ImageImageImageImageImage

2023 Season

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Re: 2023 Season 

Post#481 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:28 am

49er4life1979 wrote:We will be playing Green Bay. Gotta stop Aaron Jones.

Historically Jones has never really given us much trouble. It was always Adams that typically was the one that burned us. Overall the Shanahan vs LaFleur matchups have gone mostly in Shanahan's favor.

You obviously can't sleep on the Packers or any team in the playoffs but the 9ers still have no excuse for not beating them.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,381

Post#482 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:29 am

49ers have had good success in the playoffs vs. the Packers in recent years.

But they may be peaking at the right time. They have Jones and Dillon and their young WRs have been making plays. 49ers have taken a step or two back in pass defense compared to last season.

Offense is going to have to put up at least 30.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#483 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:37 am

Well the game is definitely going to be Saturday now
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#484 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:21 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:Well the game is definitely going to be Saturday now

Good. If we were to win it gives us an extra rest day
Catchall
RealGM
And1: 10,347

Post#485 » by Catchall » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:21 am

Dallas' defense, especially their pass coverage, was unbelievably bad today. It's hard to tell if Green Bay is really that impressive, or if Dallas just had a bad day.
He/Him, Dude, Bro, Bruh
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#486 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:01 am

Rams about to lose so we don't need to worry about playing them either.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,381

Post#487 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:19 am

49er4life1979 wrote:Rams about to lose so we don't need to worry about playing them either.

Yeah they would be a tough match up but so would Detroit.

Rams were beat up though.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#488 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:19 am

Saturday at 5pm
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#489 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:22 am

49er4life1979 wrote:Rams about to lose so we don't need to worry about playing them either.
Agreed, Rams were a better team
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#490 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:25 am

wco81 wrote:

Yeah they would be a tough match up but so would Detroit.

Rams were beat up though.

I would rather still play Detroit. Jared Goff isn't nearly the same player outside of a dome and especially on grass in the elements.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#491 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:57 am

wco81 wrote:49ers have had good success in the playoffs vs. the Packers in recent years.

But they may be peaking at the right time. They have Jones and Dillon and their young WRs have been making plays. 49ers have taken a step or two back in pass defense compared to last season.

Offense is going to have to put up at least 30.

Statically the pass defense has been better this season vs last season.

I think the only thing we were better in 2022 was pass completion which was 65.6 percent vs 2023's 66.0 percent

Also TDs allowed were tied at 20.

But the pass D in 2023 has given up less yards, has more INTs, more sacks, given up less yds/game, lower average completion yardage, and this is all with seeing about 30 more attempts compared to last season.

I think it doesn't feel like the Pass D has been better because we've seen so many attempts with only the Ravens and Eagles seeing more and 66 percent is still a high completion rate so it feels like the pass D is getting carved up.

This season the Pass D was 5th in Yards Per Attempt and 4th in QB rating at 79.6 which are the better stats to ballpark where a Pass D stands than say yardage and yards a game which are going to be skewed because the amount of attempts we see.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#492 » by zman1 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:24 pm

Wow, we are 10 point favorites. I figured after they demolished the boys that we would be 3.5 favorites. Oh, the misery of being a cowboys fan.

We need our pass rush to deliver. Zero sacks for big D. It's a good sign that Dallas got 32 points even after 2 turnovers. If we get 32 we ought to win.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#493 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:35 pm

zman1 wrote:Wow, we are 10 point favorites. I figured after they demolished the boys that we would be 3.5 favorites. Oh, the misery of being a cowboys fan.

We need our pass rush to deliver. Zero sacks for big D. It's a good sign that Dallas got 32 points even after 2 turnovers. If we get 32 we ought to win.

I agree. The D needs to be solid this game. Always starts with stopping the run.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM

Post#494 » by RIPskaterdude » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:52 pm

zman1 wrote:Wow, we are 10 point favorites. I figured after they demolished the boys that we would be 3.5 favorites. Oh, the misery of being a cowboys fan.

3.5 favorites as the #1 seed at home vs the #7? I was guessing +7
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect

Post#495 » by 49er4life1979 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 4:20 am

Philly is about to go bye bye. Tampa just dominated them flat out. So that's now all 3 teams along with Dallas and the Rams that some of us said may pose the biggest threat to us. Honestly the only team I didn't want to see is the Rams. Philly has been on a downward spiral ever since losing to us and its only gotten worse. Dallas proved yet again yesterday that they cannot be trusted. But, enough of that. I will say that I am a little nervous playing Green Bay because we don't know them that well and they are peaking at the right time. I still expect Niners to take care of business as they are without a doubt the more talented team, but just the whole one and done thing. Someone at work mentioned to me today that maybe Green Bay isn't as great as they looked yesterday, maybe Dallas is just that much overrated. GB is certainly talented I will say.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#496 » by Jikkle » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:21 am

49er4life1979 wrote:Philly is about to go bye bye. Tampa just dominated them flat out. So that's now all 3 teams along with Dallas and the Rams that some of us said may pose the biggest threat to us. Honestly the only team I didn't want to see is the Rams. Philly has been on a downward spiral ever since losing to us and its only gotten worse. Dallas proved yet again yesterday that they cannot be trusted. But, enough of that. I will say that I am a little nervous playing Green Bay because we don't know them that well and they are peaking at the right time. I still expect Niners to take care of business as they are without a doubt the more talented team, but just the whole one and done thing. Someone at work mentioned to me today that maybe Green Bay isn't as great as they looked yesterday, maybe Dallas is just that much overrated. GB is certainly talented I will say.

Every team in the playoffs is a good team and a good team is fully capable of beating any other team in the playoffs.

However when it comes to the Texans, Packers, and Buccaneers they deserve and earned their wins but how they won is more about their respective opponents' meltdowns.

I'd just be more concerned about the Packers if we weren't coming off a bye. But this is about as rested and healthy as a 9er team has been in the playoffs and I expect them to be prepared and come out with a lot of energy, especially on defense.

I feel what usually gives us the edge in these matchups against the Packers is LaFleur runs basically the Shanahan offense and it's an offense that this veteran defense that we have has seen a trillion during the offseason already because most of these guys have a few years of being on this defense under it's belt.

I also can't help feel that the Packers played all their cards against the Cowboys knowing they had nothing to lose by doing so. Their whole defense showing they are doing one thing and shifting to another is something that you can use once to great effect to catch a team off-guard. But now that it's on film the 9ers won't be caught off-guard by it and Purdy at the very least is a hard man to trick with that kind of stuff. Doesn't mean he can't be fooled but he's usually really good at shrugging most things off a defense throws at him in an attempt to confuse him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#497 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:34 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:Philly is about to go bye bye. Tampa just dominated them flat out. So that's now all 3 teams along with Dallas and the Rams that some of us said may pose the biggest threat to us. Honestly the only team I didn't want to see is the Rams. Philly has been on a downward spiral ever since losing to us and its only gotten worse. Dallas proved yet again yesterday that they cannot be trusted. But, enough of that. I will say that I am a little nervous playing Green Bay because we don't know them that well and they are peaking at the right time. I still expect Niners to take care of business as they are without a doubt the more talented team, but just the whole one and done thing. Someone at work mentioned to me today that maybe Green Bay isn't as great as they looked yesterday, maybe Dallas is just that much overrated. GB is certainly talented I will say.

Yeah, kind of surreal that the remaining opponents are Detroit, Tampa Bay, and Green Bay. Speaking for myself, the reason I was more concerned about Dallas is because Dallas is the only team - other than the Eagles, who have been in freefall for half the season - that can match our on-field talent. I was worried about the Rams because they are a division opponent who has been playing well and have a really balanced offense that includes a strong run game. I have some similar concerns about Detroit, but they are just so much worse on the road that it's hard to see them knocking the Niners off at Levi's.

Green Bay can't come close to matching our talent, but ultimately that doesn't decide games. We have to go out and prove it. They are a young, upstart team with nothing to lose. A bit like the Niners in 2011 or 2019. And like those teams, if we can't stop their run game, they can definitely beat us. Especially if it's a weather game.

Getting Armstead back should help a lot. One of the real benefits of the time off is that it hopefully gave Joseph-Day more time to settle into his role, and I think we could see him taking some snaps away from Kinlaw. He's a pretty solid run-stopper. And the return of Oren Burks was pretty under-the-radar, but I think it has a big impact on our run defense. That said, we'll be without Ferrell, who is good at setting the edge. That could hurt us in both facets of the game, as Young will get more run plays, and likely either be somewhat less effective at rushing the passer due to snap count, or may be rotated out in favor of Gregory or Beal.

I think this team is experienced enough to come out playing angry, and that's what we need to do. We have to set the tone, and not let them set it as they did with the Cowboys. I'm expecting a physical game, which will hopefully play to our strengths. I used to have concerns about Shanahan coming out of a bye, but he seems to have tightened that up. Over the past two years, we've won 3 of 4 games coming off rest (counting the season opener), and the one loss was the Lance slop game in Chicago to start last season.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 968

Post#498 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:19 pm

Apparently Jason Kelce has told teammates he's retiring. We'll see if it sticks, but it would make sense. He's getting up there and was considering it last year. That's another blow to the stability of the Eagles. They drafted his replacement two years ago in Cam Jurgens, so I don't see a huge drop-off (though I think Jurgens ended up starting a bunch of games last year at guard), but Kelce is the stabilizing force for that offense.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#499 » by zman1 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:58 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:

Yeah, kind of surreal that the remaining opponents are Detroit, Tampa Bay, and Green Bay. Speaking for myself, the reason I was more concerned about Dallas is because Dallas is the only team - other than the Eagles, who have been in freefall for half the season - that can match our on-field talent. I was worried about the Rams because they are a division opponent who has been playing well and have a really balanced offense that includes a strong run game. I have some similar concerns about Detroit, but they are just so much worse on the road that it's hard to see them knocking the Niners off at Levi's.

Green Bay can't come close to matching our talent, but ultimately that doesn't decide games. We have to go out and prove it. They are a young, upstart team with nothing to lose. A bit like the Niners in 2011 or 2019. And like those teams, if we can't stop their run game, they can definitely beat us. Especially if it's a weather game.

Getting Armstead back should help a lot. One of the real benefits of the time off is that it hopefully gave Joseph-Day more time to settle into his role, and I think we could see him taking some snaps away from Kinlaw. He's a pretty solid run-stopper. And the return of Oren Burks was pretty under-the-radar, but I think it has a big impact on our run defense. That said, we'll be without Ferrell, who is good at setting the edge. That could hurt us in both facets of the game, as Young will get more run plays, and likely either be somewhat less effective at rushing the passer due to snap count, or may be rotated out in favor of Gregory or Beal.

I think this team is experienced enough to come out playing angry, and that's what we need to do. We have to set the tone, and not let them set it as they did with the Cowboys. I'm expecting a physical game, which will hopefully play to our strengths. I used to have concerns about Shanahan coming out of a bye, but he seems to have tightened that up. Over the past two years, we've won 3 of 4 games coming off rest (counting the season opener), and the one loss was the Lance slop game in Chicago to start last season.
Yeah, we ought to come out fired up. This is clearly our year to get it done and we can't let anyone take it from us. Kyle as much as anyone should be fired up. He has had his chances and missed every one but we have never been in a better position. Last year I didn't really think we could beat the eagles but we should really not have a lot of trouble getting through these teams to the super bowl.

Eagles imploded like nothing I have ever seen. Losing both the OC and DC may have been critical.

CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,743

Post#500 » by CharityStripe34 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 9:02 pm

As long as the team comes out hungry, they'll be fresh as a daisy with a ton of energy. They should be replaying what happened to end the season last year on a loop.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS

Return to San Francisco 49ers