Titans Draft Needs

Moderator: SD2042

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Titans Draft Needs 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:58 pm

The NFL draft will be in April. Which means the Titans have some draft needs that need improving for the upcoming 2008 season later this year. Positions that need address.

WR
OL
TE
DE
CB
SS
FS
LB
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#2 » by SD2042 » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:11 am

Tennessee Titans - DL, WR, TE
The Titans have a pair of significant needs. The first is on the defensive line, where the play up front has been comparatively strong. The main reason that the defensive tackle position is a need is because Albert Haynesworth becomes a free agent at the end of the season. Without Haynesworth, the Titans have had trouble playing at a high level, and if they lose him on the market, they'll need to find an immediate replacement who can make an impact. The tackle position may also require a talent upgrade in the near future. Tennessee will be wise to look into options along the defensive line, to try and build on recent successes. At wide receiver, Tennessee has several receivers on the fringe, but the unit as a whole doesn
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#3 » by J.Kim » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:52 pm

I think Cornerback should be one of our biggest worries right now. Other than Cortland Finnegan, the Titans really have no viable long-term guy in there. Nick Harper is 33 and has a couple of seasons left. Reynaldo Hill is a Nickel at best. Herndon's really fallen off the map. Michael Griffin, I think, would be better suited at FS.

BTW, SD2042, SS is not one of the needs - Hope is there.

I also think we need to find a RG and a C. Olson and Mawae are not getting any younger. Titans need to find their replacements soon, IMO.

As for the rest of the positions:

The Titans are pretty much set at the two Tackle positions for the next 12-13 years. Roos had a great season, and David Stewart showed a lot of promise that the Titans could probably bank on him being a RT for the next 12-13 years.

TE - Titans really need a blocking TE. Scaife and Troupe are really below-average blockers... and all three TEs are more Receiver type TEs than Blocking TEs. I have a feeling Scaife will continue being the primary Receiving TE, while the Titans look for a blocking TE in the later rounds

DE - I think DE is the least of the Titans' worries. Vanden Bosch will be here for the long-term. Odom and LaBoy have both shown to be adequate edge-rushers that they could probably rotate them depending on the matchup. It'd be great to get a better LE, but I have a feeling this need won't be addressed this draft.

LB - I don't think Fowler and Tulloch are long term solutions at MLB. Tulloch showed potential, but not enough to be a consistent starter. I wish the Titans could pick up Vilma at MLB, but I'm thinking that'll be a long shot.

DT - Titans desperately need a gap-stuffer. Haynesworth is great and all, but he's just above-average as a run-stuffer IMO. He's a phenomenal pass rusher, and the Titans need to keep him in Tennessee, but they need a new DT opposite of him. Tony Brown is great in limited stretches, and would be better suited to an obvious passing-down situational role. Ideally, the Titans can pick up a DT who is great at run-stuffing to complement Albert Haynesworth.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#4 » by SD2042 » Mon Mar 3, 2008 11:00 pm

The Titans got Alge Crumpler for a low level two yr deal. His knees are suspect with with an injured prone history. Also while he's a solid blocking TE. Can the Titans depend on him to bail them out on short yardage runs? As for needs at C and RG. That's a good point. Both Mawae and Olsen aren't getting any younger at those positions.
J.Kim
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23

Post#5 » by J.Kim » Wed Mar 5, 2008 4:08 am

SD2042 wrote:The Titans got Alge Crumpler for a low level two yr deal. His knees are suspect with with an injured prone history. Also while he's a solid blocking TE. Can the Titans depend on him to bail them out on short yardage runs? As for needs at C and RG. That's a good point. Both Mawae and Olsen aren't getting any younger at those positions.

Solid Blocking TE?

From what I heard, he's not that good of a blocker.

I don't entirely like the Alge Crumpler signing, but then again, the Titans don't have too many receiving threats, so hands like his are welcome on the team.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies

Post#6 » by SD2042 » Wed Mar 5, 2008 6:46 am

They did need a boost on short yardage offense. I'm glad they got to work on the issue and got someone in Crumpler. I just hope his knees don't become a big problem for the Titans offense.

Return to Tennessee Titans