Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Re: The Brock Purdy Thread 

Post#61 » by Big J » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:20 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
There was time to show growth during all the work done during the off-season mini and training camps. The gave him the keys to the car and he couldn't get it done. The coaching staff saw it.

He wasn't given the keys to the car. Purdy was anointed QB1 and thew a ton of picks in camp and was never once demoted.

In Lance's second season, Garoppolo didn't play in the offseason. Nate Sudfeld was the backup QB. If that isn't being given the keys, I don't know what is. He struggled in his first game, though I thought there were some bright spots (I have done an exhaustive review of that game in another thread, possibly the Trey Lance thread). And he was injured early in his second.

But as others have said, his experience wasn't limited to that. He had an entire offseason and preseason as the guy. And all reports are that he wasn't very good. Now, look, we have some reason to believe that the finger affected his throwing, but that was an opportunity to develop in other areas, even if his mechanics were problematic. When he got back in the mix, he didn't show any signs of growth beyond improved mechanics.

As for Purdy being anointed, that's laughable in comparison to Lance, who was literally handed the job in year two. Purdy got an opportunity, and look what he's done with it. Came in early against a hot playoff-contender when Garoppolo went down and balled out. Went undefeated in games he started and finished. The team has scored 30+ points in every regular season game he's played except the one he played in obvious pain with broken ribs - and which we still won by two scores. He is setting records for his efficiency. There is absolutely no question that he earned the starting spot this year. Some INTs in practice, when he hasn't shown a tendency to do that in real games (while Trey very much did), are all but meaningless.

And look, maybe Trey could have forced the issue with excellent play in the offseason and preseason. Instead, we got really bad play the first time he saw live action. Why should we hand the job to Trey - who can throw it 60 yards downfield, but isn't very likely to put it close to his receiver - instead of Purdy, who is absolutely lethal from behind the LOS to 30 yards downfield?

And yet again, I was pulling hard for Lance this offseason. I was actually almost pleased that Purdy was hurt and he would get some chances. But he didn't do enough. Maybe some day he will, but that's not this team's timetable. And no one with a brain in their head thinks there is any comparison between Purdy and Lance right now. So get over it already.

You are right, Purdy is better.. right now. And he's been great in the regular season. When you get to the conference championship and the super bowl you have to beat the top tier QBs like Hurts, Mahomes, Brady, ect. Purdy's limitations will show up just like Jimmy G's did when he's matched up against those guys.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#62 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 14, 2023 8:44 pm

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:
He wasn't given the keys to the car. Purdy was anointed QB1 and thew a ton of picks in camp and was never once demoted.

In Lance's second season, Garoppolo didn't play in the offseason. Nate Sudfeld was the backup QB. If that isn't being given the keys, I don't know what is. He struggled in his first game, though I thought there were some bright spots (I have done an exhaustive review of that game in another thread, possibly the Trey Lance thread). And he was injured early in his second.

But as others have said, his experience wasn't limited to that. He had an entire offseason and preseason as the guy. And all reports are that he wasn't very good. Now, look, we have some reason to believe that the finger affected his throwing, but that was an opportunity to develop in other areas, even if his mechanics were problematic. When he got back in the mix, he didn't show any signs of growth beyond improved mechanics.

As for Purdy being anointed, that's laughable in comparison to Lance, who was literally handed the job in year two. Purdy got an opportunity, and look what he's done with it. Came in early against a hot playoff-contender when Garoppolo went down and balled out. Went undefeated in games he started and finished. The team has scored 30+ points in every regular season game he's played except the one he played in obvious pain with broken ribs - and which we still won by two scores. He is setting records for his efficiency. There is absolutely no question that he earned the starting spot this year. Some INTs in practice, when he hasn't shown a tendency to do that in real games (while Trey very much did), are all but meaningless.

And look, maybe Trey could have forced the issue with excellent play in the offseason and preseason. Instead, we got really bad play the first time he saw live action. Why should we hand the job to Trey - who can throw it 60 yards downfield, but isn't very likely to put it close to his receiver - instead of Purdy, who is absolutely lethal from behind the LOS to 30 yards downfield?

And yet again, I was pulling hard for Lance this offseason. I was actually almost pleased that Purdy was hurt and he would get some chances. But he didn't do enough. Maybe some day he will, but that's not this team's timetable. And no one with a brain in their head thinks there is any comparison between Purdy and Lance right now. So get over it already.

You are right, Purdy is better.. right now. And he's been great in the regular season. When you get to the conference championship and the super bowl you have to beat the top tier QBs like Hurts, Mahomes, Brady, ect. Purdy's limitations will show up just like Jimmy G's did when he's matched up against those guys.

Maybe. But I feel a hell of a lot better about getting to that point with Purdy than I do with Lance. This team was one or two Garoppolo completions away from beating Mahomes in 2019. Purdy is better than Garoppolo, and the D may very well be better, too. Purdy has two years to show that he deserves a big contract. And we should keep trying to find the next Purdy in the draft.
Big J
General Manager

Post#63 » by Big J » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:03 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Maybe. But I feel a hell of a lot better about getting to that point with Purdy than I do with Lance. This team was one or two Garoppolo completions away from beating Mahomes in 2019. Purdy is better than Garoppolo, and the D may very well be better, too. Purdy has two years to show that he deserves a big contract. And we should keep trying to find the next Purdy in the draft.

Purdy has only played 8 games. We don’t even know what he is at this point. Sure he can win regular season games with a stacked roster, but saying he’s better than Jimmy is getting ahead of your ski’s. Jimmy won a hell of a lot of regular season games and made a SB & a conference championship without McCaffrey by his side.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#64 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:10 pm

He's been better than Jimmy to date. Besides, I thought W-L record didn't matter and everything came down to raw skills. Purdy is clearly more athletic than Jimmy, and arm strength may be comparable.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#65 » by arich35 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 9:51 pm

At this point I am starting to believe Big J is a Seahawks troll.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,601

Post#66 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Sep 14, 2023 10:08 pm

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:

Purdy has only played 8 games. We don’t even know what he is at this point. Sure he can win regular season games with a stacked roster, but saying he’s better than Jimmy is getting ahead of your ski’s. Jimmy won a hell of a lot of regular season games and made a SB & a conference championship without McCaffrey by his side.

So, CMC might be a good point, actually. But follow that point…if we were close with Jimmy and CMC makes us that much better, and Brock is (for argument’s sake) a younger more mobile MUCH CHEAPER Jimmy…?

I don’t see the problem.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Big J
General Manager

Post#67 » by Big J » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:12 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

So, CMC might be a good point, actually. But follow that point…if we were close with Jimmy and CMC makes us that much better, and Brock is (for argument’s sake) a younger more mobile MUCH CHEAPER Jimmy…?

I don’t see the problem.

Yea, but then you're relying on CMC staying healthy, which he has had issues doing throughout his career. If he gets hurt Purdy isn't going to look like a conquering hero because defenses will actually start to key in on him.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:16 pm

Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:

I don’t see the problem.

Yea, but then you're relying on CMC staying healthy, which he has had issues doing throughout his career. If he gets hurt Purdy isn't going to look like a conquering hero because defenses will actually start to key in on him.

Any time a team’s top 3 player gets hurt, their team is in trouble anyways. But if Lance isn’t ready yet now but starting, we’re already in bigger trouble, aren’t we? And then add the same concern, a not ready Lance not even having that deadly check down available and a ? running game (both CMC) does it sound like a formula for Trey’s success?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#69 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:40 pm

Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:

I don’t see the problem.

It is harder to key on a QB who mentally masters a complicated offense and go through progressions than a QB like Trey who is an inaccurate one read QB who can't read a defense
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#70 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 14, 2023 11:49 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

I don’t see the problem.

It is harder to key on a QB who mentally masters a complicated offense and go through progressions than a QB like Trey who is an inaccurate one read QB who can't read a defense

May be swinging a bit too far in the other direction now. Lance is inaccurate, and he's indecisive because he doesn't trust what he sees, but he does go through his progressions. Again, none of this is meant to dump on Lance. I think he could turn into a good player in the right circumstances, but there's a good chance he'll never end up in those circumstances because he isn't likely to get live action any time soon.

As for Purdy, he isn't reliant on any one guy. Take away Samuel, and he'll kill you with Aiyuk. Take away Aiyuk, and he'll go to Kittle. Take away Kittle, and Jennings looks good. Now, part of that is absolutely a testimony to the weapons we have, and arguably McCaffrey is the most important because of the diversity he offers, but Purdy has shown an ability to find the open player in this system. And we can keep all those weapons for a season or two longer because Purdy is so darn cheap.
Big J
General Manager

Post#71 » by Big J » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:40 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

I don’t see the problem.

Except that Trey can actually beat teams with his canon arm or his legs, so defenses have to worry about those things with Lance that they don't with Purdy.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Sep 15, 2023 12:52 am

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Except that Trey can actually beat teams with his canon arm or his legs, so defenses have to worry about those things with Lance that they don't with Purdy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38378450/nfl-death-long-passing-deep-ball-aerial-yards-negative-trend

And, again, he’s nowhere near as good on the 95%+ of throws that comprise NFL offences. But Purdy does throw long-intermediate passes outside the numbers (something Jimmy more or less refused to do, which imo is why Kyle wanted to move on) and that coupled with our run game is enough to keep defenders honest. Jimmy basically just used the middle between the numbers…he was amazingly effective at it considering everyone knew that’s all he does, but Brock does a lot more than that. For example on BA’s second TD, CMC was wide ass open in the flat, and I’ve heard the play was designed to go left, but Brock liked the 1 on 1 and threw BA open. Jimmy would have taken the flat out 100 out of 100 times.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#73 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:05 am

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

If he can hit the receiver....
Big J
General Manager

Post#74 » by Big J » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:06 am

Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38378450/nfl-death-long-passing-deep-ball-aerial-yards-negative-trend

And, again, he’s nowhere near as good on the 95%+ of throws that comprise NFL offences. But Purdy does throw long-intermediate passes outside the numbers (something Jimmy more or less refused to do, which imo is why Kyle wanted to move on) and that coupled with our run game is enough to keep defenders honest. Jimmy basically just used the middle between the numbers…he was amazingly effective at it considering everyone knew that’s all he does, but Brock does a lot more than that. For example on BA’s second TD, CMC was wide ass open in the flat, and I’ve heard the play was designed to go left, but Brock liked the 1 on 1 and threw BA open. Jimmy would have taken the flat out 100 out of 100 times.

The long ball might be dying, but you have to have the threat of it in order to keep defenses honest. What made Kaep so deadly was that he could either run all over teams and when they would key in on that he'd throw it over the top on them.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#75 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:19 am

And yet, Kap couldn't seal the deal, or even last in the league - granted that wasn't entirely related to what he did on the field.
Big J
General Manager

Post#76 » by Big J » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:32 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:And yet, Kap couldn't seal the deal, or even last in the league - granted that wasn't entirely related to what he did on the field.

Kap would have won one if he wasn't blackballed from the league.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#77 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:37 am

Big J wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:And yet, Kap couldn't seal the deal, or even last in the league - granted that wasn't entirely related to what he did on the field.

Kap would have won one if he wasn't blackballed from the league.

Oh, yeah. For sure.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#78 » by zman1 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:02 am

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Theoretically. That was what we hoped for but never saw.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#79 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:02 am

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#80 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:04 am

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Trey can't beat teams with his arm. He is inaccurate from all ranges. He isn't that good running the ball. Defenses can easily disguise coverages to confuse lance

Return to San Francisco 49ers