ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 Season

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,742

Re: 2023 Season 

Post#41 » by CharityStripe34 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:38 am

Perhaps a bit of gamesmanship by coaches?
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#42 » by Jikkle » Sun Oct 1, 2023 9:33 am

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38532605/49ers-deebo-samuel-expected-play-vs-cardinals

Deebo is expected to play. Given the fact he was able to play through both the knee and rib injury neither one could be terribly serious.

I'd be tempted to rest him for Dallas with Aiyuk in but it's the NFL and you can't take anyone even bad teams lightly so if he's well enough to go I'd play him but maybe just limited snaps.

Gotta factor in that Jennings won't be playing so having both Deebo and Jennings out would really limit the WR corp.

I just can't believe Mitchell is injured again and will be questionable. Guy just can't stay healthy to save his life.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,584

Post#43 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Oct 1, 2023 12:55 pm

Jikkle wrote:https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38532605/49ers-deebo-samuel-expected-play-vs-cardinals

Deebo is expected to play. Given the fact he was able to play through both the knee and rib injury neither one could be terribly serious.

I'd be tempted to rest him for Dallas with Aiyuk in but it's the NFL and you can't take anyone even bad teams lightly so if he's well enough to go I'd play him but maybe just limited snaps.

Gotta factor in that Jennings won't be playing so having both Deebo and Jennings out would really limit the WR corp.

I just can't believe Mitchell is injured again and will be questionable. Guy just can't stay healthy to save his life.

Hopefully that means Mason and not CMC getting every snap. Maybe some creativity with Deebo, but with him dinged up I’d prefer more Mason. Or we could find out why TD-P has a roster spot?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#44 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Oct 5, 2023 12:23 am

Ilm Manning cut by the Cards and back the Niners' PS. Awesome. He was probably one of the two guys I was most disappointed we lost at roster cutdowns, along with D'Shawn Jamison. Maybe he'll come back our way.

OL has played better lately, but still not totally sold on Burford. And our interior OL depth, which I thought was really intriguing going into the offseason/preseason, suddenly looks shaky at best.

Pretty disappointed we cut Jack Coletto from the PS to make room for Jeremy McNichols, though. I was hoping Coletto would replace Juice next year. I love Juice, but he's too damn expensive if we can get similar production from another player.
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,318

Post#45 » by Catchall » Thu Oct 5, 2023 2:55 am

Not to jinx anything, but looking at the Niners' schedule they have a real shot to get to 14 wins.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#46 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Oct 5, 2023 7:28 am

Feels like this game means a lot more to the Cowboys than the Niners, dangerous dynamic. Big week for coaching/veteran leadership…if we give up any edge it could turn ugly against us real quick.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#47 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Oct 5, 2023 4:14 pm

Not Niner news, but the Pats do it again. Let a highly thought-of player depart for big money (JC Jackson), collect a comp pick (I believe a fourth rounder), then get that player back two years later for pennies on the dollar (swapping a 6th pick in 2025 for a 7th, and Chargers eating a big chunk of this year's salary).

Niners are probably the best team in the league of late on hitting on late picks. NE has been doing this sort of thing for well over a decade.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#48 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 6:44 pm

wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,321

Post#49 » by wco81 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:04 pm

49ers opponents so far are 6-10 combined.

Dallas will be the first good test.

Actually Rams are playing well on offense, could be 3-1 instead of 2-2.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#50 » by thesack12 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 6:18 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Feels like this game means a lot more to the Cowboys than the Niners, dangerous dynamic. Big week for coaching/veteran leadership…if we give up any edge it could turn ugly against us real quick.

I don't know about it meaning more to the Cowboys, but it should mean a helluva lot to both teams.

Obviously every NFL game is important, but this particular one is against one the biggest intra conference threats. Whomever holds the head2head tiebreaker among these two teams could very well be the deciding factor in who gets a 1st round playoff bye or who has home field advantage should they meet again in the playoffs.

In other words, its a big game.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#51 » by arich35 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 8:07 pm

Well we just traded for Randy Gregory, swapping 6th and 7th round picks with the Broncos. Has a pretty big contract and his stats don't jump out at you but he is talented and on this team with the other dline we have plus coaching he has a chance to flourish

Bosa-Hargrave-Armstead-Gregory

Read on Twitter

Worth the gamble if he comes in with the right mindset
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#52 » by thesack12 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 8:35 pm

For min contract value on the cap and minimal draft considerations, Gregory is absolutely worth a shot. He's not all that far removed from being a legitimate impact player.

Now 9ers gotta find some help @ CB and fortify the OL even if its just a depth piece.
wco81
RealGM

Post#53 » by wco81 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 9:28 pm

I thought Gregory was released by the Broncos.

Oh well, this state has dispensaries so he should be happy to come here, of the other places he could have gone to.

What does it say about the younger edge rushers on the team?
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#54 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 9:33 pm

wco81 wrote:I thought Gregory was released by the Broncos.

Oh well, this state has dispensaries so he should be happy to come here, of the other places he could have gone to.

The Broncos were planning to release him but 49ers jumped in
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#55 » by Samurai » Fri Oct 6, 2023 10:36 pm

Well the Niners released Kerry Hyder to make room for Gregory so obviously they feel Gregory can help the team more than Hyder. As for the other young edge rushers, I am guessing that the team will limit Gregory to obvious passing situations. There would still be plenty of other downs for other DE's to play and prove their value to the team. But it all comes down to performance - who does the best and gives the team the best chance of winning. Which is the way it should be - based on merit. I think there should be enough opportunities for everyone to get some reps; its up to them to take advantage of their downs and convince Kocurek and Wilks that they deserve more PT.
wco81
RealGM

Post#56 » by wco81 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 10:59 pm

He only has 19.5 sacks in his career.

Has 3 sacks in 10 games played in the last two seasons with Denver.

I know he had off-field problems which must have his career to only 48 games played since being drafted in 2015.

I thought he was more productive but something has kept him on NFL rosters all these years.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#57 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Oct 6, 2023 11:09 pm

Samurai wrote:

Well the Niners released Kerry Hyder to make room for Gregory so obviously they feel Gregory can help the team more than Hyder. As for the other young edge rushers, I am guessing that the team will limit Gregory to obvious passing situations. There would still be plenty of other downs for other DE's to play and prove their value to the team. But it all comes down to performance - who does the best and gives the team the best chance of winning. Which is the way it should be - based on merit. I think there should be enough opportunities for everyone to get some reps; its up to them to take advantage of their downs and convince Kocurek and Wilks that they deserve more PT.

Wouldn’t count on Gregory being on the team for long. Short leash probably doesn’t cover it. He’d better impress with effort or he’ll be gone in a flash.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#58 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Oct 6, 2023 11:31 pm

I think it's a great move. We barely gave up any draft capital, and are not guaranteeing him any money. As things stand right now, I think we will have a first, a second, three thirds (two comps), two fourths, and two fifths (both comps) in next year's draft. That's nine picks before the pick we just moved for Gregory. Not to mention that our sixth-round pick may only be like 10-20 picks ahead of Denver's seventh.

Gregory has had a rocky career, but he had a couple legit seasons for Dallas. Of course there are concerns, but if he can get his head on straight and commit for one season, it would go a long way toward addressing one of our bigger weaknesses on defense. And if not, we cut him and it's not a major loss. I can't see anyone going hard after Kerry Hyder. Got to assume we'll cut him after this season unless he plays out of his mind.

There has been talk about the Niners going after a guy like Brian Burns. That never made any sense to me. Burns would require a lot of draft capital, and we can't realistically extend him without losing other impact players. This move brings in a guy who can maybe bring a shadow of what Burns can at a fraction of the price. And if it pans out, it could pay dividends down the stretch.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#59 » by arich35 » Fri Oct 6, 2023 11:55 pm

If he can't get motivated on a team that has Super Bowl potential and a bunch of vets in a great locker room then his career is likely over. Hopefully the drive is there to try and win a ring and stay in the league for a few more seasons
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#60 » by Jikkle » Sat Oct 7, 2023 8:52 am

It's hard to find anything to not like about the move as the only real cost is a negligible amount of draft spots that is highly unlikely to cost us the opportunity to draft a player of any worth.

As long as he's not worse than Hyder you really don't lose with the move and the payoff can be tremendous.

The move doesn't prevent another bigger move like for CB or make it difficult for them to resign Aiyuk. Can you imagine how huge it would be if this move works out and they swing a move for a solid rental CB that could really take the defense to the next level.

Return to San Francisco 49ers