ImageImageImageImageImage

GAME #27: LAC (16-10) @ MAVS (16-10) WEDNESDAY 12/19—5:30 PM

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,511

Re: GAME #27: LAC (16-10) @ MAVS (16-10) WEDNESDAY 12/19—5:30 PM 

Post#61 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:52 am

jengmann3 wrote:idk, I feel like Kawhi's jumper just wasn't on tonight. He took some good shots but just missed. He's eventually going to have some 9-22 games. Not for lack of effort just the law of averages.
Same with Harden. I didn't think he took bad shots but he just missed. He hit some huge 3s in the 4th.
I thought Russ and Norm were great tonight. I know Russ airballed a 3 and had some tough misses (the scoop in the lane to end the third was tough) but he brought the energy. Norm is great in his role. I'm learning to live with his quick shots, and isos. He's earned it pretty much.
Overall solid win. Tomorrow's a much bigger test, against a healthy OKC team that can throw just as many body's at Kawhi, and has a bit more help for their main superstar SGA. Not going to say it's a measuring stick cuz the team is on the right path regardless, but it would be nice to get a win.

that game will be tough tomorrow as it looks like Kawhi took a hip pointer and PG might still be out.

Might need Harden to don his cape
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,511

Post#62 » by Roscoe Sheed » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:54 am

I was impressed that the Clippers kept their composure after blowing the big lead. Also, they were able to fade the poor officiating as well. Seemed like nearly all of the 50/50 calls went in the Mavs favor
Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,123

Post#63 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:15 am

jengmann3 wrote:Tomorrow's a much bigger test, against a healthy OKC team that can throw just as many body's at Kawhi, and has a bit more help for their main superstar SGA. Not going to say it's a measuring stick cuz the team is on the right path regardless, but it would be nice to get a win.

It's also the ultimate test. Clippers made trade with Thunder to get George as condition to signing Leonard. Not only did they win the season series last year, they got a first career ejection on Mann. Every game we have Clippers-Thunder, there's questions about whether the trade they made was a mistake, giving up Shai Gilgeous-Alexander for a dynamic duo that hasn't panned out, and now has resorted to a Fantastic 4/Big 3 with the Harden trade.

If push comes to shove, we may get a Clippers-Thunder playoff series. Part rematch after having lost to them in 2014 (the infamous phantom out-of-bounds and Paul's foul on Westbrook's 3-point attempt), part reckoning where whoever wins the series wins the trade. If Thunder wins that series, Clipper's George trade will be deemed the worst mistake in NBA history, if not all of professional sports. Can you imagine if their championship chances rested on that series? The pressure on Clippers will be astronomically surreal.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#64 » by madmaxmedia » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:23 am

MartinToVaught wrote:It's crazy that Kidd just... never sat Luka. He's running Finals Game 7 rotations before Christmas.

Without Luka playing nearly the entire game, we woulda absolutely blown them out.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Post#65 » by esqtvd » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:36 am

Bobbymcgee wrote:The Clippers should probably just sit Leonard and George tomorrow and limit Harden's minutes against OKC as well. Rest up for the matinee on Saturday at home against Boston.

As soon as Kawhi sits, everything goes to hell. When he's not your leading scorer he's our ultimate glue guy. But let's be honest--Doncic played 44 minutes tonight, but he's still only 23!

So Ty keeps on trying to make the Beard + Russ combo work. And he should. If it can, our problems are over. Did I hear that they were plus+16 together tonight? They've been like minus-infinity so far, that's why Russ has been eating pine.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#66 » by esqtvd » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:44 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
jengmann3 wrote:Tomorrow's a much bigger test, against a healthy OKC team that can throw just as many body's at Kawhi, and has a bit more help for their main superstar SGA. Not going to say it's a measuring stick cuz the team is on the right path regardless, but it would be nice to get a win.

It's also the ultimate test. Clippers made trade with Thunder to get George as condition to signing Leonard. Not only did they win the season series last year, they got a first career ejection on Mann. Every game we have Clippers-Thunder, there's questions about whether the trade they made was a mistake, giving up Shai Gilgeous-Alexander for a dynamic duo that hasn't panned out, and now has resorted to a Fantastic 4/Big 3 with the Harden trade.

If push comes to shove, we may get a Clippers-Thunder playoff series. Part rematch after having lost to them in 2014 (the infamous phantom out-of-bounds and Paul's foul on Westbrook's 3-point attempt), part reckoning where whoever wins the series wins the trade. If Thunder wins that series, Clipper's George trade will be deemed the worst mistake in NBA history, if not all of professional sports. Can you imagine if their championship chances rested on that series? The pressure on Clippers will be astronomically surreal.

With all due respect, everyone on the current Clippers roster wants to forget all of Clippers history. They're here to rewrite it.

This is why Ballmer doesn't hold Corey Maggette Night or retire any numbers. From the owner on down, it's Fkk that Shtt. That's why they came here.

Danny Manning can s**k my d**k. And at the moment, Chris Paul too.

WE HAVE NO HISTORY. The future is now.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,377

Post#67 » by Scoundreldays » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:17 am

This team continues to impress and show how much stronger they are mentally when opposing teams make runs. Most of the 213 era teams from 2020 to last year would've folded. Only exception I feel is the 2021 team in the playoffs before Kawhi got hurt.
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#68 » by KingCrimzzon » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:41 am

esqtvd wrote:With all due respect, everyone on the current Clippers roster wants to forget all of Clippers history. They're here to rewrite it.

This is why Ballmer doesn't hold Corey Maggette Night or retire any numbers. From the owner on down, it's Fkk that Shtt. That's why they came here.

I don't doubt that this is the case since most of Clipper history is actually pretty bad. The best remedy: win that Larry O-B! If they keep this up, maybe they will have a chance. Ballmer is literally banking on it.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,292

Post#69 » by Clemenza » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:43 am

Bobbymcgee wrote:The Clippers should probably just sit Leonard and George tomorrow and limit Harden's minutes against OKC as well. Rest up for the matinee on Saturday at home against Boston.

I'm thinking this is the move. I'm 70% convinced Kawhi is sitting out tomorrow
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,292

Post#70 » by Clemenza » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:46 am

Wammy Giveaway wrote:

What is the point of this post?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#71 » by esqtvd » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:00 am

KingCrimzzon wrote:
esqtvd wrote:With all due respect, everyone on the current Clippers roster wants to forget all of Clippers history. They're here to rewrite it.

I don't doubt that this is the case since most of Clipper history is actually pretty bad. The best remedy: win that Larry O-B! If they keep this up, maybe they will have a chance. Ballmer is literally banking on it.

Ballmer is making money regardless. He bought the Clippers for $2.2 billion. By latest estimates, worth $4 billion now. Just sayin'.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#72 » by Captain Ballmer » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:12 am

Read on Twitter

OKC matchup for tomorrow is gonna be the biggest test this team will face for now.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,312

Post#73 » by Dynamix » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:24 am

Obviously after being up 22 you'd hope to blow them out and get to rest everyone in the 4th, but things don't always work out perfectly. Winning these "ugly" games is important too, since that's usually what you'll see in the playoffs.

Great composure down the stretch, Kawhi stopped settling for tough jumpers and took care of business at the rim. Just a shame about his fall on what was the last competitive possession of the game. I don't care if he sits out tomorrow and we lose, just please Lord almighty let it be something minor.

Norm is simply incredible, even while feeling sick or with a hurt elbow, he keeps delivering crucial buckets to keep opponents at bay. The big three will get a lot of rightful praise for this streak, but Norm should be right up there as well. Looks solid off the bench, looks solid with the starters, never shy about taking a shot when we need it most.

Was expecting a bigger game from T-Mann, he's the final piece that has to be unlocked for us to reach our true potential. Still think he fits in best with the starters, while Amir can be huge for us on nights like these when a star is out.

We could've done a better job getting Zu more involved on offense throughout the entire game, not just in that quick stretch when he scored most of his points. We got a bit too three point happy, fortunately it didn't end up costing us.

Russ had a few bad misses, but also some great plays and was quite efficient overall. Enjoyed seeing him take on the Luka assignment a few times, doing everything legally allowed to bother him.

Not sure how much they'll have left for OKC, especially if Kawhi is out. This has "scheduled loss" written all over it, but maybe PG returns feeling fresh and keeps the streak going.

An undefeated month of December would be amazing after those early struggles, but even with a loss or two it's still an impressive turnaround. Haven't gotten used to this new "we could probably win against anyone if healthy, rested and focused" reality. After that Denver loss I checked our upcoming schedule and honestly thought Ty might be done before the end of the year. Really glad it didn't happen.

Now let's all send our positive vibes to Kawhi's hip and Norm's elbow.
Dynamix
Starter

Post#74 » by Dynamix » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:28 am

Clemenza wrote:
Wammy Giveaway wrote:

You've been on this board long enough to know that Wammy enjoys coming up with all sorts of narratives and sometimes gets a bit carried away.
Dynamix
Starter

They wouldn't lie to us, would they? 

Post#75 » by Dynamix » Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:11 am

Read on Twitter
Dynamix
Starter

You love to see it 

Post#76 » by Dynamix » Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:11 am

PeteyPablo
Rookie
And1: 831

Post#77 » by PeteyPablo » Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:47 pm

Daniel Theis had a very good game in 16 minutes

2-2 threes , 4-4 field goals, 11 points
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,517

Post#78 » by og15 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:21 pm

jengmann3 wrote:idk, I feel like Kawhi's jumper just wasn't on tonight. He took some good shots but just missed. He's eventually going to have some 9-22 games. Not for lack of effort just the law of averages.
Same with Harden. I didn't think he took bad shots but he just missed. He hit some huge 3s in the 4th.
I thought Russ and Norm were great tonight. I know Russ airballed a 3 and had some tough misses (the scoop in the lane to end the third was tough) but he brought the energy. Norm is great in his role. I'm learning to live with his quick shots, and isos. He's earned it pretty much.
Overall solid win. Tomorrow's a much bigger test, against a healthy OKC team that can throw just as many body's at Kawhi, and has a bit more help for their main superstar SGA. Not going to say it's a measuring stick cuz the team is on the right path regardless, but it would be nice to get a win.

Yea, some days your shots won't fall, it happens, can't shoot good to great every night even if you REALLY wanted to.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,437

Post#79 » by TrueLAfan » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:51 pm

Loved the win. Loved it. Were the Mavs missing Kyrie and some parts? Sure. Were the Mavs 5-2 in their last 7 games? Yup. Did we jump out on them? Yup. Did we give up the lead (after a long time)? Yup. Did we lock down and take it from them in the fourth? Oh yes.

Sometimes imperfect wins tell you more. PG was out. Harden had a mediocre to good game through three. Zu and Mann were average. We won because of Coffey, Powell, Westbrook, and Thies. They were the ones that built the big lead. Coffey and Norm combined for 13 in the 4th (on 5 shots). We outhustled them and outrebounded them in clutch time. Harden was clutch. I loved the win.

Tonight is gonna be rough. I’m going to guess that Kawhi will sit (good for him) and PG is going to try to play against (one of his) old team(s) and the team that he came here from. Wish we had Plumlee to give us a body against Chet. But I think it’s—again—going to come down to Westbrook. Powell, Coffey and Thies. If we can get anythingg like what we got out of those four last night—which was fantastic:

128 minutes: 54 pts, 16 reb, 10 ast, 4 stl, 6 TO, 19-29 shooting

then we’ll be competitive.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#80 » by jengmann3 » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:26 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Wammy Giveaway wrote:

lol. I kinda get it. But to be honest, many of the potential matchups will have a bunch of narratives/storylines that the media will eat up (Mavericks (Luka v Kawhi pt3), Lakers(Battle of LA, Lebron vs Kawhi), Nuggets (3-1 redemption), Suns (last 2 playoff losses, KD vs Kawhi, Booker vs PG). Losing in general will be tough but any one of those series would be pretty rough. I don't know if OKC feels like a rivalry game, I just think its a very good matchup. I don't think PG takes the matchup with SGA personal. I remember last year Dort had a decent game defensively against Kawhi and had Twitter going crazy, and the next game Kawhi barely missed a shot. I think if healthy (Tatum missed the last game), the Boston game will be more of a test. I'm from Boston, the team is pretty great this year.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers