CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Re: The Trey Lance thread 

Post#841 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Sep 6, 2023 7:19 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Of course he didn’t develop. He only played 5 quarters of regular season ball as the starter. All young guys need time to figure it out. Don’t you remember how long it took Alex Smith to get good?

Alex Smith played under some horrible coaches and teams and Alex Smith developed into a mid-tier QB at that. And the FO and Shanahan certainly felt that Lance was not coming along the way they wanted him to. The reports coming out of camp were not good.

Who cares. Some guys just take longer to develop. A guy with Lances physical abilities deserves a longer timeline due to his ceiling.

Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts are recent case studies of physically gifted QBs with some mechanical issues and other questions who were slow to develop, saw a lot of questions raised about their abilities, and then played at an elite level in year three. I would have thought those success stories were on our FO's minds when they picked Lance, and that they would stay on their minds, but apparently not. Got to hope they were right about Lance - not that I wish ill on him, but he's a Cowboy now - but even in that case, it means they were really, really wrong when they drafted him.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,477

Post#842 » by Big J » Wed Sep 6, 2023 7:48 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Alex Smith played under some horrible coaches and teams and Alex Smith developed into a mid-tier QB at that. And the FO and Shanahan certainly felt that Lance was not coming along the way they wanted him to. The reports coming out of camp were not good.

Who cares. Some guys just take longer to develop. A guy with Lances physical abilities deserves a longer timeline due to his ceiling.

Josh Allen and Jalen Hurts are recent case studies of physically gifted QBs with some mechanical issues and other questions who were slow to develop, saw a lot of questions raised about their abilities, and then played at an elite level in year three. I would have thought those success stories were on our FO's minds when they picked Lance, and that they would stay on their minds, but apparently not. Got to hope they were right about Lance - not that I wish ill on him, but he's a Cowboy now - but even in that case, it means they were really, really wrong when they drafted him.

Gotta wonder why Kyle got so defensive when he was asked if it was a weird situation.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#843 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 8:12 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Of course he didn’t develop. He only played 5 quarters of regular season ball as the starter. All young guys need time to figure it out. Don’t you remember how long it took Alex Smith to get good?

Trey Lance was in a better environment to develop than Alex Smith. You say he deserves it based on a ceiling you see but the coaches did not see that same ceiling. They felt Lance was not the guy they thought they were getting when they drafted him.
Big J
General Manager

Post#844 » by Big J » Wed Sep 6, 2023 8:26 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Trey Lance was in a better environment to develop than Alex Smith. You say he deserves it based on a ceiling you see but the coaches did not see that same ceiling. They felt Lance was not the guy they thought they were getting when they drafted him.

He wasn't in a better environment to develop than Alex Smith bro. Alex Smith started every single game from the time he joined the squad until he left the team. He also got a lions share of the practice reps. Lance got neither of those things.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#845 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:21 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

He wasn't in a better environment to develop than Alex Smith bro. Alex Smith started every single game from the time he joined the squad until he left the team. He also got a lions share of the practice reps. Lance got neither of those things.

Are you kidding? Alex Smith had six different coordinators. Things went to crap after Norv Turner left. From Jeff Hostler to Jimmy Raye, two of the worst 49er coordinators ever. Alex did not start every single game. Where did you get that from? He hurt his shoulder and then was benched for a long stretch. 49ers are in a far better situation. Face it, Lance didn't impress the coaches while he was in SF. He was given the starting position and failed to impress.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#846 » by thesack12 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:32 pm

I'm interested to see how the Lance narrative is going to shift if Trey finishes out his rookie contract without ever making a start for Dallas (which is not only possible, but assuming health for Dak is actually quite likely.) He's got 2 more years on that rookie contract, because as it stands currently there is no way in hell Dallas is picking up his 5th year option.

My guess is its gonna be Dallas' fault they brought Trey in to be a clear backup to Dak, and never gave him a chance.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#847 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:37 pm

thesack12 wrote:I'm interested to see how the Lance narrative is going to shift if Trey finishes out his rookie contract without ever making a start for Dallas (which is not only possible, but assuming health for Dak is actually quite likely.)

My guess is its gonna be Dallas' fault they brought Trey in to be a clear backup to Dak, and never gave him a chance.

Apparently Jerry Jones didn't seek out advice on Lance. Did it all on his own

https://fansided.com/posts/jerry-jones-cowboys-fans-cringe-trade-process
thesack12
RealGM

Post#848 » by thesack12 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:41 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:I'm interested to see how the Lance narrative is going to shift if Trey finishes out his rookie contract without ever making a start for Dallas (which is not only possible, but assuming health for Dak is actually quite likely.)

Yeah, I read that.

I get not talking to Dak about it, but to not discuss it with any of the scouts/coaches including McCarthy is.... well its an interesting approach to making personnel decisions. For all we know, Lance might not have too many fans in that building.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#849 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:53 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Yeah, I read that.

I get not talking to Dak about it, but to not discuss it with any of the scouts/coaches including McCarthy is.... well its an interesting approach to making personnel decisions. For all we know, Lance might not have too many fans in that building.

Jerry Jones almost drafted Johnny Football but was talked out of it.
Big J
General Manager

Post#850 » by Big J » Wed Sep 6, 2023 11:40 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:Trey Lance was in a better environment to develop than Alex Smith. You say he deserves it based on a ceiling you see but the coaches did not see that same ceiling. They felt Lance was not the guy they thought they were getting when they drafted him.

Are you kidding? Alex Smith had six different coordinators. Things went to crap after Norv Turner left. From Jeff Hostler to Jimmy Raye, two of the worst 49er coordinators ever. Alex did not start every single game. Where did you get that from? He hurt his shoulder and then was benched for a long stretch. 49ers are in a far better situation. Face it, Lance didn't impress the coaches while he was in SF. He was given the starting position and failed to impress.

Alex Smith was at least given room to grow. Trey played 5 **** quarters after he was given the starting job. Any QB can have a bad 5 quarter stretch. Especially someone as raw as him.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#851 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 11:50 pm

Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Alex Smith was at least given room to grow. Trey played 5 **** quarters after he was given the starting job. Any QB can have a bad 5 quarter stretch. Especially someone as raw as him.

It wasn't just five quarters. The coaching staff had him through training camp and practice to evaluate him. This goes beyond just what happens in games. The coaching staff is exposed to alot more than that.
Big J
General Manager

Post#852 » by Big J » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:02 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

It wasn't just five quarters. The coaching staff had him through training camp and practice to evaluate him. This goes beyond just what happens in games. The coaching staff is exposed to alot more than that.

That's true, but everyone knows that the best way to develop is to actually play real games. There are things you just can't simulate in practice.
Bingo_AlphaMan
General Manager
And1: 226

Post#853 » by Bingo_AlphaMan » Sat Sep 9, 2023 5:07 pm

Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:
Big J wrote:
He did all of that because he had the most elite weapons in the league & a top 5 defense. He rarely had to throw the ball more than 10 yards or pick up yards with his legs.

He shows excellent anticipation, he sets and resets with incredible quickness and reads and delivers quickly. He often looks second level before first, and most importantly he’s almost always on time. There’s a lot there to like. His upside is getting to know the offence and players, his downside is being scouted better and, yeah, he doesn’t have a cannon. But he has as much arm as many of the guys who became great qbs using the skills I mentioned above. My biggest concern, really, is that Kyle’s desire for an automaton will kill the gunslinger out of his game.

You could say all of these same things about Kirk Cousins.

Mike Shanahan: 49ers Tried to Trade No. 2 Pick to Washington for Kirk Cousins in 2017

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10088808-mike-shanahan-49ers-tried-to-trade-no-2-pick-to-washington-for-kirk-cousins-in-2017
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#854 » by CrimsonCrew » Sun Sep 10, 2023 1:01 pm

Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Big J wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:

He shows excellent anticipation, he sets and resets with incredible quickness and reads and delivers quickly. He often looks second level before first, and most importantly he’s almost always on time. There’s a lot there to like. His upside is getting to know the offence and players, his downside is being scouted better and, yeah, he doesn’t have a cannon. But he has as much arm as many of the guys who became great qbs using the skills I mentioned above. My biggest concern, really, is that Kyle’s desire for an automaton will kill the gunslinger out of his game.

You could say all of these same things about Kirk Cousins.

Mike Shanahan: 49ers Tried to Trade No. 2 Pick to Washington for Kirk Cousins in 2017

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10088808-mike-shanahan-49ers-tried-to-trade-no-2-pick-to-washington-for-kirk-cousins-in-2017

Couldn't have been worse than drafting Solomon Thomas....

Though Cousins' cap impact would have impacted other areas of the team.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#855 » by Dodub » Sun Sep 10, 2023 3:41 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Big J wrote:

I’m in the minority here, but I believe that if you trade spots with Cousins for Jimmy, we win 2 Super Bowls.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#856 » by wco81 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:04 pm

No the 49ers beat Vikings a couple of times in the playoffs because they could pressure Cousins.

He'd have had the same problem Jimmy did with pressure, especially up the middle.

And he wouldn't have had the WRs he's had in Minnesota, who are better than the 49ers WRs.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#857 » by thesack12 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 4:06 pm

Yeah, I'm happy that Cousins trade didn't materialize. Dude has never won a damn thing, and consistently melts in prime time/ big spots.
Big J
General Manager

Post#858 » by Big J » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:16 pm

Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:

I’m in the minority here, but I believe that if you trade spots with Cousins for Jimmy, we win 2 Super Bowls.

Tell me you aren’t familiar with Kirk Cousins in prime time without telling you aren’t familiar with Kirk Cousins in prime time.
Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Post#859 » by Dodub » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:20 pm

Big J wrote:
Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Tell me you aren’t familiar with Kirk Cousins in prime time without telling you aren’t familiar with Kirk Cousins in prime time.

I’m familiar. Jimmy G is worse.
Big J
General Manager

Post#860 » by Big J » Sun Sep 10, 2023 5:26 pm

Dodub wrote:
Big J wrote:
Dodub wrote:

I’m familiar. Jimmy G is worse.

Jimmy G made a Super Bowl and an NFC Championship game. No he’s not.

Return to San Francisco 49ers