ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood (UPDATE: And A New Logo To Go With It)

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Re: Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood 

Post#321 » by WC NBA Fan » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:52 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:
WC NBA Fan wrote:
wco81 wrote:Crenshaw to LAX?

Isn't Crenshaw the hood? How many people there take flights?

Must run through downtown areas?

Seems like a train to the airport would also be useful to the suburbs.

What these rail lines do is connect people from all over LA county via transfer from other lines. For example, if you live in Santa Monica, you would take the Expo line to Crenshaw then transfer to the LAX Crenshaw line to get to LAX.

If you live in the valley, you would take the Orange line then transfer to the Red line subway in North Hollywood then transfer to the Expo line downtown then transfer to the LAX Crenshaw line at Crenshaw.

If you live in Duarte, Monrovia or Sierra Madre, you would take the gold line to Union Station then make your way to the Expo line and of course, transfer at Crenshaw to the LAX Crenshaw line. You can basically make your way to the Crenshaw LAX line from any other metro rail line provided you're willing to transfer enough.

Sounds yucky.

I lived in Chicago for a few years. I'd def catch the Orange Line to Midway (you could catch the Blue to O'Hare but I never did). I just got dropped off at the Orange and it was a straight shot. All that transferring sounds terrible and sounds like no way to travel at all.

:cry:

I've done the blue line to O'Hare. The Crenshaw line will be similar to that because it starts out underground then goes above then back under then above again.

You're right in that Chicago was smart as they connected all lines to the downtown loop so that if you have to transfer, you only have to do it once but for most people, you do have to transfer. For example, if you live on the West side near the Oak Park Green line station and want to get to O'hare, you would have to go downtown via the green line then transfer to the blue line and so on.

Not sure why LA couldn't have done something similar meaning instead of everyone transferring to the Crenshaw line, it could've been just one continuous line that broke off at Crenshaw and Expo and just kept going to the airport.
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 148

'Inglewood Arena' update 

Post#322 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Wed Jul 7, 2021 2:12 am

The Clippers provided a bit of an update in their most recent email:

"Also on the horizon, is a major milestone in the journey towards our own home. The Inglewood Basketball and Entertainment Center will break ground this September. More information will be shared in the coming months. We look forward to building towards a place we can call our own together.
Thank you is not enough for what we achieved during this extraordinary season. We’ve come a long way together, but this is just the beginning. We have more work to do.
Go Clips!"

http://go.clippers.com/index.php/email/emailWebview?md_id=11658&mkt_tok=MzM0LVBZTi0xNDAAAAF-A6sa8zzXd7hIV8wXzdQyYljKDOUCVCTYessAxxQyx4w1JreEDCvPHt1Xidk79NV3c8qWyglm3FFoDKj69X5oXeTr6_krunBAFtbzQfeEyQ
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Re: 'Inglewood Arena' update 

Post#323 » by WC NBA Fan » Thu Jul 8, 2021 9:09 pm

BenchOnaQUEST wrote:The Clippers provided a bit of an update in their most recent email:

"Also on the horizon, is a major milestone in the journey towards our own home. The Inglewood Basketball and Entertainment Center will break ground this September. More information will be shared in the coming months. We look forward to building towards a place we can call our own together.
Thank you is not enough for what we achieved during this extraordinary season. We’ve come a long way together, but this is just the beginning. We have more work to do.
Go Clips!"

http://go.clippers.com/index.php/email/emailWebview?md_id=11658&mkt_tok=MzM0LVBZTi0xNDAAAAF-A6sa8zzXd7hIV8wXzdQyYljKDOUCVCTYessAxxQyx4w1JreEDCvPHt1Xidk79NV3c8qWyglm3FFoDKj69X5oXeTr6_krunBAFtbzQfeEyQ

Thanks a ton!

You won't believe it. I was literally logging on to the official site to see if they had any news on the arena front when I got bombarded at work and lost my train of thought. Before going back to the site, I figured that I would check my emails and realgm since an associate said that they would email me some info and sure enough, I saw your post and you provided me with an update on the groundbreaking.

Great to hear! There was a tiny part of me that was worried that Ballmer was gonna pull a fast one since the Seattle arena is just weeks away from completion so it's great to see that
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#324 » by WC NBA Fan » Sun Aug 1, 2021 11:26 pm

Drove by the site today and there are some cool developments. There is now a construction trailer, some tractors and most importantly, an AECOM truck parked right on the north end of the construction site. Why is an AECOM truck relevant? Well, that's the design team in charge of the arena so they are clearly in pre-construction mode.

https://aecom.com/projects/inglewood-basketball-entertainment-center/
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,512

Post#325 » by Roscoe Sheed » Sun Aug 1, 2021 11:40 pm

WC NBA Fan wrote:Drove by the site today and there are some cool developments. There is now a construction trailer, some tractors and most importantly, an AECOM truck parked right on the north end of the construction site. Why is an AECOM truck relevant? Well, that's the design team in charge of the arena so they are clearly in pre-construction mode.

Where exactly is it? I drive by Hollywood Park often on my way to Costco, but I’m not sure where the exact arena site will be
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#326 » by esqtvd » Mon Aug 2, 2021 12:42 am

WC NBA Fan wrote:
BenchOnaQUEST wrote:The Clippers provided a bit of an update in their most recent email:

Go Clips!"

Thanks a ton!

You won't believe it. I was literally logging on to the official site to see if they had any news on the arena front when I got bombarded at work and lost my train of thought. Before going back to the site, I figured that I would check my emails and realgm since an associate said that they would email me some info and sure enough, I saw your post and you provided me with an update on the groundbreaking.

Great to hear! There was a tiny part of me that was worried that Ballmer was gonna pull a fast one since the Seattle arena is just weeks away from completion so it's great to see that

Ballmer already [over]paid $400 million to buy the Forum and surrounding grounds. He's all-in.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#327 » by WC NBA Fan » Mon Aug 2, 2021 1:14 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
WC NBA Fan wrote:Drove by the site today and there are some cool developments. There is now a construction trailer, some tractors and most importantly, an AECOM truck parked right on the north end of the construction site. Why is an AECOM truck relevant? Well, that's the design team in charge of the arena so they are clearly in pre-construction mode.

Where exactly is it? I drive by Hollywood Park often on my way to Costco, but I’m not sure where the exact arena site will be

It's on Century and Prairie but on the south side of the street whereas Sofi and the Kroenke development is on the north side of Century.

The public space or the area where the fans will congregate before and after the games will be where the cheap motel and the Church's chicken are now and then the arena will be basically where 102nd and Prairie is. 102nd street will be pretty torn up and the north half of the arena will be in the dirt area behind where the motel and Church's is now while the southern half of the arena will be in that dirt area on the south side of 102nd street which used to be grassy but is now all dirt.
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#328 » by WC NBA Fan » Mon Aug 2, 2021 1:16 am

esqtvd wrote:
WC NBA Fan wrote:

Thanks a ton!

Ballmer already [over]paid $400 million to buy the Forum and surrounding grounds. He's all-in.

Yeah, I was 99% sure it would happen. It was more or less a tongue in cheek comment on my part but you just never know. 1% could always happen, especially when there was so little news plus you have the type of FU money that Ballmer has.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#329 » by esqtvd » Mon Aug 2, 2021 2:28 am

WC NBA Fan wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
WC NBA Fan wrote:
Thanks a ton!

Yeah, I was 99% sure it would happen. It was more or less a tongue in cheek comment on my part but you just never know. 1% could always happen, especially when there was so little news plus you have the type of FU money that Ballmer has.

The Timberwolves just sold for $1.5 billion, which is about what a team in Seattle would be worth. The LA Clippers are valuated at $2.6-2.75 billion so a move to Seattle would cost Ballmer a cool billion off the top.

BTW, for tax purposes the Clippers lose money lol, which gives Ballmer additional writeoffs on his other income. Donald Sterling would be proud.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/263262/Clippers-Have-Reported-$700M-In-Losses-For-Tax-Purposes-In-Recent-Years
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,123

Sticky Request 

Post#330 » by Wammy Giveaway » Mon Aug 2, 2021 3:54 am

Mods, could you please make this a sticky thread?
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 534

Post#331 » by Kelphus » Mon Aug 2, 2021 4:56 am

Regarding taxes yes there is that amazing provision in the tax code which allows professional sports franchise owners to depreciate their team. Amazing. Anybody wanna buy one with me?
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Re: Clippers Might Relocate... To Inglewood (UPDATE: Construction Sighting) 

Post#332 » by WC NBA Fan » Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:22 pm

Here are a couple of my tweets with pics of the actual pre construction going on. Notice that the trucks are AECOM trucks which is important being that AECOM is the arena architects. Things are happening.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
TheNewEra
RealGM
And1: 10,429

Post#333 » by TheNewEra » Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:40 pm

Wonder who will be on the team for year one of the new arena
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#334 » by WC NBA Fan » Fri Aug 13, 2021 5:26 pm

TheNewEra wrote:Wonder who will be on the team for year one of the new arena

PG and Kawhi will still be under contract for year 1. Whether they'll be traded by then is another story but I'm gonna guess that they'll both be here but with the way rosters get turned over in the NBA, it wouldn't surprise me if they are the only 2 from the current roster that will be on the team in 2024-2025
BenchOnaQUEST
Junior
And1: 148

Clippers Inglewood Arena UPDATE: Construction... 

Post#335 » by BenchOnaQUEST » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:43 am

WC NBA Fan wrote:Here are a couple of my tweets with pics of the actual pre-construction going on. Notice that the trucks are AECOM trucks which is important being that AECOM is the arena architects. Things are happening.
Read on Twitter
(...)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing those, Max! Btw, this was posted yesterday:
Report: LA Clippers New Inglewood Arena Could Break Ground in August
The Clippers are moving full speed ahead with their new arena.(FARBOD E.,1 Day Ago)

"The Clippers are ready to move into Inglewood, and it looks like Inglewood is ready for them. According to a report from Arash Markazi, the Mayor of Inglewood is hoping to have the Clippers' new arena break ground in August.
“We hope to have them break ground before the end of August for the venue to be open for the first season in 2024,” Mayor James Butts said. “The Clippers arena will be done in time for the 2024-25 NBA season.”
Both Kawhi Leonard and Paul George have player contracts for the 2024-25 season. In an ideal world for the Clippers, they'll go into their new arena with their two marquee players that could hopefully win the franchise a championship before then."

Source: https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/clippers-new-inglewood-arena-could-break-ground-august
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Re: Clippers Inglewood Arena UPDATE: Construction... 

Post#336 » by WC NBA Fan » Thu Aug 19, 2021 4:15 pm

BenchOnaQUEST wrote:
WC NBA Fan wrote:Here are a couple of my tweets with pics of the actual pre-construction going on. Notice that the trucks are AECOM trucks which is important being that AECOM is the arena architects. Things are happening.
Read on Twitter
(...)

Awesome! Thanks for sharing those, Max! Btw, this was posted yesterday:
Report: LA Clippers New Inglewood Arena Could Break Ground in August
The Clippers are moving full speed ahead with their new arena.(FARBOD E.,1 Day Ago)

"The Clippers are ready to move into Inglewood, and it looks like Inglewood is ready for them. According to a report from Arash Markazi, the Mayor of Inglewood is hoping to have the Clippers' new arena break ground in August.
“We hope to have them break ground before the end of August for the venue to be open for the first season in 2024,” Mayor James Butts said. “The Clippers arena will be done in time for the 2024-25 NBA season.”
Both Kawhi Leonard and Paul George have player contracts for the 2024-25 season. In an ideal world for the Clippers, they'll go into their new arena with their two marquee players that could hopefully win the franchise a championship before then."

Source: https://www.si.com/nba/clippers/news/clippers-new-inglewood-arena-could-break-ground-august

Thanks Tony! I guess a lot depends on what they define as "groundbreaking". When the Kings broke ground on Golden 1 Center, it wasn't until after they completely demolished the mall and smoothed out the dirt. When it was time for actual excavation, they had a ground breaking ceremony.

Likewise for Inglewood, they will have to take a jackhammer to 102nd street, tear down the warehouse, bring down the telephone poles, re-arrange the fencing and at some point demolish the Church's chicken and the sleazy motel to get to the point of a Sacramento type ground breaking. I can't see them doing that in the next 13 days but I guess it's possible.

OTOH, if they just want to bring out a bin of dirt and invite a bunch of key political players and actual Clipper players like Ballmer, Butts, Zucker, Lue, Kawhi and PG to whip out some shovels and what not then they can definitely have a ground breaking ceremony of sorts tomorrow if need be.
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,123

Post#337 » by Wammy Giveaway » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Try saying *that* on national television. The FCC is gonna have a field day over this.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,773

Post#338 » by KL2 » Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:06 pm

Read on Twitter
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#339 » by WC NBA Fan » Mon Sep 6, 2021 11:42 pm

Church's chicken loses signage plus fencing has been put around it. Wrecking ball coming soon.

102nd street closed from both the west and east. I've been waiting for that. Need to tear up the street as well as take down the phone poles in order to get the arena ready.

Rodeway Inn still there but I'm guessing they're ripe for the wrecking ball any day now.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,773

Post#340 » by KL2 » Wed Sep 8, 2021 6:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers