An early summer 2024 thread

Moderators: TrueLAfan, og15

madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,840

Re: An early summer 2024 thread 

Post#121 » by madmaxmedia » Mon May 6, 2024 11:38 pm

nickhx2 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Glad L. Frank spoke on getting younger and more athletic. 213 and Harden is fossilized enough. Doesn't make sense to have an ancient rotation surrounding them.

i think it's good to acknowledge, but i suppose the question is whether lue agrees with that vision and commits to it as well (assuming he stays).

I think it depends on what the overall goals of the franchise and FO are, and what they communicate to Lue on this. The last couple of years, I am pretty certain they have prioritized winning first and foremost to try to maximize the 213 window. If they tell him that is still the goal, he is going to coach towards that.

OTOH, if Lue is going forward that winning now is not the 100% goal and we absolutely need to consider player development, we might see different things out of Lue. I'm not sure, but given our roster situation the last couple of years I'd be surprised if they told Lue to develop kids over winning as many games as possible now.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,506

Post#122 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue May 7, 2024 12:13 am

LamarWho wrote:Same ole same ole. This franchise is doomed with this FO and Ty Lue. Neither of them will be gone anytime soon.

they don't have a first round draft pick until 2030, so they kind of have to commit to the roster they have now if for nothing else but to have assets to trade and maybe recover some picks. If not, hope against hope that everybody stays healthy- particularly Kawhi
Clemenza
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,283

Post#123 » by Clemenza » Tue May 7, 2024 1:31 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:
LamarWho wrote:Same ole same ole. This franchise is doomed with this FO and Ty Lue. Neither of them will be gone anytime soon.

they don't have a first round draft pick until 2030, so they kind of have to commit to the roster they have now if for nothing else but to have assets to trade and maybe recover some picks. If not, hope against hope that everybody stays healthy- particularly Kawhi

We have our `25, `27, and `29 1st round picks. They're picks swaps with OKC & Philly, but they don't convay into anything major for OKC unless we fall off a cliff and become a lottery team. If that happens then it could get real ugly for us.
clipperlover
Rookie
And1: 1,020

Post#124 » by clipperlover » Tue May 7, 2024 1:34 am

Everything starts at the top. Until the bafoon Ballmer finally has a problem with the luxury tax bills, then the front office is going to try to spend their way to a title. If Ballmer came out and said I am not paying more per year for this team than "X amount", then the front office would be forced to actually evaluate talent and make tough decisions.
KL2
Analyst
And1: 1,768

Post#125 » by KL2 » Tue May 7, 2024 1:43 am

Ballings7 wrote:Intrigued by Kai Jones.

Me too. I was hoping they’d take a gamble on him. Sounds like they’ve all ready put him on a plan of sorts. No specifics other than they’re having him focus on the center position and not PF.

Who’s the oldest guy in the draft this year? That’ll be the 46th pick I’m sure.
esqtvd
RealGM
And1: 3,945

Post#126 » by esqtvd » Tue May 7, 2024 1:45 am

Roscoe Sheed wrote:

I think the FO does what Ballmer wants and Ty does the best he can with what they give him.

Pat is pissed at Jimmy. Same deal.

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

It's Catch-22: If you want to take seeding and the RS seriously, you might limp into the playoffs. Nothing really different than Lob City or Load Management. Can't have your cake and eat it too with these guys. Hell, Lob City were all under 30 except Jamal and we couldn't get to April on all cylinders.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/heat-president-pat-riley-calls-out-jimmy-butler-twice-following-playoff-exit/ar-BB1lV7RL?
Image Are We Having Fun Yet?
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#127 » by Clemenza » Tue May 7, 2024 1:57 am

madmaxmedia wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:
Clemenza wrote:Glad L. Frank spoke on getting younger and more athletic. 213 and Harden is fossilized enough. Doesn't make sense to have an ancient rotation surrounding them.

i think it's good to acknowledge, but i suppose the question is whether lue agrees with that vision and commits to it as well (assuming he stays).

I think it depends on what the overall goals of the franchise and FO are, and what they communicate to Lue on this. The last couple of years, I am pretty certain they have prioritized winning first and foremost to try to maximize the 213 window. If they tell him that is still the goal, he is going to coach towards that.

OTOH, if Lue is going forward that winning now is not the 100% goal and we absolutely need to consider player development, we might see different things out of Lue. I'm not sure, but given our roster situation the last couple of years I'd be surprised if they told Lue to develop kids over winning as many games as possible now.

I know first & foremost Kawhi needs to be on the court and PG & Harden need to be consistent for a change for us to have any shot at post season success. But I just don't get "win now mode" with so many players that get played off the court like Russ, PJ, Plumlee, Coffey and even Mann at times. Could've had player development going since 213 first touched down in LA.

I wasn't even shocked or pissed at the outcome of this season. Once PJ Tucker arrived with Harden and demanded minutes while Kobe & Bones got kicked to the curb, the writing was on the wall as to how the season would go. It was status quo and textbook Clippers all the way through until the latest playoff disappointment. They'll sweet talk us on getting younger and more athletic, but I'll believe it when I see it.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Post#128 » by MartinToVaught » Tue May 7, 2024 2:43 am

Clemenza wrote:They'll sweet talk us on getting younger and more athletic, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Frank's said it every year and the roster gets older and less athletic every year.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 787

Post#129 » by donemilio21 » Tue May 7, 2024 2:57 am

MartinToVaught wrote:
Clemenza wrote:They'll sweet talk us on getting younger and more athletic, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Frank's said it every year and the roster gets older and less athletic every year.

This. Frank says the exact same things every year. I wouldn't trust the word he says. For all we know, Kawhi might have had another knee surgery that would keep out all of 24-25 season, we just won't find out until October, and Frank would be out there talking how excited he is for Kawhi and PG and HArden to have a offseason together.
Ballings7
RealGM
And1: 1,495

Post#130 » by Ballings7 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:40 am

Ant Edwards aside, I hope LAC is watching this Denver/Minnesota series to get some ideas.
The Playoffs don't care about your Analytics
nickhx2
RealGM
And1: 6,361

Post#131 » by nickhx2 » Tue May 7, 2024 4:27 am

Clemenza wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
nickhx2 wrote:

I know first & foremost Kawhi needs to be on the court and PG & Harden need to be consistent for a change for us to have any shot at post season success. But I just don't get "win now mode" with so many players that get played off the court like Russ, PJ, Plumlee, Coffey and even Mann at times. Could've had player development going since 213 first touched down in LA.

I wasn't even shocked or pissed at the outcome of this season. Once PJ Tucker arrived with Harden and demanded minutes while Kobe & Bones got kicked to the curb, the writing was on the wall as to how the season would go. It was status quo and textbook Clippers all the way through until the latest playoff disappointment. They'll sweet talk us on getting younger and more athletic, but I'll believe it when I see it.

i listened to a good bit of 213hoops's podcast today and it was a good listen - brought up a lot of criticisms of the team that culminated into the team we see today. also really torched paul george, and for fair reason. some points of discussion i'd wanna bring up:

- In a lot of ways i'm not really sure the vision that lue and the FO share are ever going to be on the same page. It wasn't all that long ago there was a huge disconnect on the team needing a point guard and what good, point guard play even seem to be. We ended up with westbrook as a result, for one thing.

- the FO really backed themselves into a corner with guys like PJ tucker/westbrook who can't really do anything meaningful come playoff time, but it gets a lot worse when you have lue giving them major minutes in actual playoff games. This kinda goes back to the team keeping marcus morris on the team for so long and it's not really a surprise that ty lue played "ty lue" players.

- is some of that because the front office keeps putting guys on the floor that don't make sense for the team? Maybe. But i think their point, and one that i agree with, is you gotta take away dangerous toys from kids sometimes and that has NOT been the case with this team even as far back with doc, and certainly not with lue.

- so pretty much all season we watched westbrook get a lot of burn, as well as amir coffey. And it worked out for a good enough while if anyone actually was out there going "oh yeah, come playoff time westbrook is gonna be our superstar sub!!" i'd say they were lying. We all knew he was gonna be a huge dice roll in the playoffs and quite honestly, it's not at all that hard to tilt the odds against him with very simple gameplans. And in the meantime kobe brown, who looked like he was figuring things out, lost any potential growth or chance, which led to a chain reaction of relying on (and being eliminated with) PJ tucker as a starting PF in game 6. Bones looked like he could do some stuff at the start of the season, conversely was stapled to the bench for the vast majority of said season, and it was just perfectly timed so that we watch westbrook become an ABSOLUTE BLIGHT on the court for us over an entire playoff series.

- westbrook's presence itself kinda comes back to how he even got on the team to begin with, which pretty much was cause paul george pushed for him. Hann in particular was very harsh on him, and he brought up one thing i was thinking of writing up i think after game 5 but just kinda couldn't muster up the effort for (perhaps not unironically like PG"s play overall in the series). When things get tough for him, he doesn't seem to have that fierceness or grit in him to amp it up and impose his will or aggression. And you just can't be that kind of player and think things are gonna go well. It's the easy way out for PG too often and we can't give max money to a player like that.

Anyway, i kinda agree that the outcome was somewhat predictable. I have no idea how PJ tucker didn't get exiled into god damn siberia for the crap he was talking, and if there's one way to obliterate chemistry in any place it's to let entitled idiots and malcontents get their way when they deliver you absolutely nothing, all while the boss lets them run amok. So while i'm personally not opposed to a complete reset of the front office, coaching staff, and core of the team, the cost of doing so isn't on track with the assets and core that we have. Our best chance at making our way through the end of the tunnel is unfortunately to grit our teeth, try to re-sign harden and PG, and to see where the chips fall. And obviously ideally try to recoup assets each of the big 3 if plan A doesn't work out (and at this point i doubt it will). But at least coming away with something is better than nothing at all.

I don't have a lot of optimism for the next season for a million reasons. But if i were to craft some kind story where it could all work?

- both PG/harden get re-signed, with tucker sent to siberia/china/i don't care where just not here, and westbrook opts out for greener pastures. and i don't really care if paul george stays on with the team or not, but we absolutely cannot lose him for nothing, so keep him to keep him, keep him to trade him, idc.

- bones/brown get all the time they need to become real players, with kai jones also giving us good backup big minutes, with theis as a go-between - and obviously plumlee can't stay unless it's for a vet min or something.

- kawhi continues to rebuild long-term health and is finally where he needs to be to have a sustained playoff run.

- and all this (ideally) is enough to get the team back to the offense and defense it was at before things went to hell, but this team with some pieces shifted around here and there, and the wasted parts jettisoned, of course.

obviously no idea how it'll all work out but yeah, it's sports, so here's hoping i suppose.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#132 » by esqtvd » Tue May 7, 2024 4:39 am

More on Pat Riley vs Jimmy B. Same deal as here. 5 years of playing about 60 games.

Jimmy's camp hits back.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nba/jimmy-butler-s-agent-fires-back-at-heat-president-pat-riley-s-availability-narrative/ar-BB1lVv6M

Jimmy still played 2042 minutes and an @Miami high of 34.0 minutes a game. Kawhi played 68 games, 2340 minutes, 3rd-highest in his CAREER [his highest @LAC], 34.3 mpg.

We should probably drag Embiid in here somewhere too, whose career high is 68 games, and managed only 39 this year, albeit @34 mpg, with a lot of 4th quarters sat out [the Sixers were an insane 31-8 when he took the court]. Giannis too.

The problem with all 4 teams is they're ass with their best player off the floor. Their teams are built around them and if Coach tries to rest them, you fall behind by 10 before he gets his sweats on and back off.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#133 » by Clemenza » Tue May 7, 2024 7:06 am

Ballings7 wrote:Ant Edwards aside, I hope LAC is watching this Denver/Minnesota series to get some ideas.

While they're swarming Jokic and actually bodying him up on every single possession along with Murray, we're probably thinking of new small ball tactics with PJ Tucker at center.
Clemenza
Lead Assistant

Post#134 » by Clemenza » Tue May 7, 2024 7:17 am

donemilio21 wrote:
MartinToVaught wrote:

This. Frank says the exact same things every year. I wouldn't trust the word he says. For all we know, Kawhi might have had another knee surgery that would keep out all of 24-25 season, we just won't find out until October, and Frank would be out there talking how excited he is for Kawhi and PG and HArden to have a offseason together.

This right here! We literally have no clue on the severity of Kawhi's latest knee injury. Once he missed the two back to back Suns games in the final week of the season I knew he was f*cked. If PG isn't signed and Kawhi isn't ready by the start of the season, things could get spooky.
MartinToVaught
RealGM
And1: 17,274

Post#135 » by MartinToVaught » Tue May 7, 2024 2:36 pm

Read on Twitter

I mean, it's just astounding how the Clippers do literally everything wrong. We're still trying to buy championships under a financially punishing CBA where having a huge payroll is a disadvantage, not a benefit.
Roscoe Sheed
RealGM
And1: 4,506

Post#136 » by Roscoe Sheed » Tue May 7, 2024 3:08 pm

Clemenza wrote:
Ballings7 wrote:Ant Edwards aside, I hope LAC is watching this Denver/Minnesota series to get some ideas.

While they're swarming Jokic and actually bodying him up on every single possession along with Murray, we're probably thinking of new small ball tactics with PJ Tucker at center.

if the Clippers tried playing defense like that they would be called for 100 fouls a game
KL2
Analyst

Post#137 » by KL2 » Tue May 7, 2024 3:15 pm

Clemenza wrote:This right here! We literally have no clue on the severity of Kawhi's latest knee injury. Once he missed the two back to back Suns games in the final week of the season I knew he was f*cked. If PG isn't signed and Kawhi isn't ready by the start of the season, things could get spooky.

I hate how they report injuries. It’s so infuriating that it’s once the playoffs are over we get the real answer. We’re so trained to think they’re lying and go to the worst case scenario. For all players now. Not just Leonard.

This time though? Lawrence Frank is doubling and tripling down on nothing structurally wrong with his knee. It’s tricky and stubborn inflammation. They’ve never taken the lie/misinformation this far before. What would be the point? They’d also be holding out on team USA basketball. They might not care about the fans but I would like to think they wouldn’t eff around with them.
wakelaunch1
Senior
And1: 390

Post#138 » by wakelaunch1 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:22 pm

Resign Harden for 2 years 30 per season, let Russ walk, let PG walk, start Coffey in PGs spot with Kawhi/Harden, Elevate Brown to starting lineup with Zu.

Harden/Bones/buy another second round and draft Bronny James
Coffey/Mann
Kawhi/Boston
Brown/Kai Jones/ draft Jaedon Ledee in the second round
Zubac/resign Theis

Trade Ty Lue to the Lakers for a first or second round pick
Fire the GM.
KL2
Analyst

Post#139 » by KL2 » Tue May 7, 2024 11:36 pm

Coffey had a nice run but I don’t want to seem him starting ever again.

I wouldn’t mind if they moved on from him depending on other moves.

But he’s got the catchy phrases so he’ll stay for that alone.
esqtvd
RealGM

Post#140 » by esqtvd » Tue May 7, 2024 11:46 pm

brutal Stephen A

--Fire L-Frank

--Kawhi available for only 4 of 19 playoff games as a Clipper; plays just enough to get PAID

--for PG, CA income tax is 13%; PA is 3%; Embiid and Maxey await you

--re Beard: Choked AGAIN in the playoffs

Read on Twitter

Return to Los Angeles Clippers