Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 394

Re: Game #12: LAC (4-7) @ SPURS (3-10) MON 11/20, 5 PM 

Post#61 » by wakelaunch1 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 3:53 pm

og15 wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:Harden might overtake PG as the second best player on the team pretty soon. You can still see PG tryna initiate the offense as he brings the ball up, but he’s just not good at it. If Harden is on the court PG should never be bringing the rock up lol PGs man to man defense seems a little shaky but his team defense is still stellar.
Hmm I might even say Beard might be better than Kawhi or at least on par with him on most regular season nights, just because James might legit avg 10 assists with this team, making everyone’s job easier, especially Kawhi’s.
Fun game. It’s the Spurs but take it we will. Team is looking better by the game, which is much needed.

PG running the offense is a black hole. He dribbles too much and doesnt pass well. I like PG catching the the pass in the midrange where he gets off a nice midrange jumpshot. Kawhi/Harden pick and rolls will be deadly. Theis does all the little things well. Im giving him all of PJ Tuckers mins. Im trading Powell for another power forward and getting bones mins.

Being a point guard is not just about handles and being able to pass. PG is actually a good passer too in terms of the quality of shots he gets guys when he makes passes after drawing the defense. The thing is that being a PG is also about running the offense, getting guys to their spots, organizing everyone, and it's hard to just pick up at year 12/13 (past two seasons) and do it well.

Look at the Spurs trying to teach Sochan PG skills, he's in year 2, he's a TERRIBLE point guard, but, it's early, and there's no winning pressure, so he can go through the growing pains, and if primary or secondary ball handler / playmaker isn't the role for him, at least he tried.

PG is best when focusig on scoring and then playmaking out of his scoring when the defense closes in, vs trying to make plays. That said, you do want to distribute the bringing the ball up duties, just for a different look and to give guys some rest, so Kawhi and PG bringing the ball up and initiating once in a while is still fine

If Im the coach which obviously im not, if PG/Kawhi bring the ball up they need to forced to run an offensive set. Like immediately pass to start an offensive possession. As of right now most of the time, when they do, they slow dribble the ball, and then try to create for themselves. The other players tend to stand in their positions on the court, and dont really move around. If they have a bad miss, the other team leaks out and gets an easy basket. When a team makes at least 3 passes per offensive possession, everyone is more engaged and tends to play better team defense.

I looked up every power forward in the league and the only one that makes sense is Jonathan Issac for the Powell contract. Basically the same contract. both players make sense on each team. Orlando needs another professional scorer and the Clippers need more front court help. Its obvious what adding Theis just being a decent player does to the team. I still dont think Zubac is the long term answer if we want to win a championship. He had decent stats last night but he just doesnt fit with the guys. Hes slow, post moves are so so, doesnt defend well, and isnt a great lob threat. I think he should be a 10 min guy when we just need a big body.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#62 » by jengmann3 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:37 pm

wakelaunch1 wrote:
og15 wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:
PG running the offense is a black hole. He dribbles too much and doesnt pass well. I like PG catching the the pass in the midrange where he gets off a nice midrange jumpshot. Kawhi/Harden pick and rolls will be deadly. Theis does all the little things well. Im giving him all of PJ Tuckers mins. Im trading Powell for another power forward and getting bones mins.

Being a point guard is not just about handles and being able to pass. PG is actually a good passer too in terms of the quality of shots he gets guys when he makes passes after drawing the defense. The thing is that being a PG is also about running the offense, getting guys to their spots, organizing everyone, and it's hard to just pick up at year 12/13 (past two seasons) and do it well.

Look at the Spurs trying to teach Sochan PG skills, he's in year 2, he's a TERRIBLE point guard, but, it's early, and there's no winning pressure, so he can go through the growing pains, and if primary or secondary ball handler / playmaker isn't the role for him, at least he tried.

PG is best when focusig on scoring and then playmaking out of his scoring when the defense closes in, vs trying to make plays. That said, you do want to distribute the bringing the ball up duties, just for a different look and to give guys some rest, so Kawhi and PG bringing the ball up and initiating once in a while is still fine

If Im the coach which obviously im not, if PG/Kawhi bring the ball up they need to forced to run an offensive set. Like immediately pass to start an offensive possession. As of right now most of the time, when they do, they slow dribble the ball, and then try to create for themselves. The other players tend to stand in their positions on the court, and dont really move around. If they have a bad miss, the other team leaks out and gets an easy basket. When a team makes at least 3 passes per offensive possession, everyone is more engaged and tends to play better team defense.

I looked up every power forward in the league and the only one that makes sense is Jonathan Issac for the Powell contract. Basically the same contract. both players make sense on each team. Orlando needs another professional scorer and the Clippers need more front court help. Its obvious what adding Theis just being a decent player does to the team. I still dont think Zubac is the long term answer if we want to win a championship. He had decent stats last night but he just doesnt fit with the guys. Hes slow, post moves are so so, doesnt defend well, and isnt a great lob threat. I think he should be a 10 min guy when we just need a big body.

Yup, I am on the trade for Jonathan Isaac train too. It's tough, obviously to get someone like that you do have to trade someone pretty valuable. Powell can be frustrating at times, but his averages are pretty consistent and he scores in multiple ways. He doesn't die in big moments. I guess Tucker + Plumlee, or Tucker + Bones + Boston is probably not enough? My big thing is, and we'll find out soon enough, but who on this team will change the game defensively. I know Kawhi and PG have the reputation but they are 30 plus. I don't expect either of them to be dominated by their opposition but I don't see them as lockdown anymore. PJ, has heart but he's 35+ now. I like the idea of throwing Isaac at a Devin Booker or Brandon Ingram, or Anthony Edwards while putting Kawhi on a big where he can switch on screens if needed. I think Terrance Mann is supposed to be that guy, and he'll have his opportunities over the next couple months to show he is. But I don't think he's a good matchup for some of those guys like Luka or KD. But to have Isaac and Mann together would be pretty great.

The other side note/big thing we'll see in the next couple of weeks is forth quarter execution. I feel like the team has always force fed Kawhi multiple possessions at a time, and played ISO ball (the Milwaukee game last year comes to mind, even the Orlando game a couple weeks ago had shades of this). I really hope Harden has the ball in his hands at the end of games.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,515

Post#63 » by og15 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 5:42 pm

jengmann3 wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:
og15 wrote:Being a point guard is not just about handles and being able to pass. PG is actually a good passer too in terms of the quality of shots he gets guys when he makes passes after drawing the defense. The thing is that being a PG is also about running the offense, getting guys to their spots, organizing everyone, and it's hard to just pick up at year 12/13 (past two seasons) and do it well.

Yup, I am on the trade for Jonathan Isaac train too. It's tough, obviously to get someone like that you do have to trade someone pretty valuable. Powell can be frustrating at times, but his averages are pretty consistent and he scores in multiple ways. He doesn't die in big moments. I guess Tucker + Plumlee, or Tucker + Bones + Boston is probably not enough? My big thing is, and we'll find out soon enough, but who on this team will change the game defensively. I know Kawhi and PG have the reputation but they are 30 plus. I don't expect either of them to be dominated by their opposition but I don't see them as lockdown anymore. PJ, has heart but he's 35+ now. I like the idea of throwing Isaac at a Devin Booker or Brandon Ingram, or Anthony Edwards while putting Kawhi on a big where he can switch on screens if needed. I think Terrance Mann is supposed to be that guy, and he'll have his opportunities over the next couple months to show he is. But I don't think he's a good matchup for some of those guys like Luka or KD. But to have Isaac and Mann together would be pretty great.

The other side note/big thing we'll see in the next couple of weeks is forth quarter execution. I feel like the team has always force fed Kawhi multiple possessions at a time, and played ISO ball (the Milwaukee game last year comes to mind, even the Orlando game a couple weeks ago had shades of this). I really hope Harden has the ball in his hands at the end of games.

In a vacuum, Isaac is a great option, but he played 11 games his last three years, had two ACL injuries, so he's quite the injury risk to trade for.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 394

Post#64 » by wakelaunch1 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:01 pm

og15 wrote:
jengmann3 wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:

In a vacuum, Isaac is a great option, but he played 11 games his last three years, had two ACL injuries, so he's quite the injury risk to trade for.

I do agree its a risk, but I think its a risk worth taking. We have so much scoring and not enough defense. Having only Zubac and Theis as front court players is terrible. I consider PJ tucker washed at this point.

Guards
Harden
Bones
Russ

Wings
Mann
Kawhi
PG

Front court
Zubac
Isaac
Theis
tucker
Not playing
plumlee injured
Brown
Boston
Coffey

Just so much better roster construction.
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#65 » by ERClips » Tue Nov 21, 2023 6:43 pm

I think it all depends on how the team plays and if we’re winning games as currently constructed in the coming weeks. If we’re winning then a trade won’t really be necessary. Especially for an often injured player and with Plumlee coming back. Zu, Theis & Mason would be a solid, if not spectacular, front court rotation of bigs. Eventually throw Kobe some of Tucker’s minutes for development too. Maybe by the ASB we assess and look at how to upgrade for a playoff push. Or maybe not?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#66 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:22 pm

The High Cyde wrote:Harden might overtake PG as the second best player on the team pretty soon. You can still see PG tryna initiate the offense as he brings the ball up, but he’s just not good at it. If Harden is on the court PG should never be bringing the rock up lol PGs man to man defense seems a little shaky but his team defense is still stellar.
Hmm I might even say Beard might be better than Kawhi or at least on par with him on most regular season nights, just because James might legit avg 10 assists with this team, making everyone’s job easier, especially Kawhi’s.
Fun game. It’s the Spurs but take it we will. Team is looking better by the game, which is much needed.

100% agreed. I mean we all knew James has his warts which is why we were able to land him at all (and these will hurt us at times, mainly the defense.) But his strengths are really quite clear- he's still absolutely an elite scorer and playmaker. I get they just played one of the worst teams in the league, but we are looking at all 3 guys at the same time against the same competition. Where the other 2 are obviously better is defense, but the potential for a great trio is there.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,515

Post#67 » by og15 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:45 pm

The High Cyde wrote:Harden might overtake PG as the second best *offensive* player on the team pretty soon. You can still see PG tryna initiate the offense as he brings the ball up, but he’s just not good at it. If Harden is on the court PG should never be bringing the rock up lol PGs man to man defense seems a little shaky but his team defense is still stellar.

I'll add offensive in there, because defensively,
PG's activity and ability to get hands on the ball and close passing spaces, and even on his worst defensive night he's much better than Harden on that end. I'm not sure Harden can have enough of an offensive gap over PG at 24-25 ppg / 60%+ TS, especially because Harden tends to have some playoff hiccups.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#68 » by nickhx2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 8:48 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:

100% agreed. I mean we all knew James has his warts which is why we were able to land him at all (and these will hurt us at times, mainly the defense.) But his strengths are really quite clear- he's still absolutely an elite scorer and playmaker. I get they just played one of the worst teams in the league, but we are looking at all 3 guys at the same time against the same competition. Where the other 2 are obviously better is defense, but the potential for a great trio is there.

i'm about as big a non-fan of james harden as you can get, but he certainly is changing the complexion of how the offense works: particularly with PG/kawhi. additionally, he just makes those obnoxiously tough shots from distance, or mid-range, and it's SO reliable. it's almost like when you'd watch luke or jj take an open 3 and you'd be shocked if they missed. you just kinda get this feeling that harden can't really miss (despite him not shooting all that well against the spurs). and it's that shooting and passing will begin to change the offense into something special, once kawhi starts to find himself again, not to mention that harden himself is still adjusting.

as a sidenote: i still absolutely do see that harden's still taking some time to get into his typical game shape. i don't know how much more he can go, but he's for sure better off than he was to start with us. and fwiw i think you see it more in his defense than on offense. like, he's still gonna just zero-effort it at times and make you go "this guy.." more than you'd like, but at the same time he surprises me in several spots with effort i never would have expected, and i feel like those instances have gradually increased from game to game.

overall, have to say he's offering more than i would have thought he would, for sure.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#69 » by nickhx2 » Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:00 pm

og15 wrote:
The High Cyde wrote:Harden might overtake PG as the second best *offensive* player on the team pretty soon. You can still see PG tryna initiate the offense as he brings the ball up, but he’s just not good at it. If Harden is on the court PG should never be bringing the rock up lol PGs man to man defense seems a little shaky but his team defense is still stellar.

PG's activity and ability to get hands on the ball and close passing spaces, and even on his worst defensive night he's much better than Harden on that end. I'm not sure Harden can have enough of an offensive gap over PG at 24-25 ppg / 60%+ TS, especially because Harden tends to have some playoff hiccups.

good point, and i think it bears mentioning about pg's defense as well: i think he's been playing really well on that end all year and he was really present last night in particular - which is sometimes something we don't see from him, usually when he's in his own head

as far as the playoffs, i'm sure hoping for a few things:

- when harden's off, PG's on

- when PG's off, harden's on

- whatever the heck either of them do, kawhi's turned into his usual uberhuman self and carries the team through any potential valleys those guys might go through.

i mean that's the whole point of having multiple stars, right? one guy isn't cutting it, so the others step up. and fortunately for us, when healthy, kawhi is a guy who doesn't just show up for playoff games, he's the main attraction - something that can greatly relieve and benefit guys like pg/harden, given their respective playoff foibles.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#70 » by Captain Ballmer » Wed Nov 22, 2023 11:38 am

og15 wrote:

Speaking of PG13' defense; He is among leaders on deflections.

Read on Twitter
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6

Return to Los Angeles Clippers