ImageImageImage

Keep or trade the #1 pick?

Moderator: craig01

What would you do?

Keep #1 pick draft one of Mariota/Winston
88%
Keep #1 pick draft Leonard Williams to pair with McCoy,draft B Petty/Hundley in rd 2
No votes
Trade #1 pick(staying in top 10) draft OT Peat/Scherff/Ogbuehi, B Petty/Hundley in rd 2
13%

Total votes: 8

Giannis Parker
Banned User
And1: 169

Re: Keep or trade the #1 pick? 

Post#21 » by Giannis Parker » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:23 pm

If we want a young QB to work on our team, it starts in the trenches. We absolutely should trade down from #1 to 7-10, grab the best O-Line player, and take a QB with the 2nd or 3rd round pick we get from trading down.

If I was sold Mariota or Jamies, I would take em, me personally, do not think Mariota fits our system, and do not want to deal with the issues Jamies brings off the field.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#22 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Feb 14, 2015 6:35 pm

Passing on Jameis, would be a HUGE mistake by the Bucs. Mark my words, he lead what ever team drafts him, to the Super Bowl and win a Super Bowl for that team during his career. As an FSU fan, I'm not worried about the off field issues, as ESPN blew it all way out of proportion and reported whatever they wanted. Buccaneers HOF Derrick Brooks wants the Bucs to draft Jameis, and he said he would mentor Jameis.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#23 » by craig01 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:00 am

I do believe that the Bucs will take Winston at number one barring any other issues that arise.

I don't know that he's going to lead the Bucs to the promised land as that will take two good lines, good schemes, and a good defense.

He is the better prospect than Mariota, but I am not really sold on either QB.

I still cast my vote for Williams.....
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,505

Post#24 » by MagicFan101 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:30 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:Next, while he did still have Rashad Greene and Nick O'Leary, Jameis really missed Kelvin Benjamin(with Carolina Panthers), who we all know is a 6'5" 240 lb WR, with a terrific catch radius. It was evident that KB was a big loss in our passing game even with Greene and NOL still around.

Don't forget Kenny Shaw.
Orlampa
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#25 » by Orlampa » Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:10 am

Nemesis21 wrote:Passing on Jameis, would be a HUGE mistake by the Bucs. Mark my words, he lead what ever team drafts him, to the Super Bowl and win a Super Bowl for that team during his career. As an FSU fan, I'm not worried about the off field issues, as ESPN blew it all way out of proportion and reported whatever they wanted. Buccaneers HOF Derrick Brooks wants the Bucs to draft Jameis, and he said he would mentor Jameis.

I agree with you for the most part. Espn did a great job of blowing everything Winston related out of proportion. Yes Winston made some mistakes but I chalk them up to him being immature, not because he's a loose cannon attracted to adversity.

While he is a great talent I belive the success he has in the NFL will be highly dependant on the situation he gets drafted into and who he had around him. The more I read about Winston the more I think that we will and should draft him. I admit I was hesitant at first but the day Derrick Brooks came out and said he'd mentor Winston it was a rap. Please L&L, don't pass up on this kid and our chance of having a true franchise QB for the first time in team history.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#26 » by NoStatsGuy » Sat Mar 7, 2015 9:38 am

go with a qb at one. ATM i value mariota higher than jameis, just bcasue mariota seems to be a smart ass guy who could adept. Winston might be a better prospect cuz of his raw talent, but u see what brady became.. no off court issues and a higher football IQ at the QB nothing more u can ask for. I think its in the coaches hands to make mariota great
im bout dat action boss
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#27 » by denterprise » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:18 am

RottenApple wrote:go with a qb at one. ATM i value mariota higher than jameis, just bcasue mariota seems to be a smart ass guy who could adept. Winston might be a better prospect cuz of his raw talent, but u see what brady became.. no off court issues and a higher football IQ at the QB nothing more u can ask for. I think its in the coaches hands to make mariota great

Winston has a very high football IQ and ran a pro style offense at Florida State. He is known for being very detailed in his preparation for games and has demonstrated great leadership on the field and in the locker room the last two years. He graduated from high school with a 4.0 GPA and his GPA in college is not far from that. Mariota seems to be a fine prospect also but he has not run a pro style offense as Jameis has. Maybe he can adjust but you already know that Jameis can.

I think you have it backwards, Mariota has a ton of raw talent and Winston has shown more intelligence on the field, sitting in the pocket weighting all his options in a matter of seconds. Mariota would use his speed to escape and make big plays. That may not fly in the NFL where the defensive line and secondary can negate his speed.

As far as off field issues, Ben Roethlisberger had issues he is doing just fine. Peyton Manning turned out fine despite his off field issues in college as a young man. Funny no one questioned his intelligence or tried to brand him a miscreant despite him mooning a female athlete and pulling down his shorts and sitting on the female trainers face. You can read the story yourself. http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/18/peyton ... t-mooning/

If you want to focus on the off field issues do so but it has no bearing on his skills.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,461

Post#28 » by NoStatsGuy » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:09 am

denterprise wrote:
RottenApple wrote:go with a qb at one. ATM i value mariota higher than jameis, just bcasue mariota seems to be a smart ass guy who could adept. Winston might be a better prospect cuz of his raw talent, but u see what brady became.. no off court issues and a higher football IQ at the QB nothing more u can ask for. I think its in the coaches hands to make mariota great

Winston has a very high football IQ and ran a pro style offense at Florida State. He is known for being very detailed in his preparation for games and has demonstrated great leadership on the field and in the locker room the last two years. He graduated from high school with a 4.0 GPA and his GPA in college is not far from that. Mariota seems to be a fine prospect also but he has not run a pro style offense as Jameis has. Maybe he can adjust but you already know that Jameis can.

I think you have it backwards, Mariota has a ton of raw talent and Winston has shown more intelligence on the field, sitting in the pocket weighting all his options in a matter of seconds. Mariota would use his speed to escape and make big plays. That may not fly in the NFL where the defensive line and secondary can negate his speed.

As far as off field issues, Ben Roethlisberger had issues he is doing just fine. Peyton Manning turned out fine despite his off field issues in college as a young man. Funny no one questioned his intelligence or tried to brand him a miscreant despite him mooning a female athlete and pulling down his shorts and sitting on the female trainers face. You can read the story yourself. http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/18/peyton ... t-mooning/

If you want to focus on the off field issues do so but it has no bearing on his skills.

Haha!! well, i guess im too young to know about the Manning stroy though. LMAO

i dunno man. by no means i would call myself an expert or anything in football, but to me mariota seems way more smarter and professional to me. i might got it twisted with the talent and iq stuff. but thats just what i got from the games i saw. Jameis has an incredible arm and throws a nice spiral etc. But mariota just threw 3 picks.. i mean what kind of decisionmakin is that? Thats ultra supa dupa good to me. It might be the system mariota is running for years and his comfort level.

Winston, for my understanding, has a huge bust potential. But i just might be too less of a football, especially ncaa, guy to know better ;)
im bout dat action boss
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#29 » by craig01 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:41 pm

Should the Bucs select a QB at #1, it absolutely should be Winston.

The scary part about Mariota is that he may be a system QB, hasn't really had to make throws into traffic because of the offense he was in.

Winston was shaky at times last year, but he has good vision from the pocket and a great arm in traffic.

Mariota can run like a deer, has a good arm, but from what I saw of him last year ..... not a great arm.

Add to it the nfl learning curve, and it may take several years before Mariota develops.

That being said, if I were the GM of the Bucs I would look to gain more likely value from that pick. Trade it, select L Williams instead
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
denterprise
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,021

Post#30 » by denterprise » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:30 am

After the NFL Pro Day it is being reported Marcus Mariota is slipping in the draft. There is speculation he could slip to the Eagles at number 20. There is concern over his arm strength and the ability to throw the deep ball. If the Bucs take a QB it will be Winston.

Return to Tampa Bay Buccaneers