J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Our Draft Grade 

Post#1 » by J.Kim » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:40 pm

Grade our draft here:

Here is some of the analysts' take on our draft:

The Titans surprised everyone by taking Texas safety Michael Griffin in the first round. [...] However, Arizona RB Chris Henry was a reach, considering he started only six games in college and is leaving after his junior season. [...] Fresno State receiver Paul Williams was excellent value in the third round. [...] WR Joel Filani caught 23 TD passes at Texas Tech, but ran only a 4.7 40-yard dash and that's why he dropped to the sixth round.

John Czarnecki, Fox Sports

Texas Tech wide receiver Joel Filani doesn't have great speed, but he has good hands, runs good routes and was very productive in college, leading the Big 12 in touchdown catches last year. He was an excellent choice for the Titans, and Vince Young will be thrilled to have a new target.

Michael David Smith, Fox Sports

I don't like this pick. I think Griffin is a little stiff and the Titans need help up front and at recevier. Lamont Thompson isn't a great player, but this is a little puzzling.

Pete Prisco, CBS Sportsline

Best pick: Third-round pick Paul Williams has big-time speed. He could become Vince Young's go-to guy.
Questionable move: Chris Henry has the tools, but he was never that productive a runner in college. Using a second-round pick on him is speculative.
Second-day gem: Fifth-round pick Antonio Johnson will be a force in the middle of their defense in a couple of years. They got a real steal there.
Overall grade: C. I didn't really like the first-round pick of Michael Griffin or the second-round pick of Henry, but they got some players in the rounds after that.

Pete Prisco, CBS Sportsline

This is a bit of a surprise on two fronts. It seemed the Titans would go with a receiver here. It also seemed that Griffin might be selected a bit lower in the first round. He should provide some solid help, especially in run support. He has good coverage skills, but he still has plenty to learn and doesn't always show the greatest instincts.

Vic Carucci, NFL.com

Henry was a California state sprint champion in high school. He played as a freshman in two games at Arizona, then got hurt. Never started until getting the call four times last season. You're betting on potential here. He was impressive in workouts, but there's not a lot of game tape on him. High risk, high reward. If everything works out, Tennessee can hit a home run here.
[
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#2 » by J.Kim » Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:49 pm

I personally think the Draft did not go that well... We picked too many athletes and not too many football players. I get the feeling that Mike Reinfeldt favors those combine numbers more than the production in University. Hopefully all the picks work out...

Chris Henry is probably the most critical pick in our draft. If he pans out, our offense will be fine, but if not it could set our rebuilding process back by a year or two because we could have tackled one of our more pressing needs (WR, DE, CB) there with some quality talent still on board (Tim Crowder, Victor Abriamri, Quentin Moses, Marcus McCauley, Jacoby Jones, Jason Hill)

Also, despite what anyone else says, I think the Michael Griffin pick was a really good one. I personally think Lamont Thompson was equally as problematic as Reynaldo Hill was on that side of the field, and by replacing either one of them, with a ballhawk and a guy who can cover pretty damn well for a safety. This should be very helpful to Hill (or whoever overtakes him), as Griffin, IMO, should be able to step in right away and excel.

Overall, I give our Draft a tentative C-. Tentative because this draft is such a boom-bust draft that we could end up with 10 players who stick it on the team, and contribute to the team, or with 10 players who can all fall out of the picture in 3 years time. The grade can really go either direction, and when looking back at this draft, 3 years from now people will either awe in wonder of the amazing draft we had, or talk about it as the one that set back Vince Young's development and chased Keith Bulluck out of town.
SARGO127
General Manager
And1: 3,081

Post#3 » by SARGO127 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:44 pm

I like the Michael Griffen pick, as well as Chris Henry, I just don't like him in the 2nd round. I would have rather taken Eric Wright, Victor Abiamiri, Jacoby Jones, or Jason Hill...then selected Henry in the 3rd.
Triple M
General Manager
And1: 2,871

Post#4 » by Triple M » Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:32 pm

As with any draft it will be a few seasons before we can really analyse it. Saying that for the most part I like what the Front office has done in this draft. We added 3 WR with good hands and a RB with a ton of speed who also has good hands from what I

Return to Tennessee Titans