Dodub
General Manager
And1: 516

Re: The Trey Lance thread 

Post#861 » by Dodub » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:10 pm

Big J wrote:
Dodub wrote:
Big J wrote:
Tell me you aren’t familiar with Kirk Cousins in prime time without telling you aren’t familiar with Kirk Cousins in prime time.

I’m familiar. Jimmy G is worse.

Jimmy G made a Super Bowl and an NFC Championship game. No he’s not.

Jimmy G threw 8 times in the NFC title game lol

Jimmy G was taken to the Super Bowl and NFC championship game.
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#862 » by RIPskaterdude » Sun Sep 10, 2023 8:43 pm

Dodub wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
Bingo_AlphaMan wrote:
Mike Shanahan: 49ers Tried to Trade No. 2 Pick to Washington for Kirk Cousins in 2017

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10088808-mike-shanahan-49ers-tried-to-trade-no-2-pick-to-washington-for-kirk-cousins-in-2017

Couldn't have been worse than drafting Solomon Thomas....

Though Cousins' cap impact would have impacted other areas of the team.

I’m in the minority here, but I believe that if you trade spots with Cousins for Jimmy, we win 2 Super Bowls.
They wouldn't have Bosa or Deebo with Cousins on the team though
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,479

Post#863 » by Big J » Sun Sep 10, 2023 9:59 pm

Dodub wrote:
Big J wrote:
Dodub wrote:

And Cousins just lost to Baker effing Mayfield at home.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#864 » by arich35 » Sun Sep 10, 2023 11:33 pm

Big J wrote:
Dodub wrote:
Big J wrote:

Where have you been all day?
Big J
General Manager

Post#865 » by Big J » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:08 am

arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:
Dodub wrote:

:crazy:
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 967

Post#866 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:12 am

Dodub wrote:
Big J wrote:
Dodub wrote:

Seriously. Jimmy threw 19 times in his first playoff game, a 27-10 win. He threw 8 times the next week in a 37-20 win. Then when we needed like one or two plays to salt it away in the Super Bowl, he collapsed. Couldnt' throw it over Chris Jones' outstretched hands. The following year - admittedly dealing with a serious injury - he managed to nearly choke away what seemed like an insurmountable lead by throwing an awful INT just in time to let Dallas back in. He was awful in GB. The game against the Rams was almost certainly his best playoff game, and he still wasn't very good, and just fell apart in the 4th quarter. He had a chance to at least tie, and threw one of the worst INTs you'll see.

I am by no means a Kirk Cousins fan, but to say you prefer Garoppolo over him because Cousins chokes in the playoffs is perverse. Jimmy has never had even a good playoff game, much less one where he was a difference-maker.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,247

Post#867 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:21 am

Jimmy was so awful in that playoff game in a sub zero Lambeau, that he led a game winning FG drive on the final possession. Not to mention if Kittle doesn't drop that would be TD earlier in the game, Jimmy's stat line looks quite a bit different. also, Game script in the super bowl is likely different if Kittle doesn't get called for the ticky tack offensive PI on a deep ball Jimmy dropped in the pocket on a deep bomb just before halftime.

The problem with Kurt Cousins is he routinely melts down in prime time/big spots. He doesn't win enough to even be relevant come playoff time.
arich35
General Manager

Post#868 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:00 am

Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:

We needed some of you great Brock Purdy analysis in the game thread today.
Big J
General Manager

Post#869 » by Big J » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:12 am

arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:

He was fine besides the two fumbles & the dropped pick. A lot of dink & dunking & the 1 nice td pass to ayauk. This game was won by the defense & playmakers though.
arich35
General Manager

Post#870 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:19 am

Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:

He was fine besides the two fumbles & the dropped pick. A lot of dink & dunking & the 1 nice td pass to ayauk. This game was won by the defense & playmakers though.

Big J
General Manager

Post#871 » by Big J » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:42 am

arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:

Did I say something that was untrue?
arich35
General Manager

Post#872 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:41 am

Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Is throwing 10+ yards downfield consistently dink and dunking to you? Most of his passes were not little dump offs or screens. Plus a nice scramble for a first down on 3rd and 12 and spinning out of the pocket to find Deebo for a first down.
You clearly are just blinded by your hatred for Purdy for some odd reason. You would be hard pressed not to find a QB throw at least one pass that was intercepted or could have been in a game.

Read on Twitter

Only 7 of 19 completions were within 5 yards of the LOS, over half of his completions over 10 yards. 1st touchdown he threw it about 23 yards, 2nd touchdown was 21 yards.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#873 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:26 am

arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:
arich35 wrote:

Is throwing 10+ yards downfield consistently dink and dunking to you? Most of his passes were not little dump offs or screens. Plus a nice scramble for a first down on 3rd and 12 and spinning out of the pocket to find Deebo for a first down.
You clearly are just blinded by your hatred for Purdy for some odd reason. You would be hard pressed not to find a QB throw at least one pass that was intercepted or could have been in a game.

Read on Twitter

Only 7 of 19 completions were within 5 yards of the LOS, over half of his completions over 10 yards. 1st touchdown he throw it about 23 yards, 2nd touchdown was 21 yards.

Some people get stuck on a false narrative
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#874 » by Samurai » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:55 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
arich35 wrote:
Big J wrote:

Read on Twitter

Only 7 of 19 completions were within 5 yards of the LOS, over half of his completions over 10 yards. 1st touchdown he throw it about 23 yards, 2nd touchdown was 21 yards.

Some people can't watch a game without wearing their bias-colored glasses. Makes it much easier for everything they see to fit their biased agenda. To me, it looked like Purdy hit the throws he needed to make, showed adequate mobility in the pocket to keep plays alive, and saw the open receivers he needed to see. Sounds good to me!
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#875 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:42 pm

Solid game from Purdy, especially in his first real action since the injury. He showed decisiveness, was generally accurate, was elusive. The second TD to Aiyuk in particular was a great ball. That said, there's some room for improvement. He could have been more accurate at times, I thought a few passes could have had more zip. He had a couple dangerous balls, one across the middle that Peterson came close to picking, and one across the field while scrambling that Deebo aired up to bring in. That was dicey. I thought maybe one or two more, but can't remember the details now.

Overall, definitely showed what we needed out of him. Just got to keep it up.
arich35
General Manager

Post#876 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:49 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Solid game from Purdy, especially in his first real action since the injury. He showed decisiveness, was generally accurate, was elusive. The second TD to Aiyuk in particular was a great ball. That said, there's some room for improvement. He could have been more accurate at times, I thought a few passes could have had more zip. He had a couple dangerous balls, one across the middle that Peterson came close to picking, and one across the field while scrambling that Deebo aired up to bring in. That was dicey. I thought maybe one or two more, but can't remember the details now.

Here is a clip of that play:
Read on Twitter

First, Purdy's awareness of the free defender and be able to spin out of the pocket like that and then square up his shoulders as much as possible while scrambling left is amazing. Second, I mentioned this in the game thread after this play but if you watch closely (hard to tell in full speed) Deebo shuffles his feet to the right as Purdy is squaring to throw the ball to him. If Deebo stays that looks like a much better throw, still a little off but given going to his left, a good throw. Plus there is a defender directly to the right of Deebo
Big J
General Manager

Post#877 » by Big J » Mon Sep 11, 2023 9:34 pm

Samurai wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
arich35 wrote:

Read on Twitter

Some people can't watch a game without wearing their bias-colored glasses. Makes it much easier for everything they see to fit their biased agenda. To me, it looked like Purdy hit the throws he needed to make, showed adequate mobility in the pocket to keep plays alive, and saw the open receivers he needed to see. Sounds good to me!

It's not bias-colored glasses. I will admit that he played a good game for what he is. Jimmy also had a lot of games where he hit all the little crossing routes and dump offs. The issue with Purdy is that he's going to struggle in the playoffs when teams take away the easy stuff and force him to throw deep or make plays. He also made too many mistakes when he was pressured: 2 fumbles & thew what should have been a pick.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,601

Post#878 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:16 am

arich35 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Solid game from Purdy, especially in his first real action since the injury. He showed decisiveness, was generally accurate, was elusive. The second TD to Aiyuk in particular was a great ball. That said, there's some room for improvement. He could have been more accurate at times, I thought a few passes could have had more zip. He had a couple dangerous balls, one across the middle that Peterson came close to picking, and one across the field while scrambling that Deebo aired up to bring in. That was dicey. I thought maybe one or two more, but can't remember the details now.

Here is a clip of that play:
Read on Twitter

First, Purdy's awareness of the free defender and be able to spin out of the pocket like that and then square up his shoulders as much as possible while scrambling left is amazing. Second, I mentioned this in the game thread after this play but if you watch closely (hard to tell in full speed) Deebo shuffles his feet to the right as Purdy is squaring to throw the ball to him. If Deebo stays that looks like a much better throw, still a little off but given going to his left, a good throw. Plus there is a defender directly to the right of Deebo

One thing Jimmy was elite at was flipping his hips in a blink…like world class at that…but he only seemed able to do it effectively in the pocket. While Purdy’s not quite as quick as Jimmy, he can do it from different spots, on the move, like with that play to Deebo.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
RIPskaterdude
RealGM
And1: 36,523

Post#879 » by RIPskaterdude » Tue Sep 12, 2023 4:25 am

Bet the Jets wished they traded for Lance
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#880 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:14 pm

Probably a good idea to just let this thread die, but I've never been good at heeding good ideas. Ran across this on YouTube, and thought it was quite interesting:

There have been other, similar takes. Most compelling thing to me is the total lack of pre-snap recognition that Acho and Houshmandzadeh detail. You can say all you want about needing in-game experience, live action, etc., but the inability to recognize pretty simple concepts (zone or man, cover two, etc.) is unforgivable for someone in Lance's position. He's had nothing but time to absolutely crush tape over the past year. His pre-snap recognition should be pretty darn good going into year three, regardless of how it was coming into the league. Especially when teams are running vanilla schemes with their third-stringers in the preseason.

Return to San Francisco 49ers