An early summer 2024 thread

Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Re: An early summer 2024 thread 

Post#61 » by MartinToVaught » Sun May 5, 2024 12:50 am

Clemenza wrote:Harden wasn't that bad of a move at all

The Harden trade mortgaged the rest of our future just to give us the exact same results we had last year with Morris, Batum and RoCo. Harden also choked in the playoffs again like he always does. It's a disaster. Any franchise that cares about winning would fire the whole front office and start from scratch.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,839

Post#62 » by madmaxmedia » Sun May 5, 2024 12:59 am

Clemenza wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:Ishbia at least has the excuse that he's new to this. Ballmer has owned this team for a decade and is repeating the same mistakes he made with Lob City. Screwing up the exact same way a second time is a sign of a bad owner.

I'd say they both doubled down and lost- Clippers with Harden and Suns with Beal.

Harden wasn't that bad of a move at all plus he plays the point for us which is something we desperately needed. Suns owe Beal $150 million over the next three years and he's the exact same player as Booker. And the too needed a pg in the worst way possible.

I agree- trading for Harden was much better in terms of fit. I was looking at it solely from the perspective of how the acquisitions further delayed any potential rebuilding effort by either team.

Clippers don't control a 1st round pick until 2030, Suns are 2031. Had we not traded for Harden, we'd have our own 1st round picks starting in 2028 (or after 2027 season, so 3 more years.) Trading for Harden significantly improved the team, but we still ended up losing in the 1st round and it put out our rebuilding to 5 more seasons...gasp!) Suns are stuck for next 6 seasons.

Of course, it is possible to gut the roster before then and try to sign a couple of big free agents. But that works a lot better if you have some cheaper rookie scale contracts that can at the minimum help fill out starting lineup.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#63 » by Clemenza » Sun May 5, 2024 1:05 am

Now that's its a day later it appears that we have to resign PG even if it means pulling a "Blake Griffin" and trade him halfway through the season. If he leaves then no money is freed up to sign another star or other players. Haven't looked at the numbers but resigning PG and Harden might cause Norm and PJ to be moved as no team wants to be in the 2nd apron. Can't bottom out right now as it'll cause our 1st round pick swaps to turn nightmarish.

"Run it back" for now but get rid of the vet privilege for once on this team. The "I'm too big of a name to be sitting on the bench", "PJ is supposed to play because he's PJ" and "Russ supposed to play because he's Russ" mantra needs to be outta here asap! Get rid of all that **** moving forward. Its holding us back. If its 213 yet again put the kids and athletes around them for better or for worse. If you guys don't believe in any of the youth we currently have well they'll be more guys on the horizon coming up. OKC and the likes with millions of picks can't add and absorb 3-4 new players a year on a 15 man roster. Just start building towards something, find hidden gems, develop, etc. The quick fix and looking for aging but often injured stars is over with.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,768

Post#64 » by KL2 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:31 am

https://clutchpoints.com/clippers-news-paul-george-breaks-silence-on-clouded-clippers-future

On Jan. 10, 2024, Kawhi Leonard and the Clippers agreed to a three-year, $152 million contract extension that would keep him in Los Angeles through the 2026-27 season. That deal was less than the four-year, $220 million deal Leonard could've gotten.

Translation: The team's best player took one fewer year and about $10 million less than the max he could've gotten, in part to help the team build a contender over the next few years.

There have been rumblings that George, 34 years of age and entering his last big contract, wants the fourth year as part of extension talks. The Clippers, according to sources not authorized to speak publicly on the matter, have been reluctant to add that fourth year and are certainly not offering him the max as of right now.

If the team's best player in Kawhi Leonard took less than the max, then it'd be surprising to see George, who is more than a year older than Leonard, get a similar or better deal.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,465

Post#65 » by og15 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:33 am

Ballings7 wrote:Gotta make some changes and allow certain people to go.

I don't see Kawhi going anywhere, but still lean towards PG not being here.

If not PG or Harden, they'll still need another third guy.

Russ' may end up staying if he can't get on elsewhere, but can see someone else wanting him in a fresh environment, and maybe even getting moved again if he does.

Would like to see Bones get a chance and really solidfiy himself at backup PG.

Keep T-Mann, Keep Powell, barring something really good.

Harden I think is going to stay and would b surprised if he leaves. I also kind of don't think he has a choice unless he went to Miami maybe and they accepted him (which I doubt would happen).

Need more size and agility upfront past Zubac.

I would keep Theis as a backup big.

Will be interesting to see how stubborn the org. is and if they can see through the lines of what the issues are, and whats feasible to fix.

Clippers don't have the cap or the assets to get a third guy if either of PG or Harden go. The third guy would need to be whomever steps up on the roster, or just not really having a third guy. It's most likely to be Powell as a 6th man being the third guy scoring wise in that situation. In terms of overall, probably won't be any guy to pinpoint as that.

Westbrook can't be back on this team. You just can't play him in the post-season, it simply doesn't make sense to keep him around, and even more so if Harden is around. Just not the right fit because his game was never built for being a role player. Too difficult unless you have specific roster set ups to have a PG who can't shoot and is off the ball a lot.

Kidd for example became a shooter late in his career to extend his positive life on the court, and shooting wasn't even as prioritized when he played as it is now.

Bones should be allowed to have that backup PG spot and do what he can.

In terms of the young guys, let's just be fair to them. Boston has done pretty well for being a 51st pick. The fact that he's still in the league is good for him, but so far he's also not a rotation player at this level, but he could be if he changed his focus to being more of a role player on offense and totally focus on defense and glue guy stuff. Not sure he's capable of that, easier said than done, but with 1000+ minutes, not efficient enough to be a scoring option in the league. Maybe he makes a big jump over the off-season, but just based on so far.

Kobe could get himself into the rotation as a 2nd year guy. He's got a lot of good role player type skills.

Moussa hasn't played enough minutes to really know, but in the few he's played, he's had a lot of good signs, doesn't foul a lot for a big in those minutes, great energy, active on the offensive glass, but a poor defensive rebounder. Sample size still very small.

We will definitely have to wait and see what happens.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,105

Post#66 » by ejftw » Sun May 5, 2024 3:12 am

With PG, the best case scenario is hoping he does an opt in and trade ala Chris Paul. Just hard to see that going down, however. Especially when you consider the two teams linked (Philly + Orlando) necessarily don't need too, and that's before you even get into PG giving up the new contract money. I mean, maybe you get Orlando to do Jingles, seconds and a TPE? But using said TPE puts the Clippers at the second apron HC.

I'm assuming that Balmer relents and does a 3 year max for PG and probably something like a 3/115 for Harden. Not ideal, but no other real alternative.

Also wouldn't be shocked to see Plumlee get some sort of an inflated one year deal due to birds to be used as trade ballast later on with the new CBA making it hard to do anything else. Probably a 1/15.

It's also pretty clear here that I'm a BJ stan, so hoping he sticks around on some sort of a 1+1 deal, and gets some burn, alongside Kobe and Moussa to see if he can develop.

With just the 46th pick, hoping KJ Simpson drops. But then again, can't expect much from a pick that late.

Going to be a bumpy ride
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 787

Post#67 » by donemilio21 » Sun May 5, 2024 4:18 am

Regardless of what happens with PG, Harden or Russ, we should try to trade Kawhi as soon as he is eligible to be traded. I'm not talking about tearing it down. I'm talking about getting a a solid started and maybe 1 or 2 picks in return. We can win 50 games and get a first round exit without Kawhi on the roster, exact same thing we are doing with him on the roster. Dude played 4 playoff games in 3 years, time to move on and get some value back while we still can.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,768

Post#68 » by KL2 » Sun May 5, 2024 4:36 am

Doesn’t sound like a guy looking for a new team.

Read on Twitter
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#69 » by Clemenza » Sun May 5, 2024 6:02 am

KL2 wrote:Doesn’t sound like a guy looking for a new team.

Read on Twitter

He's countering the claims made about him about how he wasn't down with coming off the bench, which we all figured was the case.

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#70 » by esqtvd » Sun May 5, 2024 8:53 am

KL2 wrote:Doesn’t sound like a guy looking for a new team.

Read on Twitter

Yes. Russ wants to keep playing in the NBA and stay in LA--his family and businesses are here--and the Lakers are not an option. He's worth $200M, maybe even $500M with his investments. Money is not a factor.

Russ gave us his best, no pouting, no loafing. He was the least of our problems. Of course Ballmer will have him back for the opening of the Ballmerdome if he wants to be here. Can't just tip off with a bunch of you know, mmmmph-Leaguers. :D

I think Beard will want back in too, but I'm not sure he makes sense at any price, and he will want more than the near-minimum Russ is taking. He still wants to be PAID. Does Ballmer really want to run back the agony of the last 5 years all over again?

Losing Beard and PG's salary gives Ballmer almost a clean slate. If you look at the guys the Sixers rounded up off the scrap pile and are now FAs--Kelly Oubre, Cam Payne, Mo Bamba, Buddy Hield, maybe even Nic Batum--and multiply that by 30, there are plenty of guys out there to fill up a roster.

This is what Ballmer was counting on when he went all-in. Even without PG and Beard, LAC is a destination.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,943

Post#71 » by esqtvd » Sun May 5, 2024 9:11 am

End of story.

Read on Twitter

Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#72 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun May 5, 2024 9:35 am

Three PG opt-in and trade ideas;

Rules;
1-The team we are trading needs to be in a place no cap space available
2- Willing to extend PG13 in hope with their title window next 3 years
3- Have some salary they are willing to shed/send Clippers might need.

Option 1: Knicks; J.Randle and Mitch Rob for PG13.
Knicks are contender without them and PG13 would be a better no2 for Brunson then Randle.
Clippers badly need PF who grab rebounds and bully his way to paint and score&get ft line. That's Randle. M.Rob would be a really good backup C Harden can use his vertical game for Lobs. Bye Plumlee.

Option 2: Heat; Herro&Duncan Robinson&Jovic for PG13.
Heat put those two on the market for every star and needs better two way players. Rozier-Pg13-Butler-Jaquez-Bam is kind of good for another run with Spoelstra.
We get Herro&Duncan to open up more space&3pt threat for Zu&Kawhi&Harden. PG's unwillingness to shoot 15 3pt Attempt per game will not be missed. Herro can also spare Norman Powell to be traded later for a PF. Jovic looks improving.

Option 3: Bucks; Middleton and Brook Lopez for PG13 and PJ Tucker.
Middleton is way more injury prone than PG13 and declined from all star level even moreso than PG13. Bucks will create Lillard-Pg13-Beasley-Giannis-Portis for better spacing and Maximize Giannis in Center.
Clippers get Stretch big to back-up Zu, get rid of PJ, dont worry about Plumlee and Take a talent hit at wing with Middleton but still starter lever player, a year younger than PG13. Middleton is less upside but better floor game might be more suitable for Kawhiless games.

All 3 options are in the eastern conference where they might need to be in a game to prevent Philly and take a better chance at Boston next year.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,839

Post#73 » by madmaxmedia » Sun May 5, 2024 4:19 pm

esqtvd wrote:I think Beard will want back in too, but I'm not sure he makes sense at any price, and he will want more than the near-minimum Russ is taking. He still wants to be PAID. Does Ballmer really want to run back the agony of the last 5 years all over again?

Losing Beard and PG's salary gives Ballmer almost a clean slate. If you look at the guys the Sixers rounded up off the scrap pile and are now FAs--Kelly Oubre, Cam Payne, Mo Bamba, Buddy Hield, maybe even Nic Batum--and multiply that by 30, there are plenty of guys out there to fill up a roster.

This is what Ballmer was counting on when he went all-in. Even without PG and Beard, LAC is a destination.

I think this is well worth remembering, even if it’s much easier to have a lottery pick or 2 to give you a shot at a young starter or star.

But yeah, we’d have to lose both huge salaries to start clearing room. I’d like Harden back but if clearing salary is the goal then there’s not going to be a middle ground where they can meet on the money.

I’m not surprised to see the report that PG wants 4 years but underwhelming in the playoffs certainly puts a damper on things for him, here or anywhere. I think if he would be willing to sign the same contract as Kawhi, Clips would do it and then bring Beard back too. But looking at where these guys are now vs. two years ago, we’ve definitely reached the point of declining returns. Kawhi has held up the best, but only when he is actually playing.

I’m not over the world with most of our young guys, but it may be a requirement to put 1 or 2 in the starting lineup and regular rotation if we run 213 back- sink or swim. The buyout guys only make us even older and slower, and it feels like subtraction by addition at this point.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 942

Post#74 » by NickP » Sun May 5, 2024 5:32 pm

All this discussion about players and players movement and trades and who plays what role is really great stuff. But, after the said trades and role reassignment, do we let Ty Lue drive this car off a cliff? Over and over and over?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by Clemenza » Sun May 5, 2024 5:45 pm

NickP wrote:All this discussion about players and players movement and trades and who plays what role is really great stuff. But, after the said trades and role reassignment, do we let Ty Lue drive this car off a cliff? Over and over and over?

Kawhi missing four straight post seasons helps his cause tremendously
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Post#76 » by MartinToVaught » Sun May 5, 2024 5:55 pm

esqtvd wrote:If you look at the guys the Sixers rounded up off the scrap pile and are now FAs--Kelly Oubre, Cam Payne, Mo Bamba, Buddy Hield, maybe even Nic Batum--and multiply that by 30, there are plenty of guys out there to fill up a roster.

These players are generally available from the scrap pile for a reason. Swapping out our current old men for different ones isn't going to turn this team from a first-round exit to a champion.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,494

Post#77 » by Ballings7 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:26 pm

og15 wrote:
Ballings7 wrote:Gotta make some changes and allow certain people to go.

I don't see Kawhi going anywhere, but still lean towards PG not being here.

If not PG or Harden, they'll still need another third guy.

Russ' may end up staying if he can't get on elsewhere, but can see someone else wanting him in a fresh environment, and maybe even getting moved again if he does.

Would like to see Bones get a chance and really solidfiy himself at backup PG.

Keep T-Mann, Keep Powell, barring something really good.

Harden I think is going to stay and would b surprised if he leaves. I also kind of don't think he has a choice unless he went to Miami maybe and they accepted him (which I doubt would happen).

Need more size and agility upfront past Zubac.

I would keep Theis as a backup big.

Will be interesting to see how stubborn the org. is and if they can see through the lines of what the issues are, and whats feasible to fix.

Clippers don't have the cap or the assets to get a third guy if either of PG or Harden go. The third guy would need to be whomever steps up on the roster, or just not really having a third guy. It's most likely to be Powell as a 6th man being the third guy scoring wise in that situation. In terms of overall, probably won't be any guy to pinpoint as that.

Westbrook can't be back on this team. You just can't play him in the post-season, it simply doesn't make sense to keep him around, and even more so if Harden is around. Just not the right fit because his game was never built for being a role player. Too difficult unless you have specific roster set ups to have a PG who can't shoot and is off the ball a lot.

Kidd for example became a shooter late in his career to extend his positive life on the court, and shooting wasn't even as prioritized when he played as it is now.

Bones should be allowed to have that backup PG spot and do what he can.

In terms of the young guys, let's just be fair to them. Boston has done pretty well for being a 51st pick. The fact that he's still in the league is good for him, but so far he's also not a rotation player at this level, but he could be if he changed his focus to being more of a role player on offense and totally focus on defense and glue guy stuff. Not sure he's capable of that, easier said than done, but with 1000+ minutes, not efficient enough to be a scoring option in the league. Maybe he makes a big jump over the off-season, but just based on so far.

Kobe could get himself into the rotation as a 2nd year guy. He's got a lot of good role player type skills.

Moussa hasn't played enough minutes to really know, but in the few he's played, he's had a lot of good signs, doesn't foul a lot for a big in those minutes, great energy, active on the offensive glass, but a poor defensive rebounder. Sample size still very small.

We will definitely have to wait and see what happens.

On PG, that is a good possibility that nothing happens and he's back -- I'd be fine with that.. but I think of the three he's the most likely to be gone; I can see a trade working out for a mid or upper playoff team where he makes them more of a threat.

Agreed with the rest.

I think unless Russ' changes his game he won't be consistently effective in the playoffs as you'd want him to be. Improving his jumpshot like J-KIdd did is a good example, and even Vince Carter. I still like him a lot though, he is always capable of making an impact even if its just for a couple games in a series. its just something the team may have to deal with, or move him. I don't think that he'll leave the team in all likelyhood, if anything he'd be dealt, but probably has a limited market.

I want to see one of Kobe/Boston/Diabate get in the rotation next year.. size and agility on both ends, off the bench is an issue and all the "known" impact bench talent is at guard. I said the same thing at the beginning of this season.

I liked what I've seen from all of them in multiple different opportunities. Kobe overall has the best chance, then Moussa. Got Jordan Miller as well potentially.

I've mentioned it before, but the team is just too small with T-Mann starting and finishing games routinely. His offensive punch inconsistency aside, he's a solid utility wing that does play bigger than he is on defense, rebounding, and around the paint... but not as a PF routinely.

I think Mann can start/finish games situationally.. but gotta have a bigger line-up out there normally, because no one really plays bigger than they are (not including Zubac here), reliably and sustainably from game to game with dedicated minutes. Kawhi certainly can as a PF, but not with dedication from week to week and you don't want him there too often at PF.

Kawhi and T-Mann playing PF routinely has to be decreased to have a better chance against the top teams like Denver, Minnesota, and then the flawed but still very good teams like Pelicans, Kings, and Grizzlies (healthy)., then teams like Boston, New York, Milwaukee, out east any of whom could definitely be in the finals the next 2-3 seasons. All have good size and balanced frontcourts on O and D.

Dallas size ultimately did pose problems in the end for this team, not like they did during the regular season in their big run they made... but still enough. Gafford came on at the end of the series it seemed.

Doing that may well take really changing the core of the team, and I don't know if the org. has the foresight and balance to do that.. subtracting a name or two for a more balanced main group.

Dallas went out and got Gafford/Washington and they changed the identity and capabilities of their team.. yes they had assets to do that, but still its an example of what may have to be done over the next 1-2 years.. go look for talent on middling/bad teams and determine how to get them to improve the issue areas.

The org. can't be stubborn and rest on the names and then just "accept" the obvious flaws and not talk about them. I want to see that come up over the coming year.

Kawhi being great gives the team a good chance against Denver/Minny over a series, but quite possible still a loss because of the size, talent, and flexibility at PF/C from them both. That's the peak expectation which is realistic for any other team against them -- just that the chances would be even better against them over a series with an impactful legit forward to play a role at PF. Who knows, either way.. healthy all three teams (LAC/DEN/MIN) are all really good in their own way.

Bench/support top impact = all primarily at guard/smaller wing (Powell, Russ, Bones, Mann). Coffey is decent but I don't think he should be the guy who is a bigger wing player to spell Kawhi/George. Kobe more developed would come in handy here to compliment Coffey.

Main group impact = mostly all from "wing"-style players. Zubac is all on his own as a "big", and playing that role since thats all he's going to fit into.

Need someone new in there to help out Kawhi, Zubac, and George on defense and on the glass.

The league isn't run by the Heat, Warriors, and Houston (to a lesser degree) anymore, and has changed to be more of a hybrid of 2008-2012 era, and then 2014 to 2018 era - combined. Its teams with size with spacing, and consistent two-way internal threats that are problematic.

The Spurs are also going to be on the come up in the next 2 years, and will be a problem barring no major issues with Wemby. Get into a series with them and who knows? Wemby + Vassell + a star-level perimeter player + some decent role players (which they already will have basically)... Limiting and making it tough on a big like Wemby with a combination of size, length and agility will be critical.

Looking forward to see what happens into training camp.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,494

Post#78 » by Ballings7 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:52 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
esqtvd wrote:I think Beard will want back in too, but I'm not sure he makes sense at any price, and he will want more than the near-minimum Russ is taking. He still wants to be PAID. Does Ballmer really want to run back the agony of the last 5 years all over again?

I think this is well worth remembering, even if it’s much easier to have a lottery pick or 2 to give you a shot at a young starter or star.

But yeah, we’d have to lose both huge salaries to start clearing room. I’d like Harden back but if clearing salary is the goal then there’s not going to be a middle ground where they can meet on the money.

I’m not surprised to see the report that PG wants 4 years but underwhelming in the playoffs certainly puts a damper on things for him, here or anywhere. I think if he would be willing to sign the same contract as Kawhi, Clips would do it and then bring Beard back too. But looking at where these guys are now vs. two years ago, we’ve definitely reached the point of declining returns. Kawhi has held up the best, but only when he is actually playing.

I’m not over the world with most of our young guys, but it may be a requirement to put 1 or 2 in the starting lineup and regular rotation if we run 213 back- sink or swim. The buyout guys only make us even older and slower, and it feels like subtraction by addition at this point.

I tend to agree with both of you on this. I think longer-term it would be best for the team.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,112

Post#79 » by Wammy Giveaway » Sun May 5, 2024 10:17 pm

Ballings7 wrote:The organization can't be stubborn and rest on the names and then just "accept" the obvious flaws and not talk about them. I want to see that come up over the coming year.

Their stubbornness comes from their desire to be loved. Every move they make is to steal attention away from their competitors. Keep Lue away from Lakers. Don't let George, Westbrook or Harden walk. Don't do anything that would upset and sway Leonard into leaving. Lose any or all of them, they're losers again. Clippers think more like a business team than they do a sports team. All this amounts to one thing: they're afraid of being compared to the Sterling-era Clippers. "The more things change, the more they stay the same," right?

It's not resting on the names, specifically, it's resting on their past accolades. The All-Star appearances, the league MVPs, the Finals MVP, their championship, no matter how big or small their contribution was. But when they recruit players, it's more petty. "We signed you because you defeated us, show us how you did it because now you're going to help us." Sound like anyone we know? Yeah: Clippers are Doc Rivers 2.0.

The last thing I want to see from them is being willing to take risks, no matter the consequences. They care more about their image, their brand, their reputation, how they're portrayed by their inner circle and close friends. They're afraid of losing all that and becoming labelled evil players. It all starts with their fear of getting ejected from a game. When Westbrook got thrown out in Game 3, it was validation that Clippers lied to us: supposedly he didn't honorably ask to come off the bench, it was Lawrence Frank who forced this in an attempt to "protect the shield." They were afraid that if he got thrown out, it would have led to a revolt, a fallout and a trade - more importantly, a forced rebuild. This was why we had zero player ejections the regular season, and it was his ejection in the playoffs that ruined everything. What should have happened was the player ejection galvanizing the team to pull off a herculean comeback, but instead the morale in the locker room was permanently tarnished.

Clippers have to start being more open to their fans instead of playing magician to keep others from uncovering their tricks. If they're afraid of something bad happening, don't be afraid to tell your fans, they will understand. That lesson may have be learned the hard way, when all their superstars will be taken away from them.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,505

Post#80 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun May 5, 2024 11:34 pm

it makes my head and heart hurt watching MPJ turn into such a solid pro- what a mistake it was to draft Robinson over him. I know the Clippers would still struggle if Kawhi is injured, but at least they'd have a great relatively young talent- undoubtedly one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA- so tall and with a quick release too. He has improved on defense as well.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers