Around the NFL Thread

Moderators: CalamityX12, MHSL82

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,506

Re: Around the NFL Thread 

Post#6721 » by Cactus Jack » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:25 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:In reading a bit more, looks like he's just been arrested and hasn't gone before a judge yet, so denial of bail is probably standard procedure at that stage on these sorts of charges. It will be more telling if he's denied bail when he gets in front of the judge. I can't speak with conviction, but in a progressive city like Seattle, being denied bail outright would probably not be a great sign in terms of the alleged conduct.

Update:

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#6722 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:39 pm

Torn Achilles for Cam Akers. Rough break for him and the Rams. Darrel Henderson is still a solid option, but he's a step down from Akers, and it's not clear they have much behind that.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#6723 » by wco81 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:46 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Torn Achilles for Cam Akers. Rough break for him and the Rams. Darrel Henderson is still a solid option, but he's a step down from Akers, and it's not clear they have much behind that.

Many seem to be picking the Rams to go to the Super Bowl, because of the QB upgrade.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6724 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:29 pm

The Rams could be very good this year. Their offense is mostly returning, but with a pretty clear upgrade at QB. Their D lost some talent on the back end, but they've still got two of the best players in the league at any position on that side of the ball. I expect them to challenge for the division, and if they emerge from it, I would expect them to make some noise in the playoffs.

But like us, they're awfully thin at some key positions, and despite his solid career, Stafford has never shown he can take his team to the next level. This could easily be the year for him, though.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#6725 » by GS Warriors 1 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:42 pm

Tough for Akers, who was primed to have a larger role in the offense this year. History of this injury for RB's is pretty bad, the type of injury where the Rams may have to get another RB with one of their top picks in the '22 Draft. As for now, not much on the vet FA pool, may have to dip into the trade market. Xavier Jones/Jake Funk/Raymond Calais are likely fighting for 2 spots, RB3 and ST. They need a reliable between the tackles backup as one of those guys could be used more in the passing game. Maybe Denver willing to give up Royce Freeman or Pats with Sony Michel?
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,338

Post#6726 » by wco81 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 2:29 am

Former 49ers OC Greg Knapp has passed away after being hit by a car while riding a bicycle.

He was working for the Jets.

Guy got a lot of grief from 49ers fans because I think the team was struggling to put up points when he served as OC here.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6727 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:14 pm

Saw that. Really tragic, and scary to think about someone dying in that fashion as someone who aspires to bike more.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#6728 » by GS Warriors 1 » Tue Aug 3, 2021 8:26 pm

Vikings cut 2020 1st round pick CB Jeff Gladney after a jury in Dallas indicted him for assault of a woman in April.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6729 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Aug 4, 2021 4:25 pm

Not sure if people heard about this yesterday, but Panthers cut a CB for laying out a WR in camp. Video below. I've got to be honest, at least from this angle, it doesn't look dirty. I had to watch it several times to even figure out which one was Ibe. Though a number of observers who were closer say it was a brutal hit, so maybe this just doesn't capture it, and he was head-hunting.

Read on Twitter
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#6730 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sun Aug 8, 2021 4:43 pm

DARIUS LEONARD
LB, INDIANAPOLIS COLTS

Colts signed MLB Darius Leonard to a five-year, $99.25 million extension through 2026.

The deal contains $52.5 million guaranteed and makes Leonard the NFL’s highest-paid off-ball linebacker, surpassing Fred Warner’s recent extension with the 49ers. This deal with Leonard has been in the works for weeks. The former second-round pick won Rookie of the Year in 2018 and has been named a first-team All-Pro two times while making the Pro Bowl all three years. He’s started all 42 games he’s appeared in and is now signed through his age-31 campaign. Leonard is coming off an offseason clean-up procedure on his ankle but will be ready for the opener.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Aug 8, 2021, 8:28 AM ET
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#6731 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:01 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
As the first overall pick, sure. But as a guy to bring in late in FA on a mid-range, one-year deal? I think he's worth a shot.

He definitely was not a guy I was "targeting" when the FA period opened up, but when we moved up in the draft and I was thinking about moving Garoppolo and using some of the savings to flesh out our roster, he's a guy whose name stood out a bit.

I would possibly kick the tires for vet minimum, but for some reason people keep paying this guy millions. He’s not been a consistent difference maker in the league.

Now you're swinging too far in the other direction. Clowney is a solid starting DE. His pressure numbers are routinely better than his sack numbers, and are pretty solid. And he's very good against the run - again, with the caveat that he has dealt with some injuries and he can take plays off. If he weren't a first overall pick, he'd be considered one of the better base ends in the league, most likely.

Vet minimum players are marginal roster guys. Clowney is far superior to that sort of guy, even factoring in his off-field baggage (worth ethic, seemingly higher opinion of himself than the production bears out).

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,251

Post#6732 » by thesack12 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 9:51 pm

Read on Twitter

Wish the 9ers were able to get something of value for Spoon.

But at least, we won't have to worry about a DJ Reed 2.0 type situation.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6733 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 3, 2021 10:02 pm

Man, Hawks are thin at CB. I had Witherspoon pegged as a starter, and maybe their number one guy. Weird. Carroll is really good at finding hidden gems at CB, but they just don't have much at all.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#6734 » by Cactus Jack » Fri Sep 3, 2021 10:11 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Man, Hawks are thin at CB. I had Witherspoon pegged as a starter, and maybe their number one guy. Weird. Carroll is really good at finding hidden gems at CB, but they just don't have much at all.

DJ Reed & Tre Flowers are the starters. Witherspoon was set to be a backup until they traded for Sidney Jones. But yes, it's a huge concern. They obviously didn't like what they saw in camp & decided to dump him.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#6735 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 3, 2021 10:24 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Man, Hawks are thin at CB. I had Witherspoon pegged as a starter, and maybe their number one guy. Weird. Carroll is really good at finding hidden gems at CB, but they just don't have much at all.

DJ Reed & Tre Flowers are the starters. Witherspoon was set to be a backup until they traded for Sidney Jones. But yes, it's a huge concern. They obviously didn't like what they saw in camp & decided to dump him.

Witherspoon looked like an all pro at times but mentally lacks confidence. As soon as he has a bad outing, he starts questioning himself and ends up in a slump. That is what happened to him in SF.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6736 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 3, 2021 11:27 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:

I knew those other two were there, I just figured Witherspoon might be better than them. Witherspoon was always talented, but could never quite put it together. As I think I've mentioned on this board, I was pretty worried Carroll might help him do so. I had forgotten about their trade for Sidney Jones. Jones apparently wasn't bad last year, has that UW pedigree (go Dawgs!) and some upside still, but it's hard to have too much faith in a guy the Jags traded for a sixth-rounder (granted Baalke is an awful GM).
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#6737 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Sep 4, 2021 12:15 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

I knew those other two were there, I just figured Witherspoon might be better than them. Witherspoon was always talented, but could never quite put it together. As I think I've mentioned on this board, I was pretty worried Carroll might help him do so. I had forgotten about their trade for Sidney Jones. Jones apparently wasn't bad last year, has that UW pedigree (go Dawgs!) and some upside still, but it's hard to have too much faith in a guy the Jags traded for a sixth-rounder (granted Baalke is an awful GM).

Yeah well CB is by far their biggest area of concern. Tre Flowers has been our version of Witherspoon for the last like 3 years. Very inconsistent. They just don't have enough quality at that spot.

Sidney Jones was a lockdown corner in college. But the guy just hasn't stayed healthy since he entered the league.

I really don't have a clue what they're doing at the position. DJ Reed was solid last year. Flowers can be hit or miss. Outside of that you have a Rookie (Tre Brown) who has been injured most of camp & Jones as the primary backups. It's honestly a complete cluster**** right now.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6738 » by CrimsonCrew » Sat Sep 4, 2021 4:41 am

Very irritating we lost Reed to you guys. Held him through two years of injury, then let him get snapped up just as he was getting healthy. So dumb....
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#6739 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:18 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:that UW pedigree (go Dawgs!)

A UW alum?

I went to the Montana game last week.

Jimmy Lake is in over his head.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#6740 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:12 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:that UW pedigree (go Dawgs!)

A UW alum?

I went to the Montana game last week.

Jimmy Lake is in over his head.

For grad school, so not a diehard football fan, but I still cheer for them.

Return to San Francisco 49ers