2. No

3. Trade him to the Lakers for a draft pick

4. Dont care.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,506

Re: Ty Lue 

Post#2 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed May 8, 2024 2:03 pm

I think Kenny Atkinson would likely coach this team just as well if not better- so, if he's available, I'd say trade Lue to the Lakers. If not, he's likely the next best option
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,768

Post#3 » by KL2 » Wed May 8, 2024 4:03 pm

I wish they’d move on from him but the FO are scared he’ll go to the Lakers. Not sure the Lakers are that hot for him to give up a draft pick either.

I like Atkinson the best but Dan Craig is right here too.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#4 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed May 8, 2024 4:19 pm

KL2 wrote:I wish they’d move on from him but the FO are scared he’ll go to the Lakers. Not sure the Lakers are that hot for him to give up a draft pick either.

I like Atkinson the best but Dan Craig is right here too.

As far as I know, Craig has never been an NBA head coach- that's why I'd prefer Atkinson- I thought he got a raw deal with the Nets and was a solid assistant for the Clippers
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,945

Post#5 » by esqtvd » Wed May 8, 2024 6:30 pm

Ty won 51 games with the oldest starting lineup in the league--when they were available. They went on a 26-5 run when they were, and when they weren't, Coffey, Plumlee, Hyland and Tucker all got 5 or more starts. 4th seed was a minor miracle and totally acceptable under those circumstances.

In the playoffs, a gimpy Kawhi was ineffective and when he went out, PG and Beard shat the bed.

Coaching was not the problem. As always with the Clippers, health was.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM

Post#6 » by Roscoe Sheed » Wed May 8, 2024 7:57 pm

esqtvd wrote:Ty won 51 games with the oldest starting lineup in the league--when they were available. They went on a 25-6 run when they were, and when they weren't, Coffey, Plumlee, Hyland and Tucker all got 5 or more starts. 4th seed was a minor miracle and totally acceptable under those circumstances.

In the playoffs, a gimpy Kawhi was ineffective and when he went out, PG and Beard shat the bed.

he did manage the regular season well, but certain aspects of the rotation in the playoffs were inexplicable- how can you continue to play Westbrook and Plumlee when they were playing so badly? They likely still would have lost, but you have to make proper adjustments
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Post#7 » by MartinToVaught » Wed May 8, 2024 8:23 pm

I was ready to pack Lue's bags for him after the play-in two years ago. The way he had no idea what to do when KAT fouled out and let the team implode is all I needed to see to know that his success the year before was a product of Kenny.

He really needed to go after last year when he subjected us to 30 minutes per game of Marcus Morris.

Sadly, the Clippers continue to learn nothing at all from past mistakes and will probably let Lue ruin several more eras of the team before they finally move on from him. And then they'll hire another "player's coach" just like him and restart the cycle.

If I was Ballmer, I'd throw unlimited money at Dan Hurley.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#8 » by esqtvd » Wed May 8, 2024 8:57 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
esqtvd wrote:Ty won 51 games with the oldest starting lineup in the league--when they were available. They went on a 25-6 run when they were, and when they weren't, Coffey, Plumlee, Hyland and Tucker all got 5 or more starts. 4th seed was a minor miracle and totally acceptable under those circumstances.

he did manage the regular season well, but certain aspects of the rotation in the playoffs were inexplicable- how can you continue to play Westbrook and Plumlee when they were playing so badly? They likely still would have lost, but you have to make proper adjustments

Bizarrely enough, Russ led the Clippers in plus/minus throughout the series despite his crap shooting percentages. And Plumlee was still better than Harden, KL, Coffey and of course Tucker. Plumlee averaged only 11 mpg and only got 2 minutes in Game 6. [Zu averaged 32 mpg.]

It would be legit to yank Ty's chain about not giving Theis a bit more of a try, but we're down to deck chairs on the Titanic at that point.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/traditional?PerMode=PerGame&SeasonType=Playoffs&TeamID=1610612746&dir=A&sort=PLUS_MINUS
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,768

Post#9 » by KL2 » Wed May 8, 2024 9:20 pm

I’d like a coach who’s willing to play everyone and make adjustments on the fly. Not wait 10 games to make a minor tweak and then end up playing the same 7-9 guys when it matters. Talk ad nauseam about how they have to play with pace and then watch iso ball and not call plays.

He’s more worried about catering to egos than put the right players on the floor. He plays the soft card but doesn’t hold all players accountable.

Both sides can be true in that a coaching change could be as welcomed as a players one.

But it really doesn’t matter what we think this team needs because it sounds like it’s headed to another run it back stance.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#10 » by esqtvd » Wed May 8, 2024 11:14 pm

KL2 wrote:I’d like a coach who’s willing to play everyone and make adjustments on the fly. Not wait 10 games to make a minor tweak and then end up playing the same 7-9 guys when it matters. Talk ad nauseam about how they have to play with pace and then watch iso ball and not call plays.

He’s more worried about catering to egos than put the right players on the floor. He plays the soft card but doesn’t hold all players accountable.

Both sides can be true in that a coaching change could be as welcomed as a players one.

But it really doesn’t matter what we think this team needs because it sounds like it’s headed to another run it back stance.

51 wins, 30+ different starting lineups, and the 4th seed.

The Clippers were perfectly positioned to make a serious run at the title if Kawhi hadn't pulled up lame. [AGAIN. :nonono:] That was the organizational goal for 2023-24 and Ty executed it. Can't eff around with G-Leaguers and still pretend you're taking the RS seriously.

As it stood, 9 Clippers played more than 1000 minutes this year, and two more--Plumlee and Hyland--played more than 500. That's a lot of moving parts. And the real problem this year was defense, and you get that from continuity, not "adjustments," whatever that means. Ty did nothing BUT adjust with the constant flux in player availability.

KL-PG-Beard-Zubac-Mann = 41 games
KL-PG-Beard-Zubac-Powell = 28 games
KL-PG-Westbrook-Zubac-Mann = 20 games

No other combination played more than 20. Even I was surprised at this. When you peel back the numbers, 51 wins was a helluva job.

https://www.nba.com/stats/lineups/traditional?TeamID=1610612746&dir=D&slug=traditional&sort=GP

As for the "kids," look for yourself. We'll take a deeper dive later.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAC/2024.html
LamarWho
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,124

Post#11 » by LamarWho » Thu May 9, 2024 12:25 am

Doc 2.0. But to Ballmer he's Pop 2.0. He will stick around for a long time.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#12 » by esqtvd » Thu May 9, 2024 1:25 am

More like Pandemic P 2.0, lol. Let's see if he dumps on Ty tomorrow like he did on Doc.

Read on Twitter
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,476

Post#13 » by og15 » Fri May 10, 2024 5:48 pm

esqtvd wrote:More like Pandemic P 2.0, lol. Let's see if he dumps on Ty tomorrow like he did on Doc.

Read on Twitter

No drama, they played too slow, didn't use the second side enough, too much iso, but hard to not want to hero it sometimes. Individually, should have been quicker to read what they were doing, the natural inclination of be more aggressive after the previous bad game played right into Dallas' hands.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#14 » by Clemenza » Sat May 11, 2024 5:49 pm

Might as well keep Lue. You let him go, if not Kenny Atkinson, then it's going to be a retread. Clipps aren't the team to hire a fresh face-newcomer.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers