Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,957

Re: GAME #52: WOLVES (36-16) @ LAC (35-16) MON 2/12—7:30PM, NBA-TV 

Post#61 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:47 am

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
KL2 wrote:This team is allergic to taking the 1st seed or taking advantage when the top teams lose.

These T-Pups guys are pretty good. They're in first place after all.

PG [groin], Zu [calf], and Powell [fked up face] just aren't right. Mann is non-existent. Kawhi does NOT dive on the floor in February. Beard doesn't dive at all.

The T-Wolves WANTED this. A STATEMENT game. The Clips played this like a scrimmage. Don't get hurt.

How many more games are we going to use the PG groin excuse? Looked pretty ok against a pathetic team no?
Let's face it. PG is simply not a big game player. If Kawhi doesn't put up 35 against a good team then we're pretty much toast.
There's only this much you can put on Mann. Yeah he needs to be taken out of the starting 5 but there's a reason we're paying PG max money.

FTR, I don't even think Mann should be taken out of the starting 5. I don't think Russ or Norm or Coffey will be better in that role.

I'm just saying that whoever said "Terance Mann is the future" is getting their face rubbed in it. Ty has given him every chance to be an NBA starter and he's...LVP?

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#62 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:21 am

wakelaunch1 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
ERClips wrote:
I don’t think anyone is blaming Mann for this horrible performance by our whole team. But Mann is basically a net ZERO every game now. Just a guy on the court.

Thank you ER. Looks like MTV just revealed 'wakelaunch' AGAIN as his phony account sock puppet. :lol:

He's been telling this lie on me for YEARS. I never said any such thing. I don't even think Coffey should replace Mann in the starting lineup--at least for now.

But dammm but Mann is getting more and more timid to hold his starting place. 22 minutes, 2 points, 2 rebs and 1 assist. WTF. Fkn useless.

say that to my face.

LOL. Whose face?

Thank you ER. Looks like MTV just revealed 'wakelaunch' AGAIN as his phony account sock puppet. :lol:

Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,292

Post#63 » by Clemenza » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:22 am

esqtvd wrote:
KL2 wrote:This team is allergic to taking the 1st seed or taking advantage when the top teams lose.

PG [groin], Zu [calf], and Powell [fked up face] just aren't right. Mann is non-existent. Kawhi does NOT dive on the floor in February. Beard doesn't dive at all.

The T-Wolves WANTED this. A STATEMENT game. The Clips played this like a scrimmage. Don't get hurt.

Yeah the team injury status always comes out before the game, and when they scream out that everyone is available to play tonight but we all know about PG, Zu far from 100% and now Norm who was squirming around in his own blood all over the court on Saturday.. its a total head scratcher. Its like they want to make these guys sound brave for suiting but really it just hurts the team and costs us in the long run.

Oh well, Golden State is playing much better these days but one positive for us is that they're small as hell team wise. Lets hope for the best.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,292

Post#64 » by Clemenza » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:26 am

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

How many more games are we going to use the PG groin excuse? Looked pretty ok against a pathetic team no?
Let's face it. PG is simply not a big game player. If Kawhi doesn't put up 35 against a good team then we're pretty much toast.
There's only this much you can put on Mann. Yeah he needs to be taken out of the starting 5 but there's a reason we're paying PG max money.

It also looks like its twice in a row that Kawhi can't go off with McDaniels guarding him. PG wasn't all that tonight but it was more the underperforming center position and our backup guards not putting points on the board.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#65 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am

Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Yeah the team injury status always comes out before the game, and when they scream out that everyone is available to play tonight but we all know about PG, Zu far from 100% and now Norm who was squirming around in his own blood all over the court on Saturday.. its a total head scratcher. Its like they want to make these guys sound brave for suiting but really it just hurts the team and costs us in the long run.

I think playing hurt is the NEW way. FKK 'Load management." If you can suit up, then suit up and give it your best.

Set an example for Kawhi. :wink:
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,312

Post#66 » by Dynamix » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:27 am

Pretty deflating loss, but still have faith they can figure things out when it matters most. Just keep winning games, stay healthy, and we'll see where the chips fall.

As a top 15 coach likes to say when rallying his troops:

"COME ON, GUYS!"
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 942

Post#67 » by NickP » Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:49 pm

esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

I think playing hurt is the NEW way. FKK 'Load management." If you can suit up, then suit up and give it your best.

Set what example for Kawhi? Kawhi when healthy is a top 5 player in the league. If anything Kawhi averaging 30 ppg in a stretch of games should set an example for PG. Enough with the Kawhi bashing bro!
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,773

Post#68 » by KL2 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:21 pm

Read on Twitter
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,020

Post#69 » by clipperlover » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:38 pm

Terrible loss. For a team that has a "Give No Quarter" motto, last night is embarrassing. Not only did we lose 3 quarters, but we were outscored by more in the third than we scored.

2nd time in a week that we had a chance to take 1st place in the West and we failed both times. Went 1-2 on this home stand.

It was 70-69 with 4:29 left to go in the 3rd. We had committed 3 shooting fouls on our 4 fouls leading up to the bonus, so that is never good. It was a 4 pt game when Harden and Mann were replaced by Norm and Coffey.

We didn't end the quarter strong and they did. They were able to make 8 Fts over those last 4:29. They scored on 9 of their last 11 possessions and one of those failures, they grabbed an offensive rebound and scored on it. Clips scored on two of their 11 possessions totaling 3 pts.

At that point, the momentum was completely on Minny's side. We didn't do anything at the start of the 4th to seize back that momentum, so Ty sat Kawhi the rest of the game. No reason to trot him out there again when his teammates were providing no help. Kawhi's end of the 2nd quarter should have been enough to rally the troops.

It wasn't until less than 4 minutes to go in the game when we reached Minny's pt total at the end of the 3rd. Straight up embarrassing.
jengmann3
Sophomore
And1: 107

Post#70 » by jengmann3 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:52 pm

Not that concerned but did cancel my league pass. Mostly everyone played poorly. Id expect better games from pg, kawhi, and norm in the future. I don't think kawhi played too bad, just a bit too many careless turnovers. I do think amir should've gotten more minutes and if u r gonna put pj tucker in the rotation it should be for matchups like that with Kat, Naz Reid, and even Ant. I also noticed that our bigs often times weren't matched up with theirs which caused rebounding problems. I think pg needs to play well for this team to reach its potential.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,437

This and Not This 

Post#71 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:09 pm

Scoundreldays wrote:We were bound to have a rough stretch eventually. Luckily the break is right around the corner

This. We climbed back into contention for the top seed. Now we have to stay there. We look mentally gassed right now.

esqtvd wrote:These T-Pups guys are pretty good. They're in first place after all.

This. We let down last night, and if we want to be a championshp team, we just can’t let down like that against good teams.

Look, I like Mann a lot. I’m also aware of what he is; a good player, but one that doesn’t have a fixed role or focused skillset. If he was a 3 and D guy, that would be fine—but he doesn’t shoot enough threes at a good enough clip to be anything like that. If he was a scorer, that would be fine—but he struggles to get a point for every three minutes of court time. Terance tries hard and shows up, and those are great qualities. But they haven’t been adding up to impact.

NickP wrote:How many more games are we going to use the PG groin excuse? Looked pretty ok against a pathetic team no?

Oh, ffs. Not this. You’re a better poster than this, man. It’s been two weeks. Two weeks since the end of January. PG got hurt at the very end of the Boston game on January 27. Not hidden. Not a mystery. In that game, and the 12 games before, we went 11-2. PG put up this line: 33.5 mpg, 24.2 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 2.4 apg on 50/46/87 shooting. We beat Miami, New Orleans, Phoenix (twice), OKC, Brooklyn, and split with the Lakers in that span. “Big games.” And those numbers are only (very) slightly different than his previous three months (34.6 mpg, 22.9 ppg, 5.6 rpg, 4.0 apg, 45/40/93 splits). That’s the way it is.

Since he got hurt, he’ s only missed one game, but he’s playing less and markedly less well overall—17.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg on 40/26/92 splits. I admire that PG wants to play (he’s played 49 out of 52 games); I think he and Kawhi are trying really hard to make a statement about the load management narrative of the last few seasons. But it’s clear he's hurting and needs some rest. Bro, take a few games off.

jengmann3 wrote:Honestly it was a competitive game until mid way through the third. Russ and Norm struggled a lot and going small didn't work as well in the second half as Edwards and Towns went anywhere they wanted. That's y I don't get the lack of urgency with getting a big. We can't even cover naz Reed.

This. Surprised we held onto Bones at the deadline; we could have converted him into a couple of seconds or a low rotation big. I noted on anoher thread that I thought Xavier Tillman Sr. was/is going to help the Celtics. He’s a solid 6’8-6’9” wide body with wingspan that plays bigger than his size, especially on D.

Chimezie Metu got released. He’s not a major player or even a top rotation guy, but he would be a smart pickup for us, imo. Local college guy. He’s a 9th-10th man minutes eater. Production is consistent in different court time situations. 6’9.5 in shoes with a 7’ plus wingspan, athletic, plays at about 230 now. He doesn’t fit in with the rebuilding they want to do in Charlotte, even though he’s only 26 (almost 27). I mean, he’s far from a perfect player; his perimeter shot is inconsistent at best. He doesn’t really excel at anything—but he’s an athletic 6’10, 230 guy that has averaged 6.5 and 4 in 15 minutes a game over the last three seasons—and done it on winning teams.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,165

Post#72 » by Bobbymcgee » Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:10 pm

It is what it is. Trade deadline passed. The Clippers are a small team. They are going to have to figure out how to beat bigger teams or they are going home early come playoff time.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#73 » by esqtvd » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:26 pm

NickP wrote:
esqtvd wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Yeah the team injury status always comes out before the game, and when they scream out that everyone is available to play tonight but we all know about PG, Zu far from 100% and now Norm who was squirming around in his own blood all over the court on Saturday.. its a total head scratcher. Its like they want to make these guys sound brave for suiting but really it just hurts the team and costs us in the long run.

Set what example for Kawhi? Kawhi when healthy is a top 5 player in the league. If anything Kawhi averaging 30 ppg in a stretch of games should set an example for PG. Enough with the Kawhi bashing bro!

It was tongue-in-cheek. Kawhi is setting a great example for the rest with the end of his "load management." The guys need to reciprocate, and I think they are. Unfortunately, we lost but I don't think anyone was dogging it.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,380

Post#74 » by Scoundreldays » Tue Feb 13, 2024 8:37 pm

Also got to give the Wolves Credit they look amazing
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#75 » by KingCrimzzon » Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:49 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:It is what it is. Trade deadline passed. The Clippers are a small team. They are going to have to figure out how to beat bigger teams or they are going home early come playoff time.

This has been the reality since the 213 era began. "We want to switch everything". Problem is that they do that and they end up with a center guarding a guard at the 3pt line more often than not. The result is the big ends up out-rebounding all the smaller guys near the rim. It seems that every draft and every opportunity to get someone with size has resulted in getting more guards than anything else. They get rid of size all day just to have another guy that shoots and doesn't rebound. At some point, Lue "the Chiropractor", must make some changes to combat this other than going small, smaller and smallest. But so far, nothing in the form of change has been made. :banghead:
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,165

Post#76 » by Bobbymcgee » Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:09 pm

KingCrimzzon wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:It is what it is. Trade deadline passed. The Clippers are a small team. They are going to have to figure out how to beat bigger teams or they are going home early come playoff time.

This has been the reality since the 213 era began. "We want to switch everything". Problem is that they do that and they end up with a center guarding a guard at the 3pt line more often than not. The result is the big ends up out-rebounding all the smaller guys near the rim. It seems that every draft and every opportunity to get someone with size has resulted in getting more guards than anything else. They get rid of size all day just to have another guy that shoots and doesn't rebound. At some point, Lue "the Chiropractor", must make some changes to combat this other than going small, smaller and smallest. But so far, nothing in the form of change has been made. :banghead:

Yeah, pretty much. The Clippers couldn't get a wing player to save their life during the lob city era. Now, during the 213 era, with a plethora of wing players they can't get an athletic big man. If they flame out in the playoffs, they need to seriously consider making a move in the off-season to get one. I really don't want to see another season of T. Mann at the power forward position and Westbrook playing center.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#77 » by esqtvd » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:38 am

KingCrimzzon wrote:

Zu is on a minutes restriction and is limited to 6-minute stints. Worst opp to have it against.

FTR: Theis was out there when we went from 8 down [79-71] to 17 down [89-72] in less than 3 minutes at the end of the 3rd quarter.
Boom.

This is why you just can't throw PT at a G-Leaguer. You can lose a game THATquick. And I don't know where this leaves Theis either. He has the worst plus/minus of any regular over the past few weeks.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,848

Post#78 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:23 pm

Dynamix wrote:Pretty deflating loss, but still have faith they can figure things out when it matters most. Just keep winning games, stay healthy, and we'll see where the chips fall.

As a top 15 coach likes to say when rallying his troops:

"COME ON, GUYS!"

We had a great run culminating in a 6-1 Grammy trip. This team was not just healthy, this team and especially offense was absolutely rolling for awhile and opponents literally had no answers. But I think at some point other teams watch enough film and start to adjust (just as we had to when Harden first came over), now it is back to us to dig in deeper and find those new wrinkles. Our personnel is definitely skilled and smart enough.

The ASB actually arrives at the perfect time for us IMO. Step away and get some rest, and they can start fresh for the final stretch. All the ups and downs, wins and losses until now have put us in a great spot, if we can now figure out the way for the rest of the season.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers