ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 NFL Draft

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Re: 2023 NFL Draft 

Post#41 » by arich35 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:10 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Maybe you take Moody in the 5th. In the third? With our second pick? This team has so few valuable picks. We cannot waste them on a kicker. Not to mention that rookie kickers have an awful track record. We should have addressed OT, DE, or WR. Unbelievable.

I assume they think he would be gone before their next pick after 101
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#42 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:10 am

I had a feeling they would reach for Moody in the third. I just didn't want to believe it, because it's so impossibly stupid. They just have no sense of positional value at all. If you're going to draft for need, take an OT or DE.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#43 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:11 am

And now they take Cameron frickin' Latu in the third?!?! Latu was a guy I would have been content with in the 5th. How is this team as successful as it is with these chuckle-heads running the show?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#44 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:13 am

Man, what a disappointment. We waited so long for that? Brutal. Unless Brock or Trey turns into a top-5 QB, this team is going to be in serious trouble in two or three years.
arich35
General Manager

Post#45 » by arich35 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:15 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Man, what a disappointment. We waited so long for that? Brutal. Unless Brock or Trey turns into a top-5 QB, this team is going to be in serious trouble in two or three years.

I know you aren't happy but I think this front office should be given the benefit of the doubt given the track record
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#46 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:21 am

arich35 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Man, what a disappointment. We waited so long for that? Brutal. Unless Brock or Trey turns into a top-5 QB, this team is going to be in serious trouble in two or three years.

I know you aren't happy but I think this front office should be given the benefit of the doubt given the track record

They passed up on Justin Fields. Drafted Trey Sermon and TDP in the third round. They don’t have a good track record.
arich35
General Manager

Post#47 » by arich35 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:22 am

Our next pick is 155, so my guess is Moody wouldn't have lasted that long and they really like him. He is the best kicker available and we needed a good on to replace Gould, not really upset with it
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#48 » by Samurai » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:24 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:I had a feeling they would reach for Moody in the third. I just didn't want to believe it, because it's so impossibly stupid. They just have no sense of positional value at all. If you're going to draft for need, take an OT or DE.

Apparently their scouting reports felt that none of the OT's available could beat out McKivitz or Moore. Which either means our guys have impressed the coaches in practice that we haven't seen or they were thoroughly unimpressed with Freeland, Jones and the other OT's out there.

I could see them taking a flyer on Fehoko (the DE from San Jose State) in the later rounds.
arich35
General Manager

Post#49 » by arich35 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:25 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
arich35 wrote:

They passed up on Justin Fields. Drafted Trey Sermon and TDP in the third round. They don’t have a good track record.

Every team makes those types of mistakes in hindsight. We also have drafted guys who have been good to really good, and the team has had success.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#50 » by clyde21 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:34 am

either the draft is that bad to take a kicker in the 3rd or they just packed it in this year and said **** it
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#51 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:34 am

Samurai
General Manager

Post#52 » by Samurai » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:46 am

Trying to picture Lynch and Shanahan jumping up and down and high-fiving everyone in the room shouting "we got a kicker! Woo-hoo!!"
arich35
General Manager

Post#53 » by arich35 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:51 am

Samurai wrote:Trying to picture Lynch and Shanahan jumping up and down and high-fiving everyone in the room shouting "we got a kicker! Woo-hoo!!"

Kickers are pretty important. We had a guy who was pretty much money under 50 yards and now we have a young guy who in college was pretty much money inside 50 yards but has the leg to hit FGs above 50 yards
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#54 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:51 am

arich35 wrote:Our next pick is 155, so my guess is Moody wouldn't have lasted that long and they really like him. He is the best kicker available and we needed a good on to replace Gould, not really upset with it

Then you trade back to the fourth and take him there. You just cannot maintain a championship roster if you trade away your first-, second-, and third-round picks and then use your second pick in a deep draft on a kicker. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but this was a huge reach that suggests to me that they grossly overrate the strength of this roster. Philly is going to be out for blood next year, and on paper, they are clearly the superior squad.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#55 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:59 am

Samurai wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:I had a feeling they would reach for Moody in the third. I just didn't want to believe it, because it's so impossibly stupid. They just have no sense of positional value at all. If you're going to draft for need, take an OT or DE.

Apparently their scouting reports felt that none of the OT's available could beat out McKivitz or Moore. Which either means our guys have impressed the coaches in practice that we haven't seen or they were thoroughly unimpressed with Freeland, Jones and the other OT's out there.

I could see them taking a flyer on Fehoko (the DE from San Jose State) in the later rounds.

So take another position. Take a CB. Take a WR. Hell, take a RB with receiving skills to groom behind McCaffrey. What you absolutely cannot do is draft a kicker there, especially when you haven't picked until the late-3rd round. If they had their normal first, second, and third rounders, in addition to three comp picks, then MAYBE you can justify taking a kicker. As your second pick in the draft, when you have major depth questions across the board, it's just not an acceptable move.
Samurai
General Manager

Post#56 » by Samurai » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:02 am

arich35 wrote:
Samurai wrote:Trying to picture Lynch and Shanahan jumping up and down and high-fiving everyone in the room shouting "we got a kicker! Woo-hoo!!"

Kickers are pretty important. We had a guy who was pretty much money under 50 yards and now we have a young guy who in college was pretty much money inside 50 yards but has the leg to hit FGs above 50 yards

Not saying kickers are unimportant. But he doesn't have a booming leg and only made 67% from 40+ yards over the past two seasons. That doesn't scream 3rd round necessity to me. Justin Tucker was an undrafted FA; he seemed to turn out just fine.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#57 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:09 am

arich35 wrote:

I've defended this FO more than most. For all their misses, they've put together a very strong roster. But they've also really kicked the can down the road in terms of ballooning contracts for what will be aging stars in a couple years, contracts with significant dead money built into them in the form of void years, and a dearth of depth caused by trading away draft picks.

Yes, they have done a good job of finding value late in the draft and in low-priced FAs. But they've been pretty bad in the early rounds. They had huge misses on Thomas, Foster, Kinlaw, Pettis, Beathard, Hurd, and Sermon. Several more guys like Ambry Thomas and Davis-Price could easily be added to that list. I don't think they deserve the benefit of the doubt on draft picks, and even if Moody is the best rookie kicker in history, he still will simply not be worth that pick in terms of value added.
arich35
General Manager

Post#58 » by arich35 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:10 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
arich35 wrote:Our next pick is 155, so my guess is Moody wouldn't have lasted that long and they really like him. He is the best kicker available and we needed a good on to replace Gould, not really upset with it

Then you trade back to the fourth and take him there. You just cannot maintain a championship roster if you trade away your first-, second-, and third-round picks and then use your second pick in a deep draft on a kicker. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but this was a huge reach that suggests to me that they grossly overrate the strength of this roster. Philly is going to be out for blood next year, and on paper, they are clearly the superior squad.

Who trades back to the 4th round from a comp 3rd round pick? We don't need more 5th-7th round picks, we don't have enough roster spots. We have a pretty similar team to last year, added one of if not the best defensive free agent available. I feel pretty confident in the team, as long as the QB position is similar to last year. Our scouts clearly didn't see a guy who can fight for the RT spot or NB spot so they went with a position of need and the best player. Obviously spending basically an early 4th round pick on a kicker isn't ideal but with our next pick being 50+ away we kind of had to.

I am not sure how they overrate the strength of the roster, if we didn't lose 3 QBs last year I think we would have beaten the Eagles
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#59 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:41 am

arich35 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Who trades back to the 4th round from a comp 3rd round pick? We don't need more 5th-7th round picks, we don't have enough roster spots. We have a pretty similar team to last year, added one of if not the best defensive free agent available. I feel pretty confident in the team, as long as the QB position is similar to last year. Our scouts clearly didn't see a guy who can fight for the RT spot or NB spot so they went with a position of need and the best player. Obviously spending basically an early 4th round pick on a kicker isn't ideal but with our next pick being 50+ away we kind of had to.

I am not sure how they overrate the strength of the roster, if we didn't lose 3 QBs last year I think we would have beaten the Eagles

Then you package some of those picks and move UP from the fifth round.

You think we would have beaten the Eagles - and I'm sure the FO does, too, which is part of the problem. I'm not so sure. They Eagles match up very well against us. Keep in mind, this is a team that, with Purdy at QB, put up 19 against Dallas. I don't know tat we could have hung with Philly. They were running all over us. We did a pretty good job of containing Hurts, but they didn't need to really force things because they knew we couldn't score. They could burn the clock, grind it out, play it safe. And that's what they did.

This draft smacks of complacency. The FO thinks we have this amazing roster, and they're not entirely wrong, but we have some major issues in the upcoming years. Trent will likely retire in a year or two. We almost certainly can't keep both Aiyuk and Samuel. We only have one sure starting CB. McCaffrey is expensive and getting up there for a RB. We don't have any proven DEs other than Bosa. Armstead's contract gets absurd after this year, and he is a strong cut candidate. We don't have a true NT. There were so many places where we could have added quality depth.

And no, not all these guys would make the roster, but they never do. That's why you want as many swings with high value picks as you can possibly get. They have all of these comp picks, but they continue to make poor choices about how to spend them.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#60 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:59 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
arich35 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote: I think we would have beaten the Eagles

Then you package some of those picks and move UP from the fifth round.

You think we would have beaten the Eagles - and I'm sure the FO does, too, which is part of the problem. I'm not so sure. They Eagles match up very well against us. Keep in mind, this is a team that, with Purdy at QB, put up 19 against Dallas. I don't know tat we could have hung with Philly. They were running all over us. We did a pretty good job of containing Hurts, but they didn't need to really force things because they knew we couldn't score. They could burn the clock, grind it out, play it safe. And that's what they did.

This draft smacks of complacency. The FO thinks we have this amazing roster, and they're not entirely wrong, but we have some major issues in the upcoming years. Trent will likely retire in a year or two. We almost certainly can't keep both Aiyuk and Samuel. We only have one sure starting CB. McCaffrey is expensive and getting up there for a RB. We don't have any proven DEs other than Bosa. Armstead's contract gets absurd after this year, and he is a strong cut candidate. We don't have a true NT. There were so many places where we could have added quality depth.

And no, not all these guys would make the roster, but they never do. That's why you want as many swings with high value picks as you can possibly get. They have all of these comp picks, but they continue to make poor choices about how to spend them.

Well said

Return to San Francisco 49ers