ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 2: 49ers @ Rams

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Re: Week 2: 49ers @ Rams 

Post#381 » by arich35 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:20 pm

Not a good game for the offense or defense really and we still win by 7.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#382 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:23 pm

BTW, Purdy is a game manager until he proves otherwise.

Those throws he missed aren't even throws that require arm talent.

He's obviously played great so far in his career, but he's put up good numbers because his weapons have made a lot of big plays with RAC.
arich35
General Manager

Post#383 » by arich35 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:30 pm

wco81 wrote:BTW, Purdy is a game manager until he proves otherwise.

He's obviously played great so far in his career, but he's put up good numbers because his weapons have made a lot of big plays with RAC.

I will say most of those throws are ones he makes and we see him make minus the deep Deebo throw. Every QB has off days, so I am going to chalk it up to that until it is a pattern
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#384 » by Bald Bull » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:33 pm

what we gonna do when puka and kupp are both healthy lol
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#385 » by RIPskaterdude » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:37 pm

thesack12 wrote:Not sure what the final line was, but that useless FG as time expired might have effected some people's $
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#386 » by CharityStripe34 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:39 pm

Nice W. Team looked grittier in the second half, especially the defense. Nice game from Brock, but gotta hit those 3 deep shots. The sideline 50/50 to Jennings was a thing of beauty

Sent from my LM-K500 using RealGM mobile app
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,247

Post#387 » by thesack12 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:44 pm

RIPskaterdude wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Not sure what the final line was, but that useless FG as time expired might have effected some people's $

That's what I heard several days ago, wasn't sure if it moved.

But Oh man, that pointless FG shifted a lot of money.

Of course, some people are loving it and others were throwing stuff at the TV.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#388 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:48 pm

thesack12 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:

McVay may be thinking of point difference tiebreaker at end of season.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,247

Post#389 » by thesack12 » Sun Sep 17, 2023 11:52 pm

wco81 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:-7.5

McVay may be thinking of point difference tiebreaker at end of season.

To have that thought in that situation, would be some serious forward thinking. Especially for something that is so far down the tie-breaker list.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#390 » by Jikkle » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:08 am

It wasn't exactly the cleanest game played you'd like to see but it's a win and the reality is you're going to have a number of those kinds of games in the NFL season, especially against divisional opponents.

On the positive side despite not playing well the offense still put up 30 which is great and the defense gave up just 23 which isn't great but not awful either.

Offensively I didn't find a ton to complain about except the overthrows by Purdy were just terrible. Not saying you have to hit those every single time but you just can't miss like that multiple times in a game. Fortunately, it didn't impact the outcome but if that happens in the NFC Championship game or Super Bowl we're probably going home with a loss. That kill shot is what is the frustrating piece that's been missing from the offense and if Purdy wants to a QB beyond just slightly better Jimmy G he's gotta land a few of those.

Defensively the one positive I'll say is that Wilks at least made adjustments at halftime and the defense did play better. Other than that it's was just poor all around by the defense from players to coaches. I don't know what it is but since the Shanahan era began we've been playing this social distancing defense where every DB acts like every WR they are going against is Tyreek Hill and they need to give a 5 yard cushion no matter what and we just watch one 12ish yard completion after another while the dude is catching it with 3 guys around them. Just baffles me because you'd think they would want to play the coverage tight knowing the QB is probably going to look to pass it quickly because of the threat of the pass rush. The defense pretty much spits out a few performances like that a season so that trend doesn't look like it'll change this season.

Again it's a win and they need to stack these wins against these kinds of opponents so they have the breathing room to lose to opponents they could reasonably lose too.
Bald Bull
Veteran
And1: 155

Post#391 » by Bald Bull » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:49 am

people are disappointed purdy missed the bombs, but he should also get credit for some of the dimes he dropped to aiyuk and jennings to. he threaded it on some of those passes.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#392 » by Big J » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:58 am

Been saying this for months. He's a good game manager and a cute underdog story, but he's going to come up small against the big boys in the playoffs. There's a reason he was the last pick in the draft.
arich35
General Manager

Post#393 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:44 am

Big J wrote:

Been saying this for months. He's a good game manager and a cute underdog story, but he's going to come up small against the big boys in the playoffs. There's a reason he was the last pick in the draft.

Dude already won two playoff games
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#394 » by Jikkle » Mon Sep 18, 2023 9:59 am

Bald Bull wrote:people are disappointed purdy missed the bombs, but he should also get credit for some of the dimes he dropped to aiyuk and jennings to. he threaded it on some of those passes.

I don't think anyone is taking that away from him because I think almost everyone agrees that he had himself at the least a solid game but he just can't simply miss those deep throws to guys open and leave 14 points off the board like that especially if you want to see this team win a SB.

He overthrew both so I don't know if he's unsure where he's arm strength is at and just chucked them as hard as he could and overthrew them or what's going on because it's not like he underthrew them so it wasn't that he didn't have the strength to make either of those throws. I mean he's never going to be prime Russell Wilson and just make his living dropping those deep rainbows right in the hands of a WR in stride but he's gotta hit those more often than he misses them.
Big J
General Manager

Post#395 » by Big J » Mon Sep 18, 2023 11:51 am

arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Jimmy won playoff games too. I’m talking about games against big boy teams.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#396 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 2:12 pm

Wasnt pretty by any means, but a win is a win. Good teams find ways to ways to win. What was a bit shocking - ZERO touches for Elijah Mitchell and Jordan Mason. Wow. Lets hope that changes quickly and CMC isnt being overused.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#397 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Sep 18, 2023 4:22 pm

Defense was the bigger issue than the offense today. OL is still something of a concern, and Purdy has to be able to hit those deep balls, but we didn't turn the ball over and put up 30, so the offense wasn't the issue in this one.

I will say, playing back-to-back road games on opposite coasts is pretty tough. Travel to Pittsburgh. Play a physical game. Turn around and come home, then head out again to play down south. At least that second flight it short, but it's still a toll on the body. And we're coming out of that into a Thursday game. Thanks, schedule makers.

At the end of the day, we're 2-0 coming off two relatively challenging games to start the season. The Rams are much better than I thought. We'll see if that lasts. They don't have much depth at all, so as injuries start to take a toll, they could fall off quickly, but they're a legit team right now.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#398 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 5:34 pm

Big J wrote:

Typical you would come in with this after a couple of overthrown balls in a single game
arich35
General Manager

Post#399 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:24 pm

Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Oh sorry, didn't realize only a small percentage of playoff games matter.
Big J
General Manager

Post#400 » by Big J » Mon Sep 18, 2023 6:59 pm

arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:

Oh sorry, didn't realize only a small percentage of playoff games matter.

I thought the expectation for this team was to win a ring.

Return to San Francisco 49ers