GAME #54: LAC (36-17) @ OKC (37-17) THURS 2/22 5PM

Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,946

Re: GAME #54: LAC (36-17) @ OKC (37-17) THURS 2/22 5PM 

Post#41 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:13 am

esqtvd wrote:
rocketsfan100 wrote:Can anyone explain why harden was benched for almost the entire third quarter when Russ and George were awful?

PG was getting a blow. He still played 36 minutes. Harden left at the 7:36 mark with the Clippers down 4. They were down only 6 until Mann came in for George with 3:26 left.

Then the spit hit the fan. OKC went on an 11-3 run to close the quarter and we never recovered.

Harden started the 4th quarter and would have played the rest of the way [33 minutes total] but Ty waved the white flag with 3:53 left and subbed him out.

Not sure Ty could do much else. Basically the problem was defense and Beard is not the cure. OKC got 30 fast break points and we got 10. The problem was too many cheap baskets.

ADD: I'm getting a ton of heat on Twitter/X from some dude blaming Ty for not trying PJ. LOL.

Look, I think the time might be coming, but a) tonight was not the night b) you have to get everyone onboard like when they benched Russ, that this ain't gonna work with these young teams like OKC and MINN and c) I don't think PJ's gonna be any better. He's worth another go, but he's already played himself out of the rotation once.

And what happens when you hit the panic button and it doesn't work?? It's even harder to go back to Plan A. Look what happened when they yo-yoed Mann in and out of the starting line-up.

[Which might be part of Plan B too, but that's another can of worms!]
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#42 » by KingCrimzzon » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:15 am

Don't like the effort lately. They're playing like they feel they can just turn it on whenever they want. Horrid defense lately and bad shooting thinking they can just come back hitting 3s. Against a small team they can't even dominate the paint and had their shots blocked way to much. Whatever sense of urgency they played with when they were trying to get out of the cellar, they need to find again.
Rdude22
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#43 » by Rdude22 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:43 am

Captain Ballmer wrote:
NickP wrote:
wakelaunch1 wrote:PG not coming up big against good teams is a trend. He gets all of his points against the bad teams and then shoots a poor percentage against the good teams. I bet if someone did a stats breakdown it would be eye popping. Theres no way I am giving him anything close to a max contract.

Exactly this.
I've been bringing this up a lot lately. We get one good game followed by many stinkers from PG.

I wonder what type of extension offer he received last month that didn't signed. I assume it was a statement that 213 days are over, it clearly separates Kawhi from him based on the number(well deserved) and frankly the guaranteed sum total might not even enough to consider calling him a part of big trio with Harden.

I really wonder the offer bc he plays like he's fragile mental set up got up after that.

Tbh for a (imo) top 5 player I don’t think you guys really optimize Kawhi. Imagine if Curry only touches the ball once 25 feet away (no screens) for a deadball iso, the predictable double team comes, he passes it out, and Kuminga, Wiggins, Draymond etc decide well he had his turn, time for us to get shot ups! Rinse and repeat.

Imagine Luka shooting 75% from the field but only takes 12 shots in 30 minutes in a pivotal game.

I get it’s a big 3 or big 4 but vs serious teams you only have one truly reliable threat to exploit… but currently it’s easy to neutralize and multiple efforts aren’t even needed to do so bc after one double on a lazily called iso play he’s unintentionally iced out the rest of the possession.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#44 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:45 am

KingCrimzzon wrote:Don't like the effort lately. They're playing like they feel they can just turn it on whenever they want. Horrid defense lately and bad shooting thinking they can just come back hitting 3s. Against a small team they can't even dominate the paint and had their shots blocked way to much. Whatever sense of urgency they played with when they were trying to get out of the cellar, they need to find again.

Yo King: I like your post but I'm not going to short anybody on effort. A veteran team like this doesn't need a "statement game" first one out of the box after the break. Adam Ausland gave me a lot of sh*t [and unfollowed me on X lol] for saying that the Clippers played the MINN loss like a scrimmage, but I think they did.

I think they played this one like a scrimmage. It doesn't mean they didn't play it like a hard scrimmage, but it does mean they weren't gonna dive for loose balls or take charges or any of that stuff you do in April and May when the chips are down.

Call it making excuses but I'm older than 25 :lol: . I wish we had a younger team to cheer for--like OKC--who are young and fearless are just gonna take it to these Hall Of Famers in front of our STOKED home crowd in FEBRUARY.

But this is bull-and-matador stuff. Have your fun now. Kawhi only scored 20. Kawhi sees all. If he'd have beaten you on your home court, he'd only have shown you his hand. Shai is good. But I am The KLAW.
KingCrimzzon
Sophomore
And1: 173

Post#45 » by KingCrimzzon » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:53 am

esqtvd wrote:
KingCrimzzon wrote:Don't like the effort lately. They're playing like they feel they can just turn it on whenever they want. Horrid defense lately and bad shooting thinking they can just come back hitting 3s. Against a small team they can't even dominate the paint and had their shots blocked way to much. Whatever sense of urgency they played with when they were trying to get out of the cellar, they need to find again.

Yo King: I like your post but I'm not going to short anybody on effort. A veteran team like this doesn't need a "statement game" first one out of the box after the break. Adam Ausland gave me a lot of sh*t [and unfollowed me on X lol] for saying that the Clippers played the MINN loss like a scrimmage, but I think they did.

I think they played this one like a scrimmage. It doesn't mean they didn't play it like a hard scrimmage, but it does mean they weren't gonna dive for loose balls or take charges or any of that stuff you do in April and May when the chips are down.

Call it making excuses but I'm older than 25 :lol: . I wish we had a younger team to cheer for--like OKC--who are young and fearless are just gonna take it to these Hall Of Famers in front of our STOKED home crowd in FEBRUARY.

But this is bull-and-matador stuff. Have your fun now. Kawhi only scored 20. Kawhi sees all. If he'd have beaten you on your home court, he'd only have shown you his hand. Shai is good. But I am The KLAW.

Wow! They call him Salty A for a reason :wink:. I mean it's fair to say that and all, but even Adam was talking about similar things on Clippers Talk. He kept insisting Kawhi did his job and Harden, Westy, and PG didn't (which is true). I'm wondering if that defensive effort vs BOS was real now. I mean even LAL sans LeBJ and AD beat them too. I'm hoping it's not, instead a window into what could be. Staying hopeful, but these regular season games mean a lot in a packed Western Conf, so losing tie breakers really hurt (even if it's just Feb). Also, it doesn't hurt to be the team others dread to play because they know defensively you're gonna be a pain (good psychological warefare). Defense is a habit and the regular season is where you build it.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#46 » by esqtvd » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:07 am

KingCrimzzon wrote:
esqtvd wrote:

Wow! They call him Salty A for a reason :wink:. I mean it's fair to say that and all, but even Adam was talking about similar things on Clippers Talk. He kept insisting Kawhi did his job and Harden, Westy, and PG didn't (which is true). I'm wondering if that defensive effort vs BOS was real now. I mean even LAL sans LeBJ and AD beat them too. I'm hoping it's not, instead a window into what could be. Staying hopeful, but these regular season games mean a lot in a packed Western Conf, so losing tie breakers really hurt (even if it's just Feb). Also, it doesn't hurt to be the team others dread to play because they know defensively you're gonna be a pain (good psychological warefare). Defense is a habit and the regular season is where you build it.

Listening to AdamA on the postgame show?

You are core, man. Remember Ballmer's FIRST press conference? HARDCORE? You should already have been given season tickets on Ballmer's WALL.

As for this team, they're over 30 and even our "KIDS" [Mann, Coffey, Zu] are 27 this year. This was a STATEMENT game for them, but not us.

But the STATEMENT made by OKC is: You're gonna have to work for it, you bastards. Get off your lazy asses.
NickP
Bench Warmer
And1: 942

Post#47 » by NickP » Fri Feb 23, 2024 3:09 pm

Rdude22 wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:
NickP wrote:Exactly this.
I've been bringing this up a lot lately. We get one good game followed by many stinkers from PG.

I wonder what type of extension offer he received last month that didn't signed. I assume it was a statement that 213 days are over, it clearly separates Kawhi from him based on the number(well deserved) and frankly the guaranteed sum total might not even enough to consider calling him a part of big trio with Harden.

I really wonder the offer bc he plays like he's fragile mental set up got up after that.

Tbh for a (imo) top 5 player I don’t think you guys really optimize Kawhi. Imagine if Curry only touches the ball once 25 feet away (no screens) for a deadball iso, the predictable double team comes, he passes it out, and Kuminga, Wiggins, Draymond etc decide well he had his turn, time for us to get shot ups! Rinse and repeat.

Imagine Luka shooting 75% from the field but only takes 12 shots in 30 minutes in a pivotal game.

I get it’s a big 3 or big 4 but vs serious teams you only have one truly reliable threat to exploit… but currently it’s easy to neutralize and multiple efforts aren’t even needed to do so bc after one double on a lazily called iso play he’s unintentionally iced out the rest of the possession.

BINGO!!!
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,769

Post#48 » by KL2 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:16 pm

Captain Ballmer wrote:I wonder what type of extension offer he received last month that didn't signed. I assume it was a statement that 213 days are over, it clearly separates Kawhi from him based on the number(well deserved) and frankly the guaranteed sum total might not even enough to consider calling him a part of big trio with Harden.

I’m starting to believe the smoke that he wants to go back to Indy.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#49 » by Clemenza » Fri Feb 23, 2024 5:28 pm

KL2 wrote:
Captain Ballmer wrote:I wonder what type of extension offer he received last month that didn't signed. I assume it was a statement that 213 days are over, it clearly separates Kawhi from him based on the number(well deserved) and frankly the guaranteed sum total might not even enough to consider calling him a part of big trio with Harden.

He wants a max deal which Indy & Philly have already said they'll give it to him without question. Lawrence Frank wants him to take a reduced deal like Kawhi took but PG wants to cash out and get the biggest deal he can get with this being his last big contract before age takes over. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out that's for sure.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Post#50 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 23, 2024 6:34 pm

Clemenza wrote:
KL2 wrote:

He wants a max deal which Indy & Philly have already said they'll give it to him without question. Lawrence Frank wants him to take a reduced deal like Kawhi took but PG wants to cash out and get the biggest deal he can get with this being his last big contract before age takes over. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out that's for sure.

It's not that big of a difference in money per year (Kawhi's deal), maybe he's balking at 3 years instead of 4?
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#51 » by ERClips » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:01 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
Clemenza wrote:He wants a max deal which Indy & Philly have already said they'll give it to him without question. Lawrence Frank wants him to take a reduced deal like Kawhi took but PG wants to cash out and get the biggest deal he can get with this being his last big contract before age takes over. Going to be interesting to see how this plays out that's for sure.

It's not that big of a difference in money per year (Kawhi's deal), maybe he's balking at 3 years instead of 4?

If any of this is true then our chances of making a title run this year are greatly diminished. PG is fragile minded & always has been. Can’t have our #2 option be any less ready to contribute on a consistent basis. He already doesn’t do that. But actually even if he did sign a contract he’s happy with I’m doubtful his game would change in a significant way.
He’s a great player can’t take that away from him. Just not often enough to get us over the hump as our 2nd ‘best’
Scoundreldays
Veteran
And1: 2,366

Post#52 » by Scoundreldays » Fri Feb 23, 2024 7:12 pm

PG needs to pull his head out of his ass. You want an extension EARN it.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#53 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:35 pm

ERClips wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:

If any of this is true then our chances of making a title run this year are greatly diminished. PG is fragile minded & always has been. Can’t have our #2 option be any less ready to contribute on a consistent basis. He already doesn’t do that. But actually even if he did sign a contract he’s happy with I’m doubtful his game would change in a significant way.
He’s a great player can’t take that away from him. Just not often enough to get us over the hump as our 2nd ‘best’

All this time I thought Kawhi would be the tough sign and go down to the wire, although I never doubted he would continue to play hard and at a high level.

This could get dicey if PG insists on 4 years and Clips only want to do 3. The actual money per year is not the big deal, but an extra year at ~$50M is. I agree on the danger of this affecting his mindset. We'll just have to see what happens with the contract, since we don't know for sure what the impasse is over.

It's hard for me to rate then in order of importance, as each player contributes different things. But if Kawhi is the #1, I would consider PG and James to be co-#2's. Without James we'd have no chance.
Bobbymcgee
Starter
And1: 2,110

Post#54 » by Bobbymcgee » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:01 pm

Its crazy how this team falls apart when Harden is on the bench. That's another thing for this team to figure out before the playoffs.
madmaxmedia
RealGM

Post#55 » by madmaxmedia » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:04 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:Its crazy how this team falls apart when Harden is on the bench. That's another thing for this team to figure out before the playoffs.

I think it points to both how good a point guard he is, and how deficient we have been at the position.

Russ is our next best PG (unless we want to give Bones a look but that's impossible without sitting Russ), but he's more a drive-and-dish guy than a true floor general. About the only other potential guy we had that I wish we pulled up for a 10-day was Kris Dunn LOL.
ERClips
Junior
And1: 338

Post#56 » by ERClips » Fri Feb 23, 2024 9:09 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
ERClips wrote:

All this time I thought Kawhi would be the tough sign and go down to the wire, although I never doubted he would continue to play hard and at a high level.

This could get dicey if PG insists on 4 years and Clips only want to do 3. The actual money per year is not the big deal, but an extra year at ~$50M is. I agree on the danger of this affecting his mindset. We'll just have to see what happens with the contract, since we don't know for sure what the impasse is over.

It's hard for me to rate then in order of importance, as each player contributes different things. But if Kawhi is the #1, I would consider PG and James to be co-#2's. Without James we'd have no chance.

Agreed! Harden is absolutely just as important or maybe more since he runs our offense. He’s doing his part even on nights where he’s not as good. PG is unreliable. Sometimes great & often times just horrible. We need him to at least be good.
og15
Forum Mod - Clippers
Forum Mod - Clippers
And1: 29,484

Post#57 » by og15 » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:27 pm

I'll say that we shouldn't revise history and act like this has been his performance the whole season.

Since about half way through January, PG's production offensively has gone from very good to all over the place.

For the first 40 games of the season, he averaged 24/6/4 on 47/42/91. He scored 20+ in 30/40 games. He only had one stretch with back to back games with under 20 points in that stretch. ONCE.

Last 13 games:
18/5/4 on 41/29/91 and scored 20+ in 3/13 games.

Let's not act like scoring 20+ 75% of the time, only having back to back games under 20 pts once, while having super efficient performances is the same as what he's been doing for the past month. It's not, and he needs to get it together. Now there was also some playing through injury that factored into it, and on the positive side, the defense has still been fine, but the Clippers definitely need a much better version of him. He did it for 40 games, so he's obviously capable.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,020

Post#58 » by clipperlover » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:11 pm

esqtvd wrote:
rocketsfan100 wrote:Can anyone explain why harden was benched for almost the entire third quarter when Russ and George were awful?

PG was getting a blow. He still played 36 minutes. Harden left at the 7:36 mark with the Clippers down 4. They were down only 6 until Mann came in for George with 3:26 left.

Then the spit hit the fan. OKC went on an 11-3 run to close the quarter and we never recovered.

Harden started the 4th quarter and would have played the rest of the way [33 minutes total] but Ty waved the white flag with 3:53 left and subbed him out.

Not sure Ty could do much else. Basically the problem was defense and Beard is not the cure. OKC got 30 fast break points and we got 10. The problem was too many cheap baskets.

The spit hit the fan when the refs didn't reward us while we were in the bonus situation and driving to the basket. Several plays that should have been fouls where they swallowed the whistle. Changed the momentum because OKC turned those into fast break points.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,020

Post#59 » by clipperlover » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:24 pm

MartinToVaught wrote:
Bobbymcgee wrote:The Clippers are talented enough to beat the teams they should beat but lack of size and poor defense have them struggling against the elite teams with size in the west. They need to get this figured out because they are going to have an early start to their summer if they don't.

It's pretty much the exact same spot we've been in most years since the original CP3 trade. A pretender that's both too flawed to seriously win and too depleted of assets to fix it. That's consistently been our ceiling. And yet we'll still keep the same people in the front office who squander insane amounts of assets to build these mediocre teams. :noway:

Again, outside of Denver, who has a legitimate shot at beating this team in a 7 games series?

OKC acted like they won something the other night. They only won a regular season game. That OKC team has NEVER closed anyone out in a series, that coach has not had to make in series adjustments. Anyone that thinks OKC is winning a title with that team is fooling themselves. Will take them multiple years to get through the playoff growing pains. Unless, they get the benefit of all of the opponents getting injured and missing key players (like Phoenix in 2021 and Warriors in 2022). By the time OKC is ready to take that next step, they will be crushed by the salary cap and players wanting to get paid. I am not sold that and his frail body can lead a team to the promised land.

Wolves with Karl Anthony Charmin are pretenders. They have some of the same issues as OKC, but with more veterans that have been there.

Ty Lue and Mike Malone have the playoff coaching experience that will make the difference in a playoff series against a OKC or Minny. Kawhi hasn't played in a 2nd round series since he tore his ACL during his last 2nd round series. He will be on another level and ready to carry his teammates.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#60 » by Clemenza » Sun Feb 25, 2024 11:08 pm

Bobbymcgee wrote:Its crazy how this team falls apart when Harden is on the bench. That's another thing for this team to figure out before the playoffs.

That's on if Russ can contribute or not has the backup point guard. Hasn't been too good as of late. I actually think Bones would be the better option in the backup pg role.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers