ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 1 49ers @ Bears Post Game thread

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Week 1 49ers @ Bears Post Game thread 

Post#1 » by Jikkle » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:15 am

Now that things have settled and stats and information are coming out I'll throw my thoughts on the game.

Already talked about Lance in the Lance thread so won't rehash it here.

Thought overall this was your quintessential team loss and you can't really point to one thing but multiple things that contributed to the loss.

The biggest reason I'd say for the loss was penalties. Outside a couple busted plays the defense had completely shut down the Bears offense. Two of the Bears' scoring drives should've been punts but each drive had a penalty on 3rd down that gave the Bears a free 1st down and free yards.

This game wasn't one of Shanahan's finest moments. He didn't really adjust his play calling all that well and I thought he had another one of his moments where he's just too conservative and plays not to lose rather than going for the jugular.

I just don't love all the power-type runs with Lance. He takes way too much punishment and it really doesn't give him a good chance to slide and protect himself. I don't hate they are running with Lance I just wish it was less power and more open space so he can slide or get out of bounds to avoid punishment.

It was a bad weather game with an inexperienced QB so I'm not majorly down on his plan but there was a point when the rain wasn't bad and Lance was hitting guys. I thought that was the moment they should've dialed up the passing attack and started hitting Aiyuk etc. How many times did we run the play action boot that was completely covered and Lance had no choice but to throw in the dirt? After a couple times of it not fooling anybody they should've tried something else.

Now to be fair to Kyle the offensive line probably didn't help matters at all when you look at this stat:

Read on Twitter

That's just not going to cut it and as much focus that's been on Lance the real concern is the offensive line and always has been. We're not winning jack squat if the offensive line doesn't get better.

I mean that's almost half of Lance's dropbacks he got pressure from just a 4 man rush. Of course the passing attack isn't going to look great if the line isn't giving him time to sift through 7 defensive players in coverage to find an open man.

Overall the offensive line was really my biggest concern coming out of this game going forward and hopefully it's the fact everyone is new inside and haven't completely gelled yet.

Return to San Francisco 49ers