Blake Griffin's Measurements.

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

jgustav1
Analyst
And1: 21

Re: Blake Griffin's Measurements. 

Post#21 » by jgustav1 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:59 am

illastrate wrote:
BTW, check out Thabeet's measurements. Dude's a freak of nature.

I was actually a little disappointed in Thabeet's measurements. I expected him to have close to an 8 foot wingspan (7'10"+) and 9'8" standing reach.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,534

Post#22 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sat May 30, 2009 4:37 pm

Perhaps they should try him at the 3 as mentioned above. Would allow for Z Bo to continue playing PF and Kaman/Camby at C
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#23 » by mkwest » Sat May 30, 2009 6:01 pm

I've been watching clips of him against other players of similar height recently and he ended up coming in about a half inch taller than I was expecting so that was a pleasant surprise. His length was a little underwhelming, but if you have watched him in college it was clear that his arm length was average to slightly "below average" by NBA standards. It doesn't sway me any, because his length was the same a week ago as it is today.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#24 » by richboy » Sat May 30, 2009 11:42 pm

Length doesn't make you as a player. Having long limbs is no sure fire way to become a HOFer. Reality though is you can not find a great player with short arms. Especially in the front court. You can say well he was productive in college. Shelden Williams was productive in college though. Shelden Williams with his alligator arms found a way to be one of the best 2 way players in college basketball history. At the NBA level though he can't defend. All those shot blocking records in college have become meaningless. Players shoot over him all day. His great post game has turned into a guy that just launches mid-range jumpers because he can't shoot over guys in the post. The only thing that translates is rebounds. Fact is though rebounding always translates.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
LifeLongFan
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#25 » by LifeLongFan » Mon Jun 1, 2009 5:12 pm

Great players find a way to overcome their weaknesses and find a way to make them their strength. I think Griffin has the best chance in this draft to be a great player and we need him. For his strength and especially his attitude and heart that he can bring this team who aside from their Rookie's and Thorton at times, didn't play with heart at all.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,864

Post#26 » by madmaxmedia » Mon Jun 1, 2009 8:25 pm

I'm sorta in-between on the impact of this. One one hand I do understand having really short arms is a hindrance. But if his standing reach was say just over 9 feet then would we be having this conversation? I mean there are so many basketball attributes beyond just how tall a guy can reach with both feet planted on the floor. There are a lot of tall guys with long standing reach who don't play in the NBA either. The guy also seems like a very intense competitor- would you trade that for 3 inches of standing reach?

I think his offensive game in college already reflects his shorter standing reach, in that he is not a back-to-the-basket, footwork type post player (which is not to say he'll be able to have thundering tomohawk jams every other possession in the NBA either.) As far as defense goes, I really haven't watched enough of him to have an opinion one way or the other.

My expectations have never been so much that Griffin becomes a perennial All-Star, at least right off the bat. I am expecting or hoping that he is the kind of guy that can help energize a team, lead by example, get a lot hustle points and some exciting dunks, and also be a very solid PF. Somebody like that can give the franchise some direction. Do that first, then we can talk about how he might further develop his game and really become an impact player.

Regardless, I still think the Clippers are still very fortunate just to be in the position to take him. Realistically a lot of potential doesn't pan out in the NBA, with different reasons for different players. So I don't consider this particular issue a absolute stamp of failure for Griffin's NBA career.
LifeLongFan
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#27 » by LifeLongFan » Wed Jun 3, 2009 7:49 pm

Might I add that one if not the best rebounder in the NBA was Dennis Rodman who is 6'6". I'll take heart and desire and toughness any day over height. He was pretty sick at defense too. Not to say Griffin is Rodman, but come on now.
connseanery
Sophomore
And1: 81

Post#28 » by connseanery » Thu Jun 4, 2009 7:03 am

I wouldn't get too hung up about the standing reach measurements. As a poster ponder276 noted in the nba draft forum, the measurments aren't particularly accurate.

In 2008:
- Danny Green measured 6' 4.5" in bare feet, with a 8' 4.5" standing reach
- Wayne Ellington measured 6' 3.75" in bare feet, with a 8' 5.5" standing reach

In 2009:
- Danny Green measured 6' 5.25" in bare feet, with a 8' 7" standing reach
- Wayne Ellington measured 6' 4.25" in bare feet, with a 8' 4" standing reach

All the wingspan, height, and particularly standing reach measurements have a margin of error. In the end, you are what you show on the court.
_BBIB_
Lead Assistant
And1: 15

Post#29 » by _BBIB_ » Sun Jun 7, 2009 7:12 pm

richboy wrote:Length doesn't make you as a player. Having long limbs is no sure fire way to become a HOFer. Reality though is you can not find a great player with short arms. Especially in the front court. You can say well he was productive in college. Shelden Williams was productive in college though. Shelden Williams with his alligator arms found a way to be one of the best 2 way players in college basketball history. At the NBA level though he can't defend. All those shot blocking records in college have become meaningless. Players shoot over him all day. His great post game has turned into a guy that just launches mid-range jumpers because he can't shoot over guys in the post. The only thing that translates is rebounds. Fact is though rebounding always translates.

Yeah except one problem with your theory, Shelden Williams is not even close to the athlete that Blake Griffin has shown to be.

Whatever Blake Griffin lacks with his arms fully extended in the air, he makes up with his elite combination of strength and athleticism.

Add in a great work ethic, and the Clippers have themselves one hellvua pick.

His FT shooting will prove more problematic than his length.

As far as his defense, he was one of the best rebounders in NCAA history this year, and he didn't contest as many shots as he could have because the Sooners could absolutely ill afford to have him in foul trouble.
Shaheen wrote:You wanna make a sig bet that Horford will not win this year? They will not even hit .500. Book it.
:lol:
arh1109
Pro Prospect
And1: 104

Post#30 » by arh1109 » Sun Jun 7, 2009 10:36 pm

Athletism does not make a difference in post defense other than shotblocking, and given his size Griffin will be average in that category. I think he's going to have more potential at the 3 spot than 4, and could play an Artest-style of defense if he gets the fundamentals down. Look out Lebron.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,864

Post#31 » by madmaxmedia » Sun Jun 7, 2009 11:09 pm

Not so much athleticism, but his strength and quickness can't but help at least a little in post defense.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,680

Post#32 » by hype_2004 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 6:29 pm

LifeLongFan wrote:Might I add that one if not the best rebounder in the NBA was Dennis Rodman who is 6'6". I'll take heart and desire and toughness any day over height. He was pretty sick at defense too. Not to say Griffin is Rodman, but come on now.

Dennis Rodman had exceptionally long arms for his size, He was a legit 6'8 in shoes and had a standing reach over 9 feet.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers