ImageImageImageImageImage

Mock Drafts/ offseason

Moderators: MHSL82, CalamityX12

ticknyler
Junior
And1: 0

Mock Drafts/ offseason 

Post#1 » by ticknyler » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:35 am

I know its very early and we have not even got into FA really yet. So ill just Assume we keep Douglas, and let Sopoaga, and Smiley walk.

1st-Sweed/Hardy-WR
2nd-Carl Nix-OL-6-5 330lbs.....Plays tackle, but prob could play guard
3rd-Red Bryant-DT/DE-6-5 324lbs.........Leader, takes on mult, blockers
4th-Dorien Bryant-WR-.........SOlid is special teams and productive in NCAA
5th-Another DL
6th-Another OG
7th-RB---maybe Bernard from Oregon St

Just bored because its way too early to try and project anything. I just see us really needing help in the Trenches, OL and DL, and obviously overall talent in recievers. Depth at RB would be nice in case of injury.

DL would look like

Douglas Franklin Mcdonald
Cohen Bryant Fields

OL would look like........dont think jennings or Allen will be back

Stayley Wragge Heitman Bass Snyder
Nix FA FA Fa FA

Obviously depth is needed there.
HitMan52
Starter
And1: 33

Post#2 » by HitMan52 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:10 am

Jennings will be back because it will be a big cap hit to cut him.

With the way Quentin Groves perfomed today at the Combine, I am not sold on him and I am on the bandwagon to draft him with our first. I like the Carl Nicks pick as well as the Red Bryant, I also would mind taking Ahtyba Rubin in the third as well.

My first three picks would be:

1st Quentin Groves DE/OLB
2nd Carl Nicks OT/OG
3rd Ahtyba Rubin DT
4th Donnie Avery WR

The only problem with my mock is that Groves may go higher than the #29 pick as well as Rubin and Avery but I do not care for mocks because there is always players who suprisingly fall and suprisingly rise.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager
And1: 456

Post#3 » by GS Warriors 1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:09 am

I should know my CBA rules.

:banghead:
HitMan52
Starter

Post#4 » by HitMan52 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:55 am

GS Warriors 1 wrote:Jennings might be a June 1 cut, we'll see. If he's cut or traded after June 1, the 49ers save money. It does look like they want him gone. If he gets cut or traded now, I think the hit is slightly above $2M and with them looking to be active in FA, I don't see them doing this right now. Maybe leading up to draft weekend they could trade him.

Actually that June 1st cut rule is gone and does not mean nothing anymore. I am pretty sure last off-season it was in affect because of the new CBA.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#5 » by GS Warriors 1 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:07 am

I'll still hold the opinion that the 49ers are at least going to attempt to shop him.
HitMan52
Starter

Post#6 » by HitMan52 » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:46 am

They may shop him but I do not see any takers and it will not be worth it to just cut him.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#7 » by ticknyler » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:17 am

I will deff make a revision now that it looks were signing a proven backup RB, Foster, KR-Rossom, and Sopoaga. 5th round id now use on an LB or some player who has fallen because of off the field issues like terrel Brown
HitMan52
Starter

Post#8 » by HitMan52 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 am

ticknyler wrote:I will deff make a revision now that it looks were signing a proven backup RB, Foster, KR-Rossom, and Sopoaga. 5th round id now use on an LB or some player who has fallen because of off the field issues like terrel Brown

The only problem about that is that you may know a problem with off the field issues but you do not know if they will really fall. Some team might take a chance on them with an early draft pick.

I dont remember what the deal was with Maurice Clarett but the Broncos took a chance on him in the third but then that blew up in their face and now he is in prison I believe.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#9 » by GS Warriors 1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:40 am

I'll take a shot in the dark with this, first 3 rounds only:

1. OL Brendan Albert, Virginia - A versatile lineman that can play on the outside as well as the inside. Had one of the better combine performances for an OL and has solidified himself as a 1st rounder. Could be starting LG for the 49ers on Opening Day. However, chances are good that he will go earlier.

2. WR Lavelle Hawkins, California - Ran a disappointing 40 but I think he's faster than the 4.55 says. He's one of those guys that I believe can adjust well to the NFL. His size is not bad, good route runner, and he's deadly on slants, which is a perfect fit to contribute right away for OC Mike Martz.

3. OLB Bruce Davis, UCLA - Has officially made the switch to OLB and has reportedly looked good doing it, at least at the Senior Bowl. He's a pass rushing presence that is a great fit to be a 3-4 OLB at the NFL level.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#10 » by ticknyler » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:24 am

Id really like the niners to get Hackett or Stallworth. Theres prob a few other recievers that will become available but for right now i think they would both be good fits. Hell, maybe even take a flier on David Givens.

If they get a solid reciever if FA, they can maybe take a reciever in the 2nd or 3rd round and focus possible both of their 1st 2 picks on OL and DL.
GS Warriors 1
General Manager

Post#11 » by GS Warriors 1 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:41 am

Found this from several days ago:

One possible destination for Shaun McDonald would be San Francisco, where he'd be reunited with Mike Martz, who drafted him in 2003 and now leads an offense lacking depth at wideout.

That would be an interesting acquisition. He almost gained 1,000 yards, had 6 TD's, and doesn't make all that much money. It would likely cost a day 2 pick but getting players that fit into what Martz wants to do is a good start.
HitMan52
Starter

Post#12 » by HitMan52 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:38 am

Yeah, I read that same little clip about Shaun. It wouldnt hurt to have him on our team but he did benefit from having to play along with Roy Calvin and even Mike Furrey. All of his stats were from a team that did not run alot so there is bound to be alot of inflated stats but still impressive.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#13 » by ticknyler » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:35 am

I also would like to maybe take a look at Bryant Johnson from Arizona. I think hes still got a decent amount of potential and could be a good bargain. Maybe sign OT Olivea from SD for some competition along the o-line.

PS, glad we gave sopoaga what we did before he saw what Kelly got from the raiders. Are they (Please Use More Appropriate Word)?
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#14 » by Hopper15 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:46 pm

ticknyler wrote:Are they (Please Use More Appropriate Word)?

Rhetorical question. 8)
ticknyler
Junior

Post#15 » by ticknyler » Sat Mar 1, 2008 8:07 pm

With the signings of Justin Smith, Issac Bruce, Fosters, that LB thomas from Minn, it looks like weve got some potential starters and added depth which is always important.

I would now like the niners to generally draft with the best player mentality, with maybe a little more focus on the O-line as so far it looks like the only thing we havent addressed.

Ideally i would say draft a OL in the 1st, and reciever in the 2nd. If a solid recievers slips to us in the 1st though, id say grab him
ticknyler
Junior

Post#16 » by ticknyler » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:26 pm

New Mock

1st-Gosder Cherilus-RT-can either play RT (not LT) and Guard. Huge Man
2nd-Top Guard-Rachal-USC or Shunening-ORe....Both will have long career
3rd-Frank Okam-DT-Weights 340, and take blockers, typical Boom or Bust
4th-Dexter Jackson-WR- Fast as hell, Martz type rec, at least solid in Spec
5th-DJ Hall-WR-Leaps, RUns good routes, looking for a steal
6th-CB, Hopefully someone that already excells at special teams.
7th-G/DE-someone that can just bring decent Depth.

Went with rebuilding the O-line for the long Hall. A nucleus of Stayley,Rachal, Heitman, SNyder, and Cherilus could be a great line for a long time. You also Bass to take over either Heitman or Snyder. Okam can hopefully provide depth at Nose and hopefully develop because he does have potential. The Wr's are Martz Type reciever that we hopefully find a steal in. (colston).

A draft like this also sets us up for future drafts where we would only really need to look at possibly a Reciever and possibly D-line if no one pans out. We would also be able to draft a Stud Safety in the 1st to replace Roman eventually.

I also hope we sign Takeo Spikes to play along Willis.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#17 » by ticknyler » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:44 pm

Depth Chart with previous draft

QB-Smith, Hill, O'sullivan (3)
RB-Gore, Foster, Robinson, (3)
FB-Norris, (robinson)(1)
WR-Johnson, Bruce, Battle, Jackson, Hill, Lelie, Hall*, Jackson DJ*. (7)
TE-Davis,Walker, (2)
OT-Jennings, Duckett (2)
G-Bass, Wragge,(2)
C-Heitman(1)
G-Racha*l, (1)
OT-Stayley, Chelirus*(2)

DE-Smith, Fields, Oliver (3)
DT-Franklin, Okam*(2)
DE-Sopaga, Cohen(2_
OLB-Lawson, Haralson(2)
LB-Willis, Ulbrich(2)
LB-Spikes *, Moore, Thomas(3)
OLB-Banta Cain, J Moore, Green(3)
CB-Clements, Brown, Rossom (3)
CB-Harris, Spencer, Strickland(3)
S-Roman, Lewis(2)
S-M Lewis(1)
K-Nedney(1)
P-Lee(1)

Thats 52 roster spots with the other 1probably going to another O-line.One of the recievers will probably be put on practice squad or released as well opening up another spot for somewhere else. No clue where Thomas Clayton fits in anywhere.

the * means we drafted or hopefull FA (spikes)
ticknyler
Junior

Post#18 » by ticknyler » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:02 am

A few FA i still like either before the draft to help dictate the draft or after to help fill holes that we didnt address.

LB-Rosevelt Colvin-knows 3-4
DT-Grady Jackson-Can probably play Nose and at least add's depth
LB-Takeo Spikes- can play inside in the 3-4, prob not a need
DT-Darwin walker-probably play End in the 3-4

Obviously only take these guys for cheap, id say they would all prob come at a bargain. hand out maybe 2-3 year deals on these guys from 2-4 million average salary per year.
ticknyler
Junior

Post#19 » by ticknyler » Mon Apr 7, 2008 8:45 am

1st-Chelirus, RT
2nd-Hardy, WR
3rd-Rachal, G........or one of the top 4 G
4th-Okam. DT, possible Nose
6th-Marcus Howard-OLB---speed pass rusher
7th-Maurice Murray- DT---300 plus lbs, DE or Nose in our D, gives us depth
Hopper15
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 274

Post#20 » by Hopper15 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:40 pm

They sure are doing a lot of checking up on Groves. It makes you think that's who they're going with if he's available. It kind of makes sense since our pass rush is so non-existent.

Return to San Francisco 49ers