thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,249

Re: Training Camp Thread 

Post#305 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:29 am

Dodub wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Dodub wrote:
I agree. I was confused when we signed him to begin with. We have several young, up and coming CB’s who can play his role. He’s no more talented than Womack or Knight

The worst part is if they have to use Dmo as the nickel, it further weakens an already shaky position group, especially on the outside

See, I really like Womack out there so I don’t see it being that big of an issue.

I like Womack, and he sure seems to have a nose for the ball. I'm not yet completely sold on his coverage skills yet
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#306 » by Dodub » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:32 am

Barely made it. Moody might not be it
thesack12
RealGM

Post#307 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:33 am

Moody sneaks it inside the right upright for the game winner.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#308 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:34 am

You absolutely gotta feel good about Trey leading a comeback TD Drive to Latu and then the game winning FG drive with Moody kicking the game winner
thesack12
RealGM

Post#309 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 3:34 am

MUCH more positivity coming out of this game, than last week
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,601

Post#310 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:03 am

Suspiciously ticked every box tonight…waiting to hear ____ out for the year or some ****. Did type a name but decided that while I utterly reject superstition, no sane 49er fan tempts the gods of injury. You can probably guess…looks to be in the best shape of his career?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#311 » by arich35 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:36 am

Harry Palmer wrote:Suspiciously ticked every box tonight…waiting to hear ____ out for the year or some ****. Did type a name but decided that while I utterly reject superstition, no sane 49er fan tempts the gods of injury. You can probably guess…looks to be in the best shape of his career?

Gray has a possible collarbone
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#312 » by arich35 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:37 am

Kyle said starters will play next week. Good news there
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#313 » by Jikkle » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:30 am

This game shows why I just haven't been religiously following TC as I had in the past.

Fans including myself just tend to be overly reactive to everything when most of the stuff being sweated over usually doesn't pan out.

This is year 8 (maybe 7) of the Shanahan regime and I can pretty much tell you in the upcoming season the offense is going to have games where it can't move the ball to save it's life and games were it looks unstoppable. We'll still frustrating get stuffed on short-yardage players. Pass blocking will be below average. And whoever the backup QB is will likely have to play at least a couple games at some point.

Defensively is where things will be interesting but we'll still be soft up the middle against the run, still want to throw the remote at the TV as the QB scrambles for a 3rd down conversion up the middle to open field, but we'll make it up by eventually getting that big sack that stalls out the opposing offense.

This upcoming season we're going to lose and look sloppy against a bad team or two we have no business losing too. Get torched by a good team or two, torch a few teams ourselves, but mostly win and lose one to two score games.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#314 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:48 pm

Fair bit of noise on the QB performances. Figured I might as well add my voice to it.

Purdy looked solid. Shanahan made things easy for him, with rollouts, play action, basically giving him quick, defined reads and moving the pocket to keep the defense guessing. But he executed it very well. The sack wasn't his fault as he really had no option except MAYBE to try to throw it away. Otherwise, he looked solid. It's clearly his job.

I thought Darnold looked pretty good overall. He threw several really nice balls, was generally decisive with the ball, and the INT was not his fault. We did see a little bit of the paralysis by analysis that Darnold suffers from when that first read wasn't open, and I don't expect that to change soon, but for today, I thought he looked solid, like a guy we could win some games with if it came to it.

Lance bounced back from a very shaky start to play really well, and show a tantalizing glimpse of what he could be. After shaking off a brutal first drive-and-a-half, really, he came alive and looked decisive, accurate, and commanding. His TD drive was excellent, as was his game-winning drive. And sure, Ronnie Bell did a lot of the work, but Trey hit him with a perfect ball to let him explode for that big gain.

That said, I don't want the end to overshadow that rocky start. He threw one INT - granted a good play by the DL who made the PBU, and a great play by the one who dove and caught the ball - but he once again had two additional balls that could/should have been picked. The pass rush appeared to be really affecting him early, understandably, but to his credit, he stepped up in a big way.

Overall, I fell about how I have throughout. Purdy should be #1, Lance should be #2, and Darnold should be #3. I would love to get Lance more reps, but barring injury, I just don't see how. He hasn't been good enough to knock off Purdy, who continues to execute the offense the way Shanahan wants it done. I really hope the guy gets a chance, but I also want Purdy to stay healthy, so we're basically back in that limbo we've been in. Odds are we'll see at least two of them at some point this year, so I guess we'll see what shakes out.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#315 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:14 pm

Wanted to add that I liked the Drake Jackson pick as I thought he had the burst to become a very effective edge rusher, and the frame to play every down, but Nik Bonitto was another edge guy I liked a lot as a situational pass rusher at that pick. He was getting a ton of pressure off the edge against our second and third-string OTs, and was really showing that burst off the line I had hoped Jackson would bring. Will be interesting to continue to monitor these two as their careers progress.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#316 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:13 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Overall, I fell about how I have throughout. Purdy should be #1, Lance should be #2, and Darnold should be #3. I would love to get Lance more reps, but barring injury, I just don't see how. He hasn't been good enough to knock off Purdy, who continues to execute the offense the way Shanahan wants it done. I really hope the guy gets a chance, but I also want Purdy to stay healthy, so we're basically back in that limbo we've been in. Odds are we'll see at least two of them at some point this year, so I guess we'll see what shakes out.

A number of the talking heads have Darnold ahead of Lance for QB#2, largely basing it on Darnold looking a bit better in practices. Since I don't see their practices, I can't speak to that. But just as an uninformed fan, I prefer the order that you have. Purdy is clearly QB#1. If Lance has to enter the game (due to injury), our chances of winning certainly go down. But Lance gives us that extra dimension where he could get lucky and break off a long run with his legs that we don't get with Purdy or Darnold. If Purdy goes out and Darnold enters, we get a similarly lower chance of winning but without the option of breaking off a lucky long run. Or a more likely outcome of picking up a key first down on 3rd and 10 with a QB scramble. Lance giving us a different dimension than Purdy is largely why I'd prefer him over Darnold.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#317 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:29 am

Samurai wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Overall, I fell about how I have throughout. Purdy should be #1, Lance should be #2, and Darnold should be #3. I would love to get Lance more reps, but barring injury, I just don't see how. He hasn't been good enough to knock off Purdy, who continues to execute the offense the way Shanahan wants it done. I really hope the guy gets a chance, but I also want Purdy to stay healthy, so we're basically back in that limbo we've been in. Odds are we'll see at least two of them at some point this year, so I guess we'll see what shakes out.

A number of the talking heads have Darnold ahead of Lance for QB#2, largely basing it on Darnold looking a bit better in practices. Since I don't see their practices, I can't speak to that. But just as an uninformed fan, I prefer the order that you have. Purdy is clearly QB#1. If Lance has to enter the game (due to injury), our chances of winning certainly go down. But Lance gives us that extra dimension where he could get lucky and break off a long run with his legs that we don't get with Purdy or Darnold. If Purdy goes out and Darnold enters, we get a similarly lower chance of winning but without the option of breaking off a lucky long run. Or a more likely outcome of picking up a key first down on 3rd and 10 with a QB scramble. Lance giving us a different dimension than Purdy is largely why I'd prefer him over Darnold.

My view has been and remains that we know that Darnold is not very good (downright awful?) in live action. Jury is still out on Trey. If they are even close, it's got to be Trey.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#318 » by Jikkle » Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:28 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Samurai wrote:

My view has been and remains that we know that Darnold is not very good (downright awful?) in live action. Jury is still out on Trey. If they are even close, it's got to be Trey.

I'll concur with that sentiment.

Darnold has a large enough book on him that yeah I can see him being more productive with the 9ers than he was with the Jets and Panthers but I don't think he's suddenly going to being putting out some high-end QB play out there. I see him being a functional game manager that will get picked more than you would like.

Lance at least has untapped potential and could be a high-end QB. I'm still under the belief he just needs reps because we've seen him start cold but heat up and get comfortable as he plays more and I'd like to see him get a chance at playing a couple games in a row to see if he can build on one game to another and to another.

Obviously Purdy is the starter and that's not going to change unless he gets hurt which given the history of the Shanahan era that's not a far-fetched possibility and I'd find it more likely he missed a game or two this season than playing in every game. Or if he absolutely melts down which I doubt he will but we'll see how defenses play him the more tape they get on him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#319 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 22, 2023 3:37 pm

Though I will say, Trey's penchant for starting slowly hurts him in the battle for #2. If a guy has a week to prep and will play the whole game, I'd much prefer to roll the dice with Trey. If I need a guy for a couple drives late in the game, Darnold could be the safer choice.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#320 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:13 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Fair bit of noise on the QB performances. Figured I might as well add my voice to it.

Purdy looked solid. Shanahan made things easy for him, with rollouts, play action, basically giving him quick, defined reads and moving the pocket to keep the defense guessing. But he executed it very well. The sack wasn't his fault as he really had no option except MAYBE to try to throw it away. Otherwise, he looked solid. It's clearly his job.

I thought Darnold looked pretty good overall. He threw several really nice balls, was generally decisive with the ball, and the INT was not his fault. We did see a little bit of the paralysis by analysis that Darnold suffers from when that first read wasn't open, and I don't expect that to change soon, but for today, I thought he looked solid, like a guy we could win some games with if it came to it.

Lance bounced back from a very shaky start to play really well, and show a tantalizing glimpse of what he could be. After shaking off a brutal first drive-and-a-half, really, he came alive and looked decisive, accurate, and commanding. His TD drive was excellent, as was his game-winning drive. And sure, Ronnie Bell did a lot of the work, but Trey hit him with a perfect ball to let him explode for that big gain.

That said, I don't want the end to overshadow that rocky start. He threw one INT - granted a good play by the DL who made the PBU, and a great play by the one who dove and caught the ball - but he once again had two additional balls that could/should have been picked. The pass rush appeared to be really affecting him early, understandably, but to his credit, he stepped up in a big way.

Overall, I fell about how I have throughout. Purdy should be #1, Lance should be #2, and Darnold should be #3. I would love to get Lance more reps, but barring injury, I just don't see how. He hasn't been good enough to knock off Purdy, who continues to execute the offense the way Shanahan wants it done. I really hope the guy gets a chance, but I also want Purdy to stay healthy, so we're basically back in that limbo we've been in. Odds are we'll see at least two of them at some point this year, so I guess we'll see what shakes out.

Overall this is a good recap. Lance really did bounce back to have a good 4th qtr. Seems most the passes he threw fit his strengths. The area he needs the most work on are quick reads in the short to medium range.

Return to San Francisco 49ers