ImageImageImageImageImage

The Backup Big Watch: Options, Trade Scenarios And Predictions

Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

Wammy Giveaway
Starter
And1: 1,122

The Backup Big Watch: Options, Trade Scenarios And Predictions 

Post#1 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Nov 9, 2023 9:08 pm

With Mason Plumlee out of action for the next two months, Clippers will have to decide if they want to stand pat or make a trade.

First up in the backup big watch is Pacers center Daniel Theis. But he's not a center, more like a small forward, 6'8". Did win a gold medal with Germany in the FIBA World Cup, and was a part of the Celtics team that reached the 2022 NBA Finals.

Jack Simone of 8 Points 9 Seconds from the Fansided branch proposed three trade scenarios that could occur if Clippers went after Theis.

Option 1: Mason Plumlee, Amir Coffey, Brandon Boston Jr., 2nd round pick for Daniel Theis
Option 2: Kobe Brown, Mason Plumlee, Brandon Boston Jr. for Daniel Theis
Option 3: Norman Powell, Mason Plumlee, Amir Coffey, Brandon Boston Jr., 1st round pick for Daniel Theis and Buddy Hield

All these options are bad. One has giving up on rookies, one has giving up on draft picks, one has giving up both plus chemistry. The bonus for the third one is tied to a curse. Hield has never made the playoffs in his seven years with the league, so appropriately, if Clippers get Buddy Hield as part of the Theis deal, they will automatically miss the playoffs. But given the Clipper's losing history, what are the odds Pacers pull off a 76ers by going for a farm trade involving Plumlee, Coffey, Boston, Brown, Powell and Zubac, plus the picks, and perhaps another assist from Thunder? The 2nd apron situation which bars Clippers from acquiring buyout players forces them to resort to trades, and the Harden trade exasperated those restrictions in more ways than one.

There are other players the Clippers may look to for backup bigs, Dwight Howard came up, Kai Jones gets rehabilitation just like Clippers are great at doing, and also a reunion with Blake Griffin.

None of these options are looking good; in fact, any one of them can be a nail in the coffin for SoCal. And remember, a single ejection to Leonard or George is the end of the Clippers, and a forced rebuild inevitable.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,114

Re: The Backup Big Watch: Options, Trade Scenarios And Predictions 

Post#2 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu Nov 9, 2023 9:17 pm

I posted this in the transaction thread:

Wenyen Gabriel?
JaMychal Green?
Rudy Gay?
Nerlens Noel?
Dewayne Dedmon?

Clippers got to be making some phone calls right now right? They need another big man on the roster sooner than later after the Plumlee injury.

I would prefer the Clippers sign a current free agent right now if possible while shopping around for a trade to fill the gap.
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,136

Post#3 » by ejftw » Thu Nov 9, 2023 11:01 pm

If we give up BJ and/or Kobe for Theis, I'm waiving the white flag until Dunleavy returns as GM.

A name not mentioned above I wouldn't mind is Jordan Bell.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,769

Post#4 » by KL2 » Thu Nov 9, 2023 11:03 pm

ejftw wrote:If we give up BJ and/or Kobe for Theis, I'm waiving the white flag until Dunleavy returns as GM.

It would take Boston, Brown, Bones, and Coffey.

Mann straight up works but if they weren’t going to include him for Harden then they wouldn’t for Theis. Who am I kidding they probably would.

Unless they make it bigger using Mann or Powell but I didn’t look that deep.

Do we have any trade exceptions?
Wammy Giveaway
Starter

Reminder 

Post#5 » by Wammy Giveaway » Thu Nov 9, 2023 11:06 pm

Clippers have a trade exception from the Reggie Jackson trade worth $2.13 million.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,371

Post#6 » by Scoundreldays » Thu Nov 9, 2023 11:07 pm

Instead of making another bad trade can't we just sign someone to a 10 day? Rather not trade people and picks away for freaking Daniel Theis or Hield (who provides no defense). Green is washed, Gabriel is a hard worker and great energy guy but will get bullied. Last resort Boogie since he can stretch the floor but his defense sucks. I'd prefer someone more defense oriented. Might as well sign Dwight with how goofy this roster is getting.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,495

Post#7 » by Ballings7 » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:50 am

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/273627/Clippers-Interested-In-Trading-For-Daniel-Theis

Liked what I've seen of Theis, gets after it defensively, on glass, and isn't nothing on offense either - wouldn't be a mediocre option at backup C or third string either (in case Plumlee is back this year).

Wonder what package would go out?
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,275

Post#8 » by MartinToVaught » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:57 am

I've given up on ever expecting Frank not to make a moronic impulse trade, so I'm sure he's about to trade everyone under 30 for Theis and we're going to suck even worse. :noway:
KL2
Analyst

Post#9 » by KL2 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:21 am

Some encouraging news I guess.

Read on Twitter
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,948

Post#10 » by esqtvd » Mon Nov 13, 2023 4:12 am

Scoundreldays wrote:Instead of making another bad trade can't we just sign someone to a 10 day? Rather not trade people and picks away for freaking Daniel Theis or Hield (who provides no defense).

A nice visitor to our board on another thread pointed out that 10-Day contracts aren't permitted yet.

NBA teams become eligible to sign players to 10-day contracts starting from January 5, 2024 during the 2023-24 season.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Wammy Giveaway
Starter

A Big Development 

Post#11 » by Wammy Giveaway » Tue Nov 14, 2023 10:59 pm

Read on Twitter

Scott Agnees of Fieldhouse Files, via Luke Adams wrote:There’s a “growing belief” that the Clippers will add Daniel Theis to their roster soon, writes Scott Agness of Fieldhouse Files, citing a league source. As Agness acknowledges, Theis would likely need to reach a buyout agreement with the Pacers to get to Los Angeles, since the Clippers aren’t well positioned to trade for him. L.A.’s interest in the veteran center was previously reported.

Clippers would still have to trade because of the 2nd apron situation. They will need to ship at least two players out in order to sign Theis.
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,371

Re: A Big Development 

Post#12 » by Scoundreldays » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:32 pm

Wammy Giveaway wrote:
Read on Twitter

Scott Agnees of Fieldhouse Files, via Luke Adams wrote:There’s a “growing belief” that the Clippers will add Daniel Theis to their roster soon, writes Scott Agness of Fieldhouse Files, citing a league source. As Agness acknowledges, Theis would likely need to reach a buyout agreement with the Pacers to get to Los Angeles, since the Clippers aren’t well positioned to trade for him. L.A.’s interest in the veteran center was previously reported.

Clippers would still have to trade because of the 2nd apron situation. They will need to ship at least two players out in order to sign Theis.

Why what does this guy bring? Seems just like a panic trade.
KL2
Analyst

Post#13 » by KL2 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:41 pm

Sounds like Theis is on the way soon.

Read on Twitter
Wammy Giveaway
Starter

Ending The Big Match Watch: It's Theis 

Post#14 » by Wammy Giveaway » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:49 pm

Read on Twitter

It's official: Clippers will sign Daniel Theis after buyout. But because they're in the 2nd apron, they will have to make a trade first before Theis can officially join them.
KL2
Analyst

Post#15 » by KL2 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:01 pm

Why do they have to make a trade? I thought someone said the restriction from signing a buyout player doesn’t take affect until next season.
KL2
Analyst

Post#16 » by KL2 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:02 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

No mention of having to make a trade first.
KL2
Analyst

Post#17 » by KL2 » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Explains why we don’t have to make trade first.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#18 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:11 am

Just want to throw this up here since it's a post about bigs, the grass over in Philly :lol: -

nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#19 » by nickhx2 » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:13 am

lol
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,866

Post#20 » by Beethoven » Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:55 am

I always got Plumlee and Theis mixed up ... now they are on the same team. I like these two.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)

Return to Los Angeles Clippers