49ers @ Vikings, MNF

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Re: 49ers @ Vikings, MNF 

Post#461 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:27 am

thesack12 wrote:
Dodub wrote:We still need a damn QB after all these years. Damn I wished we had signed Cousins.

We settled for Jimmy and his clone.

Don't let recency bias get ahold of you. $40 mil/year Cousins is a loser.

Brock still played well enough to win. The defense was the reason we lost. They were terrible.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#462 » by Dodub » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:34 am

49er4life1979 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Dodub wrote:We still need a damn QB after all these years. Damn I wished we had signed Cousins.

We settled for Jimmy and his clone.

Brock still played well enough to win. The defense was the reason we lost. They were terrible.

They scored 22 points. Brock did NOT play well enough to win. He had the chance to win 2 drives in a row and threw picks.

I absolutely hate Nick Wrong, but he might just be right about Purdy. If he doesn’t have the Avengers surrounding him then he’s a JAG
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,247

Post#463 » by thesack12 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:43 am

9ers were giving up an average of 198 yards/per game coming into tonight.

They gave up 450+ yards to the Jefferson-less Vikings and their 3rd worst rushing attack.
TheMonarch
Sophomore
And1: 21

Post#464 » by TheMonarch » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:54 am

The Vikings punted one time. That is not good defense.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#465 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:29 am

Perv KNBR Shanahan on Wilks's aggressive blitz before half: Ah its something we will discuss throughout the week, but I wasn't happy with the result.
Translation: I tend to trust my DCs, but definitely need to have a sit down with Steve.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#466 » by arich35 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:38 am

Dodub wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

They scored 22 points. Brock did NOT play well enough to win. He had the chance to win 2 drives in a row and threw picks.

I absolutely hate Nick Wrong, but he might just be right about Purdy. If he doesn’t have the Avengers surrounding him then he’s a JAG

Before the last two drives, actually pretty much 2-4 throws he was playing really well. Truth is he hasn't been put in this position often (two other times he drove us down for a game winning FG) so I am hoping it is something he can learn from and now that he has been in this position more that he will succeed the next time.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#467 » by Samurai » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:39 am

49er4life1979 wrote:Perv KNBR Shanahan on Wilks's aggressive blitz before half: Ah its something we will discuss throughout the week, but I wasn't happy with the result.
Translation: I tend to trust my DCs, but definitely need to have a sit down with Steve.

I mean, no one rooting for the Niners would be happy with the result. If Ward had intercepted the ball or if the blitz had resulted in a sack, then he would say he was very happy with the result (and presumably the call).
arich35
General Manager

Post#468 » by arich35 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:05 am

If CMC doesn't fumble and the defense stops the Vikings at all in the first 3 quarters we probably win this game rather easily
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#469 » by Jikkle » Tue Oct 24, 2023 7:17 am

It's frustrating because after the first 5 weeks, I thought this team finally had that focus and killer edge that it's lacked under Shanahan but Groundhog Day again this season and we're still doing the same crap.

As far as Purdy goes it doesn't matter if the defense was hot garbage or how he played earlier. He had 2 drives at the end that could've won the game and there was an INT on both of them. You simply can't be considered an elite franchise QB and do that. Now I give him credit for last week as he did get the team in position to kick what should've been a game-winning FG but so far he has yet to really proven himself to me and right now he's still just better Jimmy G right now. Doesn't mean I'm not being fair and I still tend to believe he can be Drew Brees 2.0 but right now he just hasn't shown me anything to give me confidence he can go toe to toe with the top teams in the league.

This team will bounce back and probably go on a nice run at the end of the season but my confidence was shaky before these 2 losses but I just can't see this team beating the Eagles unless the Eagles play like crap. I was never on board with the notion we would've beat the Eagles if Purdy doesn't get hurt and even if that was true I don't think they beat the Chiefs in the SB anyways and nothing has changed my mind on that this season either.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#470 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:59 pm

Also, where TF was Jordan Mason last night? He should be primary backup to CMC. Dude is averaging 6.0 ypc in his career. This team, especially the defense better figure it out fast. Schedule about to get tough.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#471 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:25 pm

Perhaps it is a team of front-runners after all. Two straight weeks of bone-headed mistakes and looking a half-step slow. Especially the defense. Bye week can't come soon enough.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#472 » by zman1 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:27 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:Also, where TF was Jordan Mason last night? He should be primary backup to CMC. Dude is averaging 6.0 ypc in his career. This team, especially the defense better figure it out fast. Schedule about to get tough.
I saw Mitchell get one carry and that was all.

This loss goes more on the defense than anything, especially the pass rush. Vikings should have scored way more than they did. Without a pass rush our secondary is very exposed. And the heavy blitz at the end of the first half was inexcusable. What was he thinking?

I would like to see a breakdown on those interceptions. The first one it looked like Jennings got bumped off his route messing up the timing. Also, our offense did not get as much YAC as usual. We had that one great drive with explosive plays and not much else.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
arich35
General Manager

Post#473 » by arich35 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:30 pm

zman1 wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Also, where TF was Jordan Mason last night? He should be primary backup to CMC. Dude is averaging 6.0 ypc in his career. This team, especially the defense better figure it out fast. Schedule about to get tough.
I saw Mitchell get one carry and that was all.

This loss goes more on the defense than anything, especially the pass rush. Vikings should have scored way more than they did. Without a pass rush our secondary is very exposed. And the heavy blitz at the end of the first half was inexcusable. What was he thinking?

I would like to see a breakdown on those interceptions. The first one it looked like Jennings got bumped off his route messing up the timing. Also, our offense did not get as much YAC as usual. We had that one great drive with explosive plays and not much else.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

I also notice he did a break outside before going back in, I wonder if that was part of the route or not
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#474 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:06 pm

Samurai wrote:
49er4life1979 wrote:Perv KNBR Shanahan on Wilks's aggressive blitz before half: Ah its something we will discuss throughout the week, but I wasn't happy with the result.

I mean, no one rooting for the Niners would be happy with the result. If Ward had intercepted the ball or if the blitz had resulted in a sack, then he would say he was very happy with the result (and presumably the call).

But that's just it. Let's say Ward picked it off. We have what, five seconds and just kneel it out. What if we got home on the blitz? We get a sack and the clock runs out. Unless we get a strip-sack and recover it, we're not scoring. So what is the benefit that weighs against the risk that we blow the coverage and give up a TD? It wasn't there for this play. It was a risky call in which a success would have been the exact same result as playing prevent and just keeping them in bounds. And it very arguably cost us this game (along with lots of other idiocy).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#475 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:08 pm

CharityStripe34 wrote:Perhaps it is a team of front-runners after all. Two straight weeks of bone-headed mistakes and looking a half-step slow. Especially the defense. Bye week can't come soon enough.

Yeah, that's a pattern for Shanahan's Niner teams. We just usually see it earlier this year. Instead we started hot and are falling into the mishaps now. They've shown in the past they can rebound. Time to show they can do it again.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#476 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Oct 24, 2023 5:39 pm

So, with the benefit of a night of sleep, my general thoughts on the game.

First and foremost, really disappointing loss. I thought last week was going to be our wakeup call, but it wasn't. We looked sloppy across the board yet again, with all three phases contributing to an awful performance.

This week I'll start with the defense. Completely unacceptable showing. I try to start with the positive, so let's do that. Yes, they did a nice job of twice holding the Vikings to FGs from first and goal inside the three. That is literally the only good thing I can say about them. I guess the LBs generally played well except that we kept putting Greenlaw on Hockenson or a WR. I blame the coaches for that. Even an athletic LB like Greenlaw can't hang with good TEs and even mediocre WRs.

The DL was nonexistent. I was defending Bosa earlier in the year, because I felt that he was still getting pressure even though the sacks weren't there. Hard to do that after this game. I didn't see him facing a lot of double teams. He couldn't disengage from the RT. He seemed to lack power, wasn't really even trying counter moves, definitely not explosive coming off the ball. Interior DL didn't do much better. We barely laid a hand on Cousins all night.

Coverage also seemed soft. We repeatedly gave them huge cushions to easily snag balls for first downs. A couple times they had nice plays on the ball, but their guys were running open all night. Kind of beaten the blitz at the end of the half to death, but truly one of the great bone-headed plays that I can recall seeing out of a defense. So epically stupid. And Ward has to know that he either needs to pick it or make the tackle. Either result is acceptable there. They almost certainly didn't have time to get down and kill the clock. Going for the pick, not securing it, and falling down was just catastrophic.

The offense was so frustrating. They moved the ball well in the first half, but couldn't score. McCaffrey needs to hold onto the ball better. Period. I know he has a lot of carries, but three fumbles is unacceptable. And we need to get him off the damn field from time to time. He's getting too many touches. An underrated part of our issues the past two weeks is the lack of a run game. We averaged 3.0 YPC last night. Take away Purdy's scrambles and that number falls to 2.7 YPC. That's pathetic. The week before was somewhat better at 4.3 YPC, though without McCloud's two jet sweeps we fall to 3.7.

Purdy started the game well, finding the holes and making accurate throws in rhythm to open guys, just like we'd seen most of the year. The only real knock on him through the first three quarters was the bone-headed throw-away - though the fumble call there was exceedingly odd. It was clearly down by contact or an incomplete pass (and probably grounding). Then the fourth quarter happened. I don't have a defense for it. I guess I can kind of understand the first INT because it was an anticipation throw, but Jennings got hung up. The second INT was just inexcusable. He panicked, threw back across the field into the teeth of the D to a 5'9" receiver. It can't happen. I'm sure I'll post more about this in the Purdy thread.

The OL seemed to struggle again, with both blitzes and four-man pressure (hell, even with three-man pressure). With Trent in the lineup, our OL is about average. Without him, they're probably toward the bottom of the league, and it showed. As said above, they should have mixed things up with different RBs. I don't absolutely hate giving Mitchell a shot, and I don't really blame him for the loss of yardage on his one carry given the shoddy blocking, but CMC can't take every carry. Especially when he's dealing with an injury.

Another missed 40-yard FG is just a kick in the teeth. Especially in a tight game like this. At least he came back and hit the 50+ yarder. Kid needs to get his confidence back and make easy kicks. This is a big part of why it's not a great idea to draft a kicker early. They tend to struggle. It's now arguably cost us two games. At least Wishnowsky is killing it this year.

Overall, two bad games in a row falls on the coaches in my view. Our D was laughable in this one, and our offense just looked a little out of sorts again. Even without Deebo, our collection of skill players is among the best in the league. There's no excuse for generating 17 points against a shaky defense. We're still in great shape to make the playoffs, but if we want to win the division, much less be in the mix for a bye, we need to get it buttoned up now. It's hard to imagine us beating Cincinnati this week given how we have looked, and it feels like Baltimore will just destroy us. Can't see us beating the Eagles team we just saw. And two games against the Seahawks won't be gimmes. This could get ugly fast. Have to stop the bleeding, as we should have done last night.
arich35
General Manager

Post#477 » by arich35 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:53 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
CharityStripe34 wrote:Perhaps it is a team of front-runners after all. Two straight weeks of bone-headed mistakes and looking a half-step slow. Especially the defense. Bye week can't come soon enough.

Yeah, that's a pattern for Shanahan's Niner teams. We just usually see it earlier this year. Instead we started hot and are falling into the mishaps now. They've shown in the past they can rebound. Time to show they can do it again.

Last year we lost Weeks 6 & 7 just like this year. 2021 we lost 4 in a row (4th being Week 7). This has been typical

CMC fumble and Moody missed FG took off probably 10 points from this game, looks a lot different if that didn't happen.

Purdy has to take this and learn from it, get better in these situations and hopefully not **** up again. If he does that confidence is going to be hard to get back
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#478 » by 49er4life1979 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:59 pm

Frustrating game indeed especially the horrible defensive performance. Why there is very little pass rush is beyond me. The defense is built on the pass rush. But in the famous words of Bill Belichick, we're on to Cincinnati.

Return to San Francisco 49ers