An early summer 2024 thread

Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,475

Re: An early summer 2024 thread 

Post#81 » by og15 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:13 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:it makes my head and heart hurt watching MPJ turn into such a solid pro- what a mistake it was to draft Robinson over him. I know the Clippers would still struggle if Kawhi is injured, but at least they'd have a great relatively young talent- undoubtedly one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA- so tall and with a quick release too. He has improved on defense as well.

Yea, that’s defiinelty a tough one particularly because Robinson was considered a reach when he was drafted and many labelled it a bad pick even before anything happened. It wasn’t like a pick the consensus guy at that spot and he didn’t pan out, no, the Clippers went on a limb and it REALLY didn’t pan out. Though that one was a trusting Jerry West move and even the best at talent evaluation get it wrong, but that was a bad one.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#82 » by nickhx2 » Mon May 6, 2024 12:33 am

and one wonders if the clips FO might have been able to convince OKC to take porter in the trade, rather than SGA.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#83 » by Clemenza » Mon May 6, 2024 1:52 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:it makes my head and heart hurt watching MPJ turn into such a solid pro- what a mistake it was to draft Robinson over him. I know the Clippers would still struggle if Kawhi is injured, but at least they'd have a great relatively young talent- undoubtedly one of the best 3 point shooters in the NBA- so tall and with a quick release too. He has improved on defense as well.

What were watching and going through now is part of the fallout of having MPJ & SGA right there for the taking-sitting in our laps and ultimately winding up with neither one of them at the end of the day. They outsmart themselves every time. They have the hot loyal wife already at home but they lust the Instagram model that everybody wants or already had.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#84 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 2:32 am

Had we picked MPJ and assuming he’s basically the guy he is now, I think we have no idea how things would be now, in a butterfly flaps its wings way. I doubt we would have traded for James for example, which changes other stuff. We’d have to look all the way back to see what moves we might not have made each year. It would have definitely given us more room to work with to try to maximize 213.

It’s possible we even make a different trade when we got Kawhi and PG for that matter…
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#85 » by Clemenza » Mon May 6, 2024 2:42 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
Ballings7 wrote:The organization can't be stubborn and rest on the names and then just "accept" the obvious flaws and not talk about them. I want to see that come up over the coming year.

Their stubbornness comes from their desire to be loved. Every move they make is to steal attention away from their competitors. Keep Lue away from Lakers. Don't let George, Westbrook or Harden walk. Don't do anything that would upset and sway Leonard into leaving. Lose any or all of them, they're losers again. Clippers think more like a business team than they do a sports team. All this amounts to one thing: they're afraid of being compared to the Sterling-era Clippers. "The more things change, the more they stay the same," right?

It's not resting on the names, specifically, it's resting on their past accolades. The All-Star appearances, the league MVPs, the Finals MVP, their championship, no matter how big or small their contribution was. But when they recruit players, it's more petty. "We signed you because you defeated us, show us how you did it because now you're going to help us." Sound like anyone we know? Yeah: Clippers are Doc Rivers 2.0.

The last thing I want to see from them is being willing to take risks, no matter the consequences. They care more about their image, their brand, their reputation, how they're portrayed by their inner circle and close friends. They're afraid of losing all that and becoming labelled evil players. It all starts with their fear of getting ejected from a game. When Westbrook got thrown out in Game 3, it was validation that Clippers lied to us: supposedly he didn't honorably ask to come off the bench, it was Lawrence Frank who forced this in an attempt to "protect the shield." They were afraid that if he got thrown out, it would have led to a revolt, a fallout and a trade - more importantly, a forced rebuild. This was why we had zero player ejections the regular season, and it was his ejection in the playoffs that ruined everything. What should have happened was the player ejection galvanizing the team to pull off a herculean comeback, but instead the morale in the locker room was permanently tarnished.

Clippers have to start being more open to their fans instead of playing magician to keep others from uncovering their tricks. If they're afraid of something bad happening, don't be afraid to tell your fans, they will understand. That lesson may have be learned the hard way, when all their superstars will be taken away from them.

They definitely catered to Kawhi and his team way too much and all the secret sh*t really didn't start until he joined the team. I think one of his demands for coming here along with the PG trade was that the coach & front office could only reveal his injuries to the media & public until he gave them the say so. Of course nobody bought Russ willingly going to the bench. That didn't sound right at all, but I think it was the best move to make for all parties involved just so nobody comes off as the villain or selfish. I like Russ but it's time to completely move away from the old vets who have to start and demand minutes because of their past accomplishments. It's killing the team's growth and potential.

Kawhi has his bread. PG & Harden are next. After that don't cater to none of them. Move the franchise forward for a change. No more suggestions, no more signing their friends, nothing.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 787

Post#86 » by donemilio21 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:45 am

Gotta move on from the vets, gotta get younger.

8 teams remaining in the playoffs. Here is how many of those teams have a starting player who is older than 29.
Thunder = None
Cavs = None
Knicks = None
Nuggets = One (KCP)
Mavs = One (Kyrie)
Celtics = One (Jrue)
Pacers = One (Siakam)
Wolves = Two (Gobert & Conley)

We had 3 starters older than 29, only had 3 players younger than 30 in the rotation.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#87 » by Captain Ballmer » Mon May 6, 2024 2:28 pm

Looks like someone played his last game for Clippers.
Can't wait to see him on another team.

Read on Twitter
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#88 » by og15 » Mon May 6, 2024 2:39 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:Looks like someone played his last game for Clippers.

Read on Twitter

I'm not sure if that video suggests anything about where he will be going, but definitely after the season, players should be heading right to vacation, no point sitting around moping about what could have been. There are definitely teams that would want George, so hopefully the Clippers find a way to maintain him as an asset.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,768

Post#89 » by KL2 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:01 pm

donemilio21 wrote:Gotta move on from the vets, gotta get younger.

8 teams remaining in the playoffs. Here is how many of those teams have a starting player who is older than 29.
Thunder = None
Cavs = None
Knicks = None
Nuggets = One (KCP)
Mavs = One (Kyrie)
Celtics = One (Jrue)
Pacers = One (Siakam)

We had 3 starters older than 29, only had 3 players younger than 30 in the rotation.

That’s depressing. Especially knowing that the FO are probably scrabbling to figure out how to get older and slower.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,505

Post#90 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon May 6, 2024 3:19 pm

KL2 wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:Gotta move on from the vets, gotta get younger.

Thunder = None
Cavs = None
Knicks = None
Nuggets = One (KCP)
Mavs = One (Kyrie)
Celtics = One (Jrue)
Pacers = One (Siakam)

That’s depressing. Especially knowing that the FO are probably scrabbling to figure out how to get older and slower.

I wouldn't be opposed to recruiting Batum to come back. He's still an effective player- much better than Tucker.

You are right though- watch them go get CP3 and convince Blake Griffin to come out of retirement!
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#91 » by og15 » Mon May 6, 2024 3:34 pm

I thought Batum wanted to retire soon
KL2
Analyst

Post#92 » by KL2 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:03 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,505

Post#93 » by Roscoe Sheed » Mon May 6, 2024 4:27 pm

og15 wrote:I thought Batum wanted to retire soon

perhaps he would reconsider as he was still an effective player this season
KL2
Analyst

Post#94 » by KL2 » Mon May 6, 2024 4:29 pm

It’s going to be a train wreck right? You know you shouldn’t watch but can’t stop looking. Feel disgusted with yourself afterwards because you sat through the whole thing.

Read on Twitter
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#95 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 4:42 pm

Clemenza wrote:They definitely catered to Kawhi and his team way too much and all the secret sh*t really didn't start until he joined the team. I think one of his demands for coming here along with the PG trade was that the coach & front office could only reveal his injuries to the media & public until he gave them the say so. Of course nobody bought Russ willingly going to the bench. That didn't sound right at all, but I think it was the best move to make for all parties involved just so nobody comes off as the villain or selfish. I like Russ but it's time to completely move away from the old vets who have to start and demand minutes because of their past accomplishments. It's killing the team's growth and potential.

Kawhi has his bread. PG & Harden are next. After that don't cater to none of them. Move the franchise forward for a change. No more suggestions, no more signing their friends, nothing.

Over the course of the season I was fine with the rotations, as we were very much in a win now mode. We absolutely needed Theis because we traded away a bunch of bigs to get James, which then put Bones out of the rotation. Etc.

At this point though, even if we keep PG and Harden that can't be our main priority any more. We need to put Bones in the line up, we need to take a look at other guys too even if it costs us some games. Let Russ know this is the deal, and he can decide if he wants to pick up his option and live with the consequences. We might re-sign PG and James simply because otherwise we have nothing, but we need to start prioritizing the overall roster going forward because we're not a championship contender any more.

This series left such a bad taste in my mouth that I don't think we should budge from whatever the last deal we offered PG (probably around the same contract as Kawhi?) If he leaves he leaves. I'm more preferential to bringing James back, but only at the right contract as well. If they both leave, then we're considering cap space options, other trades, etc. If there's any value to be recovered next year from Kawhi and PG (and James), then we should go ahead and trade them (but that will only happen if they are on reasonable deals.)

It's a shame that 213 is over the hill, but letting go of any championship aspirations actually gives us more flexibility going forward even with all the draft picks and swaps going out. It sucks all those picks are going out, but we can't make decisions solely on trying to minimize that damage, that water is going under the bridge no matter what.

Finally, I listened to the last 213 podcast and man were they brutal to PG :lol: ("Paul George is a loser.") But I'm at the point where I almost hope he leaves, even if that means not being able to potentially trade and get something back later.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#96 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 4:45 pm

KL2 wrote:It’s going to be a train wreck right? You know you shouldn’t watch but can’t stop looking. Feel disgusted with yourself afterwards because you sat through the whole thing.

Read on Twitter

I don't hate Frank and consider him reasonably smart, but I don't think he's strong enough a GM to really be able to stand up for what's best for the roster. And I don't know what role Jerry West still plays in the org, if at all.

Frank will go up on stage and say the right things no matter what, instead of what he might really think. And that (along with Ballmer) is going to cloud his decision making. That is my main concern about Frank as a GM.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#97 » by Clemenza » Mon May 6, 2024 4:47 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:Looks like someone played his last game for Clippers.

Read on Twitter

So we're supposed get shots and videos of him crying and being depressed on camera?
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Post#98 » by MartinToVaught » Mon May 6, 2024 4:57 pm

It would have been nice for him to at least pretend he cared while the games were still being played, rather than giving a concession speech before Game 6.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers

Post#99 » by og15 » Mon May 6, 2024 5:15 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:It would have been nice for him to at least pretend he cared while the games were still being played, rather than giving a concession speech before Game 6.

Meh, one thing we learn from relationships (well, we should learn, many don't :lol: ) is that trying to judge other people's emotions or intent is a losing battle. Most people simply think that other people should act and react as they would or do, and that if they don't, it means they don't have the same concern. I don't know how much George cares, but judging it from certain things is not particularly accurate.

What I do know is that PG on contract is something the Clippers can use in a trade, that's my primary concern.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#100 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 5:25 pm

og15 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:It would have been nice for him to at least pretend he cared while the games were still being played, rather than giving a concession speech before Game 6.

Meh, one thing we learn from relationships (well, we should learn, many don't :lol: ) is that trying to judge other people's emotions or intent is a losing battle. Most people simply thing that other people should act and react as they would or do, and that if they don't, it means they don't have the same concern. I don't know how much George cares, but judging it from certain things is not particularly accurate.

What I do know is that PG on contract is something the Clippers can use in a trade, that's my primary concern.

I think a 3-year deal is a trade piece, a 4-year deal much less so. I don't think the Sixers are going to offer him a 4-year/$200M+ deal either, so we'll see what happens...

Return to Los Angeles Clippers