Analyst
And1: 263

Re: 49ers vs. Green Bay Packers 

Post#701 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:11 am

thesack12 wrote:
arich35 wrote:Ryans is getting a head coaching job

He very well could...

Read on Twitter

Wouldn't be a great situation to have a new DC for the 2nd consecutive year. But if Ryans does get a HC gig, 9ers would be awarded a 3rd round pick in the 2022 and 2023 draft.

I don't think he gets a job this year but all it takes is one impatient team to pull the trigger worried about missing out on the next upcoming young head coach.

For me if I was running a team I would just want to see a coordinator weather offense or defense be in charge of a unit at least 2 or 3 years before hiring them to get a bigger sample size and for the coach themselves to get more experience leading a large group of players before taking on an entire team of them along with all the other burdens head coaches have.

Like I thought it was a mistake on the Chargers part to hire Staley after just one year of being a defensive coordinator and maybe time will tell but so far I'm not impressed.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#702 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:15 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Come on, fellas. Let's be a little more positive. It's the Rams. We own these guys. And they just choked away a 21-point lead to almost cost them the game. Sure, on paper they're more talented than the Bucs at this point, but I think they're the better matchup for us. The way the DL has been playing, we will hopefully have Stafford running around out of sorts all day. I'm excited. Let's go back to the super bowl!

I thought there were positives and negatives to playing either team and I between the two I was fine playing either one and didn't view one way more favorable.

My biggest concern is how we do on offense not which team we're playing because we play offense like we did against the Packers it wouldn't matter which team we're playing because we wouldn't beat either one.
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#703 » by Jikkle » Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:18 am

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Its far from a given he'll be able to play in the NFCCG, but this is obviously encouraging news right now.

My gut tells me he plays because he played the whole game and he still was moving around fine so I don't see it being anything serious.

Of course once the adrenaline wears off and the swelling sets in it could be a different story but that extra days rest and short travel trip might be just what the doctor ordered.

If this was a regular season game he doesn't play but given this is the NFC Championship game I see him toughing it out and playing.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#704 » by arich35 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:58 pm

Jikkle wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Its far from a given he'll be able to play in the NFCCG, but this is obviously encouraging news right now.

My gut tells me he plays because he played the whole game and he still was moving around fine so I don't see it being anything serious.

Of course once the adrenaline wears off and the swelling sets in it could be a different story but that extra days rest and short travel trip might be just what the doctor ordered.

If this was a regular season game he doesn't play but given this is the NFC Championship game I see him toughing it out and playing.

As long as its not a high ankle sprain he will play. Didn't Wirfs play for TB this week after he looked much worse against the Eagles?
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#705 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:48 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Come on, fellas. Let's be a little more positive. It's the Rams. We own these guys. And they just choked away a 21-point lead to almost cost them the game. Sure, on paper they're more talented than the Bucs at this point, but I think they're the better matchup for us. The way the DL has been playing, we will hopefully have Stafford running around out of sorts all day. I'm excited. Let's go back to the super bowl!

I thought there were positives and negatives to playing either team and I between the two I was fine playing either one and didn't view one way more favorable.

My biggest concern is how we do on offense not which team we're playing because we play offense like we did against the Packers it wouldn't matter which team we're playing because we wouldn't beat either one.

The reason the Bucs scare me so much is because their single greatest strength is probably stopping the run. Because of the shortcomings you mention above, if we can't run effectively, we're probably sunk.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#706 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:36 pm

arich35 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

As long as its not a high ankle sprain he will play. Didn't Wirfs play for TB this week after he looked much worse against the Eagles?

A high ankle sprain is my concern as well. I haven't heard anything about Trent undergoing an MRI or being scheduled for one, but that doesn't mean that he won't be getting one at some point.

Wirfs tried to re-enter the Eagles game after getting hurt but it was clear he was a liability out there in his current state and was only risking more damage to the ankle. He was inactive for yesterday's game against the Rams. Now that Tampa has been eliminated, its already been announced Wirfs will undergo surgery to repair a "significant" high ankle sprain.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#707 » by thesack12 » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:39 pm

Read on Twitter

This play is a microcosm of one of the themes of the game, but man watching this play Live I didn't notice Brunskill get pushed down like he a was 5 year old.

O-Line is going to have to find a way to be a lot better this Sunday against the the Donald/Miller led pass rush.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#708 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:13 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This play is a microcosm of one of the themes of the game, but man watching this play Live I didn't notice Brunskill get pushed down like he a was 5 year old.

O-Line is going to have to find a way to be a lot better this Sunday against the the Donald/Miller led pass rush.

Tough to fault Brunskill too much for that. He's absorbing his guy but gets blind-sided by Compton's with a full head of steam.

Brunskill seems to play his best games against Donald. Let's hope he can bounce back. Our guys seem to do better against speed and finesse than power - not to say that Donald doesn't have both, but he just lacks the mass of some of these other guys.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#709 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:16 am

Williams has an ankle sprain. Not yet clear if high or low. Not looking great for him playing, but let's hope.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#710 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:38 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Williams has an ankle sprain. Not yet clear if high or low. Not looking great for him playing, but let's hope.

Its interesting Kyle specifically mentioned that Jeff Wilson did not have a High ankle sprain, but only mentioned that Williams has an ankle sprain.

Reading between the lines would seem to indicate that Trent's sprain might be of the high ankle variety.

However, Kyle also compared it to Jordan Willis' injury last week, which was initially called a high ankle then later was revealed not to be a high ankle. And of course Willis went on to be active, and make the season saving play of the game.

Kyle also said there are "some old components" to Trent's injury. Which could mean any number of different things. He missed Week 18 vs the Rams with an elbow issue. However he missed the week & against the Colts due to an ankle issue, which is probably where the "old components" reference was made to.

So who knows where Trent is currently at. The negative xrays are encouraging, but everything else doesn't look great. We should be pretty concerned about his status for the NFCCG.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#711 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:48 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Tough to fault Brunskill too much for that. He's absorbing his guy but gets blind-sided by Compton's with a full head of steam.

Brunskill seems to play his best games against Donald. Let's hope he can bounce back. Our guys seem to do better against speed and finesse than power - not to say that Donald doesn't have both, but he just lacks the mass of some of these other guys.

Yeah, it was Compton's man who trucked Brunskill. But Brunskill wasn't blindsided, he was facing both defenders. It was clear Brunskill was not getting any push and was losing his matchup already being pushed backwards towards the QB. Smith just finished Brunskill off, with basically no resistance.

All that said, you're right Compton was the main reason the right side of the line got blown up that play. It's just jarring to see Brunskill get trucked that easily. Fortunately Jimmy and Deebo made a critical clutch play there.

Brunskill has been solid against Donald in the past, and we can only hope for more of the same. But if the line plays as poorly this Sunday as they did last Sunday, its going to be very tough road to hoe. The Rams pass rush is much better than the Packers', and Green Bay's rush looked ferocious going against the O-line.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#712 » by arich35 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:55 am

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Williams has an ankle sprain. Not yet clear if high or low. Not looking great for him playing, but let's hope.

Its interesting Kyle specifically mentioned that Jeff Wilson did not have a High ankle sprain, but only mentioned that Williams has an ankle sprain.

Reading between the lines would seem to indicate that Trent's sprain might be of the high ankle variety.

However, Kyle also compared it to Jordan Willis' injury last week, which was initially called a high ankle then later was revealed not to be a high ankle. And of course Willis went on to be active, and make the season saving play of the game.

Kyle also said there are "some old components" to Trent's injury. Which could mean any number of different things. He missed Week 18 vs the Rams with an elbow issue. However he missed the week & against the Colts due to an ankle issue, which is probably where the "old components" reference was made to.

So who knows where Trent is currently at. The negative xrays are encouraging, but everything else doesn't look great. We should be pretty concerned about his status for the NFCCG.

The only bright side was Williams was able to finish the game and wasn't a liability. Wirfs you could tell he was just in too much pain, I hoping 7 days off and a lot of treatment and pain meds Williams will be able to go. It would be such a bummer for him to miss this game
Jikkle
Analyst

Post#713 » by Jikkle » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:07 am

arich35 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

The only bright side was Williams was able to finish the game and wasn't a liability. Wirfs you could tell he was just in too much pain, I hoping 7 days off and a lot of treatment and pain meds Williams will be able to go. It would be such a bummer for him to miss this game

Yeah that's why I don't think it's a severe sprain either way but the question is if it's severe enough to keep him out of this upcoming game.

I still tend to think he guts it out considering it's the NFC Championship game and if they win he'll get that 2 week period to really rest it.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,340

Post#714 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 9:41 am

Brutal trying to reach the SB winning 3 playoffs games. In 2019-20, 49ers had the bye so it was just two games and they didn’t have too many key injuries.

In 2013-14, defense was so depleted, barely beat the Falcons to get into the SB and they made Flacco look all-world. No bye that year.

Hard to avoid injuries in 3 playoffs games, you hope you don’t lose key players.

At leas the other teams are all having to play 3 games.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#715 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:36 pm

Read on Twitter
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#716 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:11 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Jimmy is getting reamed, and rightly so, but he made a couple crucial throws to seal that win for us. I'm really hoping some team out there gives a first or a second and more for him.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#717 » by Samurai » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:09 pm

Totally random and irrelevant item: I noticed that on the game winning FG, Dwelley (who normally is #82) has a distinct number '02' on his back. Did the team forget to pack his jersey or is this the team's subtle way of telling him that he's been demoted? :wink:
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#718 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 25, 2022 6:21 pm

Samurai wrote:Totally random and irrelevant item: I noticed that on the game winning FG, Dwelley (who normally is #82) has a distinct number '02' on his back. Did the team forget to pack his jersey or is this the team's subtle way of telling him that he's been demoted? :wink:

Yeah, I saw that, too. I figured the 8 in his jersey just got bunched up so the middle line wasn't visible, but I'm not sure what the explanation was.
a8bil
Analyst
And1: 1,677

Post#720 » by a8bil » Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:36 am

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

You guys are all fretting on Brunskill while Trent was on skates on that play.

Return to San Francisco 49ers