Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Re: The Brock Purdy Thread 

Post#82 » by Big J » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:40 pm

David Lombardi is a shill for the team. Anyone can cherry pick the stats that they want. Try finding someone who covers the team that is actually objective like Grant Cohn.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#83 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 1:58 pm

Big J wrote:David Lombardi is a shill for the team. Anyone can cherry pick the stats that they want. Try finding someone who covers the team that is actually objective like Grant Cohn.

Lmao. Grant Cohn is the biggest clown around.A total Lance homer. The guy says stuff just to get a rise out of people. No one is detested more by the fan base
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,601

Post#84 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:03 pm

Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:
Except that Trey can actually beat teams with his canon arm or his legs, so defenses have to worry about those things with Lance that they don't with Purdy.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/38378450/nfl-death-long-passing-deep-ball-aerial-yards-negative-trend

And, again, he’s nowhere near as good on the 95%+ of throws that comprise NFL offences. But Purdy does throw long-intermediate passes outside the numbers (something Jimmy more or less refused to do, which imo is why Kyle wanted to move on) and that coupled with our run game is enough to keep defenders honest. Jimmy basically just used the middle between the numbers…he was amazingly effective at it considering everyone knew that’s all he does, but Brock does a lot more than that. For example on BA’s second TD, CMC was wide ass open in the flat, and I’ve heard the play was designed to go left, but Brock liked the 1 on 1 and threw BA open. Jimmy would have taken the flat out 100 out of 100 times.

The long ball might be dying, but you have to have the threat of it in order to keep defenses honest. What made Kaep so deadly was that he could either run all over teams and when they would key in on that he'd throw it over the top on them.

Did you read what I wrote below the link?
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#85 » by thesack12 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:05 pm

Big J wrote:David Lombardi is a shill for the team. Anyone can cherry pick the stats that they want. Try finding someone who covers the team that is actually objective like Grant Cohn.

LOL, Grant Cohn is the antithesis of objective.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#86 » by arich35 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:08 pm

You are a Grant Cohn fan, everything makes sense now.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:25 pm

First of all, yeah Lombardi leans homer hard, but he didn’t make up the stats. Honestly, do you feel that dismissing the numbers because of who linked them is a good faith response? Why are they cherry picking? FTF round table showed that since he became the starter Purdy has been either 1st or 2nd in like every single qb stat. No one has ever gotten off to a better start at qb in NFL history.

Secondly, I actually like Grant. Among many reasons he has served as a platform for a ton of new content creators to raise their status, he’s genuinely kinda fathered a bunch of current Niners online content. And he’s bright and quick and funny. And when he’s not being a polemicist is capable of good journalism. But he IS a polemicist by his own admission. He has said that the ideal scenario for him is the Niners losing in the SB every year, because their just losing lowers his viewers/readers but he enjoys criticizing a lot more than praising, which he considers boring and redundant, and he loves when the FO is under fire.

I am like 95% certain that if Trey had become the unquestioned qb he’d have started emphasizing his weaknesses/failures a ton more, or at the very least he’d criticize how Kyle uses him. Again, by his own his own admission he wants the team to fail as spectacularly as possible.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Big J
General Manager

Post#88 » by Big J » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:22 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:

Lmao. Grant Cohn is the biggest clown around.A total Lance homer. The guy says stuff just to get a rise out of people. No one is detested more by the fan base

He’s detested because he actually criticizes areas of the team that need improvement rather than just being a homer.
Big J
General Manager

Post#89 » by Big J » Fri Sep 15, 2023 3:23 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:

First of all, yeah Lombardi leans homer hard, but he didn’t make up the stats. Honestly, do you feel that dismissing the numbers because of who linked them is a good faith response? Why are they cherry picking? FTF round table showed that since he became the starter Purdy has been either 1st or 2nd in like every single qb stat. No one has ever gotten off to a better start at qb in NFL history.

Secondly, I actually like Grant. Among many reasons he has served as a platform for a ton of new content creators to raise their status, he’s genuinely kinda fathered a bunch of current Niners online content. And he’s bright and quick and funny. And when he’s not being a polemicist is capable of good journalism. But he IS a polemicist by his own admission. He has said that the ideal scenario for him is the Niners losing in the SB every year, because their just losing lowers his viewers/readers but he enjoys criticizing a lot more than praising, which he considers boring and redundant, and he loves when the FO is under fire.

I am like 95% certain that if Trey had become the unquestioned qb he’d have started emphasizing his weaknesses/failures a ton more, or at the very least he’d criticize how Kyle uses him. Again, by his own his own admission he wants the team to fail as spectacularly as possible.

He might be critical, but every criticism that he points out is based in truth. He’s the only one who actually has the balls to say it to the fans.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#90 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:02 pm

Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

He might be critical, but every criticism that he points out is based in truth. He’s the only one who actually has the balls to say it to the fans.

His version of the truth, which is just his opinion. He says alot of stupid stuff just to get a rise out of people. He is the last person anyone should take seriously.
Big J
General Manager

Post#91 » by Big J » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:33 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

His version of the truth, which is just his opinion. He says alot of stupid stuff just to get a rise out of people. He is the last person anyone should take seriously.

But we should take homers seriously?
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#92 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:36 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

He’s detested because he actually criticizes areas of the team that need improvement rather than just being a homer.

He is detested because he says dumb and inflammatory stuff to get clicks and a rise out of people.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#93 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:37 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

The homers you describe are those that objectively report far more than Grant Cohn does. Arik Armstead called him a low life. The players don't like him. There is a reason for it
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#94 » by Harry Palmer » Fri Sep 15, 2023 4:54 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Again, if homers are publishing objective data, yes.

And if your team is consistently one of the best in the league, the homers/optimists have probably been more accurate than the pessimists.

But I will add a couple more reasons I like Grant:

1) having someone who is consistently critical IS an important part of the sports journalist community. Having been in that environment myself I can tell you that the trade off is access for not being critical, and it’s important to have voices operating outside that dynamic. It just is bound to be less accurate on a damned good team. But sports journalists should not be worried about being friendly with the players, imo. As a consumer I think of it as different flavours depending on what mood I’m in.

2) Grant does these vids with his dad, a retired well respected Bay Area sports columnist who also leaned into polemics in his day from what I’ve heard. Never read anything he’s done, probably should, but I know he had relationships with people like Bill Walsh and Steve Young, so legit. And Grant and him debate stuff on these head to heads, normally kindof agreeing. But in one segment in preseason Grant’s dad really ripped into Grant, and it wasn’t just about having a different opinion, I can’t remember what the issue was offhand, but it was more along the lines of criticizing Grant’s objectivity, or getting personal about players, something like that. It was very uncomfortable, Grant was clearly embarrassed…but he aired it. Pretty sure most content creators would not have. Not if it didn’t involve someone likely to call them out for not airing it, which his dad never would. The only thing he had to gain from airing it was looking bad, and he did it anyways. Earned a lot of respect from me.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Big J
General Manager

Post#95 » by Big J » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:17 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

The homers you describe are those that objectively report far more than Grant Cohn does. Arik Armstead called him a low life. The players don't like him. There is a reason for it

Of course the players don't like him. If a member of the media is beloved by players they aren't doing their job. Grant was one of the only guys that had the guts to call out Kinlaw who has been an epic bust. He also went in hard on Jimmy and was crucified by Niners fans up until the team got rid of him, then they all joined him with pitchforks.
Big J
General Manager

Post#96 » by Big J » Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:22 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

And if your team is consistently one of the best in the league, the homers/optimists have probably been more accurate than the pessimists.

1) having someone who is consistently critical IS an important part of the sports journalist community. Having been in that environment myself I can tell you that the trade off is access for not being critical, and it’s important to have voices operating outside that dynamic. It just is bound to be less accurate on a damned good team. But sports journalists should not be worried about being friendly with the players, imo. As a consumer I think of it as different flavours depending on what mood I’m in.

2) Grant does these vids with his dad, a retired well respected Bay Area sports columnist who also leaned into polemics in his day from what I’ve heard. Never read anything he’s done, probably should, but I know he had relationships with people like Bill Walsh and Steve Young, so legit. And Grant and him debate stuff on these head to heads, normally kindof agreeing. But in one segment in preseason Grant’s dad really ripped into Grant, and it wasn’t just about having a different opinion, I can’t remember what the issue was offhand, but it was more along the lines of criticizing Grant’s objectivity, or getting personal about players, something like that. It was very uncomfortable, Grant was clearly embarrassed…but he aired it. Pretty sure most content creators would not have. Not if it didn’t involve someone likely to call them out for not airing it, which his dad never would. The only thing he had to gain from airing it was looking bad, and he did it anyways. Earned a lot of respect from me.

Being the best team, but coming up short is one the most excruciating experiences to have as a fan. When that happens there needs to be voices from outside the organization pushing for change. Grant fills that role nicely and calls things as he sees them.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#97 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:02 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Of course the players don't like him. If a member of the media is beloved by players they aren't doing their job. Grant was one of the only guys that had the guts to call out Kinlaw who has been an epic bust. He also went in hard on Jimmy and was crucified by Niners fans up until the team got rid of him, then they all joined him with pitchforks.

It isn't about being beloved. It is about acting like an ahole for clicks and Cohn did inflammtory crap. He went beyond calling players a bust.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#98 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:05 pm

Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:

Being the best team, but coming up short is one the most excruciating experiences to have as a fan. When that happens there needs to be voices from outside the organization pushing for change. Grant fills that role nicely and calls things as he sees them.

If one is pushing for change, he is no longer a journalist or as you say objective, he is an activist. That is not the proper role for the media. Cohn goes beyond critical, he says inflammatory stuff to generate clicks.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#99 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 15, 2023 7:58 pm

Re: Grant, I've gone back and forth on him over the years. He sucked when he started out. Then he actually committed to the job, dove into film study and got decent at it, and really improved the quality of his content. I think the YouTube channel has led to some real back-sliding for him, as he realizes that sensationalism sells. But he's still worth listening to.

That said, he has been FAR from objective on the matter of Trey Lance. He once referred to Lance as the best prospect since John Elway, which was laughable at the time and only more so since. Hell, Lance was the third QB in his class, and although the second one hasn't turned out, Lawrence is looking like everything the Jags hoped. That's to say nothing of, I don't know, Peyton Manning and Andrew Luck.

Cohn has correctly identified all sorts of issues with the Niners' process during the Trey Lance era (was it long enough to be called an era???). But reading/watching his practice reports this offseason was insane. He would highlight every interception Purdy threw, then excuse every one that Lance threw. There is no comparison between Lance and Purdy in terms of INTs in live action. Brock Purdy has thrown four INTs in nine complete or mostly complete games. Actually, he's thrown three, as one of those picks was in garbage time against the Chiefs. That includes two playoff games and 262 attempts. In four games that he played a lot in, Lance has three INTs. That's to say nothing of the most recent preseason, in which Lance was a turnover-worthy-throw machine.

There's no doubt that Cohn and Lombardi are on polar ends of this issue. And neither of them is a reliable source. But as Harry notes, Lombardi is posting to objective facts. Grant is going on anecdotal evidence in which he doesn't have the full picture.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,252

Post#100 » by thesack12 » Fri Sep 15, 2023 10:07 pm

Read on Twitter

But yeah, Purdy is just a product of the players around him and Shanahan's system.

Return to San Francisco 49ers