Banned User
And1: 0

Aaron will not celebrate if Bonds breaks record 

Post#1 » by BS007 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:57 am

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=a ... &type=lgns

Aaron doesn't plan to celebrate if Bonds breaks record

April 10, 2007

AP - Apr 10, 4:06 pm EDT

ATLANTA (AP) -- Hank Aaron doesn't plan to be at the ballpark if and when Barry Bonds breaks his home run record.

"Uh-uh. No, no. I'm not going to be around," Aaron was quoted as saying in Tuesday's editions of The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Bonds has 735 homers, 20 short of Aaron's career record. While Aaron has declined most interview requests in recent months, he spoke with Journal-Constitution columnist Terence Moore.

Aaron said he wouldn't attend if Bonds were within reach of the record when the San Francisco Giants play at Atlanta from Aug. 14-16.

"I'd probably fly to West Palm Beach to play golf," Aaron was quoted as saying in Moore's column. "Again, it has nothing to do with anybody, other than I had enough of it. I don't want to be around that sort of thing anymore. I just want to be at peace with myself. I don't want to answer questions. It's going to be a no-win situation for me anyway. If I go, people are going to say, `Well, he went because of this.' If I don't go, they'll say whatever. I'll just let them make their own mind up."

Aaron, who did not return a call from The Associated Press, said baseball commissioner Bud Selig has told him that Bonds has asked several times why Aaron hasn't contacted him as he approaches the record.

"I don't talk to anybody, really, and I've never talked to Barry, outside of that commercial we did together a few years ago, and a few other short times," Aaron was quoted as saying. "I'm 72 years old, and I'm not hopping on a plane and flying all the way to San Francisco for anybody."

Speaking before Monday night's game in San Diego, Bonds said he wasn't bothered by Aaron's stance.

"He has every right to do what he wants to do. I respect that," Bonds said. "There's no reason for me to be disappointed. If he has other plans, other things to do, I respect that. He's his own man. He can do what he wants to do. I respect that. No hard feelings.

"Now if Willie wasn't there, I'd be disappointed," he said, referring to his godfather, Willie Mays.

Updated on Tuesday, Apr 10, 2007 8:45 pm EDT
Rainmaker
Pro Prospect

Post#2 » by Rainmaker » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:48 pm

Good for Hank.

I'd prefer to see Bonds break his leg than the home run record

(go ahead, call me what you want, I hate Bonds as a player and a person)
God is a Red Sox fan
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by lpsevier » Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:32 pm

Even if he liked Bonds, why would this be reason to celebrate for Hank personally?
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#4 » by High 5 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:16 am

The thing about Bonds is even if he wasn't an obvious cheater, people still wouldn't like him because he's an ****.
sunshinekids99
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 228

Post#5 » by sunshinekids99 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:26 am

High 5 wrote:The thing about Bonds is even if he wasn't an obvious cheater, people still wouldn't like him because he's an ****.

Regardless if he is an ass or not, to me that doesn't matter. I would have respect for the guy playing that long and being that good. Now I can't say I have any respect for the guy. He doesn't deserve any record he has and sadly MLB will let him have them.
High 5
RealGM
And1: 2,088

Post#6 » by High 5 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:10 am

I would've definitely respected him as a baseball player, but that doesn't mean I would've liked him.
jumanji
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#7 » by jumanji » Sat Apr 14, 2007 2:19 am

Asterisk?
Celtic Esquire
General Manager
And1: 3,694

Post#8 » by Celtic Esquire » Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:13 am

I'm glad there was a rain out today in Pittsburgh.

The thought of Bonds wearing #42 makes me sick to my stomach.
edney2polynice_
Senior

Post#9 » by edney2polynice_ » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:01 am

Aarons just pissed he never had half the talent of Bonds or Mays.

Anyone who believes Hank Aaron never cheated has never played the game of baseball in his life. Period. You can argue levels of cheating until you're blue in the face, but the simple fact of the matter is that Hank is as guilty of using "greenies" as Barry, as Maris, as Mantle, as DiMaggio and as anyone else who has played in the past 40 years.

Cheating is cheating. Whether it's a little or a lot is just a matter of degree.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,200

Post#10 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 2:13 am

edney2polynice_ wrote:Aarons just pissed he never had half the talent of Bonds or Mays.

:roll:
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
CousinOfDeath
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,260

Post#11 » by CousinOfDeath » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:17 am

Neither will I.
suckfish wrote:Reminder: NBA players are stupid.
Puertorique
Banned User

Post#12 » by Puertorique » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:27 am

edney2polynice_ wrote:Aarons just pissed he never had half the talent of Bonds or Mays.

Anyone who believes Hank Aaron never cheated has never played the game of baseball in his life. Period. You can argue levels of cheating until you're blue in the face, but the simple fact of the matter is that Hank is as guilty of using "greenies" as Barry, as Maris, as Mantle, as DiMaggio and as anyone else who has played in the past 40 years.

Cheating is cheating. Whether it's a little or a lot is just a matter of degree.

edney2polynice_
Senior

Post#13 » by edney2polynice_ » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 am

Puertorique wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Oh, it's the 'I don't have a logical arguement' emoticon.
lpsevier
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by lpsevier » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:51 pm

No I think they're referring to how ridiculous your statement was.

I don't think Aaron is "pissed" about Barry Bonds or Mays.

What grounds do you have for that statement? Make that logical, please.
studcrackers
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 6,100

Post#15 » by studcrackers » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:15 pm

the thing that i dont like is he said he wont travel these days for anything and just stays at home in georgia then we see him in LA yesterday. Granted it was Jackie Robinson Day but I'd say Bonds breaking the biggest record in sports should also warrant a visit from Aaron. I think it goes to show that he doesnt wanto see him break it and frankly i dont blame him.
Jugs wrote: I saw two buttholes
edney2polynice_
Senior

Post#16 » by edney2polynice_ » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:54 pm

lpsevier wrote:No I think they're referring to how ridiculous your statement was.

I don't think Aaron is "pissed" about Barry Bonds or Mays.

What grounds do you have for that statement? Make that logical, please.

That was just a toungue & cheek comment - what Aaron is saying, despite the fact that he is pretty crystal clear about how he feels. He doesn't want to be part if the idiotic circus, the hype perpetuated by the media and the hysteria that is embraced by the ignorant masses.

But he, like many others hall of famerers has cheated before.
DakkaFromNyc
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#17 » by DakkaFromNyc » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:07 am

Who will??, certainily not me
DakkaFromNyc
Assistant Coach
And1: 1

Post#18 » by DakkaFromNyc » Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:08 am

cuz im gonna hold the early celeberation for wen A-Rod breaks it

Return to The General MLB Board