Moderator: SD2042

SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,414

Young takes McNair's kids to breakfast 

Post#1 » by SD2042 » Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:44 pm

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=m ... &type=lgns

At the funeral of Steve McNair(notes) in July, Vince Young(notes) told the slain quarterback's two young boys that he would always be there for them. On Wednesday, Young lived up to that promise.

The Tennessee Titans quarterback surprised McNair's two sons, Trenton and Tyler, by taking them out to breakfast as part of their school's annual father/student tradition. As The Tennessean reports, Young showed up at the McNair house Wednesday and took the children to a pancake restaurant, along with a number of other families at the school.

"It was a great, great gesture,'' said Julie Dilworth, admissions director at the school. "All the kids had been talking about the dads' breakfast and (Trenton and Tyler) were wondering what was going to happen with them.

"They were thrilled ... the boys came to school with huge smiles on their faces.''

Young and McNair never played together on the Titans (McNair was forced out of Tennessee weeks after Young was drafted in 2006), but the two had grown close years earlier after being introduced by McNair's uncle. Young referred to McNair as "Pops" and said after his death that "he was like a father to me". But he doesn't view his recent deed as paying anyone back:

"It was out of love. Steve would do it for me. He pretty much did it for me when I was growing up. I have a history with the boys and I want to do anything I can. I am their big brother."

Return to Tennessee Titans