ImageImageImageImageImage

49ers vs. Los Angeles Rams

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Re: 49ers vs. Los Angeles Rams 

Post#381 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:38 am

Pretty sure Shanahan said today that they expect Williams to be back. K'Waun, that is.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#382 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:41 am

Sounds like KW could have played this week but didn't feel physically ready, so he should be back.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#383 » by Jikkle » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:54 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Re: Shanahan and some of the critiques that were flying around here when we looked certain to lose (including my own), one important thing to consider in terms of Shanahan and Lynch is the buy-in they get from the players. By all accounts, we have an excellent locker room. The guys seem to get along, they put in the work, and there's no quit to them. Now, we may have late breakdowns that cost us games, but it's not from guys giving up. And we've taken on some reclamation projects - Arden Key the most prominent - that have worked out really well.

That obviously doesn't eliminate some of Shanahan's less-than-stellar elements, but there's little doubt that, if he was on the hot seat, he's off it for at least another year following this win. Unless we have an outright collapse against Dallas.

Shanahan has been a mixed bag but I'd say he's been more good than bad despite the record.

He's still one of the best offensive minds in football but he does make some pretty questionable decisions and he does tend to be aggressive at the wrong times and conservative at the worst times.

This season he really came close to it blowing up in his face because starting Jimmy G over Lance and not making the playoffs would've been a terrible waste of a season.

I think how hot his seat gets is going to be determined by Lance and making the playoffs this season probably buys him at least another two seasons. Shanahan and Lynch despite their flaws are the best thing that's happened to Jed since he's been in control of the team so I don't see him being eager to fire either one of them. The franchise's reputation and thus Jed's reputation was in the toilet after 2015 but with Shanahan and Lynch bringing stability and professionalism to the team it's gone a long way to rehabbing the team's image.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#384 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:52 pm

Jikkle wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Re: Shanahan and some of the critiques that were flying around here when we looked certain to lose (including my own), one important thing to consider in terms of Shanahan and Lynch is the buy-in they get from the players. By all accounts, we have an excellent locker room. The guys seem to get along, they put in the work, and there's no quit to them. Now, we may have late breakdowns that cost us games, but it's not from guys giving up. And we've taken on some reclamation projects - Arden Key the most prominent - that have worked out really well.

That obviously doesn't eliminate some of Shanahan's less-than-stellar elements, but there's little doubt that, if he was on the hot seat, he's off it for at least another year following this win. Unless we have an outright collapse against Dallas.

Shanahan has been a mixed bag but I'd say he's been more good than bad despite the record.

He's still one of the best offensive minds in football but he does make some pretty questionable decisions and he does tend to be aggressive at the wrong times and conservative at the worst times.

This season he really came close to it blowing up in his face because starting Jimmy G over Lance and not making the playoffs would've been a terrible waste of a season.

I think how hot his seat gets is going to be determined by Lance and making the playoffs this season probably buys him at least another two seasons. Shanahan and Lynch despite their flaws are the best thing that's happened to Jed since he's been in control of the team so I don't see him being eager to fire either one of them. The franchise's reputation and thus Jed's reputation was in the toilet after 2015 but with Shanahan and Lynch bringing stability and professionalism to the team it's gone a long way to rehabbing the team's image.

No Harbaugh was the most competent coach.

Unfortunately, he had to fight the GM, front office and ownership.

Who knows how Harbaugh would do if he had the final word on player personnel like Shanahan?

He might not have done better but on game day, Harbaugh was way better than Shanahan has been and he gets the players to buy in.

We may soon see Harbaugh back in the NFL so it should be interesting if he can replicate his success on another NFL team.
zman1
Pro Prospect
And1: 128

Post#385 » by zman1 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:57 pm

Just watched the game tying touchdown again. What a play design. Aikman pointed out how two guys went with aiyuk. But deebo also motioned to the nearside and two rams went with : 4 on 2 and zero on 1. Touchdown

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
wco81
RealGM

Post#386 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:38 pm

zman1 wrote:Just watched the game tying touchdown again. What a play design. Aikman pointed out how two guys went with aiyuk. But deebo also motioned to the nearside and two rams went with : 4 on 2 and zero on 1. Touchdown

Yeah I definitely recall Deebo going to the sideline, as if to go for a screen pass.

I would think Kittle would have drawn a lot of attention too.

But it's clear they were going to Jennings on one on one matchups and a couple of them, to get first downs, were simple passes but Jimmy had to be absolutely on time and accurate and throw with some velocity for these little shallow outs which gave Jennings a chance to get good RAC yards.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#387 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:46 pm

wco81 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:

No Harbaugh was the most competent coach.

Unfortunately, he had to fight the GM, front office and ownership.

Who knows how Harbaugh would do if he had the final word on player personnel like Shanahan?

He might not have done better but on game day, Harbaugh was way better than Shanahan has been and he gets the players to buy in.

We may soon see Harbaugh back in the NFL so it should be interesting if he can replicate his success on another NFL team.

I agree that Harbaugh was a more competent HC, at least in terms of getting his teams to consistently execute. His teams, if anything, tended to overperform, while I feel that Shanahan's have underperformed. That said, Harbaugh had his own issues. He wore down the people around him, and although there are legitimate questions about Baalke's personnel additions, Harbaugh didn't develop talent really at all. He started with an elite roster (minus the QB position, which is, admittedly, a big one), and then year-by-year it got worse as talent departed and wasn't replaced.

Shanahan and Lynch have plenty to answer for in terms of personnel acquisition, especially with high picks, but they have also shown a real ability to find develop gems. Shanahan has done a really good job of bringing in position coaches who are excellent at developing players, and we have seen guys at multiple positions play well above their pedigree, including disappointing players from other teams. With Harbaugh, it was the opposite, where guys would do little for the 49ers, then leave and be better players elsewhere.

I think Shanahan has some of the makings of a really good head coach. I just wish he was a little more humble and was willing to accept help in certain areas.
wco81
RealGM

Post#388 » by wco81 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:38 pm

I'm not sure I agree that Harbaugh didn't develop talent

He got a lot of production out of Kaepernick. Almost won a SB with him.

Also, while Willis was an established star, he got better under Harbaugh, particularly Fangio who game planned to make them so effective.

Bowman was on the roster but he became a full-time starter and an All-Pro from 2011-2015, when Harbaugh and Fangio coached the team. Maybe he was already on that trajectory though I have absolutely ZERO confidence that he would have been the same player if the team kept on Singletary or horrors, hired Tomsula (who was interim HC in the 2010 season).

Other players who had the BEST seasons under Harbaugh include veterans like Ahmad Brooks (All Pro in 2012 and 2013).

And we can't forget Aldon Smith, who played 50 games under Harbaugh and had 44 sacks and 81 QB hits.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#389 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:22 am

wco81 wrote:I'm not sure I agree that Harbaugh didn't develop talent

Also, while Willis was an established star, he got better under Harbaugh, particularly Fangio who game planned to make them so effective.

Bowman was on the roster but he became a full-time starter and an All-Pro from 2011-2015, when Harbaugh and Fangio coached the team. Maybe he was already on that trajectory though I have absolutely ZERO confidence that he would have been the same player if the team kept on Singletary or horrors, hired Tomsula (who was interim HC in the 2010 season).

Other players who had the BEST seasons under Harbaugh include veterans like Ahmad Brooks (All Pro in 2012 and 2013).

And we can't forget Aldon Smith, who played 50 games under Harbaugh and had 44 sacks and 81 QB hits.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that any of them were developed under Harbaugh. Willis was already elite. Sure, Fangio's defense arguably elevated his play, but he was already a great player. Bowman had shown flashes, which he realized under Harbaugh. Brooks elevated his game when surrounded by talent, but I don't think we can really say he was developed by Harbaugh. Aldon Smith was great from day one.

And I'd argue Colin Kaepernick was basically the same guy in 2011 that he was when he played in his last game in the league. Kaepernick's whole issue was that he never really developed at all. He was all raw physical talent.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#390 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:33 am

And I've got to say, Tomsula gets a bad rap. He was a little hapless at times, but the dude took an 8-8 team that lost Frank Gore, Michael Crabtree, Vernon Davis after six games, Mike Iupati, Justin Smith, Ray McDonald, Patrick Willis (granted he only played six games the year prior), Aldon Smith (also only six games), Chris Borland, and Antoine Bethea, started Blaine Gabbert for half the season, and still went 5-11. The 2015 49ers offseason is one of the great talent drains in the history of the league. The team won two games the following year with arguably better talent.
wco81
RealGM

Post#391 » by wco81 » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:59 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:

I think you'd be hard-pressed to say that any of them were developed under Harbaugh. Willis was already elite. Sure, Fangio's defense arguably elevated his play, but he was already a great player. Bowman had shown flashes, which he realized under Harbaugh. Brooks elevated his game when surrounded by talent, but I don't think we can really say he was developed by Harbaugh. Aldon Smith was great from day one.

And I'd argue Colin Kaepernick was basically the same guy in 2011 that he was when he played in his last game in the league. Kaepernick's whole issue was that he never really developed at all. He was all raw physical talent.

Willis is just putting up great stats on a losing team without Harbaugh.

Getting players to be more productive is job #1 for head coaches, put players in the best position to perform.

Yeah Kaepernick didn't improve after his first couple of seasons as a starter. They did try to make him drop back more. But by then, the front office and the owner were actively trying to undermine Harbaugh, with that rat fink MFer Tomsula spying against Harbaugh.

But lets see if Shanahan will coach up Trey to lead the team into the Super Bowl. Shanahan is an offensive genius, though I don't know which QB he developed.

Bowman played all 15 games in 2010, started just 1. I don't know how many snaps he got that year compared to the years when he was starting.

But his production in 2010 was like 1/4 or 1/3 of 2011.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BowmNa99.htm

Of course a lot has to do with DL play and overall defensive scheme, which unleashed Willis and Bowman, maximized their speed.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#392 » by CrimsonCrew » Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:19 pm

wco81 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Getting players to be more productive is job #1 for head coaches, put players in the best position to perform.

Yeah Kaepernick didn't improve after his first couple of seasons as a starter. They did try to make him drop back more. But by then, the front office and the owner were actively trying to undermine Harbaugh, with that rat fink MFer Tomsula spying against Harbaugh.

But lets see if Shanahan will coach up Trey to lead the team into the Super Bowl. Shanahan is an offensive genius, though I don't know which QB he developed.

Bowman played all 15 games in 2010, started just 1. I don't know how many snaps he got that year compared to the years when he was starting.

Of course a lot has to do with DL play and overall defensive scheme, which unleashed Willis and Bowman, maximized their speed.

Harbaugh did a good job of maximizing talent on the field, but that's different from truly developing players. He didn't do much of that. Other than his personality, that was probably his biggest weakness, and he had plenty of strengths, but it is one area where Shanahan and Co. are clearly superior IMO.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#393 » by zman1 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:43 pm

Yesterday afternoon Wednesday I caught a rams radio show.. it was amazing that 3 days later they were still focused on what a demoralizing loss Sunday was to them. We stole their souls.

CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#394 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:49 pm

Big Trent back at practice. Great news. Looking for about 40 rushes this week.
zman1
Pro Prospect

Post#395 » by zman1 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:25 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Big Trent back at practice. Great news. Looking for about 40 rushes this week.
That is great news. Sounds like they're not great on run defense and we ought to be able to run well. Key to a win likely.

Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#396 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:22 pm

Kaepernick regressed under Harbaugh. Kaepernick hit the NFL by storm in 2012 but he was never able to adapt as defenses adapted to him. It may not be Harbaugh's fault but it started happening under his watch. Aldon Smith was a great talent and a rare hit by Baalke but not sure how much development on the defensive side can be credited to Harbaugh. Harbaugh was a good coach. His best asset being a motivator and getting guys to play hard. But his weakness is Shanahan's strength. Harbaugh was never even an OC at the NFL level and at times he was outcoached. Harbaugh inherited a talented 49ers team. Most of the roster pieces were already in place. Shanahan inherited one of the worst rosters in the NFL and biggest dumpster fires. His task was far larger
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#397 » by Pattersonca65 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:24 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
wco81 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Harbaugh did a good job of maximizing talent on the field, but that's different from truly developing players. He didn't do much of that. Other than his personality, that was probably his biggest weakness, and he had plenty of strengths, but it is one area where Shanahan and Co. are clearly superior IMO.

Harbaugh's other big weaknesses was X's and O's . That was never his forte. Heck he couldn't even get plays in on time.

Return to San Francisco 49ers