ImageImageImageImageImage

Clippers All-Stars - Who makes the team ?

Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 787

Clippers All-Stars - Who makes the team ? 

Post#1 » by donemilio21 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Starters on the West seem to be mostly locks; Lebron, Durant, Jokic, Luka, Curry/Shai.
7 reserve spots are open, 1 of those will almost certainly go to Shai/Curry and I think Kawhi, AD and Ant will nab the other 3.

Candidates for remaining 3:
PG, Harden, Sengun, Sabonis, Chet, Kyrie, Fox, Booker, Gobert, KAT, Markannen, Zion, Ingram, Jamal Murray.

It'd be tough. they all have a case, but I think PG has a good chance to get his 9th selection as the 2nd best player on one of the best teams in the West. However, many of the guys on the list can make a similar argument.
I just don't see Harden getting the nod over Fox, Booker or Murray.
both PG and Kawhi were allstars in 2021.
illastrate
Starter
And1: 629

Re: Clippers All-Stars - Who makes the team ? 

Post#2 » by illastrate » Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:36 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Starters on the West seem to be mostly locks; Lebron, Durant, Jokic, Luka, Curry/Shai.
7 reserve spots are open, 1 of those will almost certainly go to Shai/Curry and I think Kawhi, AD and Ant will nab the other 3.

PG, Harden, Sengun, Sabonis, Chet, Kyrie, Fox, Booker, Gobert, KAT, Markannen, Zion, Ingram, Jamal Murray.

It'd be tough. they all have a case, but I think PG has a good chance to get his 9th selection as the 2nd best player on one of the best teams in the West. However, many of the guys on the list can make a similar argument.

It's a shame roster spots still haven't been expanded to 15. I feel if Derrick White is getting consideration due to his impact, so should Harden, who's numbers are better overall. But I would say PG, Booker and the final spot is very difficult to choose from. Maybe one of the Wolves guys.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,020

Post#3 » by clipperlover » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:38 am

donemilio21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Did this breakdown in another thread:
I think the NBA All-Star team is going to have some very tough decisions based on the voting.

For example, look at the current starting 5 based on the vote:
LeBron, Jokic, KD, Curry and Luka

Now, the coaches select the reserves. So, whom do they reward? Will it be based on name or will it be based Team record.

Reserves:
Shai - OKC's top player
Kawhi - our top player
Anthony Edwards - MIN top player
Top players on the best of the West

Now, let's look at teams
Denver - Top tier of the West and the defending champs. Do they only get 1 All-Star spot?
OKC, Min, LAC - Top Tier 4 in West, Do they each only get 1 spot?
NOP - Top 5 in the West, currently 8 games over .500. Do they get a player?
Dallas - Top 6 in West, 6 games over .500? Does Kyrie get added
SAC - Was in top part of West most of 1st half. Do they get a player?
PHO - Don't deserve a 2nd spot
Utah - Hottest team in West after the Clips. Markkanen has been on a tear and Utah has been 10-3 over his last 13. Does he get left out?

All of the above leads us to Anthony Davis. His team is currently .500 and they have been .500 or less for 19/42 games this year. They have been no better than 5 games over .500 all season. SAC and NOP have been 9 and 8 games over .500.

If the fans don't vote AD in, then I don't see how coaches can justify putting him in over top players on better teams.

Under no circumstances should Karl Anthony Charmin be considered for an All-Star spot. He isn't even his teams 2nd best player. He is their 2nd best scorer. He averages 7 more shots per game than Gobert.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,109

Post#4 » by Bobbymcgee » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:45 pm

Honestly, I would prefer if the Clippers best players just get to rest for the all-start break. So, I wouldn't be too broken up about it if they don't get selected to this year's all-star team.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#5 » by clipperlover » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:17 pm

With Phoenix's recent surge, the reserves selection will be interesting. If the coaches pick Booker, then every team above them in the standings should have a 2nd player also. Especially, the defending champion Nuggets. Defending champs usually have multiple All-Stars in the following season.

The Mavs struggling recently should drop Kyrie from any consideration because you can't give Dallas a 2nd player and leave out the best player on teams above them in the standings (e.g. NOP, SAC).

Lakers are under .500 and terrible on the road. With their pending road trip, they will have little chance to be above .500 before the All Star reserves selection. Just don't see how AD gets picked above the best players on other teams (e.g. NOP, SAC) well above them in the win/loss column.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#6 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:37 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:Honestly, I would prefer if the Clippers best players just get to rest for the all-start break. So, I wouldn't be too broken up about it if they don't get selected to this year's all-star team.

from a competitive advantage standpoint absolutely agree. plus i think it gets certain guys to go ham after a snub.

honestly, there's literally zero benefit i see to making the asg from that pov.
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#7 » by nickhx2 » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:42 pm

also, over the past couple years I've really evolved my own thinking about sleep, rest and recovery. there's only pure downside exposing our best players to the biggest party atmosphere of the year, while at the same time asking them to play in an exhibition game lol. that said, even if say pg doesn't make it, who's to say he doesn't show up anyway? very, very few players take their own personal time when they don't get selected.

fun for fans if you like it and just want the clipper banner to be represented, which i get and don't judge. but, eh, it's not doing us any favors.
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#8 » by donemilio21 » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:09 am

Read on Twitter

I think Kenny's got it right.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#9 » by clipperlover » Mon Jan 29, 2024 6:48 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

I think Kenny's got it right.

Can't support those selections. Minny, OKC and defending champ Denver getting a single participant is robbery. Those teams are all 17 or more games ABOVE .500.

Sorry, Curry and AD, but your teams suck this year. Warriors deserve 0 participants and Lakers had LeBron voted in.

Sorry most punchable face in the NBA, but the Suns had Durant voted in. Sure you tossed up a bunch of points lately, but Sacramento has had a better record all year and have beat you 2 out of 3 games.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,768

Post#10 » by KL2 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 12:08 am

Leonard and PG were named as reserves. Congrats.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#11 » by clipperlover » Fri Feb 2, 2024 1:49 am

I have no problem with our guys getting there, but several of the selections were garbage.

Rewarding Curry and AD whose teams have been garbage while OKC and the reigning champs gets 1 selection each is a criminal. Outside of pts/gm, Curry isn't a leader in anything. He isn't even top 30 in 3P%. AD is up in the top 10 in a few key categories, but he is on a playin team.

Kings have consistently been in the top 5 all season and have 0 All-Stars, but Booker is the 2nd players selected from a team lower in the standings. Sabonis leads the NBA in Rbs, Double Doubles and is #7 in assists.

Karl Anthony Charmin as Minny's second selection is a farce. He is nothing more than a scorer and he is only #26 in the NBA at that. He only has 19 double doubles on the year. By comparison, Gobert is #2 in Rbs, #5 in Double Doubles and #8 in Blocks in the NBA. If Gobert or Ant go down, Minny falls apart. If Charmin goes down, they just put in another scorer.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,946

Post#12 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:33 am

clipperlover wrote:I have no problem with our guys getting there, but several of the selections were garbage.

Rewarding Curry and AD whose teams have been garbage while OKC and the reigning champs gets 1 selection each is a criminal. Outside of pts/gm, Curry isn't a leader in anything. He isn't even top 30 in 3P%. AD is up in the top 10 in a few key categories, but he is on a playin team.

Kings have consistently been in the top 5 all season and have 0 All-Stars, but Booker is the 2nd players selected from a team lower in the standings. Sabonis leads the NBA in Rbs, Double Doubles and is #7 in assists.

Karl Anthony Charmin as Minny's second selection is a farce. He is nothing more than a scorer and he is only #26 in the NBA at that. He only has 19 double doubles on the year. By comparison, Gobert is #2 in Rbs, #5 in Double Doubles and #8 in Blocks in the NBA. If Gobert or Ant go down, Minny falls apart. If Charmin goes down, they just put in another scorer.

Me, IDGAF about the All-Star game. I still love the baseball one but that's about it. I wish KL and PG would say thanks but no thanks, stay home, put up their feet and watch it on TV and do some REAL "load management."

And I don't say this in a bad way. In the olden days of, say Bird and Magic, the regular season didn't seem to be the grind it is today. These poor guys today, even with chartered planes, the best hotels and the best physical therapy on earth, ARE BEAT TO SHTTT!

As the faithful of this board know, I still cheer for my hometown Sixers even though the Clippers are my #1. Look what just happened to Embiid. They accuse him of being a loafer and a coward. Well...

Yes, they are paid more money than they can ever spend today, but Bird and Magic always seemed to be having fun. There is so little fun about this All-Star thing anymore.

Hey, I think the NBA has responded well to the charge that the regular season was just one big joke, hardly worth paying to see. Especially the players. And ESPECIALLY Kawhi and HIS Clippers. [fingers crossed]

Screw the All-Star game. Make it a total joke like the Pro Bowl. AFTER the season.
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
donemilio21
Analyst

Post#13 » by donemilio21 » Fri Feb 2, 2024 4:54 am

esqtvd wrote:
clipperlover wrote:I have no problem with our guys getting there, but several of the selections were garbage.

Me, IDGAF about the All-Star game. I still love the baseball one but that's about it. I wish KL and PG would say thanks but no thanks, stay home, put up their feet and watch it on TV and do some REAL "load management."

Kawhi and PG will play one 15-20 min pick up game with no defense over a 7 day period. I don't think you can manage load better than that. I don't really watch the all-star game, although there was a time I would not have missed it. But I see the selections as a respect to the players and the organization. That's not nothing.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#14 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:58 am

donemilio21 wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Kawhi and PG will play one 15-20 min pick up game with no defense over a 7 day period. I don't think you can manage load better than that. I don't really watch the all-star game, although there was a time I would not have missed it. But I see the selections as a respect to the players and the organization. That's not nothing.

Agree. It's not nothing. But the recognition/respect part is already in the bag. And we've been there done that with BG and CP3. CP3 won All-Star Game MVP and Blake won the Dunk Contest. BFD.

PG is missing games. PG is ALWAYS missing games. Even if he's healed up by the ASG, staying home and resting up to win his FIRST ring should be his priority.

PG = 9x All-Star
PlayoffP = ZERO rings

Make your choice, bro.

Read on Twitter
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 942

Post#15 » by NickP » Fri Feb 2, 2024 6:51 am

The last time I actually watched this game was
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#16 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 2, 2024 9:01 am

NickP wrote:The last time I actually watched this game was

You got that right, bruh.

The Mrs is a Clipper fan. Likes NBA ball too, forget college ball. All-Star Saturday Night, we still always watch the 3-point contest. Still great. Used to watch the Dunk Contest but she doesn't even know who these guys are anymore [and neither do I], so she just drifts out of the room. Some whiteboy G-Leaguer won it, right? :lol:

And forget the actual All-Star Game on Sunday. Who is it against Who and why do we care who wins? We don't even turn it on.
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#17 » by clipperlover » Fri Feb 2, 2024 5:34 pm

I don't recall the last time I watched the Sunday game, been several years since watching the Saturday's night events. Baseball and football are to be missed also, so I get that sentiment.

However, I would absolutely encourage any fan that has one of those events in their city to go check out the fan experience events if they are near one. I have been to two NBA All Star fans experiences and one MLB All-Star fan experience. Had a great time.

As far as the selections go, I don't know what the coaches are thinking. You have players out there in smaller markets busting their butts with little chance to ever get a fan vote selection. They need the coaches to give them their recognition. PG likely got selected because the game is in Indy.

If I am Jokic, I am "injured" for this event for not having a teammate on the team also. I wouldn't be opposed to Kawhi and PG recovering from "injury" also. if the game was closer, I wouldn't have an issue. However, the game is in Indy. let these young guys like Sabonis and Fox that have important bonuses tied to the selection come in as injury replacements. I hope AD does the respectable thing and bows out realizing his team is garbage, but had 2 selections.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#18 » by esqtvd » Sat Feb 3, 2024 1:21 am

The most points in a season Kawhi has scored as a Clipper is 1543.

At a little past the halfway mark this year, he's already over 1000.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,483

Post#19 » by og15 » Sat Feb 3, 2024 7:48 pm

illastrate wrote:
donemilio21 wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's a shame roster spots still haven't been expanded to 15. I feel if Derrick White is getting consideration due to his impact, so should Harden, who's numbers are better overall. But I would say PG, Booker and the final spot is very difficult to choose from. Maybe one of the Wolves guys.

Yea, expanding the league and keeping the spots the same is an odd decision, wonder why they haven't changed it
clipperlover
Rookie

Post#20 » by clipperlover » Sun Feb 4, 2024 5:07 am

Coach for the All-Star game is based on Record as of the end of tomorrow.

So, Clips win + Wolves and OKC losses tomorrow make Ty the Western Confernce Coach.

The fraud became the Eastern Conference coach because Boston's coach was the coach last year.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers