ImageImageImageImageImage

2022 Season Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Re: 2022 Season Thread 

Post#541 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:55 am

I didn't realize the Eagles were that bad against the run. They've generally held teams to relatively low averages. I'm not sure the D can hold down this offense, so if our run game is going to be a factor, it has to be a factor early on. We can't have the slow start we did on offense last week and expect to stay in this one. This is a much more explosive offense than the Cowboys.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#542 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 26, 2023 4:57 am

Also worth noting that Jordan Davis missed over half the season, including the last several games of the season, but returned last week. He's looking like a difference-maker in the run game.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#543 » by Samurai » Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:35 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Also worth noting that Jordan Davis missed over half the season, including the last several games of the season, but returned last week. He's looking like a difference-maker in the run game.

While many point out their poor run defense by highlighting their stats, most of those big running games by opponents took place wile Davis was hurt. They are much better against the run when he is healthy. I don't see us opening huge holes in the middle of their line; our running game will need to be augmented with a few big plays on unexpected things like an unplanned Purdy scramble or a jet sweep for McCloud or Gray (something the Eagles likely won't focus on). I think the Eagles will expect heavy doses of CMC and Mitchell and will load the box to stop them, daring Purdy to throw. Their pass rush is their big defensive strength and they won't/don't believe an unproven rookie can stand up to the best pass rush in football.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#544 » by arich35 » Thu Jan 26, 2023 11:47 pm

CMC and Mitchell missing practice all weak is a bit concerning. I know Kyle said they are expected to play but injuries with your calf and groin aren't ideal and can flare up easily in game
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#545 » by zman1 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:06 am

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:I was just looking over some of the Eagles' numbers. Their pass D has been really good this year. First in YPA (5.5), total yards (3057, despite teams having to play catchup regularly), first in sacks by a country mile (70), tied for fourth in INTs. The good news is that they've been somewhat vulnerable to RBs in the passing game (Pollard and the Packers' RBs did well against them), and although they haven't faced many good TEs this year, they've arguably struggled there when facing somewhat more talented players, too. We will need McCaffrey and Kittle to really get going in this one.

To piggyback on this a bit, I came across these relevant nuggets:

Read on Twitter

Seems like 9ers could make some hay utilizing Jennings and perhaps even McCloud, and of course CMC's elite receiving prowess plays favorably into this

Read on Twitter

You can get some traction in the running game against the Eagles. That said, Niners have got to get the ground game on track early. They have struggled to establish a decent running attack in the 1st half of games far too frequently this season, including both playoffs games.

Read on Twitter

Something most definitely sticks out here, 9ers need to try and exploit that left side.
It would be good to see Rae Rae get more touches. He has big play ability with more speed than our other stars.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#546 » by wco81 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:12 am

Speaking of rankings, the 49ers are like 29th or 30th in the league on passes over 25 yards.

This is ultimately going to be their Achilles Heel on defense.

On offense, KC and Philly have strong pass rushes and the 49ers OL, especially in pass protection, is an area of concern.
arich35
General Manager

Post#547 » by arich35 » Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:01 pm

I have a feeling Mitchell will be out on Sunday which sucks but I think Mason will step up
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,247

Post#548 » by thesack12 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:28 am

arich35 wrote:I have a feeling Mitchell will be out on Sunday which sucks but I think Mason will step up

Most places are listing Eli as DNP today, but apparently Mitchell was on the practice field for a bit prior to it being opened up to the media.

You could look at that two ways. One, it could viewed as a good sign that he suited up and did get on the field. Or two, it could be viewed that he came off the field early due to not feeling right or not being able to put stress on the groin yet.

For now, we can have some degree of optimism considering he drew a questionable tag as opposed to doubtful. But yeah, he's looking iffy for Sunday.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#549 » by RIPskaterdude » Sat Jan 28, 2023 2:36 am

Mitchell just can't stay healthy
arich35
General Manager

Post#550 » by arich35 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:24 am

RIPskaterdude wrote:Mitchell just can't stay healthy

And it seems every time he gets hurt you can't tell when it happens in game.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#551 » by zman1 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:59 pm

arich35 wrote:I have a feeling Mitchell will be out on Sunday which sucks but I think Mason will step up
I think I would rather have a healthy Mason than a banged up Mitchell.

zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#552 » by zman1 » Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:03 pm

Looks to be our toughest match up yet. Their line play should give them the edge. I think we need a lucky bounce or two to pull this off.

That said, I rewatched the eagles giants first quarter plus and they didn't look THAT dominant. There's hope.

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#553 » by Jikkle » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:49 am

Seems like everytime we go up against a defense that is supposed to be not great against the run we always run the ball poorly.

I do believe we're capable of winning the game but I'm just mentally prepared for a loss. Just feels like the last time the team was sharp on both sides of the ball for 4 quarters was against the Bucs and that was back in early December.

I just think the entire team is going to need to be sharp the whole game to win this one and I just haven't seen anything lately from them to suggest we're going to play sharp the entire game.

I honestly hope though this team serves me up a giant plate of crow and I'd happily choke down every last bit of it.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#554 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:42 pm

arich35 wrote:
RIPskaterdude wrote:Mitchell just can't stay healthy

And it seems every time he gets hurt you can't tell when it happens in game.

So true.

Seems like every time he gets hurt, we don't see him slow to get up on a play or stay down on the field and have to be helped off. It just gets reported after the game that he suffered some sort of lower body injury.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#555 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:46 pm

Jikkle wrote:Seems like everytime we go up against a defense that is supposed to be not great against the run we always run the ball poorly.

I do believe we're capable of winning the game but I'm just mentally prepared for a loss. Just feels like the last time the team was sharp on both sides of the ball for 4 quarters was against the Bucs and that was back in early December.

I just think the entire team is going to need to be sharp the whole game to win this one and I just haven't seen anything lately from them to suggest we're going to play sharp the entire game.

I honestly hope though this team serves me up a giant plate of crow and I'd happily choke down every last bit of it.

Regarding the underlined part, it really does. Also seems to have a similar effect when a team is down to its 2nd or 3rd string O-lineman and we think the defense should be able to attack that, but it doesn't seem to materialize that way...

Yeah, to punch a ticket to the Super Bowl today its going to take a complete effort from all 3 phases. The + halftime adjustments, and 2nd half surges are great, but this Philly team is too good to beat with only one good half of football.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#556 » by thesack12 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:48 pm

I have avoided talking about it until now, because it didn't matter until the 9ers season ended.

The QB competition going into next season is going to be really interesting. Lance sure seems to have more raw talent and the higher ceiling, but he's still so incredibly raw. Purdy showed he can command the offense at a pretty high level, and play winning football.

Honestly, Purdy has shown a lot of what we would have been thrilled to see from Lance. Not so much skill set or playing style wise, but overall production/effectiveness and team trajectory wise.

Purdy sure seems to enter the offseason as the favorite to enter the season as QB1, but before any of that we'll need to see how extensive his elbow injury is. Any injury to a QB's throwing arm is always concerning.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#557 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:54 am

Read on Twitter

Yikes.

Requiring Tommy John surgery isn't as ominous or debilitating as it was like 10 years ago, but its still quite serious.

For athletes it usually requires at least a calendar year of rehab. Some guys never can get back to their previous form.

Damn, that would be an absolutely brutal development. One that would allow the Brady rumors to intensify, and possibly even allow Garoppolo to re-enter the discussion.
arich35
General Manager

Post#558 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:03 am

Going to be even more bummed for Purdy if he has to have Tommy John which would pretty much end his 2023 season.

I would really hate if Brady was our QB, after everything this team has done to grow their talent internally for the most part bringing in a 46 year old QB would be very disappointing.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#559 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:09 am

arich35 wrote:Going to be even more bummed for Purdy if he has to have Tommy John which would pretty much end his 2023 season.

I would really hate if Brady was our QB, after everything this team has done to grow their talent internally for the most part bringing in a 46 year old QB would be very disappointing.

For sure, would be brutal for both Brock and the team.

I also agree on Brady, I'm not really keen on bringing him in. But the rumors have been out there for awhile now, and if he wants to continue playing you gotta think he will be angling to sign with the hometown team he grew up being a fan of.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#560 » by wco81 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:18 am

Problem with that is Brady can't deal with pressure and the 49ers have poor pass protection.

He would love Kittle going down the middle but a lot of times, Kittle has to stay in to pass protect.

49ers WRs also don't have the speed to run the 9 route, which Brady hits on.

Return to San Francisco 49ers