ImageImageImageImageImage

2022 Offseason thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Yadahell
Sophomore
And1: 6

Re: 2022 Offseason thread 

Post#661 » by Yadahell » Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:46 pm

With Sermon being cut, who do you think will be end up being RB2? TDP or Mason? Wilson seems to have lost a step...
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,251

Post#662 » by thesack12 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:20 pm

Yadahell wrote:With Sermon being cut, who do you think will be end up being RB2? TDP or Mason? Wilson seems to have lost a step...

Wilson is the primary backup & 3rd down/receiving back for now. Mason stands a good shot of overtaking Wilson for the RB2 role, perhaps sooner rather than later. Even if that happens I still think that Wilson retains the 3rd down/receiving RB role.

Also, Mason is probably the guy to fill the short yardage/goal line role from day 1.

Until injuries hit the RB room, Price will probably be inactive for most games.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#663 » by thesack12 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:26 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Turay onto the PS. Wouldn't be shocked if he makes the active roster at some point. No Dohnovan West. Pretty disappointed by that. I was hoping he would be in the mix to take over the center position in another year or two.

Yeah, Turay is a nice addition to the taxi squad.

Last I heard they only had 13 (1 being the international exemption) signed the PS, and I haven't heard that West had moved on somewhere else. So there are 4 more openings and still a chance that West comes back on the PS. However, you would think that if both parties were interested in that, he would have already signed back on.

Maybe West is taking his time to assess what options he might have, or maybe he just didn't show enough that the team was interested in retaining him. I know there sure wasn't much chatter about him during camp.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#664 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:37 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Turay onto the PS. Wouldn't be shocked if he makes the active roster at some point. No Dohnovan West. Pretty disappointed by that. I was hoping he would be in the mix to take over the center position in another year or two.

They kept Sutherland over West, apparently. Wow. Sutherland was AWFUL any time he got into a preseason game. Just a complete turnstile. Why stick with the third-year guy who is still terrible over the rookie who might actually develop into something?

And yes, there are still open spots, but hard to see them keeping more than two IOL.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#665 » by Samurai » Thu Sep 1, 2022 12:20 am

thesack12 wrote:
Yadahell wrote:With Sermon being cut, who do you think will be end up being RB2? TDP or Mason? Wilson seems to have lost a step...

Wilson is the primary backup & 3rd down/receiving back for now. Mason stands a good shot of overtaking Wilson for the RB2 role, perhaps sooner rather than later. Even if that happens I still think that Wilson retains the 3rd down/receiving RB role.

Also, Mason is probably the guy to fill the short yardage/goal line role from day 1.

Until injuries hit the RB room, Price will probably be inactive for most games.

Agree that our RB2 is Wilson until someone dethrones him. When in doubt, Shanahan prefers veterans over unproven rookies. But I think either Mason and TDP can pass him up, particularly if they can align good practices with positives in actual games; Shanahan seems to highly value what they do in practices that most of us don't get to see. And Wilson doesn't exactly set a particularly high bar to have to clear.

We still don't have any RB's on the PS; team will need to address that quickly given the injury history of RB's.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#666 » by Jikkle » Thu Sep 1, 2022 8:30 am

Not that I like to see them waste a 3rd rounder but I do like the fact they aren't clinging on to guys because of draft status or contract.

Just better to admit the mistake and put the best 53 guys on your roster instead of trying to make guys work that aren't.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#667 » by wco81 » Thu Sep 1, 2022 12:42 pm

So many picks squandered.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#668 » by thesack12 » Thu Sep 1, 2022 1:08 pm

Jikkle wrote:Not that I like to see them waste a 3rd rounder but I do like the fact they aren't clinging on to guys because of draft status or contract.

Just better to admit the mistake and put the best 53 guys on your roster instead of trying to make guys work that aren't.

For sure. The sunken cost fallacy, tends to cloud a lot of people's judgements.

Everybody makes mistakes, but the management of good team's consistently cut the cord before compounding those mistakes.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#669 » by thesack12 » Thu Sep 1, 2022 1:10 pm

wco81 wrote:So many picks squandered.

Could be worse, could be the Raiders.

Considering how many premium picks they have wasted over there, its actually a wonder they are still competitive.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#670 » by Dodub » Thu Sep 1, 2022 5:14 pm

Who cares? They’ve built a Super Bowl caliber roster, it’s time for fans to let go of the idea that they understand roster building. I’ve been guilty of this in the past as well, but as I’ve done more coaching, I’ve found that scheme fit is just as important as anything else
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#671 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 1, 2022 9:30 pm

Dodub wrote:

Who cares? They’ve built a Super Bowl caliber roster, it’s time for fans to let go of the idea that they understand roster building. I’ve been guilty of this in the past as well, but as I’ve done more coaching, I’ve found that scheme fit is just as important as anything else

Yeah, I've been having this argument with my dad for a while now. He looks at the bad contracts and wasted picks and says, "This front office is awful." I don't disagree about the misses, but I look at this roster, see one of the stronger teams in the league, and say, "This front office is doing pretty well."

I think it's really easy for fans to become fixated on their own team and lose context for the rest of the league. Every team makes awful choices every offseason. It's part of the game. If it was easy, every team would be great every year. But very few fans keep track of the bad picks or absurd contracts handed out by the teams they don't follow.

There's plenty to criticize Lynch and Shanahan for. Their first draft was an unmitigated disaster outside of Kittle. They've repeatedly botched high draft picks when people on this board were calling out for other players who have turned out far superior (I will personally never get over the team taking Jalen Hurd over Terry McLaurin). They've given out just dumb contracts. They adamantly refused to throw anything of value (picks or contracts) at the CB position for far too long. They have neglected the interior of the OL. And those shortcomings, recognized and called out in real-time by people here and elsewhere, have led to our biggest weaknesses in the recent past.

But when all is said and done, this is a damn good team in search of a QB - with a potentially promising one in the fold - and trying to patch a few holes in the same way every team is doing so. It could be better, but it could be much, much worse.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#672 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 1, 2022 9:30 pm

Looks like Sermon was picked up by Philly. Gonna be frustrated if he pans out there.
wco81
RealGM

Post#673 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 3:50 am

They inherited good players and had high draft positions coming in and from first poor season, which led to Bosa.

Then crappy trades like for Ford.

McGlinchey and kinlaw are on roster but not performing.

Pettis was a waste, now Sermon, maybe Banks and Ambry Thomas will be busts.

And the biggest potential bust may be Lance, considering the cost.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#674 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 2, 2022 5:50 am

wco81 wrote:They inherited good players and had high draft positions coming in and from first poor season, which led to Bosa.

Then crappy trades like for Ford.

McGlinchey and kinlaw are on roster but not performing.

Pettis was a waste, now Sermon, maybe Banks and Ambry Thomas will be busts.

And the biggest potential bust may be Lance, considering the cost.

Did they inherit good players? The 2016 team went 2-14. On offense, they had Kaepernick, but he was on his way out. Staley was still great. Trent Brown and Daniel Kilgore were fine. Beyond that, they had Carlos Hyde, Vance McDonald, Torrey Smith, Quinten Patton, Joshua Garnett. On defense, we had Deforest Buckner and Arik Armstead, though the latter was dealing with injuries and had been really disappointing to that point. Ward was playing CB and struggling at the time, Reid was alright at FS. Who else? Ahmad Brooks was on his last legs. Nick Bellore, Gerald Hodges, and Eli Harold were the LBs. Brock and Bethea were passable at CB and SS, but only that. Dial and Dorsey were just space fillers on the DL.

It was a pretty barren roster IMO, with only Staley and Buckner even really in the pro bowl conversation.
wco81
RealGM

Post#675 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 12:05 pm

They had Staley too and in Bosa’s rookie year Armstead and Buckner were all beasts.

Staley was Pro Bowl level and Buckner and Armstead were All Pro level.

Nice building blocks, though Staley was about to retire and they couldn’t afford to keep Buckner.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#676 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 2, 2022 1:06 pm

wco81 wrote:They had Staley too and in Bosa’s rookie year Armstead and Buckner were all beasts.

Nice building blocks, though Staley was about to retire and they couldn’t afford to keep Buckner.

I mentioned Staley. Three players that had a role on the SB team, and one of them had been a huge disappointment when they came in. I wouldn't say that's much to build on.

Again, they've made loads of mistakes. I just think most fans zero in on their team's mistakes and overlook the many mistakes other teams have made.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#677 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 2, 2022 4:20 pm

Re: some of their bad FA and trade moves, you also have to factor injury into it. They almost certainly overpaid for McKinnon, but he suffered a devastating injury that derailed his Niners career. If he'd stayed healthy and we'd had him and Deebo playing together, that would have been pretty sweet.

Ford is similar, though they probably shouldn't have traded for a guy with chronic back issues. Tough to know how much worse that got once he joined the Niners, but there's a reason the Chiefs let him go. His issues definitely weren't on the field, though. He was a special pass rusher when healthy.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#678 » by thesack12 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 4:37 pm

wco81 wrote:They had Staley too and in Bosa’s rookie year Armstead and Buckner were all beasts.

The Armstead this regime inherited was far from a beast. He was a pretty disappointing player. He only came on after Bosa came into the fold, which made offenses focus their attention on Bosa and Buckner affording Armstead a lot of winnable matchups.

Really, Armstead has only been a + player that one season in '19. After getting kicked to the inside last season his play was boosted, but its not like he's a great player. I'd say he's a solid player at best, yet he's payed like he's a legit star.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#679 » by thesack12 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 4:42 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:

I mentioned Staley. Three players that had a role on the SB team, and one of them had been a huge disappointment when they came in. I wouldn't say that's much to build on.

Again, they've made loads of mistakes. I just think most fans zero in on their team's mistakes and overlook the many mistakes other teams have made.

I completely agree. People are all to willing to focus on the lowlights, but won't put much thought into the highlights. And as you mentioned the lowlights are magnified since people are hyperfocused on their team.

I also don't think some people consider just how difficult it is to build a perrennially contending roster in the NFL. Let alone trying to do it without an elite QB in the fold that can mask a lot of the inadequacies on the roster. Then consider that the 9ers reside in a gauntlet of a division.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#680 » by thesack12 » Fri Sep 2, 2022 4:48 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Looks like Sermon was picked up by Philly. Gonna be frustrated if he pans out there.

If that happens, I personally wouldn't fret about it.

It was clear that he was not one of the best 5 RB's on this roster, and his skillset didn't provide anything that the other RB's can't. And they lost Hasty in order to keep Sermon initially.

The writing was on the wall when Sermon couldn't step in and give the running game a boost when Mitchell was either struggling from being banged up or out entirely. Instead of being able to plug in their 3rd round rookie, they had to try to cobble together their running game for big chunks of last season.

Sermon was just going to stack up game day inactives. Keeping Sermon made this team worse, as carrying him made them get rid of a more valuable/useful player. So for me, I'm fine if he ends up having a nice career. He wasn't going to do this 9ers team any good.

Return to San Francisco 49ers