the QB escape the rush, buy time, and still hit an open receiver - that just happens sometimes when pass protection breaks down. That isn't a system thing. You either have the ability to do that or you don't. Purdy does; Jimmy doesn't. The lack of mobility makes Jimmy more limited in terms of what he can do to make a play than Purdy.

Return to San Francisco 49ers