Re: Preseason Finale, Raiders @ 49ers 

Post#41 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:55 pm

Sudfeld is in, boooooo
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#42 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:58 pm

Yeah, 9ers definitely should not keep 3 QB's.

Sudfeld is worthless, and keeping him would also force them to sacrifice a talented player at another position
thesack12
RealGM

Post#43 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:07 pm

Obviously wayyy early, but Ambry Thomas has shown nothing but concern
thesack12
RealGM

Post#44 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:09 pm

NFL Network just cut to the Patriots/Giants

Guess I'm done, lol
thesack12
RealGM

Post#45 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:34 pm

Well since NFL network decided I needed to watch the Pats vs Giants instead of my 9ers, it looks like Hasty has solidified his roster spot. And Ha Ha made a big push to claim him a roster spot as well
thesack12
RealGM

Post#46 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:47 pm

As for my opinion on the rotating QB's, I think it can be very effective is used correctly.

For one, it probably needs to be used sparingly/situationally. I don't think we will see it with near the frequency that we saw it today, at times they were literally doing it every play.

Earlier I voiced how I could see it resulting in some delay of game or false start penalties, as well as some burned TO's. That becomes more of a concern, if you are constantly rotating like we saw today.

However, my biggest concern with it is what types of play packages are going to be on the table with the strategy, and more specifically how much of the playbook will be available. If the offense shows tendencies to use only certain groups of personnel, or run a certain block of plays while doing the rotation thing, defenses will become keen to it and learn how to defend it.

Also I don't think its going to be a sustainable type of attack, especially if its used too frequently. Eventually, there will be enough game film where defenses will be able to build a book on the approach, and learn how to plan/defend it. Much like the Wildcat that was en vogue several years ago. Teams stopped using it when defenses learned how to combat it.

Now, I will say that its a interesting wrinkle for the offense and could prove to be a very effective tool in Kyle's box. Its also a clever way to get Lance some live action experience. I just think that it might be better served using it in a situational fashion more so than building a game plan around it.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#47 » by thesack12 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:06 pm

Mostert
Sermon
Hasty
Gallman
Mitchell

9ers are going to have a hard decision to make at RB. All those guys can help a team, and whomever they cut is all but guaranteed to get claimed. I doubt they can sneak anybody onto their practice squad.

Then they will have another tough decision to make at RB when Wilson Jr returns later this season.

Really makes you wonder why they insisted on drafting 2 RB's, even after signing Gallman. Especially considering Kyle has a well deserved reputation of being able to get solid production out of RB's he finds on the scrap heap. Wilson, Breida, Hasty are all recent examples of this.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#48 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:00 am

thesack12 wrote:Mostert
Sermon
Hasty
Gallman
Mitchell

9ers are going to have a hard decision to make at RB. All those guys can help a team, and whomever they cut is all but guaranteed to get claimed. I doubt they can sneak anybody onto their practice squad.

Then they will have another tough decision to make at RB when Wilson Jr returns later this season.

Really makes you wonder why they insisted on drafting 2 RB's, even after signing Gallman. Especially considering Kyle has a well deserved reputation of being able to get solid production out of RB's he finds on the scrap heap. Wilson, Breida, Hasty are all recent examples of this.

They should try to trade Gallman to the Ravens. Though trading for a RB seems very un-Raven-like.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#49 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:01 am

They might want to shop one of the interior DL, too.

Sudfeld better be a PS guy. They didn't even have him attempt to throw it. What are you waiting for? He clearly needs the practice.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#50 » by Jikkle » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:09 am

thesack12 wrote:As for my opinion on the rotating QB's, I think it can be very effective is used correctly.

For one, it probably needs to be used sparingly/situationally. I don't think we will see it with near the frequency that we saw it today, at times they were literally doing it every play.

Earlier I voiced how I could see it resulting in some delay of game or false start penalties, as well as some burned TO's. That becomes more of a concern, if you are constantly rotating like we saw today.

However, my biggest concern with it is what types of play packages are going to be on the table with the strategy, and more specifically how much of the playbook will be available. If the offense shows tendencies to use only certain groups of personnel, or run a certain block of plays while doing the rotation thing, defenses will become keen to it and learn how to defend it.

Also I don't think its going to be a sustainable type of attack, especially if its used too frequently. Eventually, there will be enough game film where defenses will be able to build a book on the approach, and learn how to plan/defend it. Much like the Wildcat that was en vogue several years ago. Teams stopped using it when defenses learned how to combat it.

Now, I will say that its a interesting wrinkle for the offense and could prove to be a very effective tool in Kyle's box. Its also a clever way to get Lance some live action experience. I just think that it might be better served using it in a situational fashion more so than building a game plan around it.

I think the difference with the Trey package compared to say something like the Wildcat is most of the offense is going to be available with Trey in it and if a defense keys in too heavily on one thing Kyle will dial up something else to punish them for it.

Defenses are probably going to play the odds and expect a running play but Lance isn't an RB or Tim Tebow and he can throw the ball it's just his problem is inconsistency due to how raw he is.

I believe the thinking behind it is the defense might anticipate it's a running play but that still doesn't change the fact they have to account for Lance running the ball and if the start paying too downhill you just dial up some play action passes and make them pay off that.

But I don't see them switching out as often as they did today and I see that as Kyle getting a trail run of it out there to see what kinks need to be worked out of it. But I don't think it's going to be Lance handing the ball off all the time either as I felt Kyle was trying to keep it as vanilla as he could get away with to give away as little as possible.

The frequency it's used will probably be based on the opponent and based on how the offense is doing. If the offense is rolling with Jimmy the switching will likely be sparse but if the offense is sputtering a bit with Jimmy they'll probably switch Trey in to try to spark it.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#51 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:53 pm

thesack12 wrote:Obviously wayyy early, but Ambry Thomas has shown nothing but concern

I'm willing to cut him a little slack because he didn't play at all last season, but he absolutely needs to step up. Passing on Asante Samuel Jr. may come back to bite us in the @$$.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#52 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:17 pm

I watched the game during the fantasy draft and rewatched it last night. Two players that really stuck out to me this preseason are Sherfield and Hasty. I know Hasty played later this game but he is so quick to the LOS and decisive in hitting the running lanes. He was better than Gallman last night. The issue with Hasty last season was fumbling the ball but I hope he makes the team. Didn't see much out of Mitchell running the ball.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#53 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:18 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:They might want to shop one of the interior DL, too.

Sudfeld better be a PS guy. They didn't even have him attempt to throw it. What are you waiting for? He clearly needs the practice.

Sudfeld actually did complete one pass, lol. It was actually a nicely thrown ball and completion, lol
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#54 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:20 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Sermon
Hasty
Gallman
Mitchell

They should try to trade Gallman to the Ravens. Though trading for a RB seems very un-Raven-like.

I really liked those first three above in the game last night and overall this preseason. Mitchell hasn't shown me much. Gallman looked okay but I like Hasty better
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#55 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:54 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:They might want to shop one of the interior DL, too.

Sudfeld actually did complete one pass, lol. It was actually a nicely thrown ball and completion, lol

That was meant to be hyperbolic. I was not meaning to suggest he literally never threw it. Ha!
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#56 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:57 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Sermon
Hasty
Gallman
Mitchell

I really liked those first three above in the game last night and overall this preseason. Mitchell hasn't shown me much. Gallman looked okay but I like Hasty better

If we hadn't drafted Sermon, I'd want to keep Gallman as the solid, reliable back. But with Sermon, he's a bit redundant. I haven't seen much of Mitchell, but presumably they drafted him for a reason knowing Gallman was already on the roster, and reports out of camp have been pretty favorable. I'd lean toward the young guys, but as said, I'd be actively shopping the guy who has some track record of success in the league and might net a pick.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#57 » by Samurai » Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:47 pm

Based solely on what I've seen in the games thus far, I'd rather keep Hasty over Mitchell. Sounds like David Lombardi and Matt Barrows are predicting that the Niners will keep Mitchell and hope that Hasty passes through waivers so he can be on the practice squad. I think that's a mistake.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#58 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:35 pm

Samurai wrote:Based solely on what I've seen in the games thus far, I'd rather keep Hasty over Mitchell. Sounds like David Lombardi and Matt Barrows are predicting that the Niners will keep Mitchell and hope that Hasty passes through waivers so he can be on the practice squad. I think that's a mistake.

I can't see Hasty making it through waivers. We kept him over Ahmed last year, and Ahmed was picked up and did well. Hasty has looked good every time he's gotten a chance. I'd be very hard-pressed to keep Mitchell over him at this point. Though again, I'd take both guys over Gallman.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#59 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:15 am

Jikkle wrote:
thesack12 wrote:As for my opinion on the rotating QB's, I think it can be very effective is used correctly.

I think the difference with the Trey package compared to say something like the Wildcat is most of the offense is going to be available with Trey in it and if a defense keys in too heavily on one thing Kyle will dial up something else to punish them for it.

Defenses are probably going to play the odds and expect a running play but Lance isn't an RB or Tim Tebow and he can throw the ball it's just his problem is inconsistency due to how raw he is.

I believe the thinking behind it is the defense might anticipate it's a running play but that still doesn't change the fact they have to account for Lance running the ball and if the start paying too downhill you just dial up some play action passes and make them pay off that.

But I don't see them switching out as often as they did today and I see that as Kyle getting a trail run of it out there to see what kinks need to be worked out of it. But I don't think it's going to be Lance handing the ball off all the time either as I felt Kyle was trying to keep it as vanilla as he could get away with to give away as little as possible.

The frequency it's used will probably be based on the opponent and based on how the offense is doing. If the offense is rolling with Jimmy the switching will likely be sparse but if the offense is sputtering a bit with Jimmy they'll probably switch Trey in to try to spark it.

I agree with you.

I don't think when Trey is in, its going to be a run play every time. However, I don't think the entire playbook will be an option during the QB rotations. Its a simple matter of logistics. One specific example being, the 9ers run a lot of pre snap motion, well when you rotate in a QB you are automatically going to lose like 10+ seconds on the play clock, then you need to huddle up, have the line get set, etc. So there isn't going to be a lot of time for that pre-snap motion before the play clock runs out.

So I can see some tendencies being reflected pertaining to personnel groupings and play packages. That said, of course Kyle is a billion times smarter than me and has forgotten more about football than I'll ever know. So I'm sure he can make it work fine with a large percentage of the playbook, and keep defenses guessing with different looks.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#60 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:17 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Samurai wrote:Based solely on what I've seen in the games thus far, I'd rather keep Hasty over Mitchell. Sounds like David Lombardi and Matt Barrows are predicting that the Niners will keep Mitchell and hope that Hasty passes through waivers so he can be on the practice squad. I think that's a mistake.

I can't see Hasty making it through waivers. We kept him over Ahmed last year, and Ahmed was picked up and did well. Hasty has looked good every time he's gotten a chance. I'd be very hard-pressed to keep Mitchell over him at this point. Though again, I'd take both guys over Gallman.

Yeah, I'd say there is next to no chance they could sneak Hasty onto the practice squad.

Mitchell has flashed return and coverage value on special teams, so I can see that allowing him to make the roster. If they can't find a trade, Gallman should probably be the RB to go. Although apparently Wayne has decent pass protection prowess, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was kept.

Return to San Francisco 49ers