"Livingston Takes Studious Path"

Moderators: og15, TrueLAfan

mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

"Livingston Takes Studious Path" 

Post#1 » by mkwest » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:52 am

For all the sitting and watching he is doing, Shaun Livingston hopes it will make him a better player.

Still rehabilitating from a serious knee injury, Livingston said he is watching plenty of game footage and is confident it will transform him into a more intuitive player when he returns, possibly in mid- to late March.

"I think the game will be easier and slow down, once I get back into rhythm," he said. "It might take a little bit -- because I've been out for so long -- but I think watching film and everything will help me."

Livingston said he is unsure whether he will play in summer league, but regardless, he'll work through the summer instead of taking a usual break.

"Once I'm 100%, I'll be able to make the adjustment coming back to play, but I still want to continue to work through the summer," he said.

LA Times
Manhattan Project
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,979

Post#2 » by Manhattan Project » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:44 pm

Im curious of what game film he is looking at im hoping its from the matchup against Steve Nash in the playoffs. That when it started to clicked for him, he played with so much confidence.
Jazz:
Allen l Wagner
Randle l Olynyk
Porter Jr l Marshall l Tucker
Herro l Okogie l Payton
Fox l Jones
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#3 » by loflin3hree5ive » Thu Jan 17, 2008 12:01 am

i'm not so sure how much watching film will enhance shaun's natural ability to see the floor but i really hope shaun notices how many opportunities have been there for him that he misses when he isn't playing as aggressive as he should. maybe because of his injury he'll appreciate his opportunities more and won't take his talent for granted once he returns.
mj_shoefanatic
Assistant Coach
And1: 104

Post#4 » by mj_shoefanatic » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:59 am

He just needs to perfect a reliable 10-12 ft jumper b/c his passing skill set is impeccable bum knee or not.
JJ LoDuca
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#5 » by JJ LoDuca » Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:17 am

Kinda like loflin said, I don't see how watching film is gonna make Shaunie a better baller. I've been watching Allen Iverson play since his first days in the league and it hasn't made my crossover any better...I'm just saying. I can't wait to watch him play with confidence again, this guy knows how to play the game! I miss seeing him, but I'm glad he's not rushing anything. Although we might have to wait til next season to see him play at a premium level, I'm thinkin it'll be worth it.
-Ms. JJ
mkwest
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,728

Post#6 » by mkwest » Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:22 am

I think watching film can help him identify strengths and weaknesses in his game from an analytical standpoint. It'll give him the perspective of being on the outside looking in. His confidence in his abilities is critical. I know that the idea physical contact is going to be a mental battle that he must overcome. Depending on how much playing time he gets this season, maybe playing in the summer league would help him prep him for next season when Sam is gone and it's just Brevin and some rookie or free agent at the point position. I'd really like to see him strengthen himself this summer, and hook up with a good nutritionist if hasn't done so already.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,250

Post#7 » by tsherkin » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:03 pm

I think what may be MOST encouraging is that he's not at all considering trying to play THIS season; he's not even sure that he'll play in the summer league.

That, to me, bespeaks the kind of cautious timeline that will help him come back at full health and stay as close to there as possible, given his generally injury-prone history.

Ultimately, it's probably the best news anyone's heard about Livingston; if he's going to take that kind of time to rehab and come back, he'll have had tons of time to watch tape and learn about the game, then work on his shot, etc.

I'm quite enthused. :D
cinnamon
Starter
And1: 1

Post#8 » by cinnamon » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:47 pm

I always found Shaun to be a very intuitive player by nature. It's possible that studying game tapes will enhance this, as he seems to believe it is doing.
Watching the tapes can't hurt, and it may well help --- surely all teams use game tapes for teaching and for leading to improvements.
Good for him, having such dedication to improving even when he can't play.
loflin3hree5ive
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 65

Post#9 » by loflin3hree5ive » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:56 am

tsherkin wrote:I think what may be MOST encouraging is that he's not at all considering trying to play THIS season; he's not even sure that he'll play in the summer league.

That, to me, bespeaks the kind of cautious timeline that will help him come back at full health and stay as close to there as possible, given his generally injury-prone history.

Ultimately, it's probably the best news anyone's heard about Livingston; if he's going to take that kind of time to rehab and come back, he'll have had tons of time to watch tape and learn about the game, then work on his shot, etc.

I'm quite enthused. :D

shaun hasn't even hinted at not coming back this season. i didn't think he was implying he'd sit the season but you could be right. when i read that he wasn't sure if he'd be in summer league i took it as he may play a handful of games this year then continue to work out in the summer.
tsherkin
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 21,250

Post#10 » by tsherkin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:17 am

loflin3hree5ive wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

shaun hasn't even hinted at not coming back this season. i didn't think he was implying he'd sit the season but you could be right. when i read that he wasn't sure if he'd be in summer league i took it as he may play a handful of games this year then continue to work out in the summer.

I'd really be happiest if he didn't play a game the rest of this season; there's absolutely nothing positive to come from him coming back now.

The Clippers are 11-23 right now and that means there are 48 games left; Livingston cannot make an appreciable difference in the season for the Clippers. There are 11 teams ahead of them right now and they are 2.5 games back of the closest one, which is the Kings; they're 9 games back from the 8th seed. So coming back now might actually be detrimental to the team in general. Let the team that's out there compete hard and refuse to tank; that's respectable.

But it's just sensible to take the extra time to rehab, watch that tape, work on that jumper and avoid the possibility of reinjuring the leg or incurring another injury so he can be 100%, that's the best MO, in my opinion.
ClipperDomination
Veteran
And1: 2

Post#11 » by ClipperDomination » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:18 am

Smart decision by Livingston to not even think about coming back this season, and just think about when he'll be able to recover from the terrible injury he suffered. He is making very mature decisions at a young age, so I applaud him for that.

Return to Los Angeles Clippers