ImageImageImageImageImage

Week 1: 49ers @ Steelers

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,243

Re: Week 1: 49ers @ Steelers 

Post#261 » by thesack12 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:23 am

CrimsonCrew wrote:Amazing start to the season. Early start against what I thought was a good D in Pittsburg, given the team's recent track record in week one, I was pretty worried about this one. A couple things to quibble about (McKivitz's pass-blocking, the ongoing scourge that is our KO coverage), but otherwise it felt like we were clicking in every facet. Dominating win from start to finish. Really encouraging.

Though all of a sudden the Rams look like they might actually put up a fight next week?!?!

They very well could. Or Seattle was just getting undeserved over-rated hype.

Pittsburgh sure looked undeserving of the hype they were receiving going into the season.
arich35
General Manager
And1: 820

Post#262 » by arich35 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:59 am

thesack12 wrote:
CrimsonCrew wrote:Amazing start to the season. Early start against what I thought was a good D in Pittsburg, given the team's recent track record in week one, I was pretty worried about this one. A couple things to quibble about (McKivitz's pass-blocking, the ongoing scourge that is our KO coverage), but otherwise it felt like we were clicking in every facet. Dominating win from start to finish. Really encouraging.

Though all of a sudden the Rams look like they might actually put up a fight next week?!?!

They very well could. Or Seattle was just getting undeserved over-rated hype.

Pittsburgh sure looked undeserving of the hype they were receiving going into the season.

Seattle was ripe for a let down, I know it is early but I think they will take a step back this year.
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#263 » by Jikkle » Mon Sep 11, 2023 3:57 am

Great start to the season especially given that the team under Shanahan starts the season sluggish.

Not a whole lot to complain about but I'd say the concerns going into the season aren't any less concerning after this game but the reality is there is no perfect team so every team can point to weak spots and concerns.

I know Bosa didn't have an amazing stat line and maybe I'll change my mind on a rewatch but I thought his presence alone impacted the game. The rest of the defensive line had big games because Bosa commanded the attention that he did and to me that's the reason why you invest so much into everybody else along the defensive line. Hargrave and an opposing pass rusher was needed because you had to force offenses to invest into stopping Bosa which gave others prime opportunities or they had to spread out their protections which gives Bosa better matchups. So I'll take a quiet game from Bosa if they other 3 guys along the lines eat.

Now let's see how they do against what I'd call might be a spunky Rams team. One that's still not good but can punish you if you overlook them.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#264 » by Samurai » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:40 am

I expect the Rams to put up a good fight. Fortunately they won't have Cooper Kupp, which is good news for us since our CB play is pretty shaky. We will need to double-team/chip Donald but fortunately for McKivitz, the Rams don't have a TJ Watt to worry about. If we can give Purdy some time, our receivers and running attack should be too much for the Rams to handle. And I expect Bosa to have a bigger game with a full week of practice under his belt. If we get smart and give all of Ambry Thomas' snaps to Womack, we should be able to leave LA with a satisfying win.
Soca
Veteran
And1: 845

Post#265 » by Soca » Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:39 am

Warner and Greenlaw are a special linebacker tandem. Don't take it for granted.
Pattersonca65
Analyst
And1: 208

Post#266 » by Pattersonca65 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:01 pm

Great start to the season. The only glaring issues were special teams kickoff coverage and Micivitz. He had a tough task in having to deal with TJ Watt all day but he was abused by Watt. Good seeing Moody making those field goals.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#267 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Sep 11, 2023 5:16 pm

Pattersonca65 wrote:Great start to the season. The only glaring issues were special teams kickoff coverage and Micivitz. He had a tough task in having to deal with TJ Watt all day but he was abused by Watt. Good seeing Moody making those field goals.

Yea hopefully McKivitz struggles were only because its Watt. Bit the position needs to be addressed for sure. Same with kick coverage. Going forward, hopefully Shanny gives Mitchell and Mason more carries. I thought CMC got too much yesterday.
Samurai
General Manager
And1: 2,898

Post#268 » by Samurai » Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:11 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
Pattersonca65 wrote:Great start to the season. The only glaring issues were special teams kickoff coverage and Micivitz. He had a tough task in having to deal with TJ Watt all day but he was abused by Watt. Good seeing Moody making those field goals.

Yea hopefully McKivitz struggles were only because its Watt. Bit the position needs to be addressed for sure. Same with kick coverage. Going forward, hopefully Shanny gives Mitchell and Mason more carries. I thought CMC got too much yesterday.

Sure, there's a reason why Watt is an all-pro. But it wasn't just the pass protection that is worrisome; the 4 longest runs for CMC (all over 11 yards) all came when running left. McGlinchey had his share of matador impersonations as a pass blocker but at least he was fairly reliable as a run blocker. McKivitz will need to upgrade to being adequate in the run game if he continues to be a weakness in pass blocking.

also, giving McKivitz a full week of practice blocking Bosa may sharpen up his pass blocking a bit.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#269 » by CrimsonCrew » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:48 am

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/171815-highest-lowest-graded-players-steelers-counts/

PFF grades at this link. Burford with a 28.6 and McKivitz with a 45.0. That's potentially problematic.

Oddly Warner was the lowest-rated defender at 58.9. That seems crazy, though maybe he blew a coverage or two I didn't see? I felt like he was making plays all over the field.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#270 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:27 am

If the 49ers fall short because of the OL, that Lance trade, those draft picks could have netted a playable OL or two.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,584

Post#271 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:01 am

There were lots of reasons to think this would start off badly and of those really only McKivitz played out as feared. Hard to think of a better way to start. Have said for a while that my biggest fear has been the season being defined by drafting like OL was not a need and I’m still there, but the floor seems higher even with that concern. It’s funny how we never really get to see the whole gang on the field together until the regular season starts, and then it’s like ‘oh, right.’
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,320

Post#272 » by wco81 » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:14 am

Harry Palmer wrote:There were lots of reasons to think this would start off badly and of those really only McKivitz played out as feared. Hard to think of a better way to start. Have said for a while that my biggest fear has been the season being defined by drafting like OL was not a need and I’m still there, but the floor seems higher even with that concern. It’s funny how we never really get to see the whole gang on the field together until the regular season starts, and then it’s like ‘oh, right.’

Several of the other top teams are strong in the pass rush, while the 49ers OL is potentially the critical flaw that stops them.
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#273 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:19 am

wco81 wrote:
Harry Palmer wrote:There were lots of reasons to think this would start off badly and of those really only McKivitz played out as feared. Hard to think of a better way to start. Have said for a while that my biggest fear has been the season being defined by drafting like OL was not a need and I’m still there, but the floor seems higher even with that concern. It’s funny how we never really get to see the whole gang on the field together until the regular season starts, and then it’s like ‘oh, right.’

Several of the other top teams are strong in the pass rush, while the 49ers OL is potentially the critical flaw that stops them.

Agreed that, barring our injury jinx/style of play, that’s the Achilles heal. It’s just that I think it looks more like when we’re clicking we can overcome that, possibly even against top teams.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#274 » by Harry Palmer » Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:26 am

wco81 wrote:

Agreed that, barring our injury jinx/style of play, that’s the Achilles heal. It’s just that I think it looks more like when we’re clicking we can overcome that, possibly even against top teams. No team is without any weaknesses.

-Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to San Francisco 49ers