ImageImageImageImageImage

RD 1 GAME #3: LAC [1-1] @ MAVS [1-1]—FRI 4/26 5 PM, ESPN

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 787

Re: RD 1 GAME #3: LAC [1-1] @ MAVS [1-1]—FRI 4/26 5 PM, ESPN 

Post#81 » by donemilio21 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:36 am

**** game. We are still in it. Need to go back to LA 2-2, we can do so Sunday.
Control the damn turnovers and play hard ass defense
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,758

Post#82 » by KL2 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:58 am

Read on Twitter
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 744

Post#83 » by Captain Ballmer » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:12 am

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Tbh, This is good. If this doesn't slap your face enough, nothing will. They should start playing some basketball after this.

Lue was looking preparer for game 3, apparently he isn't. No more smiley duck face. Get earn your next contract.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,064

Post#84 » by ejftw » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:15 am

Just need a split, and while the game was not really for the taking tonight, Dallas hasn't shown the willingness (or ability maybe?) to just finish the Clips off.

If Kawhi plays, the team needs to utilize him as a third/fourth option. Game 1 was free flowing, 2&3, we've been standing around trying to get him going. Credit to the Mavs D, it has been better than expected, but it shouldn't be this good.

Oh and PG needs to wake up
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,270

Post#85 » by Clemenza » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:38 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
KL2 wrote:Westbrook acting like this is not cool. First Mann. Now him.

I kind of liked it actually- Westbrook is nobody's punk and at least he was giving max effort

His outburst was misguided and hollow though. Love his energy and hustle, but we needed a couple of his jumpers to fall. Mann too. Go ahead and start up a tussle, but put a few points on the board to help the team and cut the Mavs lead.
HardenGoat
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,569

Post#86 » by HardenGoat » Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:31 am

They actually did maul PG and then call touch fouls on him when he defended. Iam not saying we lost because of the refs, I mean if Kawhi is not able to play the chip aspirations are shot anyways.
PeteyPablo
Rookie
And1: 831

Post#87 » by PeteyPablo » Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:20 pm

It looks like Mavs are playing with more energy and intensity the last two games.

Clippers are struggling from what looks like Mavs defense. Kawhi does not have legs on his shot and Paul George had a terrible game.

James Harden is playing well. Zubac is grinding. Powell starting to find his shot. Westbrook out of control.
Mann not real effective this game 3 and Plumlee looked better.

Team will need to regroup fast and come out ready for game 4. Ty Lue will need to figure it out asap.

Still have some games left to turn it around.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 103

Post#88 » by jengmann3 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:40 pm

ya I agree it's not Kawhi's fault. But I do think he can/should still be coached if he's on the floor. Some of the turnovers were really bad. That was my thing watching the team, it's too late in the season to be lackadaisical or act like it's a throwaway game. It would be if we were playing a lesser team, but Dallas has arguably the best player in the series. In listening to some of the post game discussion, I do take one of my earlier comments back about the minute restrictions. It does sound like the team knew about it. So it's just unfortunate that PG got into foul trouble. Harden and Zu were ready to carry.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 744

Post#89 » by Captain Ballmer » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:42 pm

PeteyPablo wrote:It looks like Mavs are playing with more energy and intensity the last two games.

Clippers are struggling from what looks like Mavs defense.
Kawhi does not have legs on his shot and Paul George had a terrible game.

James Harden is playing well. Zubac is grinding. Powell starting to find his shot. Westbrook out of control.
Mann not real effective this game 3 and Plumlee looked better.

Team will need to regroup fast and come out ready for game 4. Ty Lue will need to figure it out asap.

Still have some games left to turn it around.

I think there is new theme in the NBA that Stars not used to. It happens to Lakers, Clippers and Suns at the same time same way.

Mavs(Wolves-OKC-Nuggets-Knicks) looks more physical because referees let role players to be physical, step up to shorten "the talent gap", Old Stars not used to this and needs a reality check soon. I think PG13 forgot how to play physical defense all those years, when he tries he makes fouls now.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,224

Post#90 » by Max Headrom » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:52 pm

What I don't get is how s*itty role playing nobodies on the Mavericks are allowed to maul the Clippers but the Clippers get called for ticky tack fouls. It you're gonna let them play, let them play you useless d*icks
KL2
Analyst

Post#91 » by KL2 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

I kind of liked it actually- Westbrook is nobody's punk and at least he was giving max effort

His outburst was misguided and hollow though. Love his energy and hustle, but we needed a couple of his jumpers to fall. Mann too. Go ahead and start up a tussle, but put a few points on the board to help the team and cut the Mavs lead.

This. Acting tough only works if it’s firing up your own play, the teams play, getting your home crowd to be loud or silence the road one.

We’re the vet team. The one who is supposed to be composed and not act out when your big brother is pushing you around while mom isn’t looking.

I don’t expect anyone to back down if there was a questionable play like stepping in your landing zone or clipping you while you're in the air. But a little shove (something Westbrook does a lot himself) while being separated or staring at the bench is not it. Imagine putting that energy and focus on the game instead.

PeteyPablo wrote:Ty Lue will need to figure it out asap

I’m losing faith he can. He’s not willing to throw everything against the wall to see what sticks like other coaches. Do whatever it takes to get the win right now. He’s always too worried about sample sizes and time to get a good look at things. All that talk about all hands on deck is just that.

Seriously. What have they talked about in film sessions? What are they focusing on in practices or walk throughs?

They played a little zone last night and that put Dallas off a bit. What else? They have Gafford, Washington, and Lively being physical inside and making us think twice about attacking. It’s working. What do we have? Zu tries but he’s getting drawn outside. The other 2 guys are glued to the bench. Theis and Tucker.

What have they’ve tried shaking up on offense the last 2 games? Game 2 they tried to get Leonard going but he was a failed decoy last night. I’m tired of hearing about how the ball moves so much better when he doesn’t play. He only played 24 minutes last night and the ball wasn’t hopping when he was on the bench the other 24.

Give a lot of credit to Dallas and the defense they’re playing. Kidd has them locked in. Especially after caught sleeping in game 1.

What’s Lue done to counter? Smiles in press conferences and comments like don’t worry we’ll be ready next game. And then nothings changed. Just more hammering of the same.
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#92 » by KingCrimzzon » Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:53 pm

Max Headrom wrote:What I don't get is how s*itty role playing nobodies on the Mavericks are allowed to maul the Clippers but the Clippers get called for ticky tack fouls. It you're gonna let them play, let them play you useless d*icks

It has always seemed that way even at home, the NBA just wont give the Clippers any respect. But in this playoffs in general the refereeing has been God aweful. Gobert totally traveled in G3 v. SUNS and refs did nothing (PHX was at home). Would not be the least surprised that refs are betting on some of these games...
Max Headrom
Sixth Man
And1: 2,224

Post#93 » by Max Headrom » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 pm

KingCrimzzon wrote:
Max Headrom wrote:What I don't get is how s*itty role playing nobodies on the Mavericks are allowed to maul the Clippers but the Clippers get called for ticky tack fouls. It you're gonna let them play, let them play you useless d*icks

It has always seemed that way even at home, the NBA just wont give the Clippers any respect. But in this playoffs in general the refereeing has been God aweful. Gobert totally traveled in G3 v. SUNS and refs did nothing (PHX was at home). Would not be the least surprised that refs are betting on some of these games...

I believe they absolutely are. A lot of these calls we're seeing seem agenda driven
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#94 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:

of course they need to produce, but I like the Westbrook won't put up with the flopping and degrading conduct of Washington. He won't be punked and hopefully the team gets that vibe too and starts really fighting- maybe literally if necessary- bring back the '80s!
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,016

Post#95 » by clipperlover » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:10 pm

Down 2-1 going into Game 4 on the road. This is the first "must-win" type of game they have played all season and the last one that Kawhi has been in since before he tore the ACL. If they can't show up in Game 4, then the they don't have it this year.

Despite how bad we have played, our D has been good. Dal only had 3 games all regular season where they scored this few points with both Kyrie and Luka on the court. One of those games was a loss to us. As long as our D stays solid, then we can be stay in this series.

For a team that trots out a "Give No Quarter" mantra, winning 4 of 12 quarters in this series is embarrassing.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,016

Post#96 » by clipperlover » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:14 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:I kind of liked it actually- Westbrook is nobody's punk and at least he was giving max effort

of course they need to produce, but I like the Westbrook won't put up with the flopping and degrading conduct of Washington. He won't be punked and hopefully the team gets that vibe too and starts really fighting- maybe literally if necessary- bring back the '80s!

Westbrook's antics this series aren't hustle or frustration though. They are cheap shots. He has lost a lot of people's respect this series. The push in the back in Game 2 was unnecessary. Don't want to see people out there trying to hurt other players. It is one thing to be physical, but there is a line that you can't cross.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#97 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:22 pm

clipperlover wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:
Clemenza wrote:His outburst was misguided and hollow though. Love his energy and hustle, but we needed a couple of his jumpers to fall. Mann too. Go ahead and start up a tussle, but put a few points on the board to help the team and cut the Mavs lead.

Westbrook's antics this series aren't hustle or frustration though. They are cheap shots. He has lost a lot of people's respect this series. The push in the back in Game 2 was unnecessary. Don't want to see people out there trying to hurt other players. It is one thing to be physical, but there is a line that you can't cross.

which foul? The one on Doncic? He fouled him, but it certainly wasn't excessive and only looked so because Doncic flopped.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#98 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:23 pm

clipperlover wrote:Down 2-1 going into Game 4 on the road. This is the first "must-win" type of game they have played all season and the last one that Kawhi has been in since before he tore the ACL. If they can't show up in Game 4, then the they don't have it this year.

Despite how bad we have played, our D has been good. Dal only had 3 games all regular season where they scored this few points with both Kyrie and Luka on the court. One of those games was a loss to us. As long as our D stays solid, then we can be stay in this series.

For a team that trots out a "Give No Quarter" mantra, winning 4 of 12 quarters in this series is embarrassing.

they definitely need to show up and if they lose they are deep trouble- but as the Clippers have shown (unfortunately against them) in the past 10 years- a 3-1 deficit is not a total death knell especially when you have home court advantage- you have to win on the road whether it is game 4 or 6

of course, if Kawhi continues to be so limited, then their chances are low no matter what happens.

Hindsight bias for sure- but perhaps they should have sat him the whole series as they looked capable of beating Dallas without him
KL2
Analyst

Post#99 » by KL2 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:28 pm

2 games and no adjustments from Lue. I thought he was supposed to be the chess expert while everyone else plays checkers? I’d rather throw a counter punch and fail than not throw one at all. Waiting until we’re down 1-3?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,270

Post#100 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:I think there is new theme in the NBA that Stars not used to. It happens to Lakers, Clippers and Suns at the same time same way.

There's a more obvious commonality between those teams, and I'll throw in the Bucks and Warriors too. They're all old and slow.

That's the real new era. "Superteams" built around aging players on huge contracts are a thing of the past. Gone are the days when a team like the 2006 Heat could build a team of old men and beat you with experience. You cannot win in today's NBA without a deep, balanced roster full of youth/athleticism/size and an offensive system that takes advantage of it with lots of movement and actions. You cannot just go out and buy "stars" anymore and not take player development and the draft seriously. Lue and Frank are about the last people you'd ever want in charge of a team in this era.

Watching this team play is like bringing up the old grainy highlights of George Mikan and Dolph Schayes compared to how the Nuggets play. It's like watching a completely different sport. Actually, I saw a highlight once of Mikan's Lakers running the fast break, so they'd probably run our glacial retirement-home squad out of the gym too. And Lue would have that confused look on his face all game while Mikan's getting 50 points and 20 rebounds against his smallball lineups.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers