2022 Offseason thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Re: 2022 Offseason thread 

Post#621 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:22 pm

Cuts list coming out. Some thoughts on the initial list:

OL Poe - that one's kind of a shock given the recent success he'd had; REALLY hope we don't lose him.
RB Hasty - if only because he's different from all our other RBs
CB Castro-Fields - not a shock, but he was probably competing with Thomas; guessing he sticks on the PS.
CB Knight - not a shock at all, but he was in the mix at DB due to his versatility.
OC West - also not a surprise, but I was hoping he'd challenge for the starting center spot. Hopefully he sticks on the PS and they get him in a serious weight program.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#622 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:28 pm

DE Turay cut. That's a little bit of a surprise. I thought he might grab that last DL spot. Such a deep position group, though.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#623 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:30 pm

OT Skule cut. Might go to the PS. Not a shock, but he was in the mix.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#624 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:35 pm

Outside the team, Kellen Mond cut by the Vikings, who are sticking with Shaun Hill as the backup. Wow! Mond was Chris Simms' like #4 QB in the draft last year. Didn't even make it two seasons with a team that is (or should be) looking for an heir at the QB position.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#625 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:55 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Cuts list coming out. Some thoughts on the initial list:

OL Poe - that one's kind of a shock given the recent success he'd had; REALLY hope we don't lose him.
CB Castro-Fields - not a shock, but he was probably competing with Thomas; guessing he sticks on the PS.
CB Knight - not a shock at all, but he was in the mix at DB due to his versatility.
OC West - also not a surprise, but I was hoping he'd challenge for the starting center spot. Hopefully he sticks on the PS and they get him in a serious weight program.

Re: Poe, as I reflect on it a bit, it would be pretty hilarious is another team picked up an interior OL who was not good enough to make the Niners' roster. It's universally viewed as their weakest unit.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#626 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:26 pm

Sudfeld cut. That's $2 million down the drain. Ugh. Such a dumb deal.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#627 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:05 pm

Purdy makes it. I probably would have just put him on the PS, but this may be more indication that the team does not anticipate Jimmy lasting the full season on the roster.

Did I mention that the contract for Sudfeld was the dumbest we've given since Malcolm Smith? Though for substantially less money, at least.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#628 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:13 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Cuts list coming out. Some thoughts on the initial list:

Poe is the name that really sticks out to me since he looked pretty good in pre-season (at least in a relative sense by comparing him to the other less than stellar OL we have/had). His athleticism is elite for an OL and having a guy with his speed seemed like a great weapon given the number of plays we have that require guards to pull, jet sweeps, etc. Also wanted to see him on 3rd and inches either as an extra lead blocker in the backfield or as our version of the Fridge. I would think the Niners must be confident that no one else will pick him up so we can stash him on the PS.

West surprises me since that means that our Swiss army knife (Brusnkill) is now our only back-up C. I think Brunskill's primary value is as a utility guy/insurance policy and not playing regular downs as a C. Now it isn't just the quality of some of our starters that is questionable (actually every starting OL except Williams) but our depth is also very thin.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#629 » by Samurai » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:17 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Purdy makes it. I probably would have just put him on the PS, but this may be more indication that the team does not anticipate Jimmy lasting the full season on the roster.

Did I mention that the contract for Sudfeld was the dumbest we've given since Malcolm Smith? Though for substantially less money, at least.

In the preseason games I saw, Purdy looked more impressive than Sudfeld. I'm surprised the coaches saw it the same way given the contract (wasted money) we gave to Sudfeld.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,251

Post#630 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:10 pm

Dang, I definitely did not foresee Jordan Willis getting released.

Dude is a solid rotational player, with decent pass rushing chops. Also provides value on special teams, just look at last year's playoff game in Green Bay.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#631 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:13 pm

thesack12 wrote:Dang, I definitely did not foresee Jordan Willis getting released.

Dude is a solid rotational player, with decent pass rushing chops. Also provides value on special teams, just look at last year's playoff game in Green Bay.

Hadn't seen that he got cut yet. I figured he or Turay would make it. Surprised to see them both go. Does that mean Hyder and Omenihu both made it? I felt like they'd keep one of those two and one of Turay and Willis, as they profile as different types of players.

We'll move Ward to IR in a day or two and bring someone back. Will be interesting to see who it is.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#632 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:14 pm

Samurai wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Purdy makes it. I probably would have just put him on the PS, but this may be more indication that the team does not anticipate Jimmy lasting the full season on the roster.

In the preseason games I saw, Purdy looked more impressive than Sudfeld. I'm surprised the coaches saw it the same way given the contract (wasted money) we gave to Sudfeld.

Purdy was definitely more impressive than Sudfeld. Purdy is a better player than Sudfeld is today, and still has some upside to mine out of him.

People were saying he was a terrible pick, but turns out Mr Irrelevant actually made the team. Any 7th rounder that makes an NFL team is far from a bad pick, let alone the last pick in entire draft.

After learning for a year behind Trey and Jimmy, I wouldn't be shocked if Purdy was QB2 next season.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#633 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:17 pm

Read on Twitter

Looks like a really sound deal, for both the team and Jimmy.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#634 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:19 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:Dang, I definitely did not foresee Jordan Willis getting released.

Hadn't seen that he got cut yet. I figured he or Turay would make it. Surprised to see them both go. Does that mean Hyder and Omenihu both made it? I felt like they'd keep one of those two and one of Turay and Willis, as they profile as different types of players.

We'll move Ward to IR in a day or two and bring someone back. Will be interesting to see who it is.

This is the most up to date list, I've seen. Looks like both Hyder & Omenihu survived

Read on Twitter
thesack12
RealGM

Post#635 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:24 pm

Looks like Jordan Mason made it, which is good to see. He earned it.

Unfortunately they got rid of Hasty in favor of Sermon. Its not like Hasty is a great player or anything, but at least he provides some value as a 3rd down/receiving back. Now, Jeff Wilson is the only RB capable of filling that role.

At this point in time, the only value Sermon provides is merely being a warm body. Until injuries hit the RB room, its not hard to imagine Sermon racking up game day inactives.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#636 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:27 pm

Rapid update: Jordan Willis will be back after the IR stash's

Read on Twitter

Good, I like Willis and he has a solid amount of value. It didn't seem to make sense to release him.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#637 » by thesack12 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:30 pm

Ambry Thomas also survives, which isn't shocking considering his draft status.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if Ambry is cut when Verrett comes off PUP
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#638 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:37 pm

Biggest surprise for me is keeping LB Curtis Robinson. Not a name I really even recognize. He must have impressed on STs. Kind of odd to keep him over Poe or one of the DEs or CBs, who I'd think would be more likely to get picked up off waivers.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#639 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:40 pm

thesack12 wrote:Looks like Jordan Mason made it, which is good to see. He earned it.

Unfortunately they got rid of Hasty in favor of Sermon. Its not like Hasty is a great player or anything, but at least he provides some value as a 3rd down/receiving back. Now, Jeff Wilson is the only RB capable of filling that role.

At this point in time, the only value Sermon provides is merely being a warm body. Until injuries hit the RB room, its not hard to imagine Sermon racking up game day inactives.

Mason received some solid reviews as a receiver. He might be able to take on that role, though usually rookies struggle with pass blocking.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#640 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:40 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Biggest surprise for me is keeping LB Curtis Robinson. Not a name I really even recognize. He must have impressed on STs. Kind of odd to keep him over Poe or one of the DEs or CBs, who I'd think would be more likely to get picked up off waivers.

Just saw they kept him just to move him to IR.

Return to San Francisco 49ers