Around the NFL Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#6701 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue May 25, 2021 5:10 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:I also think he contributes to part of the oline woes. The lineman don't always know where he is going to be. Sometimes I've noticed he will spin into a sack where there was an opportunity to the step up into the pocket and throw. He is at his best when scrambling out of the pocket and extending plays with his legs. I've noticed he doesn't seem to run downfield as much as he is used to. I would agree that part of offensive's inconsistencies falls on him because of all the improvising and off schedule plays does lead to inconsistencies where he can be red hot at times and then struggle. Still the best QB in the division and among the top on the league. Will be interesting to see how he plays as he gets into his 30s and can no longer rely on his athleticism to extend plays. Can he make the transition. People who didn't watch Montana play his whole career don't know just how athletic and mobile Montana was early in his career. Montana ran alot and threw on the run outside the pocket alot. After his back injury he really became far more a pocket passer. Had no choice.

Yup.

People love to blame the O-line for the amount of sacks that he's taken. Not only is it a lazy take. But they clearly don't watch or understand the game. The fact is that Russ is responsible for a lot of the pressure that he invites. He holds onto the ball a long time. Fifth longest (time) last season among QB's. According to PFF, the Hawks O-line was better than average (14th).

The problem isn't the offensive line. But rather it's been a combination of the offensive scheme & Wilson himself.

They fired OC Brian Schottenheimer back in January. Who ran primarily a version of the Air Coryell offense. It's a scheme that has a lot of long developing plays & down the field throws. Which often means that the QB is required to hang onto the ball longer than say a typical West Coast type of offense.

You have watched far more games than I have. I watch probably about 4 to 5 of their games each season. Kind of what I observed and what I've read from NFL people. For years I never realized how a QB like Tom Brady helps his oline and makes them look better.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#6702 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Tue May 25, 2021 11:36 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:DEDE WESTBROOK
WR, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports "several" teams are interested in free agent WR Dede Westbrook.

Fowler didn't name any teams pursuing Westbrook, though we can assume they are among the NFL's neediest at wide receiver. Westbrook, 27, had back-to-back 66-catch seasons for Jacksonville in 2018 and 2019 before suffering a season-ending knee injury in October 2020. In 2019, he was second on the team with 101 targets. Westbrook could be a serviceable starter if he's fully recovered from his 2020 knee injury.
SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter

May 7, 2021, 9:56 AM ET

There was a reason why I posted this several weeks ago:

https://www.ninersnation.com/2021/5/24/22452218/report-49ers-have-had-preliminary-communication-with-dede-westbrook
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#6703 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri May 28, 2021 3:19 pm

Newsflash: Ahkello Witherspoon is the best CB in the league. When healthy.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/05/27/ahkello-witherspoon-believes-hes-best-cornerback-in-nfl-when-hes-healthy/

Hahahaha. Guy is confident enough. If only he could, you know, play the ball in the air even a little. I'm interested to see what Carroll can get out of him. He's basically the Kocurek of DBs in terms of getting the most out of players, so maybe Witherspoon backs it up. But he's got at least as much downright terrible film as he does great film.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,510

Post#6704 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 28, 2021 5:25 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Newsflash: Ahkello Witherspoon is the best CB in the league. When healthy.

Good to know. :thumbsup:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,027

Post#6705 » by Scoots1994 » Fri May 28, 2021 9:40 pm

He's just never been healthy
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6706 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun May 30, 2021 10:18 pm

JULIO JONES
WR, ATLANTA FALCONS

PFT's Mike Florio reports the Titans have emerged as the favorites to trade for Julio Jones.

The "current expectation" is the Falcons will trade Jones to the Titans for a second-round pick. This conflicts with previous reports — ESPN reported the Falcons have a first-round offer for Jones and the Titans are a "longshot" to land him. With Atlanta facing cap pressure, it's possible they'll have to settle for less than a Day 1 pick for Jones if they don't contribute to his salary. The Patriots, who have had internal talks about Jones, also remain in play as a landing spot.
SOURCE: ProFootballTalk on NBCSports.com

May 30, 2021, 11:56 AM ET

JULIO JONES
WR, ATLANTA FALCONS

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports the Seahawks have "had discussions" about acquiring Julio Jones.

Per Russini, Jones and Russell Wilson have "spoken to discuss the possibility of playing together." This certainly would not be ideal from a fantasy perspective, as Jones, DK Metcalf and Tyler Lockett would work to cannibalize each other's production in an offense that will still remain based on the run. Russini's colleague Jeremy Fowler has also reported teams are "watching the 49ers closely" on Jones. PFT's Mike Florio has reported the Titans as the favorites for Jones' services. Buckle up.
SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

May 30, 2021, 3:36 PM ET
Scoots1994
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,027

Post#6707 » by Scoots1994 » Mon May 31, 2021 12:18 am

Julio Jones is on the down side of his prime ... I don't think he's worth what the Falcons are apparently asking.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6708 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jun 1, 2021 4:02 pm

Ronald Blair signed with the Jets. Too bad we lost him. I felt he was/could have been a nice rotational piece prior to the injury. We're pretty thin at DE. Hopefully guys stay healthy and Arden Key can show something. Not holding my breath on either of those.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#6709 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Jun 1, 2021 5:16 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Ronald Blair signed with the Jets. Too bad we lost him. I felt he was/could have been a nice rotational piece prior to the injury. We're pretty thin at DE. Hopefully guys stay healthy and Arden Key can show something. Not holding my breath on either of those.

I honestly don't think the 49ers wanted him. The team seemed to pass on him after his physical
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6710 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jun 1, 2021 6:24 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Ronald Blair signed with the Jets. Too bad we lost him. I felt he was/could have been a nice rotational piece prior to the injury. We're pretty thin at DE. Hopefully guys stay healthy and Arden Key can show something. Not holding my breath on either of those.

I honestly don't think the 49ers wanted him. The team seemed to pass on him after his physical

Yeah, apparently not. They had the opportunity to hang onto him and didn't. But we are pretty thin there. Bosa is rock solid assuming he's healthy (which is a bit of an assumption at this point), and I think Ebukam and Armstead can form a solid rotation across from him. It's pretty iffy after that. It would be a pleasant surprise if Ford plays this year. Key just hasn't been very good, and is a liability against the run. Jordan Willis wasn't bad as a depth player last year, and maybe has a bit of upside, but I don't have high hopes fr any sort of impact play. And Street can play outside on running downs in a pinch, but it's not a spot he's well-suited for.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#6711 » by Jikkle » Mon Jun 7, 2021 5:48 am

Julio Jones to the Titans for a pretty reasonable package.

At least he's in the AFC and not in the NFC anymore especially to one of the NFC West teams.

His contract was likely the thing that scared most teams away and at the very likely the reason the 9ers weren't in it. Think they'd rather have that money for Warner and some ready for Bosa when the time comes who will get a massive payday if he stays on the field.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6712 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:39 pm

Titans go from one of the worst receiving corps in the league - an excellent AJ Brown, but basically nothing else - to one of the most dangerous in a single move. Good move for them. Not great for Atlanta to be in a position where they had to lose Jones, but since they were, it's a decent return, and more importantly, they got that contract off the books.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6713 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jun 7, 2021 3:40 pm

It will be interesting to see how Atlanta deploys Pitts this year and going forward. He has the skills to play outside, and Hayden Hurst is still a pretty good TE. I wouldn't be surprised if we see Pitts split out a decent amount (at least for a rookie TE).
TheBlackCzar
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#6714 » by TheBlackCzar » Tue Jun 8, 2021 11:10 pm

Jikkle wrote:Julio Jones to the Titans for a pretty reasonable package.

At least he's in the AFC and not in the NFC anymore especially to one of the NFC West teams.

His contract was likely the thing that scared most teams away and at the very likely the reason the 9ers weren't in it. Think they'd rather have that money for Warner and some ready for Bosa when the time comes who will get a massive payday if he stays on the field.

I think between the cap rising and Jimmy's contract being removed will open up more than enough money for Warner and Bosa......
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6715 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jul 1, 2021 10:57 pm

Seahawks UDFA WR Tamarrion Terry indicted for murder. Wow.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6716 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Jul 2, 2021 12:04 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Seahawks UDFA WR Tamarrion Terry indicted for murder. Wow.

WTF :o

I’m a big FSU fan. I was rooting for this kid and honestly believed he had a bright future in the league.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager

Post#6717 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Fri Jul 2, 2021 12:08 am

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Seahawks UDFA WR Tamarrion Terry indicted for murder. Wow.

WTF :o

I’m a big FSU fan. I was rooting for this kid and honestly believed he had a bright future in the league.

TAMORRION TERRY
WR, UNSIGNED FREE AGENT

The Miami Herald's Adam Beasley reports WR Tamorrion Terry was indicted for felony murder of a 21-year-old woman in a 2018 gang-related mass shooting in Georgia.

21-year-old Za’ Quavia Smith was among at least seven people shot at the Studio 2.0 nightclub in Ashburn, Georgia, in June of 2018. The timeline puts Terry (among 10 others indicted for felony murder) at the shooting during the summer before the former's redshirt freshman year at Florida State. Terry was signed by the Seahawks in May but was quietly released on Wednesday.
SOURCE: Adam Beasley on Twitter

Jul 1, 2021, 9:48 AM ET
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6718 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jul 7, 2021 6:03 pm

N'Keal Harry seeking a trade from NE. He's been a huge disappointment for them through to years, especially in light of the guys they passed on to take him (Brown, Metcalf, Samuel, etc.). I'm not particularly interested, but if we're talking a 6th round pick, I'd consider it. He's got size and YAC ability, and could fit that big slot spot that Shanahan still hasn't found a guy to fill. Given the choice between Harry and Sanu, I'd lean Harry (for this year; he's the clear favorite long-term).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6719 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:23 pm

Richard Sherman booked for burglary/domestic violence in Seattle, apparently. Bizarre.

Read on Twitter

Denial of bail suggests it could be a pretty serious charge. I'm not certain about Washington, but residential burglary is a serious felony in California (a strike).
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6720 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:40 pm

In reading a bit more, looks like he's just been arrested and hasn't gone before a judge yet, so denial of bail is probably standard procedure at that stage on these sorts of charges. It will be more telling if he's denied bail when he gets in front of the judge. I can't speak with conviction, but in a progressive city like Seattle, being denied bail outright would probably not be a great sign in terms of the alleged conduct.

Return to San Francisco 49ers