ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 14: Buccaneers @ 49ers

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Re: Week 14: Buccaneers @ 49ers 

Post#221 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:21 pm

Wow, what a game. Other than the Deebo injury (and the other injuries, though hopefully they aren't as serious), it went about perfectly. Gotta say, we got pretty lucky with two huge Bucs plays overturned by penalty (the long TD to Evans and the INT by Purdy), which could have really shifted momentum in this one, but I've got to think we still win handily based on how these teams looked.

Got to hand it to Purdy. He got punched in the mouth - literally - on the very first play of the game. But he bounced up, once again showed the game isn't too big for him, and ultimately played really well. I'm still a little leery as there were moments that broke our way that could have gone the other way, but he's really shown up in the past two weeks. This is a perfect offense for him. Make the right reads, find the open man, and let our playmakers do the rest.

Other than the one or two breakdowns they appear good for each week, the D was lights out. I was skeptical they could sustain the turnovers, but they're doing it of late. Feeling like there isn't any reason we can't be a significant threat deep into the playoffs the way this roster is constructed. Just got to stave off more major injuries.

Let's lock up the division on Thursday!
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#222 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 12, 2022 6:22 pm

Any word on Kevin Givens? That has the potential to be a fairly significant injury given we were already thin at DT.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#223 » by Samurai » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:24 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Any word on Kevin Givens? That has the potential to be a fairly significant injury given we were already thin at DT.

MRI results are expected in for Givens (and Deebo) around noon, so pretty soon. Without MRI results, Shanahan would only say that he will miss "some time". Good thing we drafted Kinlaw in the first round to mitigate against injuries to our DL. Oh wait, forgot that tissue paper gets all soggy in water....
Samurai
General Manager

Post#224 » by Samurai » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:31 pm

And Womack, who went into concussion protocol yesterday, has already been ruled out against the Seahawks. Ambry Thomas hurt his ankle and we are still waiting for his MRI results. Also waiting on MRI results for Dontae Johnson (knee). May need to see if Ronnie Lott is available to suit up if we can't find enough bodies for the secondary!
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#225 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Dec 12, 2022 7:56 pm

Samurai wrote:And Womack, who went into concussion protocol yesterday, has already been ruled out against the Seahawks. Ambry Thomas hurt his ankle and we are still waiting for his MRI results. Also waiting on MRI results for Dontae Johnson (knee). May need to see if Ronnie Lott is available to suit up if we can't find enough bodies for the secondary!

WTF, man? I didn't realize any of those guys got hurt. Granted I was watching on delay and zipping through any moments when the ball was not in play, basically. That's pretty rough. Receiver is probably the Hawks' biggest strength. Really wish Moseley hadn't tried to break up that garbage time ball....
Samurai
General Manager

Post#226 » by Samurai » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:30 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Samurai wrote:And Womack, who went into concussion protocol yesterday, has already been ruled out against the Seahawks. Ambry Thomas hurt his ankle and we are still waiting for his MRI results. Also waiting on MRI results for Dontae Johnson (knee). May need to see if Ronnie Lott is available to suit up if we can't find enough bodies for the secondary!

WTF, man? I didn't realize any of those guys got hurt. Granted I was watching on delay and zipping through any moments when the ball was not in play, basically. That's pretty rough. Receiver is probably the Hawks' biggest strength. Really wish Moseley hadn't tried to break up that garbage time ball....

Niners might as well hold their practice at Stanford Hospital since they had so many players there....
Samurai
General Manager

Post#227 » by Samurai » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:35 pm

Samurai wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Niners might as well hold their practice at Stanford Hospital since they had so many players there....

Oh, and of course we are still waiting for MRI results on Brock Purdy's oblique injury. Although Purdy did say after the game that if it was necessary, he felt he could have finished the game so hopefully his isn't too serious.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#228 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:10 pm

[gfycat][/gfycat]
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:Kyle Shanahan got Trey Lance injured now Deebo. Stop freaking using our non running backs as if they’re fullbacks. He negligently designed plays for Trey as if he were a fullback. And he got carried away with Deebo. You have CMC and Jordan Mason. Let them fight for yards for you between the tackles.

Indeed. Instead of using Jordan Mason who has looked very impressive, Shanahan runs Deebo up the middle with a 21-0 lead??? WTF Thankfully its not a major injury.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#229 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:15 pm

Jikkle wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10053960-deebo-samuels-injury-most-likely-a-high-ankle-sprain-49ers-kyle-shanahan-says

That's actually good news since the injury looked scary and instead of gone for the season and having an injury with long-lasting impact it's an ankle sprain that he'll fully recover from and maybe have a shot being ready for the playoffs.

Yea high ankle is usually a 4 week injury. Trent Williams came back in exactly weeks himself.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#231 » by Samurai » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:04 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10058389-49ers-deebo-samuel-expected-to-return-during-regular-season-after-injury-vs-bucs

That's good news on Deebo! Purdy is day-to-day so he should be able to play Thursday. Givens is an MCL sprain, which typically is a 4-6 week recovery. Unfortunately Dontae Johnson tore his ACL so he is out for the year. Dontae typically gets most of his snaps on special teams, and with Womack out Thursday due to concussion protocols, our special teams coverage could suffer.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#232 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:36 am

Good news, but the team is banged up heading into Seattle, which is never a good thing. We should be able to handle Seattle even shorthanded, but we can't underestimate them. We'll get their best for sure, and they've been pretty good lately. Thankfully, their loss this week gives us a little cushion in case we can't close them out.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#233 » by zman1 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 12:49 am

Matt Maiocco wrote about another niner rookie qb who had a tremendous first game. I was hoping for Montana but it was Nick Mullens. Niners won 34 to 3 and he had 3 td passes. Let's hope Purdy has a better future than that.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Samurai
General Manager

Post#234 » by Samurai » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:28 am

zman1 wrote:Matt Maiocco wrote about another niner rookie qb who had a tremendous first game. I was hoping for Montana but it was Nick Mullens. Niners won 34 to 3 and he had 3 td passes. Let's hope Purdy has a better future than that.

I can't put a finger on it but I get a different vibe from Purdy than I got from Mullens. With Mullens, I always felt from the beginning that I was just looking at a back-up trying to hold things together. Purdy looks like a QB; more composure but still had that attitude that a leader has to have. Not saying he's guaranteed our QB1 next season, but I wouldn't be surprised if he is while I'd be shocked and disappointed if Mullens proved to be the best we had. Wish I had a better way to express what that "vibe' is but I don't. Not saying Purdy is a star or that he has a higher ceiling than Lance, but he just seems to be a great fit - like an ideal glove for Shanahan's hand (drawing board) on offense.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#235 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:09 am

zman1 wrote:Matt Maiocco wrote about another niner rookie qb who had a tremendous first game. I was hoping for Montana but it was Nick Mullens. Niners won 34 to 3 and he had 3 td passes. Let's hope Purdy has a better future than that.

Mullens' problem was the turnovers. He was remarkably effective as a passer, but he couldn't protect the ball. If he had, he would have had a chance to stick around. Not sold on Brock avoiding that pitfall, but we'll see. He's got a better cast than Mullens ever did.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#236 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:46 pm

Obviously fantastic news on Deebo. On Sunday with the reaction of himself and his teammates, it looked pretty bleak. Considering that, now knowing that he's expected back in the regular season is pretty damn close to the best possible news.

The rest of "MRI Monday" was predominantly positive as well. Losing Dontae Johnson to an ACL is a bummer. But overall, you have to be upbeat about the results.

For all of the obvious normal reasons, you really hope the 9ers can pull out a win on Thursday night to secure the division crown and at least 1 home playoff game. That would be huge. Also, 9ers are currently only 1 game behind Minnesota for the #2 seed, 9ers also currently hold the tiebreaker over the Vikings as well. #2 seed is significant because it carries home field advantage in the divisional round (if you make it there.)

Also, clinching the division early will probably take some of the pressure off guys like Deebo/Kinlaw/Ridgeway/Mitchell/Givens/even Garoppolo/etc to feel like they need to get back on the field ASAP. Of course they always want that, but knowing the division is already in hand might allow them to let the healing process come along naturally as opposed to feeling like they need to push the envelope.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#237 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:52 pm

Yeah, its definitely not the time to be having these what QB is the future of the 49ers talks. Its typically knee jerk chatter, you always hear with situations like this.

For me, I'm just going to appreciate Purdy for what he has done so far and hope the ride continues to be an enjoyable one.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#238 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Dec 13, 2022 8:06 pm

thesack12 wrote:

Yeah, its definitely not the time to be having these what QB is the future of the 49ers talks. Its typically knee jerk chatter, you always hear with situations like this.

For me, I'm just going to appreciate Purdy for what he has done so far and hope the ride continues to be an enjoyable one.

At this point, the hope is that Purdy can prove that he is a solid backup who can win a couple games going forward if Lance gets hurt again. Anything else is gravy. That said, this year we're in the hunt, so I really hope he can continue to play the way he has to date. The more film that gets out there, the tougher that will be, but he's shown some real moxie to date. Let's hope he keeps it up on Thursday.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#239 » by Jikkle » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:10 am

thesack12 wrote:

It's the day and age we live in that everything is all about the moment in time.

People want to label Lance a bust after only a couple of games and label Purdy the next big thing after basically 2 games. And when the team wins big we're Super Bowl favorites and win the team loses we're one of the worst teams in the league. Not to mention we have the worst drafts ever yet we have one of the strongest rosters in the league. And I could go on.

I'm cautiously optimistic about Purdy and I hope he does ball out and leads us to a SB win and we have the good kind of QB problem in the offseason. But I've seen Purdy's story played out over and over and over again and they usually can't maintain a high level of consistent play. The QB position is one of the most analyzed positions for all teams and there is usually a reason why guys go undrafted or drafted in the later rounds and there is a reason that a Tom Brady story is extremely rare in the league.

And I get why the media has hyped it up and why the public is into it because we just love the scrappy underdog. We love stories like Rudy or Doug Flutie and want to see guys succeed based on hard work and guts. So Mr. Irrevenlant playing well is a fantastic story and one I hope continues but I'm also very prepared for him to come down to earth because odds are that's what's going to happen.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#240 » by Jikkle » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:14 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

At this point, the hope is that Purdy can prove that he is a solid backup who can win a couple games going forward if Lance gets hurt again. Anything else is gravy. That said, this year we're in the hunt, so I really hope he can continue to play the way he has to date. The more film that gets out there, the tougher that will be, but he's shown some real moxie to date. Let's hope he keeps it up on Thursday.

I can see why they envisioned him as becoming a backup to Lance because the offense he's running is closer to what Lance would've run minus the designed runs. He doesn't have a cannon arm like Lance does so probably less deep shots but Shanahan has him moving around far more than he had Jimmy did and while Purdy's arm isn't great he does seem to be able and willing to hit more throws outside the numbers.

Return to San Francisco 49ers