ImageImageImageImageImage

Steelers Pre-Game Thread

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Steelers Pre-Game Thread 

Post#1 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 4, 2023 7:04 pm

Kittle, Gipson, and Mason not practicing but sounds like they were running on the side field
Hufanga, Greenlaw, and Moody practicing

Bosa still gone
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,584

Re: Steelers Pre-Game Thread 

Post#2 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Sep 5, 2023 5:49 pm

Was worried about this at full strength. If not…uh. Right now the line is 9ers -2.5. I am wondering how they’re accounting for Bosa in that, could shift either way as it becomes clearer whether or not he’s suiting up.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#3 » by Pattersonca65 » Tue Sep 5, 2023 6:19 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:Was worried about this at full strength. If not…uh. Right now the line is 9ers -2.5. I am wondering how they’re accounting for Bosa in that, could shift either way as it becomes clearer whether or not he’s suiting up.

Nothing to base it on other than opinion but I have a hard time envisioning Bosa playing this weekend since it is already Tuesday and he has yet to practice. Even if his contract somehow gets done quickly I have to wonder how much he can play and how effective he will be seeing as he hasn't participated in team activities this season. I am sure he is in good physical shape but he can't be in game shape yet. I would think if somehow he was available this week it would be very limited reps.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: Steelers Pre-Game 

Post#4 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Sep 5, 2023 6:23 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:Was worried about this at full strength. If not…uh. Right now the line is 9ers -2.5. I am wondering how they’re accounting for Bosa in that, could shift either way as it becomes clearer whether or not he’s suiting up.

Nothing to base it on other than opinion but I have a hard time envisioning Bosa playing this weekend since it is already Tuesday and he has yet to practice. Even if his contract somehow gets done quickly I have to wonder how much he can play and how effective he will be seeing as he hasn't participated in team activities this season. I am sure he is in good physical shape but he can't be in game shape yet. I would think if somehow he was available this week it would be very limited reps.

So Tomlin is saying he is assuming Bosa plays because one year (last?) he was prepping for no Watt and he signed on Wednesday and played. Not sure if that makes Wednesday the practical deadline or not, I could see them leaning into how self-sustaining Bosa is to stretch it the most it’s been stretched, but not hearing good things about the likelihood a deal is imminent.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#5 » by Jikkle » Wed Sep 6, 2023 8:13 am

I'd say the deadline with Bosa would be up until the team plane leaves for Pittsburg.

You can put him in there on 3rd and obvious passing situations and just pin his ears back and rush the passer. I would anticipate him being in enough shape to handle limited snaps and he's been in this defense long enough it's not like you need to gameplan him just rushing the passer.

And if we lose this game without Bosa I'd say the team has bigger problems because guys get injured all the time and yeah Bosa is important but you can't be a nonfunctional team if you lose player sans the QB position.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#6 » by Pattersonca65 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 8:15 pm

Jikkle wrote:I'd say the deadline with Bosa would be up until the team plane leaves for Pittsburg.

You can put him in there on 3rd and obvious passing situations and just pin his ears back and rush the passer. I would anticipate him being in enough shape to handle limited snaps and he's been in this defense long enough it's not like you need to gameplan him just rushing the passer.

And if we lose this game without Bosa I'd say the team has bigger problems because guys get injured all the time and yeah Bosa is important but you can't be a nonfunctional team if you lose player sans the QB position.

My fear with a guy that has not practiced football because of his holdout is soft tissue injuries.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Post#7 » by thesack12 » Wed Sep 6, 2023 10:28 pm

Very secondary news to the Bosa extension, but Ray Ray actually got cleared to practice today. Which is great news, because not only does that give him a shot of being able to play this week but it also most likely means they won't have to burn a short term IR activation on him as well.

Kittle back at practice as well, and Moody got cleared for Sunday. So a lot of positivity coming today, which is a very welcomed change of pace relative to the last 10 days or so.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#8 » by Samurai » Wed Sep 6, 2023 11:15 pm

Jikkle wrote:I'd say the deadline with Bosa would be up until the team plane leaves for Pittsburg.

Is that true? I thought I had read that this would be the first time he's ever played for Wilks and some of the other linemen were having to get acclimated to Wilks' preference for more blitzing than they are used to. Plus when we acquired Hargrave, I think Wilks mentioned then that it would be important for Hargrave and Bosa to have enough practice reps together to understand how best to work together, particularly on passing downs. So I'm not convinced that either has had enough time practicing together in this new (for the Niners) defense.
arich35
General Manager

Post#9 » by arich35 » Thu Sep 7, 2023 12:22 am

thesack12 wrote:Very secondary news to the Bosa extension, but Ray Ray actually got cleared to practice today. Which is great news, because not only does that give him a shot of being able to play this week but it also most likely means they won't have to burn a short term IR activation on him as well.

Kittle back at practice as well, and Moody got cleared for Sunday. So a lot of positivity coming today, which is a very welcomed change of pace relative to the last 10 days or so.

Huge day for the team. Good vibes going into the game
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#10 » by Samurai » Thu Sep 7, 2023 6:09 pm

Hopefully Bosa can take McKivitz to school in practice. I sense that TJ Watt will be licking his lips lining up against McKivitz and any extra practice trying to block athletic, explosive edge rushers may be important. Need to make sure we can keep Purdy in one piece.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Sep 7, 2023 6:31 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:

My fear with a guy that has not practiced football because of his holdout is soft tissue injuries.

Yeah, didn’t his big injury happen shortly into opening day? Or am I mixing them up.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#12 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 7, 2023 7:22 pm

Harry Palmer wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:

Yeah, didn’t his big injury happen shortly into opening day? Or am I mixing them up.

He tore his ACL week two of his second season against the Jets, as memory serves.
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,476

Post#13 » by Big J » Thu Sep 7, 2023 9:20 pm

Should be an easy dub with Bosa locked in.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#14 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 7, 2023 11:28 pm

Big J wrote:Should be an easy dub with Bosa locked in.

I sure hope so, but we can't sleep on the Steelers. That D is legit, the offense should be improved - though it will go as Pickett goes, and Kyle's teams have a history of struggling out the gate. This could definitely be something of a trap game.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#15 » by CrimsonCrew » Thu Sep 7, 2023 11:30 pm

FML. Mooney Ward out. Very possible we start Ambry Thomas and Isaiah Oliver if he doesn't play. That's grim.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by Harry Palmer » Thu Sep 7, 2023 11:42 pm

CrimsonCrew wrote:FML. Mooney Ward out. Very possible we start Ambry Thomas and Isaiah Oliver if he doesn't play. That's grim.

Yikes. Reasons I’d take the points and bet Steelers:

1) They were 10-6 vs the spread last year.
2) our traditional slow starts
3) Bosa and Wilks/Hargreave might have time to shake hands before Game1, but not much more than that.
4) Ward being out is big. There are other dbs who have promise, but none are anywhere near as ready or reliable.
5) has the league adjusted to Purdy?
6) snake-bit.

I won’t though. Never bet against my team.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Big J
General Manager
And1: 7,476

Post#17 » by Big J » Fri Sep 8, 2023 12:10 am

Purdy is the only one who gives me doubt in this game. He's gonna **** his pants when he sees Watt coming at him.
arich35
General Manager

Post#18 » by arich35 » Fri Sep 8, 2023 1:02 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:FML. Mooney Ward out. Very possible we start Ambry Thomas and Isaiah Oliver if he doesn't play. That's grim.

??

Read on Twitter
arich35
General Manager

Post#19 » by arich35 » Fri Sep 8, 2023 1:05 am

Big J wrote:Purdy is the only one who gives me doubt in this game. He's gonna **** his pants when he sees Watt coming at him.

Yes we know, you doubt Purdy and don't like him.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM

Post#20 » by CrimsonCrew » Fri Sep 8, 2023 1:20 am

Big J wrote:Purdy is the only one who gives me doubt in this game. He's gonna **** his pants when he sees Watt coming at him.

He held up fine when Micah Parsons was coming at him.

But I'm sure Lance would do WAY better. It's not like he completely froze up when John Jenkins, I. Rochell (not sure what his first name is...), Jordan Willis, Adam Butler, or [fill in Raider's 90-man player who did not make the active roster] was coming after him.

Return to San Francisco 49ers