Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Re: Week 10: Chargers @ 49ers 

Post#381 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:40 pm

Read on Twitter

Yesterday Kyle said "his goal was to have about even carries moving forward."

Of course CMC will play the lion's share of snaps in passing/2 minute drill situations, but this is a sound strategy. Will help keep both guys fresh and reduce the wear an tear on them. Which is obviously a good thing when the intentions are to make another deep playoff run.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#382 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Nov 15, 2022 7:40 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Crediting Jimmy with a completion on the Aiyuk drop gets complicated. Yes, it was a catchable ball that Aiyuk needs to bring in, but it was also behind him and a bit difficult to corral. And counterfactual stuff like this gets tricky. For instance, at least one of Jennings' first downs was not a first down until he broke about three tackles. If Jimmy gets credit for Aiyuk's drop, does he lose credit when the WR basically wills his way to a first down? This is just part of why raw stats in football, especially, just don't always capture the full picture. Especially in small samples.

Aiyuk went vertical for at least two balls that very easily could have been incompletions early in the game. Can't recall if they were on third down. But again, I would say that wasn't a great play for Jimmy (the first in particular looked really dangerous if Aiyuk didn't bring it in or, worse, if he got a hand on it but couldn't catch it).
thesack12
RealGM

Post#383 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:12 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Crediting Jimmy with a completion on the Aiyuk drop gets complicated. Yes, it was a catchable ball that Aiyuk needs to bring in, but it was also behind him and a bit difficult to corral. And counterfactual stuff like this gets tricky. For instance, at least one of Jennings' first downs was not a first down until he broke about three tackles. If Jimmy gets credit for Aiyuk's drop, does he lose credit when the WR basically wills his way to a first down? This is just part of why raw stats in football, especially, just don't always capture the full picture. Especially in small samples.

Aiyuk went vertical for at least two balls that very easily could have been incompletions early in the game. Can't recall if they were on third down. But again, I would say that wasn't a great play for Jimmy (the first in particular looked really dangerous if Aiyuk didn't bring it in or, worse, if he got a hand on it but couldn't catch it).

https://www.nfl.com/videos/aiyuk-drops-garoppolo-s-would-be-td-pass-after-running-epic-route

That play is on Aiyuk.

That's a ball you 100% expect an NFL WR to catch. Aiyuk almost completely whiffs on it, he barely even touched the ball.

Also check/pause the 18-19 second mark and look how close #69 is to batting that pass down. If Jimmy puts that ball even a couple more inches inside (the direction Aiyuk was breaking into) that pass gets swatted down at the line of scrimmage.

I think you are exaggerating how high those other balls were. Yes Aiyuk went up to get them but he was also able to still stay on the move and pick up YAC afterwards so his body positioning was not compromised a great deal. Its not like he was out there making catches like Justin Jefferson had on 4th down last week.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#384 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:03 pm

thesack12 wrote:https://www.nfl.com/videos/aiyuk-drops-garoppolo-s-would-be-td-pass-after-running-epic-route

That play is on Aiyuk.

That's a ball you 100% expect an NFL WR to catch. Aiyuk almost completely whiffs on it, he barely even touched the ball.

Also check/pause the 18-19 second mark and look how close #69 is to batting that pass down. If Jimmy puts that ball even a couple more inches inside (the direction Aiyuk was breaking into) that pass gets swatted down at the line of scrimmage.

I think you are exaggerating how high those other balls were. Yes Aiyuk went up to get them but he was also able to still stay on the move and pick up YAC afterwards so his body positioning was not compromised a great deal. Its not like he was out there making catches like Justin Jefferson had on 4th down last week.

He almost completely whiffs on it because he's expecting it in front and it's a foot behind him. I'm not saying he shouldn't have caught it, just that it wasn't a gimme ball. It's really hard for receivers on short crossers to catch balls behind them.

Re: the high ball I'm thinking of, it's at just about the one minute mark here:

Keep in mind that Aiyuk has freakishly long arms. And look, it's a ball he should catch, and it led him nicely, it was just dangerously high. I don't know that Deebo catches that ball, and if it gets tipped up, it's a really dangerous play.

Overall, Jimmy had another solid game. He calmed down and threw the ball better as the game went on. He had a couple really nice throws, including the deeper ball to McCloud and the out to...I can't remember who. Perhaps most importantly, he didn't make any completely boneheaded throws. And he even took responsibility for a sack after the game! He's been playing well, all things considered.

My criticism of the offense is meant to be directed primarily at Shanahan. I think he's still struggling as a playcaller, and his team still has major lapses in execution.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#385 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:10 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
thesack12 wrote:https://www.nfl.com/videos/aiyuk-drops-garoppolo-s-would-be-td-pass-after-running-epic-route

That play is on Aiyuk.

He almost completely whiffs on it because he's expecting it in front and it's a foot behind him. I'm not saying he shouldn't have caught it, just that it wasn't a gimme ball. It's really hard for receivers on short crossers to catch balls behind them.

Keep in mind that Aiyuk has freakishly long arms. And look, it's a ball he should catch, and it led him nicely, it was just dangerously high. I don't know that Deebo catches that ball, and if it gets tipped up, it's a really dangerous play.

Overall, Jimmy had another solid game. He calmed down and threw the ball better as the game went on. He had a couple really nice throws, including the deeper ball to McCloud and the out to...I can't remember who. Perhaps most importantly, he didn't make any completely boneheaded throws. And he even took responsibility for a sack after the game! He's been playing well, all things considered.

My criticism of the offense is meant to be directed primarily at Shanahan. I think he's still struggling as a playcaller, and his team still has major lapses in execution.

The fumble is right before 2:30, and it's a similar ball. Aiyuk should and did catch it, but he really had to extend for it and it put him in tough position. Certainly not pinning the fumble on Jimmy, but I do think Aiyuk wasn't able to secure the ball as well as he might have with a more accurate pass.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#386 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:11 pm

Re-watching some of those highlights, our red zone offense needs to improve dramatically. No one can stop us between the 20s, but we kept stalling out in the red zone. Can't win with that in the playoffs.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#387 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:33 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

That play is on Aiyuk.

The fumble is right before 2:30, and it's a similar ball. Aiyuk should and did catch it, but he really had to extend for it and it put him in tough position. Certainly not pinning the fumble on Jimmy, but I do think Aiyuk wasn't able to secure the ball as well as he might have with a more accurate pass.

Aiyuk whiffed on the ball because of his hand position. For some reason he tried to make a cradle type catch, he needs to get his palms out and open to the ball there. Also, as I pointed out earlier Jimmy couldn't have thrown that ball any more out in front of Aiyuk, or else it would have got batted down.

Really need to see the end zone view to make a truly accurate assessment, but on that first play yes Aiyuk makes the catch over his head, but it looks like he really didn't have to jump. Its kind of hard to tell because the camera is in the process of catching up to the ball as the catch is made, but it does appear that it hits him in stride and Brandon is able to keep his momentum and stay moving up the field. It was a high pass, but it wasn't a bad ball.

The pass on the fumble play looks to a bit higher ball than other one. But I don't think that played a part in the fumble. Aiyuk had time to tuck the ball and still turned to move up field. The fumble was partially a product of bad luck, since when Aiyuk was spun and thrown down the ball hit another defender's helmet dead square which popped it out. That said, you want to see Aiyuk cover up when he's in heavy traffic like that. I believe the coaching staff told him as much, because he seemed to make it a point to cover up on his catches later in the game. I made a comment in the game thread mentioning him covering up later in the game.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#388 » by thesack12 » Tue Nov 15, 2022 9:37 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Re-watching some of those highlights, our red zone offense needs to improve dramatically. No one can stop us between the 20s, but we kept stalling out in the red zone. Can't win with that in the playoffs.

Yep, red zone conversion has been pretty bad. I think Kyle's playcalling in those situations has largely been questionable and predictable.

In order for this offense to step it up to the required level needed to make a Super Bowl run. Redzone efficiency needs to take a drastic uptick. They also need to substantially decrease the dropped passes. Drops have killed this team so far, and they are easily in the bottom 5 in that regard. In all of quantity, rate, and expected points lost.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#389 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:24 pm

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:

Aiyuk whiffed on the ball because of his hand position. For some reason he tried to make a cradle type catch, he needs to get his palms out and open to the ball there. Also, as I pointed out earlier Jimmy couldn't have thrown that ball any more out in front of Aiyuk, or else it would have got batted down.

Really need to see the end zone view to make a truly accurate assessment, but on that first play yes Aiyuk makes the catch over his head, but it looks like he really didn't have to jump. Its kind of hard to tell because the camera is in the process of catching up to the ball as the catch is made, but it does appear that it hits him in stride and Brandon is able to keep his momentum and stay moving up the field. It was a high pass, but it wasn't a bad ball.

The pass on the fumble play looks to a bit higher ball than other one. But I don't think that played a part in the fumble. Aiyuk had time to tuck the ball and still turned to move up field. The fumble was partially a product of bad luck, since when Aiyuk was spun and thrown down the ball hit another defender's helmet dead square which popped it out. That said, you want to see Aiyuk cover up when he's in heavy traffic like that. I believe the coaching staff told him as much, because he seemed to make it a point to cover up on his catches later in the game. I made a comment in the game thread mentioning him covering up later in the game.

Yes, the passing lane most likely isn't there for Garoppolo to put it where it needs to go. And Aiyuk doesn't get his hands in the ideal position, but again, he's not expecting the ball back there and it's really awkward to reach backward in the overhand manner you're describing.

We're really quibbling here (a habit of ours...), but I don't think Aiyuk could have brought that first leaping ball in without jumping. If he wasn't at full arm extension, it was close. I agree the fumble is not on Jimmy and is mostly bad luck, but I do wonder if he might have secured it better with just a split second more time before the defender made contact. Probably doesn't make a big difference, and sometimes the ball just takes a tough bounce.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#390 » by Samurai » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:40 am

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Re-watching some of those highlights, our red zone offense needs to improve dramatically. No one can stop us between the 20s, but we kept stalling out in the red zone. Can't win with that in the playoffs.

Yep, red zone conversion has been pretty bad. I think Kyle's playcalling in those situations has largely been questionable and predictable.

In order for this offense to step it up to the required level needed to make a Super Bowl run. Redzone efficiency needs to take a drastic uptick. They also need to substantially decrease the dropped passes. Drops have killed this team so far, and they are easily in the bottom 5 in that regard. In all of quantity, rate, and expected points lost.

CMC has a nose for the endzone (19 TD's in 2019; 15 rushing and 4 receiving). Having him along with Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk and Jennings, we have a plethora of scoring options in the redzone. Sometimes a person has to be big enough to admit that he isn't perfect and doesn't have all the answers. Maybe Kyle should seek assistance from his staff on play-calling in the redzone if that isn't his strong suit.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#391 » by thesack12 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:09 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:Yes, the passing lane most likely isn't there for Garoppolo to put it where it needs to go. And Aiyuk doesn't get his hands in the ideal position, but again, he's not expecting the ball back there and it's really awkward to reach backward in the overhand manner you're describing.

We're really quibbling here (a habit of ours...), but I don't think Aiyuk could have brought that first leaping ball in without jumping. If he wasn't at full arm extension, it was close. I agree the fumble is not on Jimmy and is mostly bad luck, but I do wonder if he might have secured it better with just a split second more time before the defender made contact. Probably doesn't make a big difference, and sometimes the ball just takes a tough bounce.

Haha, yeah that's what we do and part of the reason why we enjoy the board.

But its so much more enjoyable to do it after a win, than after a loss :D
thesack12
RealGM

Post#392 » by thesack12 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:28 pm

Samurai wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

CMC has a nose for the endzone (19 TD's in 2019; 15 rushing and 4 receiving). Having him along with Kittle, Deebo, Aiyuk and Jennings, we have a plethora of scoring options in the redzone. Sometimes a person has to be big enough to admit that he isn't perfect and doesn't have all the answers. Maybe Kyle should seek assistance from his staff on play-calling in the redzone if that isn't his strong suit.

Yes, it does seem like they need to call more passing plays in the red area. 9ers have a plethora of weapons they can employ, which puts a lot of stress on the defense to try and cover up to 5 good receivers running routes on any given play (assuming pass protection holds up.) They really do have the ability to spread the field, which is especially valuable in red zone situations since the field is condensed.

Surprisingly the O-line has been better with pass protection and largely underwhelmed with run blocking. Which also increases the success rate of passing plays vs running plays. To piggyback on this, Kyle should probably start to utilize more passing plays on the early downs as well, regardless of field position. The running game has consitently got the offense "off schedule" and created a ton of 3rd and Longs this season. Of course this is not to say to abandon the running game, there is a lot of talent in the RB room + Deebo but not being married to trying to force the running game would do the offense some good.

As for getting help from the rest of the coaching staff, its something to consider. But compared to years past, the offensive staff isn't nearly as talented as it was. Namely, Anthony Lynn is a huge downgrade from McDaniel and likely a big reason why the running game hasn't been as desired. Garoppolo is having a really solid year, so it seems like Griese is doing a nice job as QB's coach, but I believe this is his 1st ever coaching gig of any kind, so I don't know how willing Kyle would be seek some playcalling input from him. Especially considering he hasn't had much time learning Kyle's system (although Griese did play under Mike Shanahan for a bit). Other than having a lot of coaching experiene, Same situation goes for Lynn also. He doesn't have a lot of exposure to Kyle's system, but like Griese he did play for Mike for a bit. If they still had Scangrello and Mike Lafleur around, I could see them providing some situational play calling input, but they aren't here anymore.

Return to San Francisco 49ers