2017 John Lynch hired as GM & Kyle Shanahan named HC

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

I_am_1z
Starter
And1: 66

Re: 2017 John Lynch hired as GM & Kyle Shanahan named HC 

Post#1581 » by I_am_1z » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:48 am

NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:Good to see the Boo Birds are consistent at least. IIRC, after Jim Tom's 49ers shutout the Vikings, we gave up 180+ yards the next week to a guy named Antonio Brown. 49er fans were livid, " HOW DO YOU GIVE UP 180 TO ANTONIO BROWN" "THIS TEAM IS DISGRACEFUL" " FIRE BAALKE", blah blah blah. Now we have a better coach and our emotions are more tame for some reason, yet we're 0-2 instead of 1-1. But I know if this was an unpopular hire the lynch mob would already be out in full force.

Lamest post ofthe year.

1. "Fire Baalke" was the smartest phrase in the English language.
2. I've said it from the beginning: Lynch is an amateur f**k-up. PAssing on Trubisky will go down as one of the all-time blunders in the NFL unless he's purposely tanking for Rosen (which they're not). At least Cutler would've given them an actual QB.

Replacing crap with crap isn't cause for celebration.

My post was meant to point out how hypocritical 49er fans can be when their guy is in house (Kyle Shanahan). As Eric Branch pointed out, 12 of the 21 drives for the 49ers this year have been 4 plays or less...Boo Birds, where art thou?
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant
And1: 339

Post#1582 » by NinerSickness » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:27 am

I_am_1z wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:Good to see the Boo Birds are consistent at least. IIRC, after Jim Tom's 49ers shutout the Vikings, we gave up 180+ yards the next week to a guy named Antonio Brown. 49er fans were livid, " HOW DO YOU GIVE UP 180 TO ANTONIO BROWN" "THIS TEAM IS DISGRACEFUL" " FIRE BAALKE", blah blah blah. Now we have a better coach and our emotions are more tame for some reason, yet we're 0-2 instead of 1-1. But I know if this was an unpopular hire the lynch mob would already be out in full force.

Lamest post ofthe year.

2. I've said it from the beginning: Lynch is an amateur f**k-up. PAssing on Trubisky will go down as one of the all-time blunders in the NFL unless he's purposely tanking for Rosen (which they're not). At least Cutler would've given them an actual QB.

My post was meant to point out how hypocritical 49er fans can be when their guy is in house (Kyle Shanahan). As Eric Branch pointed out, 12 of the 21 drives for the 49ers this year have been 4 plays or less...Boo Birds, where art thou?

Right here booing. That's where.

Lynch pissed away the opportunity of a lifetime. He's absolutely sucked so far. Just like the GMs before him, I'm literally better at his job than he is; and I'm doing this for free.

Shannahan, on the other hand, is another issue. Nobody would win with this roster. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he was probably the best candidate of a list of "meh" candidates out there this offseason.
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#1583 » by I_am_1z » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:40 am

NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
Lamest post ofthe year.

Lynch pissed away the opportunity of a lifetime. He's absolutely sucked so far. Just like the GMs before him, I'm literally better at his job than he is; and I'm doing this for free.

Shannahan, on the other hand, is another issue. Nobody would win with this roster. I'm not a huge fan of his, but he was probably the best candidate of a list of "meh" candidates out there this offseason.

Louis Riddick as GM; Josh McDaniels as HC would have been a pipedream. It was left in the Yorks hands to make the hire. Yorks wanted Kyle Shanahan indefinitely from the sounds of it. Rumors were swirling that Louis Riddick wasn't onboard with hiring Kyle Shanahan (We might be beginning to see why). Riddick would have put all his efforts into getting McDaniels...Oh well, at least we're that much closer to having Sam Darnold!
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1584 » by NinerSickness » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:02 am

I_am_1z wrote:Oh well, at least we're that much closer to having Sam Darnold!

You misspelled Josh Rosen.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#1585 » by Jikkle » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:50 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
Lamest post ofthe year.

To be fair to Lynch it was Shanahan that passed on Trubisky. There is 0 chance Lynch passes on Mitch if Shanahan wanted him and there is 0 chance Lynch take him if Shanahan doesn't want him. And Shanahan is already on record that Beathard was the only QB he liked.

At this point I would pin the offensive players mostly on Shanahan and the defensive players mostly on Lynch and his brain trust but despite the title of GM the alpha male in the room is Shanahan.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#1586 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:20 pm

Jikkle wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

To be fair to Lynch it was Shanahan that passed on Trubisky. There is 0 chance Lynch passes on Mitch if Shanahan wanted him and there is 0 chance Lynch take him if Shanahan doesn't want him. And Shanahan is already on record that Beathard was the only QB he liked.

At this point I would pin the offensive players mostly on Shanahan and the defensive players mostly on Lynch and his brain trust but despite the title of GM the alpha male in the room is Shanahan.

Agreed. Don't know why this keeps getting pinned on Lynch when we know this was Shanahan's call. I think Shanahan did like Trubisky but not at #2. And Trubisky has not yet played a down in the NFL. He's had minimal snaps playing a college spread offense. Most of the draft pundits I've read had Trubisky either a late 1st round or 2nd round pick. So it is way premature to call passing on Trubisky a mistake. Maybe he turns out to be the next Aaron Rodgers or he might be the next Jay Cutler. We'll find out in a couple of years whether it was a mistake or not.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#1587 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:31 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:
Good to see the Boo Birds are consistent at least. IIRC, after Jim Tom's 49ers shutout the Vikings, we gave up 180+ yards the next week to a guy named Antonio Brown. 49er fans were livid, " HOW DO YOU GIVE UP 180 TO ANTONIO BROWN" "THIS TEAM IS DISGRACEFUL" " FIRE BAALKE", blah blah blah. Now we have a better coach and our emotions are more tame for some reason, yet we're 0-2 instead of 1-1. But I know if this was an unpopular hire the lynch mob would already be out in full force.

We are only two games into the season. We know what happened after that opening season victory against the Vikings. The team went to crap. Both the offense and defense were ranked near the bottom of the league. We watched the talent on the roster dwindle as most of Baalke's draft picks and free agent signings fizzled. We are in a rebuilding phase and this team is currently where it is at because of Baalke, not Lynch. The team had few choices with head coaches as top candidates did not want to work here. The organization was a big mess

At 1-1 the Jim Tom year the fans already had his head on a stake. Trent Baalke had definitely run his course, but how unlucky of him to draft all those redshirts and have none (Not that I recall) recover ahead of schedule, which is kind of the norm for athletes. I'm not sure how our training staff kept their jobs, they seem to be lousy.

I don't believe this is true. In general there weren't fans screaming for Tomsula's head after two games. I am sure there were a few as there always are as there are a few Shanahan critics right now. At that time, must of the venom was directed at Trent Baalke and Jed York for firing Harbaugh. The hiring of Tomsula was criticized by fans including myself because many felt as I felt that he was not qualified to be a head coach and he wasn't. It wasn't bad luck for Baalke to draft those redhsirts. That was his choice and strategy. But when you analyze his draft picks in total he missed way too often. He's only drafted one pro bowl player since 2012. And most of his free agent signings since then have been busts. Baalke failed to rebuild the roster. Drafting Will Redmond instead of Dak Prescott was one of many Baalke's dumb moves. He could have taken Kelce over Vance McDonald. No GM is perfect but Baalke made way too many poor decisions. Another good example of Baalke's poor decisions was Tank Carradine. Tank came from 4-3 defense as a 270 end player. Baalke had him bulk up and play interior in a 3-4 defense and that was a disaster. Then he tried to make him an outside linebacker. Martin and Thomas were complete oline busts. The list goes on and on
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1588 » by NinerSickness » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:Agreed. Don't know why this keeps getting pinned on Lynch when we know this was Shanahan's call.

No way. Lynch is the GM, not Shannahan. The buck stops at Lynch. He needed to say, "Trubisky is a future great, and I'll take 100% of the blame if he doesn't work out; but Mitch is your guy."
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#1589 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:06 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:Agreed. Don't know why this keeps getting pinned on Lynch when we know this was Shanahan's call.

No way. Lynch is the GM, not Shannahan. The buck stops at Lynch. He needed to say, "Trubisky is a future great, and I'll take 100% of the blame if he doesn't work out; but Mitch is your guy."

Lynch is the GM, but he when he was hired it was well known this was not going to be a dominant GM over coach situation. From the start, the FO wanted the head coach and GM working together on player selection and the coach sharing in selecting players just like Carroll does in Seattle. Especially with the Quarterback position. Shanahan would be much better to make that call than Lynch who has a defensive background
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1590 » by NinerSickness » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:58 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:Lynch is the GM, but he when he was hired it was well known this was not going to be a dominant GM over coach situation. From the start, the FO wanted the head coach and GM working together on player selection and the coach sharing in selecting players just like Carroll does in Seattle. Especially with the Quarterback position. Shanahan would be much better to make that call than Lynch who has a defensive background

Then he's f***ing useless! If he can't evaluate QB play by himself and pick the best player irrespective of what the coaches say, then he needs to go into broadcasting. Dude's an amateur and a f**k up.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#1591 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:56 pm

NinerSickness wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:Lynch is the GM, but he when he was hired it was well known this was not going to be a dominant GM over coach situation. From the start, the FO wanted the head coach and GM working together on player selection and the coach sharing in selecting players just like Carroll does in Seattle. Especially with the Quarterback position. Shanahan would be much better to make that call than Lynch who has a defensive background

Then he's f***ing useless! If he can't evaluate QB play by himself and pick the best player irrespective of what the coaches say, then he needs to go into broadcasting. Dude's an amateur and a f**k up.

Who is better to evaluate QB play? A former safety or a offensive Coordinator and quarterback coach? Sometimes it is better to seek the advice of people better suited to that side of the ball than think you know it all yourself
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#1592 » by Pattersonca65 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:58 pm

I_am_1z wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:
I_am_1z wrote:

Louis Riddick as GM; Josh McDaniels as HC would have been a pipedream. It was left in the Yorks hands to make the hire. Yorks wanted Kyle Shanahan indefinitely from the sounds of it. Rumors were swirling that Louis Riddick wasn't onboard with hiring Kyle Shanahan (We might be beginning to see why). Riddick would have put all his efforts into getting McDaniels...Oh well, at least we're that much closer to having Sam Darnold!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/49ers-nearly-landed-patriots-combo-of-coach-and-gm-during-offseason-search/
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1593 » by NinerSickness » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:45 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:Who is better to evaluate QB play? A former safety or a offensive Coordinator and quarterback coach?

If the answer is your coach, you hired a s**t GM. Evaluating play is his entire job. He doesn't have to teach them or scheme; he just has to pick the best players.
Pattersonca65
Analyst

Post#1594 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:42 am

NinerSickness wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:Who is better to evaluate QB play? A former safety or a offensive Coordinator and quarterback coach?

If the answer is your coach, you hired a s**t GM. Evaluating play is his entire job. He doesn't have to teach them or scheme; he just has to pick the best players.

That. Is bull. Both.Pete Carroll and Bill Belicheck both have a significant influence on player selection. So did Bill walsh
I_am_1z
Starter

Post#1595 » by I_am_1z » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:23 am

NinerSickness wrote:

It was clearly Shanahan's choice not to go with Tribiscuits. He also got Beathard and Joe Williams in the middle rounds. This was pretty much his draft to own up to
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#1596 » by RedneckNiner » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:05 am

Sick you have moved into the realm of the absurd you do not do any GMs job better than they do. Trubusty might end up being a great QB or he might prove to be a one year college starter wonder. So far all he has done is look good playing in preseason against future Walmart employees. Would I have risked drafting him over Thomas maybe... Over Thomas and Foster HELL NO. Shanahan is the offensive guru and he is on record saying Beathard was his qb in his daft. Seeing as he has had more success running offenses than any of us on this board I will concede he knows more until proven otherwise. Second I have faith Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield will all end up being better NFL QBs than Trubusty. It is one thing to express your opinion on players and some we are right on some we are wrong on. But for 3 games into a season its a bit early. As for Tomfoola I was voicing my hatred of him as head coach from the second he was hired. Because he was nothing but a yessir masa Jeddy yessir Massa Trent tool. He was the head coach because Jeddy and Trenty were butthurt that Harbs got all the credit for winning and they didn't get any period. Their egos couldn't handle someone playing with their toy better than they could. So they hired Tomsula and it worked out as expected by anyone with a brain. Shanahan is the coach I hope for maybe I'm wrong time will tell. Lynch wasn't my first choice but my first few choices withdrew.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#1597 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:08 am

Plus Tomsula was a snitch wasn't he?
RedneckNiner
Veteran
And1: 104

Post#1598 » by RedneckNiner » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:08 am

Not to Mention Sick you are under the delusion that the genius who drafted Tebow in the first round would have drafted Trubusty no he would have traded for Garcrapolo.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1599 » by NinerSickness » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:25 am

Pattersonca65 wrote:
NinerSickness wrote:

That. Is bull. Both.Pete Carroll and Bill Belicheck both have a significant influence on player selection. So did Bill walsh

Belichick is also the GM. Shannahan is not.

And having influence doesn't mean the buck doesn't stop at you. If you're a GM who defers to someone else, then you shouldn't be the GM. You consider advice, but the buck stops at you. Lynch is a failure.
NinerSickness
Lead Assistant

Post#1600 » by NinerSickness » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:26 am

RedneckNiner wrote:Not to Mention Sick you are under the delusion that the genius who drafted Tebow in the first round would have drafted Trubusty no he would have traded for Garcrapolo.

WTF are you even talking about?

Return to San Francisco 49ers