Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

Harry Palmer
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,584

Re: Bengals @ 49ers 

Post#321 » by Harry Palmer » Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:55 pm

thesack12 wrote:
zman1 wrote:We are in big trouble. Defenses can load up and stop us from running like the last 3 games. And our d line has to dominate or our secondary gets exposed. And they have been doing anything but dominating. So we are looking real weak on both lines, a recipe for failure.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Yeah, a trade isn't going to fix the issues this team is currently going through.

They have fundamental problems, on both sides of the ball right now.

Fortunately the offense has some high end talent reinforcements on the way. But that won't matter if the QB keeps committing game deciding turnovers.

Trent is a big part of this, why he has been THE guy I have been worried about getting hurt for years. And in some not too distant future he’ll retire or break down and we have exactly zero back-up plan for that. Everyone talks about our window; imo it’s Trent.
All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

-Arthur Schopenhauer
Jikkle
Analyst
And1: 263

Post#322 » by Jikkle » Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:23 am

This officially removes the team from any Super Bowl discussions until further notice.

I know fire Wilks will be the trendy thing to say and not undeservedly so but this team has issues everywhere.

The coverage can't hold up long enough for the defensive line to get home with pressure and for whatever reason whether it's scheme, guys not playing right, or a combination of both will constantly give up easy short completions with guys covering like social distancing is in effect.

Offensively again the dollar store offensive line is a liability and keeps getting beat over and over and over again on both running the ball and pass blocking.

Purdy looks more like Jimmy G than ever and the question was how he would play if we were behind and it wasn't easy he's completely failed on at this point. I'll give him the Browns game to a certain extent because he did get them in position to kick what should've been a GW kick but the last two games he's had chances late to put the team on his shoulders and maybe win games and he's completely fallen flat.

So forget trading for anybody at the trade deadline as it'd just be a waste. They need to keep those picks and get a massive influx of young cheap talent.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#323 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:09 pm

Jikkle wrote:This officially removes the team from any Super Bowl discussions until further notice.

So forget trading for anybody at the trade deadline as it'd just be a waste. They need to keep those picks and get a massive influx of young cheap talent.

I have to agree with you. The trade will not magically solve their problems. The issues are systemic/fundamental. Nothing Wilks dials up is working. We definitely see that Bosa's long hold out has affected him, and the big money aquisition Hargrave has not been a factor last 3 games after starting well. And Purdy has come down to earth. He needs to adjust and quickly.
49er4life1979
Pro Prospect
And1: 35

Post#324 » by 49er4life1979 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:14 pm

49er4life1979 wrote:
Jikkle wrote:This officially removes the team from any Super Bowl discussions until further notice.

I have to agree with you. The trade will not magically solve their problems. The issues are systemic/fundamental. Nothing Wilks dials up is working. We definitely see that Bosa's long hold out has affected him, and the big money aquisition Hargrave has not been a factor last 3 games after starting well. Also, Oliver has not been the answer at nickel, too inconsistent. We are definitely missing someone like a K'Waun Williams or Jimmie Ward back there. And Purdy has come down to earth. He needs to adjust and quickly. Someone already mentioned this, but yea Deebo is definitely missed. He's more of a gadget player, but when he's on the field the opposing team must account for him at all times.
SK21209
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,894

Post#325 » by SK21209 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 9:31 pm

The offense definitely needs Trent back, Kyle can cover up a lot of O-Line deficiencies but we need that All-Pro anchor to be effective in the run game. And everything on offense builds off the run game. We're missing Deebo too but I think Trent might actually be the most important part of our offense, even more so than McCaffrey.

Defensively, the eye test says Bosa is having a down year and isn't winning 1-on-1s but he's tied for the league lead in pressures. Teams are getting the ball out really quickly and the secondary isn't on the same page from a coverage perspective. Hargrave has been invisible the last three games, I'm wondering if more early-down snaps for Givens and Kinlaw could help keep Armstead and Hargrave more fresh. Givens and Kinlaw were playing well to start the season. Another CB is definitely needed.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#326 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:23 pm

SK21209 wrote:The offense definitely needs Trent back, Kyle can cover up a lot of O-Line deficiencies but we need that All-Pro anchor to be effective in the run game. And everything on offense builds off the run game. We're missing Deebo too but I think Trent might actually be the most important part of our offense, even more so than McCaffrey.

Defensively, the eye test says Bosa is having a down year and isn't winning 1-on-1s but he's tied for the league lead in pressures. Teams are getting the ball out really quickly and the secondary isn't on the same page from a coverage perspective. Hargrave has been invisible the last three games, I'm wondering if more early-down snaps for Givens and Kinlaw could help keep Armstead and Hargrave more fresh. Givens and Kinlaw were playing well to start the season. Another CB is definitely needed.

This week, it felt like Bosa made an impact in the pass rush. He repeatedly had pressure and was the driving force between at least one and maybe both of Armstead's sacks. However, he repeatedly lost outside contain in the running game. Including on the TD run. I'm generally fine with what Bosa is doing as far as pass rush - though last week he seemed to struggle. We need more impact from other guys.
CrimsonCrew
RealGM
And1: 963

Post#327 » by CrimsonCrew » Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:33 pm

Got to say, I get frustrated with this FO when I look at our recent struggles. Our stars are clear, but we don't seem to have quite as much talent at the less heralded spots as we have in the past. Interior OL is struggling - though McKivitz has actually been alright at OT. The DL isn't playing great. LBs have been good, but DBs haven't been making an impact. Other than Aiyuk, our WRs have been silent, and Kittle is the only TE doing anything.

That lack of depth shows up because of trading three firsts and a third for Lance, and using picks from the first three rounds on guys who aren't contributing, like Cameron Latu, Drake Jackson, Danny Gray, TDP and Trey Sermon, Ambry Thomas, Aaron Banks hasn't been as good as he should be given the position and where we drafted him, Javon Kinlaw, Jalen Hurd, Dante Pettis. Teams don't hit as oftne as most fans seem to expect, but with the exception of Warner and Samuel, we have been awful in the second and third rounds. And Aiyuk is the only first-round pick we've hit on other than Bosa, which they don't get credit for as it was a layup. Throw in the Lance trade and this FO has used 25 picks in the first three rounds and has come away with four players who have met or exceeded expectations. Five if you count McGlinchey. That's pretty rough.

They've been excellent in the later rounds, but it doesn't matter if you can't hit early. We're seeing the lack of physical tools show up in our outside players on both sides of the ball, and our interior OL weakness and lack of OT depth. They've done a great job of acquiring extra picks, but you have to find some players with those picks.

Return to San Francisco 49ers