ImageImageImageImage

Preseason Games Thread

Moderator: Texas Chuck

Mamba42
Pro Prospect
And1: 171

Preseason Games Thread 

Post#1 » by Mamba42 » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:19 am

Didn't see a place to talk about the games. Dowdle looks pretty solid today so far! Also that was a great catch by Tolbert. He seems to have WR4 locked down
Micah Prescott
Analyst
And1: 1,184

Re: Preseason Games Thread 

Post#2 » by Micah Prescott » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:53 am

Read on Twitter

Against the 1st string starters too

@Cactus Jack
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#3 » by Micah Prescott » Sun Aug 20, 2023 2:56 am

We should try looks with both Parsons and Sam on the left outside. D-Law on the right. So much pass rush talent.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#4 » by Micah Prescott » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:40 am

Read on Twitter

Fan favorite
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,503

Post#5 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:29 am

Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

Fan favorite

That was a terrible attempt at a Tackle. But still pretty cool. :wink:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#6 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:07 pm

Was rooting for Overshown. He was having a great camp & going to be a weapon.

Guess we’ll see him next year.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#7 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Fwiw only one of those reps was not against the starters.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#8 » by Cactus Jack » Sun Aug 20, 2023 5:13 pm

Otis Driftwood wrote:Was rooting for Overshown. He was having a great camp & going to be a weapon.

That's a bummer. They need to outlaw injuries during the preseason.
Otis Driftwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,982

Post#9 » by Otis Driftwood » Sun Aug 20, 2023 6:35 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Otis Driftwood wrote:Was rooting for Overshown. He was having a great camp & going to be a weapon.

That's a bummer. They need to outlaw injuries during the preseason.

I have a solution… not one that the owners are interested in but I have one.
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it."
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#10 » by Micah Prescott » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:43 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Read on Twitter

Fwiw only one of those reps was not against the starters.

Dang that's hard to watch :nonono:
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#11 » by Micah Prescott » Sun Aug 20, 2023 9:44 pm

Read on Twitter
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM
And1: 3,358

Post#12 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Aug 21, 2023 6:15 pm

I'm very disappointed with how Mazi Smith looked and played. He looks very out of shape to me and not ready to make an impact. As a first round draft choice of the Dallas Cowboys I expected way more out of him than he has shown so far. Coming into camp being in shape and at least being semi ripped should have been a given. At the moment I question his total commitment to being the best possible player he can be. Reviewing the film on him the past 2 games I see a red flag player with an eating disorder.
Mr B
RealGM
And1: 4,152

Post#13 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:27 pm

Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

I really hated to see Overshown and Stephens suffer season ending injuries. Both really looked like they would be contributors this season.

On the bright side Jalen Tolbert looked good again. I think the WR’s are set now with Tolbert and Turpin being the 4 & 5 WR’s. Dowdle also looks like the clear favorite to backup Pollard with Duece being the gadget guy and screen guy.

As for Mazi, he’s not out of shape first of all. His problems are his technique. He’s slow off the snap, plays too high, and was getting himself turned around all game. The coaches are really going to need to work with him to get that corrected. Because of that expect he’ll be the 3rd 1-tech DT behind Hankins and Bohanon to start the season.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#14 » by Cactus Jack » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:39 pm

Mr B wrote:As for Mazi, he’s not out of shape first of all. His problems are his technique. He’s slow off the snap, plays too high, and was getting himself turned around all game. The coaches are really going to need to work with him to get that corrected. Because of that expect he’ll be the 3rd 1-tech DT behind Hankins and Bohanon to start the season.

Agreed.

He struggled against guys (starters) with experience. Mainly due to technique & being out of position. He has a learning curve as a rookie. High pad level can be an issue for a lot of younger guys when they first come into the league.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#15 » by bluejerseyjinx » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:38 pm

Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

I really hated to see Overshown and Stephens suffer season ending injuries. Both really looked like they would be contributors this season.

On the bright side Jalen Tolbert looked good again. I think the WR’s are set now with Tolbert and Turpin being the 4 & 5 WR’s. Dowdle also looks like the clear favorite to backup Pollard with Duece being the gadget guy and screen guy.

As for Mazi, he’s not out of shape first of all. His problems are his technique. He’s slow off the snap, plays too high, and was getting himself turned around all game. The coaches are really going to need to work with him to get that corrected. Because of that expect he’ll be the 3rd 1-tech DT behind Hankins and Bohanon to start the season.

Not disagreeing in anything you posted regarding his technique, playing too high, etc., but I'm sorry, he's out of shape. I know DT's are suppose to be huge, stalkey, big chested, wide waist line guys with tree trunks for legs, but come on. There are DT's that are huge and ripped with muscle and then you have huge DT's with jelly belly fat.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#16 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:41 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Mr B wrote:As for Mazi, he’s not out of shape first of all. His problems are his technique. He’s slow off the snap, plays too high, and was getting himself turned around all game. The coaches are really going to need to work with him to get that corrected. Because of that expect he’ll be the 3rd 1-tech DT behind Hankins and Bohanon to start the season.

Agreed.

He struggled against guys (starters) with experience. Mainly due to technique & being out of position. He has a learning curve as a rookie. High pad level can be an issue for a lot of younger guys when they first come into the league.

Yea his problems are nothing that experience and coaching can’t help.
Mr B
RealGM

Post#17 » by Mr B » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:46 pm

bluejerseyjinx wrote:
Mr B wrote:
Micah Prescott wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not disagreeing in anything you posted regarding his technique, playing too high, etc., but I'm sorry, he's out of shape. I know DT's are suppose to be huge, stalkey, big chested, wide waist line guys with tree trunks for legs, but come on. There are DT's that are huge and ripped with muscle and then you have huge DT's with jelly belly fat.

That’s going to take time. Rookies do not typically come into the NFL with a nutritionist. All off season all we’ve been hearing is how Mazi is a beast in the gym. He’s not out of shape. He likely just needs to work on his diet.
bluejerseyjinx
RealGM

Post#18 » by bluejerseyjinx » Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:31 am

He looks like a guy that would have a hard time doing 50 sit ups right now.
Micah Prescott
Analyst

Post#19 » by Micah Prescott » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:18 pm

I'm going to reserve judgement on Mazi, way too early. But everything I am hearing and reading is saying that the strength and athleticism is there and it is just a matter of him learning NFL reads, blocks, techniques, etc. And that once all of that "snaps" in for him he'll be reading to go. The only question is how long will it take before his mental adjustments to click for him? Could be there week 1, or it could be later in the season. I will say that if he isn't our starting DT by week 8 that I will then be worried. Ideally your 1st rd pick is a day 1 starter.

We need him to close up the middle for us. That is what we lacked last season, and that is what his main role on the team is. Not sacking the QB, just clogging up the middle and preventing the RB from 5+ yard runs. If we are nearing playoff time and teams are still running up the middle on us that will hint at Mazi being a busted pick.

Return to Dallas Cowboys