ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers Select Kobe Brown at #30

Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,495

Re: Clippers Select Kobe Brown at #30 

Post#21 » by Ballings7 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 8:55 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:If his 3 point shooting last year is not a fluke, he seems absolutely fine in a vacuum at spot #30 (I don't know enough about the late 1st prospects to argue we else we should have picked.) I think he's strong and big enough to actually play the PF spot in the NBA, and I really like (probably too much so) guys with long wingspans. He has good awareness at his position, looking at his passing. His catch and shoot looks fine if his percentage holds up going forward.

He checks off zero boxes in terms of being any kind of prominent big time player, but seems to check off a lot of boxes for possible quality role player/ 4th or 5th best starter at some point (I mean that in a good way.)

We've drafted some raw prospects lately that are still baking in the oven (Boston, Moussa) and traded for another one in Bones, Brown is more like a Terance Mann pick. We'll see.

Agreed. Brown, should be contributing in multiple games a month, and have adequate confidence with himself and the staff back to him, by the playoffs in 2024.

The team's flaws at PF/C are pretty glaring past Zubac, in comparison to just competing with teams like Memphis, Denver, Sacramento, eventually the Spurs (Wembanyama/2nd-year Sochan), Minnesota.

A agile new-age PF like Brown contributing would help a lot, in combination with a vet like Batum in the background, some backup minutes from Diabate, and another veteran big addition who has talent to be in the rotation (start or not)... is a decent outlook into next season, I hope.

If Morris is still the starting PF, thats a problem. If Covington is still around, and somehow starts and rebounds from last years limited role, thats better than Morris, and an improvement in general, but still not what the team really needs (more offensive skill); but unlikely I think -- I think someone new comes in, or its Morris again.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,275

Post#22 » by MartinToVaught » Sat Jun 24, 2023 11:59 pm

KL2 wrote:
Read on Twitter

This has been Frank's boilerplate rationale for all of his draft picks, most of whom have been massive reaches taken ahead of actual NBA-caliber players. What are the odds that it will turn out any differently this time?

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,946

Post#23 » by esqtvd » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:02 am

Read on Twitter
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#24 » by esqtvd » Sun Jun 25, 2023 1:04 am

cornering the market ;-)

Read on Twitter
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#25 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Jun 25, 2023 5:39 pm

Read on Twitter

Both Jordan and Kobe have something in common :P

Read on Twitter
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,311

Please don't trade him! 

Post#26 » by Dynamix » Sat Jul 15, 2023 8:41 pm

Read on Twitter
Kelphus
Senior
And1: 534

Post#27 » by Kelphus » Sun Jul 16, 2023 5:23 am

wow. That was quite a highlight reel. 35 points, not too shabby.
The Clipper fan understands the Book of Exodus better than anyone... what it's like to struggle 40 years in the wilderness... and Genesis.. why Cain went after Abel... So fLakers, look out... we're coming.
Captain Ballmer
Pro Prospect
And1: 750

Post#28 » by Captain Ballmer » Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:46 am

The take from the summer league is that the shooting performance in his last college season wasn't fluke and he responded NBA range very well.

Had more size, athleticism than Mook, Batum and Covington, now the shooting translates... It wouldn't suprise me at all to see him in the rotation by game 1. If he become a sponge and learn the rotations well, he might be a rookie starter later in the season.
2023 Clippers W/L Count (51-31)
(Russ at bench 42-15)
without PG13 3-3
Without Kawhi 7-4
Without Russ 6-6
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#29 » by esqtvd » Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:57 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:The take from the summer league is that the shooting performance in his last college season wasn't fluke and he responded NBA range very well.

Had more size, athleticism than Mook, Batum and Covington, now the shooting translates... It wouldn't suprise me at all to see him in the rotation by game 1. If he become a sponge and learn the rotations well, he might be a rookie starter later in the season.

He's not quick, unfortunately, and who knows if the shot will hold.

Only 6'7" but with long arms. But yea, a placeholder starter at the 4 at 240 lbs, maybe 18-20 mpg? Yeah, this could work. Rambis, Landsberger? Marc Iavaroni of the 1983 champion Sixers? Go as hard as you can as long as you can. You get 6 fouls. USE 'EM.

The question now is--can Kobe2 play ANGRY? Because that's what this team needs.
esqtvd
RealGM

CLIPPER KOBE: Best game in summer league this year 

Post#30 » by esqtvd » Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:24 pm

Did we finally hit a longshot FRP? Of course, we haven't had a lottery pick since Shai [hit] and Jerome Robinson [miss] in 2018, and not since Aminu [#8, 2010] before that. But you hope to score at least once in awhile with these non-lottery crapshoots and we've had better luck in the second round [Mann, DeAndre Jordan, maybe Diabate] than the first [Kabengele, Brice Johnson, CJ Wilcox, Bullock, etc.].

Plus we needed a stretch 4 so bad, and a 240-pounder who can catch and shoot is all Mook ever offered us even at his best. 35 points, 7-10 from distance, 8 rebs, 4 steals.

Here's a big highlights package including the post-game interview at the end. What a sweet kid, easy to root for.

Read on Twitter

ADD: Gonna call him CLIPPER KOBE until further notice. The kid needs his own identity.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,020

Re: CLIPPER KOBE: Best game in summer league this year 

Post#31 » by clipperlover » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:16 pm

esqtvd wrote:Did we finally hit a longshot FRP? Of course, we haven't had a lottery pick since Shai [hit] and Jerome Robinson [miss] in 2018, and not since Aminu [#8, 2010] before that. But you hope to score at least once in awhile with these non-lottery crapshoots and we've had better luck in the second round [Mann, DeAndre Jordan, maybe Diabate] than the first [Kabengele, Brice Johnson, CJ Wilcox, Bullock, etc.].

Plus we needed a stretch 4 so bad, and a 240-pounder who can catch and shoot is all Mook ever offered us even at his best. 35 points, 7-10 from distance, 8 rebs, 4 steals.

Here's a big highlights package including the post-game interview at the end. What a sweet kid, easy to root for.

Read on Twitter

ADD: Gonna call him CLIPPER KOBE until further notice. The kid needs his own identity.

If he doesn't work out on the court, the kid has a great voice for doing broadcasts. He is much better than some of the people ESPN and TNT have trotted out there over the years (Brent Barry may have been the absolute worst). If you have ever listened to the local radio/TV announcers for some teams, they are horrible.
TrueLAfan
Senior Mod - Clippers
Senior Mod - Clippers
And1: 1,435

Post#32 » by TrueLAfan » Tue Jul 18, 2023 2:53 pm

Yeah, he’s a smart, well-spoken guy. That’s worth something.

One of the “concerns” about Brown was/is his (lack of) height. I'm not really feeeling that. He actually measured out much better at the combine than he was expected to. There are still places that list him a 6’7”; Dude is 6’6.5” without shoes. Shoes add 1-1.5”. He’s a legit 6’8” 240. I don’t really think he’s *that* small of a 4 with that length. He’s about the same size as Jeremiah Robinson-Earl--Robinson-Earl is about an inch taller, but has an inch or two less wingspan, so everything kinda averages out. He’s had some injuries issues, but he’s a good, versatile player—another “type” I’d like to see Brown be like.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#33 » by madmaxmedia » Wed Jul 19, 2023 9:32 pm

TrueLAfan wrote:Yeah, he’s a smart, well-spoken guy. That’s worth something.

One of the “concerns” about Brown was/is his (lack of) height. I'm not really feeeling that. He actually measured out much better at the combine than he was expected to. There are still places that list him a 6’7”; Dude is 6’6.5” without shoes. Shoes add 1-1.5”. He’s a legit 6’8” 240. I don’t really think he’s *that* small of a 4 with that length. He’s about the same size as Jeremiah Robinson-Earl--Robinson-Earl is about an inch taller, but has an inch or two less wingspan, so everything kinda averages out. He’s had some injuries issues, but he’s a good, versatile player—another “type” I’d like to see Brown be like.

His overall physical package of size, strength, and wingspan seem NBA PF-capable to me, and his skill set (or potential skill set) seems NBA PF-capable as well. I really like the awareness he shows on offense with his passing (although defensive awareness is more important at this point.)

What is interesting is that his free throw shooting took a big jump his junior year to around 80% and stayed there his senior year. This preceded the big jump in 3PT shooting his senior year. I think that bodes really well for us, I think it's a sign that his 3PT shooting last year was a true indication of his development and not a fluke.

esqtvd wrote:Did we finally hit a longshot FRP? Of course, we haven't had a lottery pick since Shai [hit] and Jerome Robinson [miss] in 2018, and not since Aminu [#8, 2010] before that. But you hope to score at least once in awhile with these non-lottery crapshoots and we've had better luck in the second round [Mann, DeAndre Jordan, maybe Diabate] than the first [Kabengele, Brice Johnson, CJ Wilcox, Bullock, etc.].

What saved us was moving down in the draft, just a pick away from the 2nd round which is a lot closer to our comfort zone. :lol:
Vae Victus
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,838

Post#34 » by Vae Victus » Thu Jul 20, 2023 5:22 am

He's not a bad pick in the, "get someone who can potentially help NOW" mold. His physical/athletic profile is below avg (tweener height, meh explosiveness), but if his skill package translates (hits 3s, always make the right pass, bully twigs in the paint), he can quickly become a high end backup PF role player. If his defense at the 3/4 can be rated as avg, then he'd be a huge steal.

It's hard to mess up such late picks though, they're all crapshoots, so ****, lets go off the best vibe. Kid sounds like he's got his **** together.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#35 » by esqtvd » Thu Jul 20, 2023 9:09 am

Vae Victus wrote:He's not a bad pick in the, "get someone who can potentially help NOW" mold. His physical/athletic profile is below avg (tweener height, meh explosiveness), but if his skill package translates (hits 3s, always make the right pass, bully twigs in the paint), he can quickly become a high end backup PF role player. If his defense at the 3/4 can be rated as avg, then he'd be a huge steal.

It's hard to mess up such late picks though, they're all crapshoots, so ****, lets go off the best vibe. Kid sounds like he's got his **** together.

Agree 100% with both of you. I think everybody was trying to hit a future star and a guy who might actually be able to play NOW fell to #30. And DAMN, we need some size. Just hope he's tough and will throw an elbow now and then.

Kenyon II too. Bev and Trezz before them. FCK skill. We need guys who play ANGRY.

Russ, I like. Plays hard, plays ANGRY. No wonder Kawhi and PG were begging for him. Plumlee, too. Keep an eye out for him. He's gonna throw some elbows this year I think.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,110

Post#36 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:14 pm

Would be nice if he steps up this season. I know that is asking a lot of rookie but the Clippers are really thin at the PF spot.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,484

Post#37 » by og15 » Thu Nov 2, 2023 4:18 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:Would be nice if he steps up this season. I know that is asking a lot of rookie but the Clippers are really thin at the PF spot.

He doesn't look lost on the floor, that's a positive. Minutes should be expected to be somewhat sporadic as a rookie on a contending team, but he seems like he can be a guy who ends up being relied on more consistently as the season goes on, and could be a guy that even gets playoff minutes based on matchup and situation.

We'll see how the first 20 or so games treat him adjustment wise.
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#38 » by ERClips » Thu Nov 2, 2023 5:58 pm

og15 wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:Would be nice if he steps up this season. I know that is asking a lot of rookie but the Clippers are really thin at the PF spot.

He doesn't look lost on the floor, that's a positive. Minutes should be expected to be somewhat sporadic as a rookie on a contending team, but he seems like he can be a guy who ends up being relied on more consistently as the season goes on, and could be a guy that even gets playoff minutes based on matchup and situation.

We'll see how the first 20 or so games treat him adjustment wise.

We’re gonna be taking the PF position by committee this season. Kawhi, Mann, PJ, & Kobe. Depending on lineups could be others too. From what I’ve seen this season so far he knows where to be and what to do. As a rookie he’ll have to earn any extended minutes but it looks like Lue is giving him that chance. I know a lot of us would prefer he get more run than Tucker but generally that’s not how the NBA works. Especially as a late first rounder. I think eventually he’ll move himself into the rotation regularly. His ability to score some points & rebound will be key. Really pulling for him myself
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#39 » by esqtvd » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:32 pm

Ty threw him in the deep end of the pool. Not his style but maybe he's getting the hang of the Clipper Nation internet commentariat lol.

Read on Twitter
Dynamix
Starter
And1: 2,311

Post#40 » by Dynamix » Thu Nov 2, 2023 7:35 pm

Read on Twitter

Looks like there will be plenty of PF minutes to go around for the near future.

If Kobe won't get a real opportunity right now, might as well send him to the G League for the rest of the season.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers